Can the most up-to-date LO import and print pdfs?

Lisi Lisi

Can the most up-to-date LO import and print pdfs?

Can the most up-to-date LO import and print pdfs?

Thanks,
Lisi

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Can the most up-to-date LO import and print pdfs?

In a sense.  LibreOffice Draw runs filters that read the PDF rendering it into an ODF drawing document--.ODG extension.

At that point it is no longer PDF but rather is a new ODF draw document.  The drawing document can be edited, parts/pages extracted for use in Draw or another module, and yes even printed.

So, depends on your needs. For the best fidelity to the original document as recorded into PDF LibreOffice filter based manipulation is probably not the route to go for printing.
TomD TomD

Re: Can the most up-to-date LO import and print pdfs?

Hi :)
I haven't tried the "most up-to-date" one but older ones can.

I would always try doing a test print at low quality and stuff just to get
an idea of how it will look.

Lisi Lisi

On Wednesday 25 February 2015 15:42:47 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> Can the most up-to-date LO import and print pdfs?
>
> Thanks,
> Lisi

Thanks for the replies.

Lisi

Alan Boba Alan Boba

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Lisi Reisz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can the most up-to-date LO import and print pdfs?

Lisi - as suggested by V Stuart Foote using LO to print PDF may not provide
the most accurate rendering.

You don't say if you need to edit the documents.

If editing is not needed a dedicated PDF viewer like Adobe Reader or Foxit
PDF Viewer will give you better results.

TomD TomD

Re: Can the most up-to-date LO import and print pdfs?

Hi :)
+1
I agree that dedicated programs that do 1 single task tend to be better for
that task.  I seldom have a problem with LO's rendering of Pdfs but that
could easily just be luck.

Alan Boba Alan Boba

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
> +1
> I agree that dedicated programs that do 1 single task tend to be better
> for that task.  I seldom have a problem with LO's rendering of Pdfs but
> that could easily just be luck.

Perhaps not so much on luck as on the document itself I think. When I saw
this thread I had just downloaded CW-Business-Planning-eBook-FINAL.pdf from
Connectwise.com. So I opened that file in Draw. It opened fine but every
page rendered incorrectly.

Am using LO Version: 4.2.7.2

As always depends on what's needed. If the op gets good results with their
usual documents no need for change. If not then a solution that fits the
need is required.

Thanks for the +1.

Kim Maass Kim Maass

Re: Can the most up-to-date LO import and print pdfs?

PLEASE PLEASE TAKE ME OFF OF YOUR MAILING LIST!!!!!!!!!!!

timllloyd timllloyd

Larry Evans Larry Evans

On 02/25/2015 12:02 PM, V Stuart Foote wrote:
> In a sense.  LibreOffice Draw runs filters that read the PDF rendering it
> into an ODF drawing document--.ODG extension.

I opened a new Draw doc and searched for how to import a pdf.
There was something about filters under Tools>XML filter settings;
however, there was no mention of pdf.  I do have installed the

PDF Import component for LibreOffice

and my libreoffice About shows:

Version: 4.2.8.2
Build ID: 420m0(Build:2)

and my OS is linux:

~/references/software/adobe/pdf_converters $ uname -orsmv
Linux 3.13.0-65-generic #106-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 2 22:08:27 UTC 2015
x86_64 GNU/Linux

How do I import a pdf under these conditions?

TIA.

-Larry

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Can the most up-to-date LO import and print pdfs?

Hi.
I just go File>Open and click on the PDF while in a blank Draw document.
I edit PDF drawings in Draw and print my bank statements (they won't
print from the PDF reader).
Steve

TomD TomD

Re: Can the most up-to-date LO import and print pdfs?

Hi :)
I generally just double-click on the Pdf's icon and it magically opens it
in something suitable.

There are a lot of Pdf-readers for Gnu&Linux.  I'm using Evince on this
machine at the moment.  Pdf editing is a lot more tricky.