Change executable/sh names

Next » 12
NoOp NoOp

Change executable/sh names

Installing LibORC1on a Windwows system[1] creates an issue with a
co-installed OOo install. Once LibO is installed it takes over all .odt
etc file properties associations.

- LO takes over all OOo application defaults & icons.
- LO uses the same executable names as OOo (soffice.exe, swriter.exe,
etc). This makes it impossible to select an .odt and re-associate it
with OOo on the same system.

Sorry, I can't provide screenshots as I only test WinXP in a Virtual
Machine.

*Please* correct this issue in the RC2 release. swriter et al are OOo
executable/shell(linux) names; change them to libowriter etc and you'll
avoid this issue. As long as this issue exists the user is unlikely to
install LibO in any production system that also has OOo installed.

Jesús Corrius Jesús Corrius

Re: Change executable/sh names

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 2:18 AM, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Installing LibORC1on a Windwows system[1] creates an issue with a
> co-installed OOo install. Once LibO is installed it takes over all .odt
> etc file properties associations.
>
> - LO takes over all OOo application defaults & icons.
> - LO uses the same executable names as OOo (soffice.exe, swriter.exe,
> etc). This makes it impossible to select an .odt and re-associate it
> with OOo on the same system.

Your argument is misleading. You can associate an extension with any
program you want and It doesn't matter if they have the same name or
not. In this case, you probably have select the path of the program so
it's a bit more work to do it, but in any any way it's *impossible* to
do it.

That being said, i think it's a good idea to change the program names,
but i don't consider it a blocker for 3.3.

Jesús Corrius <[hidden email]>
Document Foundation founding member
Skype: jcorrius | Twitter: @jcorrius
NoOp NoOp

On 12/17/2010 05:34 PM, Jesús Corrius wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 2:18 AM, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Installing LibORC1on a Windwows system[1] creates an issue with a
>> co-installed OOo install. Once LibO is installed it takes over all .odt
>> etc file properties associations.
>>
>> - LO takes over all OOo application defaults & icons.
>> - LO uses the same executable names as OOo (soffice.exe, swriter.exe,
>> etc). This makes it impossible to select an .odt and re-associate it
>> with OOo on the same system.
>
> Your argument is misleading. You can associate an extension with any
> program you want and It doesn't matter if they have the same name or
> not. In this case, you probably have select the path of the program so
> it's a bit more work to do it, but in any any way it's *impossible* to
> do it.
>
> That being said, i think it's a good idea to change the program names,
> but i don't consider it a blocker for 3.3.

I don't think it's misleading WRT Windows. I generally use linux, so
perhaps I'm not sufficiently up to date on that OS; however, if I have
OOo installed, file associations for an .odt are associated with OOo. If
I then install LibORC1 on the same system, the file association is for
LibO.

Right-click the .odt and select 'Open With' (WinXPPro); the 'Programs'
window shows only option for LibO, not OOo. It does show options for
Word if MS Word is installed and has the odf converter installed. I've
repeated this on my WinXPro VM by:

1. Uninstalling all instances of OOo and LibO.
2. Reinstall OOo (3.2.1 OOO320m18) and verify that the .odt's are
associated with OOo.
3. Reinstall LibORC1 (OOO330m18). The .odt's are now associated *only*
with LibO *and* cannot be reassociated with OOo from right-clicking and
'Open With' from Windows Explorer.

My guess is that the problem is with the common swriter.exe (et al)
executable name. If I get time over the weekend I'll modify the names in
the Windows registry to see if I can cause the situation to change.

In the interim; how about you test & also explain how a standard Windows
user is to "associate an extension with any
program you want and It doesn't matter if they have the same name or
not". And in particular, associate an .odt with *both* OOo and LibO on
the same system...

Jesús Corrius Jesús Corrius

Re: Change executable/sh names

> Right-click the .odt and select 'Open With' (WinXPPro); the 'Programs'
> window shows only option for LibO, not OOo. It does show options for
> Word if MS Word is installed and has the odf converter installed. I've
> repeated this on my WinXPro VM by:
>
> 1. Uninstalling all instances of OOo and LibO.
> 2. Reinstall OOo (3.2.1 OOO320m18) and verify that the .odt's are
> associated with OOo.
> 3. Reinstall LibORC1 (OOO330m18). The .odt's are now associated *only*
> with LibO *and* cannot be reassociated with OOo from right-clicking and
> 'Open With' from Windows Explorer.

I was expecting to find some problem with the merge of the
SupportedTypes in the registry during the installation, but everything
worked fine in my Windows XP SP2. I've followed your instructions and
I now have two entries in the "Open With" context menu, one for
OpenOffice.org and the other one for LibreOffice.

Anyone else is able to reproduce this?

> My guess is that the problem is with the common swriter.exe (et al)
> executable name. If I get time over the weekend I'll modify the names in
> the Windows registry to see if I can cause the situation to change.

As I mentioned before, in the registry there's the full path of the
executable, so it doesn't matter if they have the same name provided
that the path is different.

Here you have info on how this works:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872121(v=VS.85).aspx

> In the interim; how about you test & also explain how a standard Windows
> user is to "associate an extension with any
> program you want and It doesn't matter if they have the same name or
> not". And in particular, associate an .odt with *both* OOo and LibO on
> the same system...

There are many options, but I wil exclude the complicated ones. So I
guess in Windows XP (in Vista and 7 this is nicer: Open With -> Choose
Default Program) there are two options left:

1. sample.odt -> Open With -> Choose program -> Select program from a
list -> Browse

2. Open Explorer -> Tools -> Folder options -> File types -> ODT ->
Change (Advanced Options will allow you to create an entry in the Open
With menú, but you need to be a bit more advanced user).

NoOp NoOp

On 12/18/2010 03:48 AM, Jesús Corrius wrote:

>> Right-click the .odt and select 'Open With' (WinXPPro); the 'Programs'
>> window shows only option for LibO, not OOo. It does show options for
>> Word if MS Word is installed and has the odf converter installed. I've
>> repeated this on my WinXPro VM by:
>>
>> 1. Uninstalling all instances of OOo and LibO.
>> 2. Reinstall OOo (3.2.1 OOO320m18) and verify that the .odt's are
>> associated with OOo.
>> 3. Reinstall LibORC1 (OOO330m18). The .odt's are now associated *only*
>> with LibO *and* cannot be reassociated with OOo from right-clicking and
>> 'Open With' from Windows Explorer.
>
> I was expecting to find some problem with the merge of the
> SupportedTypes in the registry during the installation, but everything
> worked fine in my Windows XP SP2. I've followed your instructions and
> I now have two entries in the "Open With" context menu, one for
> OpenOffice.org and the other one for LibreOffice.
>
> Anyone else is able to reproduce this?
>
>> My guess is that the problem is with the common swriter.exe (et al)
>> executable name. If I get time over the weekend I'll modify the names in
>> the Windows registry to see if I can cause the situation to change.
>
> As I mentioned before, in the registry there's the full path of the
> executable, so it doesn't matter if they have the same name provided
> that the path is different.
>
> Here you have info on how this works:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872121(v=VS.85).aspx
>
>> In the interim; how about you test & also explain how a standard Windows
>> user is to "associate an extension with any
>> program you want and It doesn't matter if they have the same name or
>> not". And in particular, associate an .odt with *both* OOo and LibO on
>> the same system...
>
> There are many options, but I wil exclude the complicated ones. So I
> guess in Windows XP (in Vista and 7 this is nicer: Open With -> Choose
> Default Program) there are two options left:
>
> 1. sample.odt -> Open With -> Choose program -> Select program from a
> list -> Browse
>
> 2. Open Explorer -> Tools -> Folder options -> File types -> ODT ->
> Change (Advanced Options will allow you to create an entry in the Open
> With menú, but you need to be a bit more advanced user).

Thanks for testing. I'll test again tomorrow as I'm currently updating
my machine with the WinXPPro VM on it from Ubuntu lucid to maverick.

NoOp NoOp

Re: Change executable/sh names

On 12/18/2010 03:48 AM, Jesús Corrius wrote:

>> Right-click the .odt and select 'Open With' (WinXPPro); the 'Programs'
>> window shows only option for LibO, not OOo. It does show options for
>> Word if MS Word is installed and has the odf converter installed. I've
>> repeated this on my WinXPro VM by:
>>
>> 1. Uninstalling all instances of OOo and LibO.
>> 2. Reinstall OOo (3.2.1 OOO320m18) and verify that the .odt's are
>> associated with OOo.
>> 3. Reinstall LibORC1 (OOO330m18). The .odt's are now associated *only*
>> with LibO *and* cannot be reassociated with OOo from right-clicking and
>> 'Open With' from Windows Explorer.
>
> I was expecting to find some problem with the merge of the
> SupportedTypes in the registry during the installation, but everything
> worked fine in my Windows XP SP2. I've followed your instructions and
> I now have two entries in the "Open With" context menu, one for
> OpenOffice.org and the other one for LibreOffice.
>
> Anyone else is able to reproduce this?
>
>> My guess is that the problem is with the common swriter.exe (et al)
>> executable name. If I get time over the weekend I'll modify the names in
>> the Windows registry to see if I can cause the situation to change.
>
> As I mentioned before, in the registry there's the full path of the
> executable, so it doesn't matter if they have the same name provided
> that the path is different.
>
> Here you have info on how this works:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872121(v=VS.85).aspx

Nope. That's not how it works. Sorry for the delay in responding, but
your system does not work the same as mine (WinXPPro SP3). I went back
and repeated my initial. Here are screenshots of those:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5827/screenshotwithoooonly.png
Only OOo 3.2.1 installed.

Now I install LibO - and in this case I installed LibORC2 just to be
sure that the test is current. And this is the result:
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4994/screenshotwithliborc2.png
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9178/screenshotwithliborc22.png
Notice that all references to OOo are now missing.

So now I do the open with & browse to OOo swriter.exe and use that -
guess what happens... the .doc file opens in LibO.

As a test I rename the swriter.exe in C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org
3\program
to ooowriter.exe
and guess what happens when I use the choose program on the next go
around? Yep, the .doc now opens with OOo. And guess what now shows up in
the 'open with' dialog window... OOo:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4567/screenshotoootoooowrite.png

I'm happy to swap stories/tests, but IMO the problem still exists,

NoOp NoOp

On 12/23/2010 08:49 PM, NoOp wrote:

> On 12/18/2010 03:48 AM, Jesús Corrius wrote:
>>> Right-click the .odt and select 'Open With' (WinXPPro); the 'Programs'
>>> window shows only option for LibO, not OOo. It does show options for
>>> Word if MS Word is installed and has the odf converter installed. I've
>>> repeated this on my WinXPro VM by:
>>>
>>> 1. Uninstalling all instances of OOo and LibO.
>>> 2. Reinstall OOo (3.2.1 OOO320m18) and verify that the .odt's are
>>> associated with OOo.
>>> 3. Reinstall LibORC1 (OOO330m18). The .odt's are now associated *only*
>>> with LibO *and* cannot be reassociated with OOo from right-clicking and
>>> 'Open With' from Windows Explorer.
>>
>> I was expecting to find some problem with the merge of the
>> SupportedTypes in the registry during the installation, but everything
>> worked fine in my Windows XP SP2. I've followed your instructions and
>> I now have two entries in the "Open With" context menu, one for
>> OpenOffice.org and the other one for LibreOffice.
>>
>> Anyone else is able to reproduce this?
>>
>>> My guess is that the problem is with the common swriter.exe (et al)
>>> executable name. If I get time over the weekend I'll modify the names in
>>> the Windows registry to see if I can cause the situation to change.
>>
>> As I mentioned before, in the registry there's the full path of the
>> executable, so it doesn't matter if they have the same name provided
>> that the path is different.
>>
>> Here you have info on how this works:
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872121(v=VS.85).aspx
>
> Nope. That's not how it works. Sorry for the delay in responding, but
> your system does not work the same as mine (WinXPPro SP3). I went back
> and repeated my initial. Here are screenshots of those:
>
> http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5827/screenshotwithoooonly.png
> Only OOo 3.2.1 installed.
>
> Now I install LibO - and in this case I installed LibORC2 just to be
> sure that the test is current. And this is the result:
> http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4994/screenshotwithliborc2.png
> http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9178/screenshotwithliborc22.png
> Notice that all references to OOo are now missing.
>
> So now I do the open with & browse to OOo swriter.exe and use that -
> guess what happens... the .doc file opens in LibO.
>
> As a test I rename the swriter.exe in C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org
> 3\program
> to ooowriter.exe
> and guess what happens when I use the choose program on the next go
> around? Yep, the .doc now opens with OOo. And guess what now shows up in
> the 'open with' dialog window... OOo:
> http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4567/screenshotoootoooowrite.png
>
> I'm happy to swap stories/tests, but IMO the problem still exists,

Sorry, forgot to add the screenshot of where I'd changed OOo swriter.exe
to ooowriter.exe - here it is:
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/93/screenshotooowriter.png

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 5:56 AM, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I was expecting to find some problem with the merge of the
>>> SupportedTypes in the registry during the installation, but everything
>>> worked fine in my Windows XP SP2. I've followed your instructions and
>>> I now have two entries in the "Open With" context menu, one for
>>> OpenOffice.org and the other one for LibreOffice.
>>>
>>> Anyone else is able to reproduce this?

>>> As I mentioned before, in the registry there's the full path of the
>>> executable, so it doesn't matter if they have the same name provided
>>> that the path is different.
>>>
>>> Here you have info on how this works:
>>>
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872121(v=VS.85).aspx
>>
>> Nope. That's not how it works. Sorry for the delay in responding, but
>> your system does not work the same as mine (WinXPPro SP3). I went back
>> and repeated my initial. Here are screenshots of those:
>>
>> http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5827/screenshotwithoooonly.png
>> Only OOo 3.2.1 installed.
>>
>> Now I install LibO - and in this case I installed LibORC2 just to be
>> sure that the test is current. And this is the result:
>> http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4994/screenshotwithliborc2.png
>> http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9178/screenshotwithliborc22.png
>> Notice that all references to OOo are now missing.
>>
>> So now I do the open with & browse to OOo swriter.exe and use that -
>> guess what happens... the .doc file opens in LibO.
>>
>> As a test I rename the swriter.exe in C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org
>> 3\program
>> to ooowriter.exe
>> and guess what happens when I use the choose program on the next go
>> around? Yep, the .doc now opens with OOo. And guess what now shows up in
>> the 'open with' dialog window... OOo:
>> http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4567/screenshotoootoooowrite.png
>>
>> I'm happy to swap stories/tests, but IMO the problem still exists,
>
> Sorry, forgot to add the screenshot of where I'd changed OOo swriter.exe
> to ooowriter.exe - here it is:
> http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/93/screenshotooowriter.png

I see, I was able to reproduce it after making a few tests. Let me
investigate this further.

Scenarios that work (for me)
-------------------------

OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Works
OpenOffice 3.2.1 final + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Works

Scenarios that don't work (for me)
--------------------------------

Microsoft Office 2007 + OpenOffice 3.2.1 final + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Doesn't work
Microsoft Office 2007 + LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.2.1 final = Doesn't work
Microsoft Office 2007 + LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 = Doesn't work
Microsoft Office 2007 + OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Doesn't work

NoOp NoOp

On 12/24/2010 11:32 AM, Jesús Corrius wrote:

> I see, I was able to reproduce it after making a few tests. Let me
> investigate this further.
>
> Scenarios that work (for me)
> -------------------------
>
> OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Works
> OpenOffice 3.2.1 final + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Works
>
> Scenarios that don't work (for me)
> --------------------------------
>
> Microsoft Office 2007 + OpenOffice 3.2.1 final + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Doesn't work
> Microsoft Office 2007 + LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.2.1 final = Doesn't work
> Microsoft Office 2007 + LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 = Doesn't work
> Microsoft Office 2007 + OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Doesn't work
> LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.2.1 final = Doesn't work
> LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 = Doesn't work

Thanks!

NoOp NoOp

On 12/24/2010 03:26 PM, NoOp wrote:

> On 12/24/2010 11:32 AM, Jesús Corrius wrote:
>> I see, I was able to reproduce it after making a few tests. Let me
>> investigate this further.
>>
>> Scenarios that work (for me)
>> -------------------------
>>
>> OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Works
>> OpenOffice 3.2.1 final + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Works
>>
>> Scenarios that don't work (for me)
>> --------------------------------
>>
>> Microsoft Office 2007 + OpenOffice 3.2.1 final + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Doesn't work
>> Microsoft Office 2007 + LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.2.1 final = Doesn't work
>> Microsoft Office 2007 + LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 = Doesn't work
>> Microsoft Office 2007 + OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Doesn't work
>> LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.2.1 final = Doesn't work
>> LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 = Doesn't work
>
> Thanks!

Any progress on this? Would it help if I filed a bug report?

This issue is (to me) critical regarding any further RC or full release
of LibO.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:38 AM, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/24/2010 03:26 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/24/2010 11:32 AM, Jesús Corrius wrote:
>>> I see, I was able to reproduce it after making a few tests. Let me
>>> investigate this further.
>>>
>>> Scenarios that work (for me)
>>> -------------------------
>>>
>>> OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Works
>>> OpenOffice 3.2.1 final + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Works
>>>
>>> Scenarios that don't work (for me)
>>> --------------------------------
>>>
>>> Microsoft Office 2007 + OpenOffice 3.2.1 final + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Doesn't work
>>> Microsoft Office 2007 + LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.2.1 final = Doesn't work
>>> Microsoft Office 2007 + LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 = Doesn't work
>>> Microsoft Office 2007 + OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Doesn't work
>>> LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.2.1 final = Doesn't work
>>> LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 = Doesn't work
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Any progress on this? Would it help if I filed a bug report?
>
> This issue is (to me) critical regarding any further RC or full release
> of LibO.

Sorry, I have been in Norway for more than week in a cabin without
computers or internet connection.

I will send a patch very soon.

NoOp NoOp

On 01/05/2011 02:55 AM, Jesús Corrius wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:38 AM, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Any progress on this? Would it help if I filed a bug report?
>>
>> This issue is (to me) critical regarding any further RC or full release
>> of LibO.
>
> Sorry, I have been in Norway for more than week in a cabin without
> computers or internet connection.

I'm envious. :-)

> I will send a patch very soon.
>
> Cheers,

Thanks & Happy New Year!

Gary

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 7:34 PM, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/05/2011 02:55 AM, Jesús Corrius wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:38 AM, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Any progress on this? Would it help if I filed a bug report?
>>>
>>> This issue is (to me) critical regarding any further RC or full release
>>> of LibO.
>>
>> Sorry, I have been in Norway for more than week in a cabin without
>> computers or internet connection.
>
> I'm envious. :-)
>

>> I will send a patch very soon.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> Thanks & Happy New Year!
The attached patch fixes the issue for me, although I feel the changes
are intrusive and so it requires a lot of testing. The main problem is
that all the Windows registry stuff inside LibO requires a lot more
changes to make sure it doesn't clash with OOo and this is just a
small piece of it.

registry_prefix_changes.diff (155K) Download Attachment
Tor Lillqvist Tor Lillqvist

Re: Change executable/sh names

> The attached patch fixes the issue for me,

I don't think there is a need to abbreviate "LibreOffice" as "loffice" in the registry key names. We shouldn't use too many names for our baby.

Otherwise, I'd say please do commit (to master).

--tml

Jesús Corrius Jesús Corrius

Re: Change executable/sh names

Hi Tor,

>> The attached patch fixes the issue for me,
>
> I don't think there is a need to abbreviate "LibreOffice" as "loffice" in the registry key names. We shouldn't use too many names for our baby.
>
> Otherwise, I'd say please do commit (to master).

The problem is that we are using the same Windows registry keys as
OpenOffice.org and in practice that means that both products are
incompatible and you'll have problems if you install them side by side
or if you try to uninstall one while you work with the other.

I guess we have 3 ways to adress this issue:

1. Document the problem and make users uninstall any previous versions
of OOo before installing LibO.

2. Make only a few changes in the most critical parts (for example:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\soffice.exe)
but share most of the keys.

3. Use a completely different windows registry keys for LibO.

This patch would be the first step for the 3rd one, but I agree that
is something that haven't been discussed yet. I guess the "big guys"
should take a decision on that matter.

Thorsten Behrens Thorsten Behrens

Jesús Corrius wrote:
> 3. Use a completely different windows registry keys for LibO.

That's the right approach in my book. And, if you, or somebody else
is volunteering to do that - it would be really great to have those
name instances consolidated to some $PRODUCTNAME placeholder or
somesuch ... ;)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Jesús Corrius Jesús Corrius

Re: Change executable/sh names

Hi Thorsten,

2011/1/10 Thorsten Behrens <[hidden email]>:
> Jesús Corrius wrote:
>> 3. Use a completely different windows registry keys for LibO.
>>
> That's the right approach in my book. And, if you, or somebody else
> is volunteering to do that - it would be really great to have those
> name instances consolidated to some $PRODUCTNAME placeholder or
> somesuch ... ;)

Ok ok I volunteer ;) I will have a look at it.

Do we have an agreement to rename the executable on Windows? Sounds
like an easy task and the changes in the registry that will have to be
done after that will fix some of the major problems the users can
experience when they have both free office suites installed in their
computers.

Jesús Corrius <[hidden email]>
Document Foundation founding member
Skype: jcorrius | Twitter: @jcorrius
Pedro Pedro

Re: Change executable/sh names

Every time I update LibO or OOo (and like me most users who are experimenting with LibO but want to keep up with the currently more stable OOo) the file associations get messed up for the reasons explained by Jesús.

Have the devs reached any decision on this?
Michael Meeks Michael Meeks

On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 02:37 -0800, plino wrote:
> Every time I update LibO or OOo (and like me most users who are experimenting
> with LibO but want to keep up with the currently more stable OOo) the file
> associations get messed up for the reasons explained by Jesús.
>
> Have the devs reached any decision on this?

        Didn't Jesus have a patch ? if so, we can merge it of course; it won't
get into 3.3.0, but 3.3.1 might be a good target, failing that 3.4 I
suppose.

        Sorry it causes you pain !

        HTH,

                Michael.

Pedro Pedro

Re: Change executable/sh names

Michael, please don't regard this as a personal complaint.

I think many users who are currently using OOo will have this problem when they try LO (and update any of them).

I think it's a bad idea to cause grievance to users who are giving it a go. IMO it will make them stick to OOo...

Changing this now would be a wiser option.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I can manually change the exe names to l*.exe (as long as I don't rename soffice.exe which must be fixed internally) without any loss in functionality. I think this proves that it's a minor change for the program but a major change for usability.

Just my 2 cents.
Next » 12