Calc - opening a .csv file challenge

charles meyer charles meyer

Calc - opening a .csv file challenge

Hi Folks,

I’m running Libre Office 5.1.1 installed on my hard drive running Windows 7
Pro.

A friend emailed me a .csv file created and saved in Excel 10 exported in
the .csv format but no matter how I try opening it – Western Europe
(ASCII/US) or (ISO-8859-1) or (Windows – 1252/Win Latin 1) it just opens to
gibberish.

Any thoughts about what may be going wrong?

Thank you.

Charles.

Wade Smart Wade Smart

Re: Calc - opening a .csv file challenge

Did you try opening in notepad?
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 11:21 AM, charles meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>

> I’m running Libre Office 5.1.1 installed on my hard drive running Windows 7
> Pro.
>

> A friend emailed me a .csv file created and saved in Excel 10 exported in
> the .csv format but no matter how I try opening it – Western Europe
> (ASCII/US) or (ISO-8859-1) or (Windows – 1252/Win Latin 1) it just opens to
> gibberish.
>

> Any thoughts about what may be going wrong?
>

> Thank you.
>

> Charles.

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Calc - opening a .csv file challenge

Hi Charles,

> A friend emailed me a .csv file created and saved in Excel 10 exported in
> the .csv format but no matter how I try opening it – Western Europe
> (ASCII/US) or (ISO-8859-1) or (Windows – 1252/Win Latin 1) it just opens to
> gibberish.

Could you open the file in a texeditor? Don't know the name of editors
in Windows - have only Linux.

Could be the file is using UTF-8.

Regards

Robert