Can I stop Calc altering the formulas I enter?

David Lynch David Lynch

Can I stop Calc altering the formulas I enter?

In my spreadsheet I have several cells named with a single letter (using
Sheet -> Named Ranges and Expressions ->), for example "I" and "A".

If I enter a formula ending in "I" and hit the enter key, it changes the
"I" to "IF()", if ending in "A" to "ACCRINT()", I have to click the tick
button in the formula bar rather than hit [enter] to retain the "I" and
"A" as I entered them.

Is there any way to stop this behaviour and make [enter] act in the same
way as clicking the tick button. I have Tools - Options- LibreOffice -
General - Extended tips unchecked.

David Lynch

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Can I stop Calc altering the formulas I enter?

At 09:16 25/11/2019 +0000, David Lynch wrote:
>In my spreadsheet I have several cells named with a single letter
>(using Sheet -> Named Ranges and Expressions ->), for example "I"
>and "A". If I enter a formula ending in "I" and hit the enter key,
>it changes the "I" to "IF()", if ending in "A" to "ACCRINT()", I
>have to click the tick button in the formula bar rather than hit
>[enter] to retain the "I" and "A" as I entered them. Is there any
>way to stop this behaviour and make [enter] act in the same way as
>clicking the tick button. I have Tools - Options- LibreOffice -
>General - Extended tips unchecked.

Not that I can see. But are there are a number of workarounds?

o Type a space after your formula before pressing Enter. This will
suppress the automatic correction (and the trailing space will be
automatically removed from the formula).

o Press Esc after your formula before pressing Enter. This will
suppress the automatic correction.

o Choose two-letter names. After all, it takes very little longer to
type, say, "II" or "AA" instead of your single-letter names. Note
that if you do this, typing your longer name will still stimulate the
suggestion, so you will need to press Enter twice to complete the
entry. That means it's one more keystroke than the previous two suggestions.

o Choose three-letter (or longer) names - long enough that the first
two characters do not coincide with function names. Type the first
two characters, stimulating the suggestion, and then accept the
suggestion by pressing Enter. This is no more keystrokes than the
first two suggestions, so better than the third. Isn't this the
normal technique?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker