Can I discard temp/.tmp directories?

amaloney amaloney

Can I discard temp/.tmp directories?

In my user directory the temp directory contains 139 directories labelled •luNNxxxxxx.tmp•
1) Why do these exist?
 2)What happens if I discard them?

[asked on askLO but no response there]
anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Can I discard temp/.tmp directories?

       For me, the safest & easiest way is to use CCleaner which can be
safely located through Gizmo's http://www.techsupportalert.com/

       Just download -> install -> leave settings as are -> click analysis
(nothing will be erased but you'll see what they could erase) -> if you
should happen to want to make any adjustments (I don't) you can -> click on
clean.

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 11/11/2016 02:28, amaloney wrote:

> In my user directory the temp directory contains 139 directories

As far as LibO is concerned, that can be deleted at any time, with
little to no ill-effects.

Depending upon your OS, deleting them might cause undesirable side-effects.

jonathon

amaloney amaloney

Re: Can I discard temp/.tmp directories?

I'm sorry that I was not clear enough in my original post.
Those directories are at ~/Library/Application Support/LibreOffice/4/user/temp

For some reason they are retained.
libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

amaloney wrote:
> In my user directory the temp directory contains 139 directories labelled
> •luNNxxxxxx.tmp•
> 1) Why do these exist?

They're temporary files created while you're working on documents.
Although the files within those directories have a .tmp extension, they
are actually OpenDocument files. If you're interested, you can open them
using LibreOffice. They're usually deleted when LibreOffice exits, but
can get left behind if it or the operating system crashes.

>   2)What happens if I discard them?

If you don't need those temporary copies of the files, you can safely
delete them. I sometimes open them to check what's there before deleting
them, but have never come across anything I've needed to keep.

--
Mark.

amaloney amaloney

Re: Can I discard temp/.tmp directories?

Thanks to everybody.
My questions have been answered.

Al Maloney