Can't open the file which is exported from crastal report

peterhuang peterhuang

Can't open the file which is exported from crastal report

Hi,

     I tried to open a doc file which is exported from crystal report.
     I can open it by open office 3.4.1 , but it doesn't work on libreoffice 4.1.1.2.
     It shows a message  " I/O error" .
     please help me.
     Thanks.

Peter
timllloyd timllloyd

Re: Can't open the file which is exported from crastal report

Peter, what operating system are you using?

On 09/26/2013 04:00 PM, peterhuang wrote:

> Hi,
>
>       I tried to open a doc file which is exported from crystal report.
>       I can open it by open office 3.4.1 , but it doesn't work on libreoffice
> 4.1.1.2.
>       It shows a message  " I/O error" .
>       please help me.
>       Thanks.
>
> Peter

peterhuang peterhuang

Re: Can't open the file which is exported from crastal report

I am using windows 7 "traditional chinses" version.  Thanks.
timllloyd timllloyd

Re: Can't open the file which is exported from crastal report

okay, I don't really know too much about windows

What I was going to suggest was running writer from the  command line
and see if any further errors appear.

Sorry I can't help more

cheers

Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

On 2013-09-26 2:00 AM, peterhuang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       I tried to open a doc file which is exported from crystal report.
>       I can open it by open office 3.4.1 , but it doesn't work on libreoffice
> 4.1.1.2.
>       It shows a message  " I/O error" .

What kind of 'doc file'?

Is it a .docx (new XML format)?

If so, we have this problem all the time with those formats...

The newer versions of Libreoffice seem to be MUCH worse than older
versions, with respect to the new XML file formats and the dreaded
'General IO error'...

Tom Tom

Re: Can't open the file which is exported from crastal report

Hi :)
I've only seen the "i/o error" when the file is not saved on the local machine.  Can you download the file to your "my Documents" folder (or even your desktop) and then try again from there.

Wrt to the doc vs docX issue, each newer version of Micorsoft Office sometimes has troubles reading files created by older versions of itself.  Each new version has a slightly different implementation of the docX (and xlsX, pptX and so on).  People kinda need to buy the same version used by most other people they swap files with.  Generally that means everyone has to keep buying newer and newer versions of MS Office to keep doing the same thing they were doing years ago. The older formats, without the X at the end, (as used in MS Office 2003 and earlier) tend to be more reliable and usually look the same in any program.

However i don't think you are suffering from the usual problem people have with DocX.  I think you just need to save the file locally.

Just out of curiosity are you using Windows or a Gnu&Linux such as Mint or Ubuntu?

________________________________
On 2013-09-26 2:00 AM, peterhuang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       I tried to open a doc file which is exported from crystal report.
>       I can open it by open office 3.4.1 , but it doesn't work on libreoffice
> 4.1.1.2.
>       It shows a message  " I/O error" .

What kind of 'doc file'?

Is it a .docx (new XML format)?

If so, we have this problem all the time with those formats...

The newer versions of Libreoffice seem to be MUCH worse than older versions, with respect to the new XML file formats and the dreaded 'General IO error'...

peterhuang peterhuang

Re: Can't open the file which is exported from crastal report

Thanks your very much.

the file link as below
    http://forum.openoffice.org/zh/forum/download/file.php?id=941

I think it is just a regular doc file, and it is exported from crystal report.
Our company are looking for a good office software to replace MS-OFFICE 2003,
and our ERP system is using crystal report to output doc file.

My os is windows 7 64 bit (traditional chinese), and libreoffice is version 4.1.1.2.
the openoffice version is 3.1.4

I downloaded this file and saved it to my local document folder.
but the situation is the same. I can open it by openoffice, but it doesn't work on libreoffice.

thanks.
Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Can't open the file which is exported from crystal report

At 17:47 26/09/2013 -0700, Peter Huang wrote:
>the file link as below
>     http://forum.openoffice.org/zh/forum/download/file.php?id=941
>
>I think it is just a regular doc file, and it is exported from crystal report.

It appears to be a Rich Text Format (RTF) file.

>I can open it by openoffice, but it doesn't work on libreoffice.

What happens if you change its extension from .doc to .rtf and then
try opening it?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

peterhuang peterhuang

Re: Can't open the file which is exported from crystal report

I changed the file name to aoou702.tlf.
then I did two tests.

1. I opened this file directly, it still showed “I/O error”.
2. I opened libreoffice first, and I clicked file==> open ==> choose Filename Extension to tlf ==> open the file.
     It worked.

Thanks very much.
TomW TomW

On 2013-09-26 20:47, peterhuang wrote:

> Thanks your very much.
>
> the file link as below
>      http://forum.openoffice.org/zh/forum/download/file.php?id=941
>
> I think it is just a regular doc file, and it is exported from crystal
> report.
> Our company are looking for a good office software to replace MS-OFFICE
> 2003,
> and our ERP system is using crystal report to output doc file.
>
> My os is windows 7 64 bit (traditional chinese), and libreoffice is version
> 4.1.1.2.
> the openoffice version is 3.1.4
>
> I downloaded this file and saved it to my local document folder.
> but the situation is the same. I can open it by openoffice, but it doesn't
> work on libreoffice.
>
> thanks.

Peter:

Using Vista OS

Opens with: Version 3.5.5.2 Build ID:
24b32b4-b87ec2e-85c8e98-87a4e20-9a1b8c1

Crashes (General I/O) with: Portable Version: 4.1.1.2 Build ID:
7e4286b58adc75a14f6d83f53a03b6c11fa2903

Change file extension to rtf: Opens, but layout is mangled with 4.1.1.2.
Version 3.5.5.2 opens rtf correctly.

Save rtf file as odt with Version 4.1.1.2: File layout is mangled in
either version.

Save rtf file as odt with LibreOffice 3.5.5.2: Opens correctly with 4.1.1.2

TomW

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Can't open the file which is exported from crastal report

I can open the file directly from the link ok in LibreOffice 3.6 without
problems.
Try to uninstall LO4.1 and install 4.0
Steve

On 2013-09-27 12:47, peterhuang wrote:

> Thanks your very much.
>
> the file link as below
>      http://forum.openoffice.org/zh/forum/download/file.php?id=941
>
> I think it is just a regular doc file, and it is exported from crystal
> report.
> Our company are looking for a good office software to replace MS-OFFICE
> 2003,
> and our ERP system is using crystal report to output doc file.
>
> My os is windows 7 64 bit (traditional chinese), and libreoffice is version
> 4.1.1.2.
> the openoffice version is 3.1.4
>
> I downloaded this file and saved it to my local document folder.
> but the situation is the same. I can open it by openoffice, but it doesn't
> work on libreoffice.
>
> thanks.

Michael Wu Michael Wu

Re: Can't open the file which is exported from crastal report

It is seemed a regression problem because this file can be opened in
LibreOffice 3.6.7.2 on the Windows XP platform. Maybe you can file a bug.

Regards from Michael

peterhuang 提到:

zed zed

peterhuang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks your very much.
>
> the file link as below
>     http://forum.openoffice.org/zh/forum/download/file.php?id=941
>
> I think it is just a regular doc file, and it is exported from crystal
> report. Our company are looking for a good office software to replace
> MS-OFFICE 2003, and our ERP system is using crystal report to output doc
> file.
>
> My os is windows 7 64 bit (traditional chinese), and libreoffice is
> version 4.1.1.2. the openoffice version is 3.1.4
>
> I downloaded this file and saved it to my local document folder. but the
> situation is the same. I can open it by openoffice, but it doesn't work
> on libreoffice.

Using LinuxMint x64 and LlibreOfficeVersion 4.0.2.2 (Build ID:
400m0(Build:2))

File opens without any problem.  However, I cannot read it as I haven't
got the appropriate fonts loaded.

Looks as if it might be a LibreOffice/Windows problem.

David

--
David Love
Can it be a coincidence that "STRESSED" is "DESSERTS" spelled backwards

Tom Tom

Re: Can't open the file which is exported from crystal report

Ahhh, i like the sound of that.  Rtf is still a proprietary format but it also has the advantage that MS are no longer actively developing it = so it's "stable" and organisations are able to try to catch up with the latest version.  However i still get the impression that the old Doc is more consistent.

Obviously Odt is already the best one for long-term document storage.  With it's fairly rapid growth over the last couple of years i suspect it is going to become the best one for sharing current files too, within a few  years or maybe even less.