Can mimalloc turn out to be useful for LibreOffice?

Kaganski Mike Kaganski Mike

Can mimalloc turn out to be useful for LibreOffice?

MS has released its mimalloc [1] under BSD license as a drop-in
replacement for malloc. It is said to have excellent performance. It's
also cross-platform. Can it be useful for LibreOffice (on supported
platforms)? What is required to actually make LibreOffice use it, and
how to test possible performance effect?

[1] https://github.com/microsoft/mimalloc

Mike Kaganski
Michael Stahl-3 Michael Stahl-3

Re: Can mimalloc turn out to be useful for LibreOffice?

On 24.06.19 08:10, Kaganski Mike wrote:
> MS has released its mimalloc [1] under BSD license as a drop-in
> replacement for malloc. It is said to have excellent performance. It's
> also cross-platform. Can it be useful for LibreOffice (on supported
> platforms)? What is required to actually make LibreOffice use it, and
> how to test possible performance effect?

havent we just removed our custom SLAB allocator recently because it
wasn't worth the maintenance effort?

we have --with-alloc configure flags but setting that to anything custom
like tcmalloc or jemalloc was removed in
494bdd3dc32287cc01ea4e0d81438a9266425726 because it had been broken
since 2011 and nobody noticed.
Noel Grandin-2 Noel Grandin-2

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 at 12:55, Michael Stahl <[hidden email]> wrote:

we have --with-alloc configure flags but setting that to anything custom
like tcmalloc or jemalloc was removed in
494bdd3dc32287cc01ea4e0d81438a9266425726 because it had been broken
since 2011 and nobody noticed.

In which case, if mkaganski is interested, maybe he can resurrect that support?