Calc: how do I?

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Calc: how do I?

I have a dBase database with several tables. How do I open this database
in Calc so that each table will have its own sheet?

Dan

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Calc: how do I?

At 10:29 16/09/2020 -0400, Dan Lewis wrote:
>I have a dBase database with several tables. How do I open this
>database in Calc so that each table will have its own sheet?

You can do it piecemeal:
o Open the database.
o Display Tables.
o Select a table.
o Copy.
o Create a spreadsheets with an appropriate number of sheets.
o Paste.
o Repeat for other tables and other sheets.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Alan Boba Alan Boba

Re: Calc: how do I?

Hello Dan,

As far as I know, each table needs to be opened separately. That will open
a separate Calc window with a tab for the table that was opened. The tabs
can then be moved into a single spreadsheet by right-click the tab in one
of the spreadsheets and selecting the "Move or Copy Sheet..." option.

Alternately the first dbf can be opened then each additional table can be
opened in a new tab using the menu path Sheet>Insert Sheet from File...
This 2nd option saves the step of grouping the sheets into a single
spreadsheet after opening each file into its own spreadsheet.

I do not know of a way for Calc to open all tables in a database into
individual tabs in a single spreadsheet.

I did use dBASE for many years. My recollection is that a "database" was a
logical construct in dBASE. By default it would include all tables in the
database's directory and tables in other directories could be included by
pointers to their location.

There is no option I can find in Calc to read the database file so it can't
open and read all tables in a database by selecting and opening the
database. Each table must be opened individually.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:31 AM Dan Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a dBase database with several tables. How do I open this database
> in Calc so that each table will have its own sheet?
>
> Dan

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Calc: how do I?

Hi Dan,
Dan Lewis schrieb am 16-Sep-20 um 16:29:
> I have a dBase database with several tables. How do I open this database
> in Calc so that each table will have its own sheet?
>
> Dan
> Here something different than simple copy:

1. You make a .odb file for the dBase database and register it. That is
in File > New > Database. Make sure, that you have set the correct
character set in Edit > Database Properties > Additional Settings.

2. You open the spreadsheet and show "Data Sources". That is menu Edit
or Ctrl+Shift+F4. You should now see an area above the sheet, which has
on the left side an overview over your database files.

3. Drag a table (or query or view) from there to cell A1 on an empty
sheet. That will import the table. That is not a simple import, but the
spreadsheet is linked to the database table. It has generated a "data
range". Look in menu Data. You will see the import in "Select Range"
-and more important- you can use "Refresh Range" to bring changes from
the database table to the spreadsheet.
In case the database is not "connected" right-click the database name
and choose item "Registered databases" and select it.

And yet another way to copy:
Open the .dbf file in Calc and resave it with a different name.

Kind regards
Regina

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Calc: how do I?

Thanks to all three of you for answering my questions. It was a
refresher course to say the least.

Dan