Can Libreoffice Compress a PNG file?

Musical Neptunian Musical Neptunian

Can Libreoffice Compress a PNG file?

I  make Twitch emotes in GIMP. They cannot be more than 25 Mb or Twitch
rejects them. I found a tutorial somewhere that said that Libreoffice has a
png compression tool. But when I put my png into LibreOffice I got a whole
load of symbol junk. So instead I used a free online tool that reduced my
png from 30 Kb to 7 Kb with no quality change. But could I have used
anything in Libreoffice to do this?

Philip Jackson-2 Philip Jackson-2

Re: Can Libreoffice Compress a PNG file?

On 23/04/2020 06:06, Musical Neptunian wrote:
> I  make Twitch emotes in GIMP. They cannot be more than 25 Mb or Twitch
> rejects them. I found a tutorial somewhere that said that Libreoffice has a
> png compression tool. But when I put my png into LibreOffice I got a whole
> load of symbol junk. So instead I used a free online tool that reduced my
> png from 30 Kb to 7 Kb with no quality change. But could I have used
> anything in Libreoffice to do this?

Yes you can compress images in LO Writer, Calc and Draw (and maybe other modules afaik).

Insert your image. Select the image and use Format > Image > Compress. The dialogue box lets you select various parameters for the compression.

hth

Philip

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Can Libreoffice Compress a PNG file?

Den tors 23 apr. 2020 kl 06:08 skrev Musical Neptunian <
[hidden email]>:

> I  make Twitch emotes in GIMP. They cannot be more than 25 Mb or Twitch
> rejects them. I found a tutorial somewhere that said that Libreoffice has a
> png compression tool. But when I put my png into LibreOffice I got a whole
> load of symbol junk. So instead I used a free online tool that reduced my
> png from 30 Kb to 7 Kb with no quality change.

If 25 MB (file sizes are rarely measured in Mb, therefore I assume you
meant MB, if not MiB) is the upper limit, why do you need to compress a 30
kB (I assume you didn't actually mean Kb – Kelvin-bits) at all?

And yes, when you compress a PNG there's no quality change. PNG compression
is lossless, just like ZIP and similar. That's the reason PNG in general
are much bigger in file size than JPEG, for instance.

> But could I have used
> anything in Libreoffice to do this?

Using LibreOffice for images at all seems a little bit odd to me…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Musical Neptunian Musical Neptunian

Re: Can Libreoffice Compress a PNG file?

Well, I got the idea because I was making Twitch emotes. I followed a
tutorial that used the compression tools in Microsoft Word. Because I don't
have Word and hate it, I thought could I use LibreOffice? So I have had
another go and there is a good compression tool! Thank you!

Luuk Luuk

On 23-4-2020 06:06, Musical Neptunian wrote:
> I  make Twitch emotes in GIMP. They cannot be more than 25 Mb or Twitch
> rejects them. I found a tutorial somewhere that said that Libreoffice has a
> png compression tool. But when I put my png into LibreOffice I got a whole
> load of symbol junk. So instead I used a free online tool that reduced my
> png from 30 Kb to 7 Kb with no quality change. But could I have used
> anything in Libreoffice to do this?

I would never use LibreOffice for compressing images.

use any tool found on the internet, like:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19153122/image-compression-tools-via-command-line

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
mhenriday mhenriday

Den fre 24 apr. 2020 kl 08:22 skrev Luuk <[hidden email]>:

> On 23-4-2020 06:06, Musical Neptunian wrote:
> > I  make Twitch emotes in GIMP. They cannot be more than 25 Mb or Twitch
> > rejects them. I found a tutorial somewhere that said that Libreoffice
> has a
> > png compression tool. But when I put my png into LibreOffice I got a
> whole
> > load of symbol junk. So instead I used a free online tool that reduced my
> > png from 30 Kb to 7 Kb with no quality change. But could I have used
> > anything in Libreoffice to do this?
>

> I would never use LibreOffice for compressing images.
>
> use any tool found on the internet, like:
>

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19153122/image-compression-tools-via-command-line

Luuk, perhaps you could explain just why you would never use a LibreOffice
too for compressing images. Doesn't the one suggested by Philip perform
satisfactorily ?...

Henri

Luuk Luuk

On 24-4-2020 15:11, M Henri Day wrote:

> Den fre 24 apr. 2020 kl 08:22 skrev Luuk <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>

>     On 23-4-2020 06:06, Musical Neptunian wrote:
>     > I  make Twitch emotes in GIMP. They cannot be more than 25 Mb or
>     Twitch
>     > rejects them. I found a tutorial somewhere that said that
>     Libreoffice has a
>     > png compression tool. But when I put my png into LibreOffice I
>     got a whole
>     > load of symbol junk. So instead I used a free online tool that
>     reduced my
>     > png from 30 Kb to 7 Kb with no quality change. But could I have used
>     > anything in Libreoffice to do this?
>

>     I would never use LibreOffice for compressing images.
>
>     use any tool found on the internet, like:
>
>     https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19153122/image-compression-tools-via-command-line
>

> Luuk, perhaps you could explain just why you would never use a
> LibreOffice too for compressing images. Doesn't the one suggested by
> Philip perform satisfactorily ?...
>
> Henri

Just because LibreOffice is not an image-editor. It's about creating
document, or spreadsheets.

Ik will also no use my bicycle to transport loads of goods, that's what
trucks are for.... 😉

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
mhenriday mhenriday

Den fre 24 apr. 2020 kl 17:17 skrev Luuk <[hidden email]>:

> On 24-4-2020 15:11, M Henri Day wrote:
> > Den fre 24 apr. 2020 kl 08:22 skrev Luuk <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> >

> >     On 23-4-2020 06:06, Musical Neptunian wrote:
> >     > I  make Twitch emotes in GIMP. They cannot be more than 25 Mb or
> >     Twitch
> >     > rejects them. I found a tutorial somewhere that said that
> >     Libreoffice has a
> >     > png compression tool. But when I put my png into LibreOffice I
> >     got a whole
> >     > load of symbol junk. So instead I used a free online tool that
> >     reduced my
> >     > png from 30 Kb to 7 Kb with no quality change. But could I have
> used
> >     > anything in Libreoffice to do this?
> >

> >     I would never use LibreOffice for compressing images.
> >
> >     use any tool found on the internet, like:
> >

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19153122/image-compression-tools-via-command-line
> >

> > Luuk, perhaps you could explain just why you would never use a
> > LibreOffice too for compressing images. Doesn't the one suggested by
> > Philip perform satisfactorily ?...
> >
> > Henri
>
> Just because LibreOffice is not an image-editor. It's about creating
> document, or spreadsheets.
>
> Ik will also no use my bicycle to transport loads of goods, that's what
> trucks are for.... 😉

I was inquiring about *specific* problems you had encountered with the
image-compression tool in LibreOffice. I regularly transport goods on my
bicycle, if doing so suits my needs.... 😉

Henri

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: Can Libreoffice Compress a PNG file?

On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 17:38:14 +0200
M Henri Day <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Den fre 24 apr. 2020 kl 17:17 skrev Luuk <[hidden email]>:
>

> > On 24-4-2020 15:11, M Henri Day wrote:
> > > Den fre 24 apr. 2020 kl 08:22 skrev Luuk <[hidden email]
> > > <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> > >

> > >     On 23-4-2020 06:06, Musical Neptunian wrote:
> > >     > I  make Twitch emotes in GIMP. They cannot be more than 25
> > >     > Mb or
> > >     Twitch
> > >     > rejects them. I found a tutorial somewhere that said that
> > >     Libreoffice has a
> > >     > png compression tool. But when I put my png into
> > >     > LibreOffice I
> > >     got a whole
> > >     > load of symbol junk. So instead I used a free online tool
> > >     > that
> > >     reduced my
> > >     > png from 30 Kb to 7 Kb with no quality change. But could I
> > >     > have
> > used
> > >     > anything in Libreoffice to do this?
> > >

> > >     I would never use LibreOffice for compressing images.
> > >
> > >     use any tool found on the internet, like:
> > >

> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19153122/image-compression-tools-via-command-line
> > >

> > > Luuk, perhaps you could explain just why you would never use a
> > > LibreOffice too for compressing images. Doesn't the one suggested
> > > by Philip perform satisfactorily ?...
> > >
> > > Henri
> >
> > Just because LibreOffice is not an image-editor. It's about creating
> > document, or spreadsheets.
> >
> > Ik will also no use my bicycle to transport loads of goods, that's
> > what trucks are for.... 😉
> >
> I was inquiring about *specific* problems you had encountered with the
> image-compression tool in LibreOffice.

If he never uses LO for that purpose, clearly he will never have
encountered any specific problems doing so! He never said he did. He
just stated his own views.

> I regularly transport goods on
> my bicycle, if doing so suits my needs.... 😉

Just as you state yours. Good for you, BTW. I do too sometimes but not
as often as I should.