Call for help in MSI/DEB/RPM packaging for new help

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Call for help in MSI/DEB/RPM packaging for new help

Hello all

We have a new help system where we use default browser to show help
pages. After some time spent looking into the way LO packages are build
I really need advise and help to proceed and build the necessary
packages to replace the old help.

It requires understanding of build process, makefiles and perl scripts
in scp2/ module.

The task looks simple: once the new help is built (--with-help=html),
the help files are available in core/instdir/help/6.1 so it must take
the 6.1/ folder and make a package, which is as simple as zipping it. Of
course, replace '6.1' by %PRODUCTVERSION.

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=116240
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=115312

Any collaboration or help here is welcome. Question on the task here or
in #libreoffice-dev

Thank you all in advance.
--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator
Comunidade LibreOffice
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil - Local Time: UTC-03:00
http://tdf.io/joinus
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
sberg sberg
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for help in MSI/DEB/RPM packaging for new help

On 06.03.2018 16:13, Olivier Hallot wrote:
> The task looks simple: once the new help is built (--with-help=html),
> the help files are available in core/instdir/help/6.1 so it must take
> the 6.1/ folder and make a package, which is as simple as zipping it. Of
> course, replace '6.1' by %PRODUCTVERSION.

Looks odd to me that the help content would be stored in the LO instset
under a %PRODUCTVERSION dir.  Any given LO instset will only contain
help content for the given LO version, anyway, I assume?

(If, for example, some subset of the help content would happen to remain
identical across two subsequent LO versions, then intelligent update
processes could exploit that and leave that part of the LO installation
alone.  If, however, there is an artificial difference because of a path
change from .../6.1/... to .../6.2/..., that only makes the intelligent
update process's job harder.)
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for help in MSI/DEB/RPM packaging for new help

HI Stephan

Em 06/03/2018 13:43, Stephan Bergmann escreveu:
> On 06.03.2018 16:13, Olivier Hallot wrote:
>> The task looks simple: once the new help is built (--with-help=html),
>> the help files are available in core/instdir/help/6.1 so it must take
>> the 6.1/ folder and make a package, which is as simple as zipping it. Of
>> course, replace '6.1' by %PRODUCTVERSION.
>
> Looks odd to me that the help content would be stored in the LO instset
> under a %PRODUCTVERSION dir.  Any given LO instset will only contain
> help content for the given LO version, anyway, I assume?

It was originally designed for online display, where many LOHelp
versions are hosted in the same server, and the version is passed as
param in the URL by LO.


>
> (If, for example, some subset of the help content would happen to remain
> identical across two subsequent LO versions, then intelligent update
> processes could exploit that and leave that part of the LO installation
> alone.  If, however, there is an artificial difference because of a path
> change from .../6.1/... to .../6.2/..., that only makes the intelligent
> update process's job harder.)

The version can be removed from the path (need a hack in the XSLT).
Please advise if this is to be done.

Thanks for the comments

--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator
Comunidade LibreOffice
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil - Local Time: UTC-03:00
http://tdf.io/joinus
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Rene Engelhard Rene Engelhard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for help in MSI/DEB/RPM packaging for new help

In reply to this post by Olivier Hallot-4
On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 12:13:11PM -0300, Olivier Hallot wrote:

> I really need advise and help to proceed and build the necessary
> packages to replace the old help.
>
> It requires understanding of build process, makefiles and perl scripts
> in scp2/ module.
>
> The task looks simple: once the new help is built (--with-help=html),
> the help files are available in core/instdir/help/6.1 so it must take
> the 6.1/ folder and make a package, which is as simple as zipping it. Of
> course, replace '6.1' by %PRODUCTVERSION.
>
> https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=116240
> https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=115312
>
> Any collaboration or help here is welcome. Question on the task here or
> in #libreoffice-dev

Forgive my ignorance, maybe I am missing something - but if you did the scp2
stuff correctly (and defined the gid_*s correctly) the packaging should just
pick it up? I mean, there's already help packaging doing that packing up
the old help.

So it basically only boils down to scp2.

How did the stuff end up in instdir anyway? With scp2? Or via some
manual hackery?

That would also solve it automatically for distributions who use
make disto-pack-install (which is basically a make install with writing
the contents of the gid_*s to gid_* files on disk so one can use those
for splitting the packages appropriately)

Regards,

Rene
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for help in MSI/DEB/RPM packaging for new help

HI Rene,

Em 07/03/2018 05:24, Rene Engelhard escreveu:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 12:13:11PM -0300, Olivier Hallot wrote:
>> I really need advise and help to proceed and build the necessary
>> packages to replace the old help.
>>
>> It requires understanding of build process, makefiles and perl scripts
>> in scp2/ module.
>>
>> The task looks simple: once the new help is built (--with-help=html),
>> the help files are available in core/instdir/help/6.1 so it must take
>> the 6.1/ folder and make a package, which is as simple as zipping it. Of
>> course, replace '6.1' by %PRODUCTVERSION.
>>
>> https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=116240
>> https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=115312
>>
>> Any collaboration or help here is welcome. Question on the task here or
>> in #libreoffice-dev
>
> Forgive my ignorance, maybe I am missing something - but if you did the scp2
> stuff correctly (and defined the gid_*s correctly) the packaging should just
> pick it up? I mean, there's already help packaging doing that packing up
> the old help.

I did not do scp2. gid_* is a wizardry I don't master. What I know is
the old help package is processed per modules (writer, calc...), per
language.

>
> So it basically only boils down to scp2.

Correct.

>
> How did the stuff end up in instdir anyway? With scp2? Or via some
> manual hackery?

Not scp2 so far. It is in

helpontent2/CustomTarget_*.mk

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=help.git;a=commitdiff;h=ba16363fee2832acf3a33c718fa60cfb5aa67fc8


>
> That would also solve it automatically for distributions who use
> make disto-pack-install (which is basically a make install with writing
> the contents of the gid_*s to gid_* files on disk so one can use those
> for splitting the packages appropriately)
>
> Regards,
>
> Rene

Thanks for the comments.



--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator
Comunidade LibreOffice
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil - Local Time: UTC-03:00
http://tdf.io/joinus
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
sberg sberg
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for help in MSI/DEB/RPM packaging for new help

In reply to this post by Olivier Hallot-4
On 06.03.2018 18:18, Olivier Hallot wrote:
> Em 06/03/2018 13:43, Stephan Bergmann escreveu:
>> Looks odd to me that the help content would be stored in the LO instset
>> under a %PRODUCTVERSION dir.  Any given LO instset will only contain
>> help content for the given LO version, anyway, I assume?
>
> The version can be removed from the path (need a hack in the XSLT).
> Please advise if this is to be done.

for the record:
<https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=116296> "[NEWHELP]
Remove product version from help pages path when building offline case"
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice
Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for help in MSI/DEB/RPM packaging for new help

Em 09/03/2018 04:43, Stephan Bergmann escreveu:

> On 06.03.2018 18:18, Olivier Hallot wrote:
>> Em 06/03/2018 13:43, Stephan Bergmann escreveu:
>>> Looks odd to me that the help content would be stored in the LO instset
>>> under a %PRODUCTVERSION dir.  Any given LO instset will only contain
>>> help content for the given LO version, anyway, I assume?
>>
>> The version can be removed from the path (need a hack in the XSLT).
>> Please advise if this is to be done.
>
> for the record:
> <https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=116296> "[NEWHELP]
> Remove product version from help pages path when building offline case"
> _______________________________________________
> LibreOffice mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice

For the record: bug fixed


--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator
Comunidade LibreOffice
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil - Local Time: UTC-03:00
http://tdf.io/joinus
_______________________________________________
LibreOffice mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice