Calc- don't show the decimal point

PDA1 PDA1

Calc- don't show the decimal point

A calc sheet I've made has thousands of 4 place decimal numbers that
never go over .9999  (it's a cosine trig. figure)

The decimal place takes up space on the sheet(s) and isn't needed as the
sheet will be printed out as a PDF.

Can someone please tell me how to get rid of the decimal point and so
that the resulting number doesn't change?

Alek

Spencer Graves-2 Spencer Graves-2

Re: Calc- don't show the decimal point

On 1/19/2016 7:55 AM, Alek wrote:
> A calc sheet I've made has thousands of 4 place decimal numbers that
> never go over .9999  (it's a cosine trig. figure)
>
> The decimal place takes up space on the sheet(s) and isn't needed as the
> sheet will be printed out as a PDF.
>
> Can someone please tell me how to get rid of the decimal point and so
> that the resulting number doesn't change?

       Multiply by 10000 then display as integer?

       You can do this in an extra display column beside the column with
the number you want to display, then Format > Column > Hide the column
with the number you want to display.  This is not as emotionally
satisfying as doing it with a special format code, but I don't know the
latter, and this will work.  Hope this helps. Spencer Graves

PDA1 PDA1

On 01/19/2016 09:09 AM, Spencer Graves wrote:

> On 1/19/2016 7:55 AM, Alek wrote:
>> A calc sheet I've made has thousands of 4 place decimal numbers that
>> never go over .9999  (it's a cosine trig. figure)
>>
>> The decimal place takes up space on the sheet(s) and isn't needed as the
>> sheet will be printed out as a PDF.
>>
>> Can someone please tell me how to get rid of the decimal point and so
>> that the resulting number doesn't change?
>

>       Multiply by 10000 then display as integer?

That's perfect.

Thanks,

Alek

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 08:09 19/01/2016 -0600, Spencer Graves wrote:

>On 1/19/2016 7:55 AM, Alek Solzhenitsyn wrote:
>>A calc sheet I've made has thousands of 4 place decimal numbers
>>that never go over .9999  (it's a cosine trig. figure). The decimal
>>place takes up space on the sheet(s) and isn't needed as the sheet
>>will be printed out as a PDF. Can someone please tell me how to get
>>rid of the decimal point and so that the resulting number doesn't change?
>
>Multiply by 10000 then display as integer?
>
>You can do this in an extra display column beside the column with
>the number you want to display, then Format > Column > Hide the
>column with the number you want to display. This is not as
>emotionally satisfying as doing it with a special format code, but I
>don't know the latter, and this will work.

Even simpler, why not construct your spreadsheet so that it handles
the numbers you really want instead of those that you don't? Change
your formulae - surely a simple task? - to calculate with up-to-
four-digit integers instead of the fractional ones you have. You will
find the number 10000 helpful. You can easily *think* 0.1234 when you
read "1234" in a cell.

You will want to format the cells as "0000" so that what you think of
as 0.0123 will appear as "0123" and not "123".

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

PDA1 PDA1

On 01/19/2016 09:41 AM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 08:09 19/01/2016 -0600, Spencer Graves wrote:
>> On 1/19/2016 7:55 AM, Alek Solzhenitsyn wrote:
>>> A calc sheet I've made has thousands of 4 place decimal numbers that
>>> never go over .9999  (it's a cosine trig. figure). The decimal place
>>> takes up space on the sheet(s) and isn't needed as the sheet will be
>>> printed out as a PDF. Can someone please tell me how to get rid of
>>> the decimal point and so that the resulting number doesn't change?
>>
>> Multiply by 10000 then display as integer?
>>
>> You can do this in an extra display column beside the column with the
>> number you want to display, then Format > Column > Hide the column
>> with the number you want to display. This is not as emotionally
>> satisfying as doing it with a special format code, but I don't know
>> the latter, and this will work.
>
> Even simpler, why not construct your spreadsheet so that it handles
> the numbers you really want instead of those that you don't? Change
> your formulae - surely a simple task? - to calculate with up-to-
> four-digit integers instead of the fractional ones you have. You will
> find the number 10000 helpful. You can easily *think* 0.1234 when you
> read "1234" in a cell.
>
> You will want to format the cells as "0000" so that what you think of
> as 0.0123 will appear as "0123" and not "123".
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Brian, I'm not smart.

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 10:14 19/01/2016 -0500, Alek Solzhenitsyn wrote:
>Brian, I'm not smart.

I'm not sure if you are being serious, but it's not a question of
being smart or not - so I don't accept that you are not. It's very
easy to miss ideas that may happen to occur to others.

Brian Barker

On 1/19/2016 10:20 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 10:14 19/01/2016 -0500, Alek Solzhenitsyn wrote:
>> Brian, I'm not smart.
>
> I'm not sure if you are being serious, but it's not a question of
> being smart or not - so I don't accept that you are not. It's very
> easy to miss ideas that may happen to occur to others.
>
> Brian Barker

You need Format > Cells > Numbers: Format code = 0000

With this, 0.1 appears as "0000" and 0.6 as "0001".

For more on this, see
"https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Number_Format_Codes", which I found
searching for "libreoffice calc display fractions without decimal point".

I agree with Brian:  The foremost experts in any field may not be able
to solve problems that "lesser" minds handle easily.  That's why a
second opinion in medicine (or anything else) can be useful.

       Spencer Graves

PDA1 PDA1

On 01/19/2016 11:36 AM, Spencer Graves wrote:

> On 1/19/2016 10:20 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
>> At 10:14 19/01/2016 -0500, Alek Solzhenitsyn wrote:
>>> Brian, I'm not smart.
>>
>> I'm not sure if you are being serious, but it's not a question of
>> being smart or not - so I don't accept that you are not. It's very
>> easy to miss ideas that may happen to occur to others.
>>
>> Brian Barker
>>

> You need Format > Cells > Numbers: Format code = 0000
>

> With this, 0.1 appears as "0000" and 0.6 as "0001".

That isn't what I want- the wrong answer.

> For more on this, see
> "https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Number_Format_Codes", which I
> found searching for "libreoffice calc display fractions without
> decimal point".
>

> I agree with Brian:  The foremost experts in any field may not be able
> to solve problems that "lesser" minds handle easily.  That's why a
> second opinion in medicine (or anything else) can be useful.
>

>       Spencer Graves

James E Lang-2 James E Lang-2

Re: Calc- don't show the decimal point

Hi Spencer,

My comment paragraphs begin with "[" and each, possibly extended, comment ends with "-- jl]".

--
Jim

Re: Calc- don't show the decimal point

I think the  first cunning answer, to multiply by 1000, then needs
Spencer's formatting in order to deal with the problem Brian
identified in his last paragraph, ie that of 123 needing to be shown
as 0123 to prevent it being mis-read or confusing.

I think that Brian was suggesting combining the "multiply by 1000"
into whatever formula creates the 4-decimal-place values in the first
place.  Doing so might help by avoiding the need for a 2nd calculation
that might then need to be hidden.

The formatting Spencer drew attention to was originally suggested by
Brian but kinda got ignored in this thread because the earlier part of
his answer had been somewhat flummoxing.

Anyway, i hope you have a "good enough" result by using some of the
answers in this thread!
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 15:15 19/01/2016 -0500, Alek Solzhenitsyn wrote:
>On 01/19/2016 11:36 AM, Spencer Graves wrote:
>>You need Format > Cells > Numbers: Format code = 0000
>>With this, 0.1 appears as "0000" and 0.6 as "0001".
>
>That isn't what I want- the wrong answer.

No, it *is* what you want. Once you have multiplied by 10000, your
values will (presumably) have no fractional parts, so the rounding
described as above, though accurate, will not be relevant. *Original*
figures of 0.1000 and 0.6000 will appear, when multiplied, as 1000
and 6000; it's only original figures of 0.00001 and 0.00006 (if they
existed) that would appear, rounded, as 0000 and 0001.

Brian Barker

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 23:20 19/01/2016 +0000, Tom Davies wrote:
>I think the first cunning answer, to multiply by 1000, ...

Oh, the first answer was more cunning than that: it was to multiply
by 10000 (which works), not 1000 (which doesn't).

Brian Barker