Calc

Peggy Peggy

Calc

All options but Writer are grayed out. I just installed the latest version.
Is there something I can do to activate calc?

sun shine sun shine

Re: Calc

On 10/08/18 10:44, Peggy wrote:
> All options but Writer are grayed out. I just installed the latest version.
> Is there something I can do to activate calc?

Can you give some more info to work on please: OS, and by 'latest
version' do you mean 6.1?

If so, then you may want to report a bug and roll your version back.

Peggy Peggy

Re: Calc

Sorry. I meant 6.0.6. With Win 7 Pro, although I have a new computer on the
way with Win 10 (probaby Home verson). This was the first time I wanted to
use anything but LibreWriter, so when I couldn't find "Calc"
or any of the other ones like "Draw" or "Base" I downloaded the newest
version (besides the one for early adopters) hoping all the modules would
be there.
I didn't see anything about having to download them separately.

Thanks for replying!

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 8:37 AM, Andrew <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/08/18 10:44, Peggy wrote:
>
>> All options but Writer are grayed out. I just installed the latest
>> version.
>> Is there something I can do to activate calc?
>>
>> Can you give some more info to work on please: OS, and by 'latest
> version' do you mean 6.1?
>
> If so, then you may want to report a bug and roll your version back.

sun shine sun shine

Re: Calc

Not being a Windows user I can't comment on how LibreOffice works in
that world. However, I would assume that the packages should all install
so that you can switch between different applications (calc, writer,
base, etc.).

I'd suggest that you wait for others on the list who can be more helpful
than me.

Good luck

On 10/08/18 14:18, Peggy wrote:

> Sorry. I meant 6.0.6. With Win 7 Pro, although I have a new computer
> on the way with Win 10 (probaby Home verson). This was the first time
> I wanted to use anything but LibreWriter, so when I couldn't find "Calc"
> or any of the other ones like "Draw" or "Base" I downloaded the newest
> version (besides the one for early adopters) hoping all the modules
> would be there.
> I didn't see anything about having to download them separately.
>
> Thanks for replying!
>
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 8:37 AM, Andrew <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/08/18 10:44, Peggy wrote:
>
>         All options but Writer are grayed out. I just installed the
>         latest version.
>         Is there something I can do to activate calc?
>
>     Can you give some more info to work on please: OS, and by 'latest
>     version' do you mean 6.1?
>
>     If so, then you may want to report a bug and roll your version back.

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: Calc

Den fre 10 aug. 2018 kl 15:19 skrev Peggy <[hidden email]>:

> Sorry. I meant 6.0.6. With Win 7 Pro, although I have a new computer on the
> way with Win 10 (probaby Home verson). This was the first time I wanted to
> use anything but LibreWriter, so when I couldn't find "Calc"
> or any of the other ones like "Draw" or "Base" I downloaded the newest
> version (besides the one for early adopters) hoping all the modules would
> be there.
> I didn't see anything about having to download them separately.
>
> Thanks for replying!

Peggy, you certainly shouldn't have to download and install the six LO
modules - Base, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math, Writer - seperately  ; if you've
downloaded the installation package for LibreOffice 6.0.6.2 for Windows
from the LO site and then installed it, when you click the Windows 7 menu
icon at the left of your taskbar, and then select «All Programs» you should
see a folder-like icon for LibreOffice 6.0. Clicking that will open to 8
applications : LibreOffice, LibreOffice (Safe Mode), Base, Calc, Draw,
Impress, Math, and Writer. Clicking on any of these should launch that
particular application. Does performing the above lead to a different
outcome for you ?...

Henri

Peggy Peggy

Re: Calc

Thanks to all of you for helping me to understand how it works.
Unfortunately, when I tried to open the file with (what I thought was
Writer but was any of them as I now understand) it was saved with the SLSX
extenstion, LibreOffice gave me a message that the file was corrupt. I
selected the try to fix option, but they couldn't repair it. I had another
option to save the file in the .odt extension, but that didn't work either,
so it must be the file itself that is the problem. I'll contact the creator
of the file.

It was worth it to understand yet a little more about LibreOffice!

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:12 AM, M Henri Day <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Den fre 10 aug. 2018 kl 15:19 skrev Peggy <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Sorry. I meant 6.0.6. With Win 7 Pro, although I have a new computer on
>> the
>> way with Win 10 (probaby Home verson). This was the first time I wanted to
>> use anything but LibreWriter, so when I couldn't find "Calc"
>> or any of the other ones like "Draw" or "Base" I downloaded the newest
>> version (besides the one for early adopters) hoping all the modules would
>> be there.
>> I didn't see anything about having to download them separately.
>>
>> Thanks for replying!
>

> Peggy, you certainly shouldn't have to download and install the six LO
> modules - Base, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math, Writer - seperately  ; if you've
> downloaded the installation package for LibreOffice 6.0.6.2 for Windows
> from the LO site and then installed it, when you click the Windows 7 menu
> icon at the left of your taskbar, and then select «All Programs» you should
> see a folder-like icon for LibreOffice 6.0. Clicking that will open to 8
> applications : LibreOffice, LibreOffice (Safe Mode), Base, Calc, Draw,
> Impress, Math, and Writer. Clicking on any of these should launch that
> particular application. Does performing the above lead to a different
> outcome for you ?...
>
> Henri

TomD TomD

Re: Calc

Hi :)
The ODF (= Open Document Format) for spreadsheets is .odS the .odT is for
text-based documents.

LibreOffice can open Microsoft formats such as .xlsx and .xls for
spreadsheets.  The older format, the .xls, is the better one because it has
stopped constantly changing in every release of MS Office.

With .xlsx you can never be sure how messed-up it might be, although it
does have the advantage that it can handle advanced features (of MS Office)
that almost no-one uses - although pretty much everyone thinks they use
them because they don't understand that what is routine and basic for a
computer is often complicated and tricky for humans.

However it is worth noting that it is MS Office that has troubles coping
with almost any formats (even with MS formats) whereas LibreOffice can
usually handle pretty much anything.

So the person sending you the file doesn't have to worry about trying to
understand what they are doing and can just send you a file they saved in
the normal way they save anything.

Regards from
a Tom :)

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 15:53 Peggy, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks to all of you for helping me to understand how it works.
> Unfortunately, when I tried to open the file with (what I thought was
> Writer but was any of them as I now understand) it was saved with the SLSX
> extenstion, LibreOffice gave me a message that the file was corrupt. I
> selected the try to fix option, but they couldn't repair it. I had another
> option to save the file in the .odt extension, but that didn't work either,
> so it must be the file itself that is the problem. I'll contact the creator
> of the file.
>
> It was worth it to understand yet a little more about LibreOffice!
>
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:12 AM, M Henri Day <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Den fre 10 aug. 2018 kl 15:19 skrev Peggy <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> Sorry. I meant 6.0.6. With Win 7 Pro, although I have a new computer on
> >> the
> >> way with Win 10 (probaby Home verson). This was the first time I wanted
> >> use anything but LibreWriter, so when I couldn't find "Calc"
> >> or any of the other ones like "Draw" or "Base" I downloaded the newest
> >> version (besides the one for early adopters) hoping all the modules
> would
> >> be there.
> >> I didn't see anything about having to download them separately.
> >>
> >> Thanks for replying!
> >

> > Peggy, you certainly shouldn't have to download and install the six LO
> > modules - Base, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math, Writer - seperately  ; if
> you've
> > downloaded the installation package for LibreOffice 6.0.6.2 for Windows
> > from the LO site and then installed it, when you click the Windows 7 menu
> > icon at the left of your taskbar, and then select «All Programs» you
> should
> > see a folder-like icon for LibreOffice 6.0. Clicking that will open to 8
> > applications : LibreOffice, LibreOffice (Safe Mode), Base, Calc, Draw,
> > Impress, Math, and Writer. Clicking on any of these should launch that
> > particular application. Does performing the above lead to a different
> > outcome for you ?...
> >
> > Henri

Peggy Peggy

Re: Calc

The person who has the file available downloaded and opened it without a
problem. She suggested I try restarting my computer. There are two versions
of the file one with the ODF extension and one with the Microsoft
extension. Neither worked for me. I did restart my computer but haven't had
time to find the file to try it again.

My computer is old. The operating system has some problems, especially
printing. It prints PDF files and emails in tiny script so I have to use a
capture program to print those. My video card is also starting to hiccup so
I ordered another, much smaller computer. I haven't wanted to wipe this one
and start from scratch, so put up with the glitches. I have windows 10 on
my laptop which I don't use much, but I don't like the start menu. Will
have to get used to it now. Hopefully the compensation will be, after I
install everything I need, that the printing will work right (I tried a new
printer so it has to be the operating system) and maybe the ODF file will
open.

More than you wanted to know. Thanks for your reply!