Capital letters in dates (in calc)

TheJoe TheJoe

Capital letters in dates (in calc)

Hi,
I have a small issue that i could not solve. First of all i'm sorry for my
bad English... i'm Italian.

I'm using LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 with Italian localization.

I'm trying to format a date in Calc... What i'm getting right now is:
lunedì 2 settembre 2024

I would like instead to have every word starting with a capitali letter:
Lunedì 2 Settembre 2024

Also "Format" - "Text" - "CAPITALS" doesn't work.

The thing i don't want to do is reformat the cell to text (it must be a
date).

Do you think it's possible?

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Capital letters in dates (in calc)

Hi,

please have a look at the sort lists in Tools > Options > Calc > Sort
Lists. Do have the month and days names small letters too?

Kind regards
Regina

TheJoe schrieb am 22-Jan-20 um 22:23:

> Hi,
> I have a small issue that i could not solve. First of all i'm sorry for my
> bad English... i'm Italian.
>
> I'm using LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 with Italian localization.
>
> I'm trying to format a date in Calc... What i'm getting right now is:
> lunedì 2 settembre 2024
>
> I would like instead to have every word starting with a capitali letter:
> Lunedì 2 Settembre 2024
>
> Also "Format" - "Text" - "CAPITALS" doesn't work.
>
> The thing i don't want to do is reformat the cell to text (it must be a
> date).
>
> Do you think it's possible?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Users-f1639498.html

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: Capital letters in dates (in calc)

Greetings,
I do not know how to achieve what you are looking for directly.
However, you can use something like this, supposing you want to display
the date of January 21, 2020:
Content of call A1: =DATE(2020;1;21) - cell format is "NNNNJ MMMM
AAAA"Content of cell B1: =SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A1;"NNNNJ MMMM
AAAA");REGEX(TEXT(A1;"NNNNJ MMMM AAAA");"[a-
z]");UPPER(REGEX(TEXT(A1;"NNNNJ MMMM AAAA");"[a-z]"));1)Content of cell
C1: =SUBSTITUTE(B1;REGEX(B1;" [a-z]");UPPER(REGEX(B1;" [a-z]"));1)
The example above uses English function names but I normally use the
French localization. In my version (6.3), this is what comes out:
Display of A1: mardi 21 janvier 2020Display of B1: Mardi 21 janvier
2020Display of C1: Mardi 21 Janvier 2020
Just make sure the second SUBSTITUTE (cell C1) has the two REGEX
looking for "space[a-z]" and not just "[a-z]". The downside of this
approach is you need to use two additional columns (you can hide them),
or make a complicated formula that merges what I have in B1 and C1.
I hope this helps.
Rémy.