Change icon?

Next » 1234
Lucas Filho Lucas Filho

Change icon?

Hello Community,

Apologies: Use Google to type:)

I think the logo Libo too simple. Expresses nothing: (

What do you think of only changing the logo (icon design)?

I thought of something like a paper airplane. This way we can distribute events
airplanes of paper for everyone. It would be a way to publicize the mark and
more Libo.

Imagine if this paper airplane also had the mark stamped on their wings. Plus,
they had information about the Libo. I would be very nice to see many people
leaving a local paper airplanes in hand.

Thus, the paper plane would be easier to work on the icons in the advertising
material and all.

What do you think?

Até mais,
Lucas Filho
Open-Ce Tecnologias e Serviços
http://www.open-ce.com.br
::@strogildo - Educação a distância
http://astrogildo.blogspot.com
Coordenador Estadual GUBRO-Ceará
http://www.broffice.org/gubro-ce

Blog Pessoal
http://lucasfilho.blogspot.com

Agradecemos a Deus por tudo

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Change icon?

Hi Lucas, :-)

I remember you brought this subject up before. I remember it didn't
really inspire me at that time, but I think I've changed my mind.

I have mentioned a couple of times in threads that I find the current
"sheet of paper" logo to be static, and to be lacking sharp identity
and recognizability. I was suggesting that LibO needed a "living"
character along the lines of Linux's Tux the penguin.

I felt that such a character could be declined/derived for multiple
uses and needs, and could quickly acquire a life of its own. I
visualize something that can be used in graphics and animations.

On second consideration of your idea, I feel it could have great
potential. It has the simplicity of genius, so seemingly trivial that
one could discard the notion without a second thought. But I think you
may have hit on "the idea of the century" for LibO.

Your paper plane fits in superbly with the paper sheet, as a natural
development thereof. The possibilities are many. It can be made into
something that fires empathy in the young and old, the simple and the
sophisticated.

What do you think about the idea of giving it eyes, or some kind of
face? Can you find a way to breathe life into it, like the old man
into Pinnochio?

I would warmly encourage you to keep working on your concept. If I can
be of assistance in any way, please feel free to contact me.

I think this idea could be a real winner, and has some brilliance.
Lots of potential.

My 0.2 cents. I'm really hoping that second thoughts about it will
inspire people in the project.

I'll be watching out to hear more about your invention.

David Nelson

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Change icon?

Hi again, Lucas, :-)

Afterthought: why don't you also bring this subject up on the
[tdf-discuss] list, where more people can be exposed to your idea?

David Nelson

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Change icon?

Le 2010-11-02 19:58, David Nelson a écrit :

> Hi Lucas, :-)
>
> I remember you brought this subject up before. I remember it didn't
> really inspire me at that time, but I think I've changed my mind.
>
> I have mentioned a couple of times in threads that I find the current
> "sheet of paper" logo to be static, and to be lacking sharp identity
> and recognizability. I was suggesting that LibO needed a "living"
> character along the lines of Linux's Tux the penguin.
>
> I felt that such a character could be declined/derived for multiple
> uses and needs, and could quickly acquire a life of its own. I
> visualize something that can be used in graphics and animations.
>
> On second consideration of your idea, I feel it could have great
> potential. It has the simplicity of genius, so seemingly trivial that
> one could discard the notion without a second thought. But I think you
> may have hit on "the idea of the century" for LibO.
>
> Your paper plane fits in superbly with the paper sheet, as a natural
> development thereof. The possibilities are many. It can be made into
> something that fires empathy in the young and old, the simple and the
> sophisticated.
>
> What do you think about the idea of giving it eyes, or some kind of
> face? Can you find a way to breathe life into it, like the old man
> into Pinnochio?
>
> I would warmly encourage you to keep working on your concept. If I can
> be of assistance in any way, please feel free to contact me.
>
> I think this idea could be a real winner, and has some brilliance.
> Lots of potential.
>
> My 0.2 cents. I'm really hoping that second thoughts about it will
> inspire people in the project.
>
> I'll be watching out to hear more about your invention.
>
> David Nelson

Yes, we could have two discussions about this. One on this side with
this thread and the other (we will monitor it) on the discuss list.

Before we do this. Is there any business or organization that uses a
paper airplane as a logo?

I can't think of any off the top of my head in my region. Is there a way
to research this?

Marc

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Change icon?

Le 2010-11-02 19:58, David Nelson a écrit :

> Your paper plane fits in superbly with the paper sheet, as a natural
> development thereof. The possibilities are many. It can be made into
> something that fires empathy in the young and old, the simple and the
> sophisticated.
>
> What do you think about the idea of giving it eyes, or some kind of
> face? Can you find a way to breathe life into it, like the old man
> into Pinnochio?
>
> David Nelson

I don't think you would need to personify it.

How about when you start a document, the logo starts off with the LibO
logo that we have worked on and the more you type, the more the folds of
a paper plane appear, and then the logo shows a paper plane outline to
finally its final shape of a paper plane ready to fly ... it is done!

Marc

Benjamin Horst Benjamin Horst

Re: Change icon?

On Nov 2, 2010, at 10:27 PM, Marc Paré wrote:

> Le 2010-11-02 19:58, David Nelson a écrit :
>
>> Your paper plane fits in superbly with the paper sheet, as a natural
>> development thereof. The possibilities are many. It can be made into
>> something that fires empathy in the young and old, the simple and the
>> sophisticated.
>>
>> What do you think about the idea of giving it eyes, or some kind of
>> face? Can you find a way to breathe life into it, like the old man
>> into Pinnochio?
>>
>> David Nelson
>>

> I don't think you would need to personify it.
>
> How about when you start a document, the logo starts off with the LibO logo that we have worked on and the more you type, the more the folds of a paper plane appear, and then the logo shows a paper plane outline to finally its final shape of a paper plane ready to fly ... it is done!

I am liking the paper plane icon concept more and more, as well.

To go along with the icon, we could create various folding templates for different paper plane designs, put a LibO icon on them in prominent places, and distribute them digitally as ODGs and PDFs. We could print them out for conferences, and let people pick them up and fold them using instructions printed as part of the template.

There are many great designs to be found online, such as these: http://www.funpaperairplanes.com/Plane%20Downloads.html

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Change icon?

Le 2010-11-03 11:56, Benjamin Horst a écrit :

> On Nov 2, 2010, at 10:27 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
>
>> Le 2010-11-02 19:58, David Nelson a écrit :
>>
>>> Your paper plane fits in superbly with the paper sheet, as a natural
>>> development thereof. The possibilities are many. It can be made into
>>> something that fires empathy in the young and old, the simple and the
>>> sophisticated.
>>>
>>> What do you think about the idea of giving it eyes, or some kind of
>>> face? Can you find a way to breathe life into it, like the old man
>>> into Pinnochio?
>>>
>>> David Nelson
>>>

>> I don't think you would need to personify it.
>>
>> How about when you start a document, the logo starts off with the LibO logo that we have worked on and the more you type, the more the folds of a paper plane appear, and then the logo shows a paper plane outline to finally its final shape of a paper plane ready to fly ... it is done!
>
> I am liking the paper plane icon concept more and more, as well.
>
> To go along with the icon, we could create various folding templates for different paper plane designs, put a LibO icon on them in prominent places, and distribute them digitally as ODGs and PDFs. We could print them out for conferences, and let people pick them up and fold them using instructions printed as part of the template.
>
> There are many great designs to be found online, such as these: http://www.funpaperairplanes.com/Plane%20Downloads.html
>
> -Ben
>
> Benjamin Horst
> [hidden email]
> 646-464-2314 (Eastern)
> www.solidoffice.com

I like this! Sort of like a class gone out of control. EEEk!

Marc

yorick yorick

Re: Change icon?

On Thursday 04 Nov 2010 04:56:55 Benjamin Horst wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2010, at 10:27 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
> > Le 2010-11-02 19:58, David Nelson a écrit :
> >> Your paper plane fits in superbly with the paper sheet, as a natural
> >> development thereof. The possibilities are many. It can be made into
> >> something that fires empathy in the young and old, the simple and the
> >> sophisticated.
> >>
> >> What do you think about the idea of giving it eyes, or some kind of
> >> face? Can you find a way to breathe life into it, like the old man
> >> into Pinnochio?
> >>
> >> David Nelson
> >
> > I don't think you would need to personify it.
> >
> > How about when you start a document, the logo starts off with the LibO
> > logo that we have worked on and the more you type, the more the folds of
> > a paper plane appear, and then the logo shows a paper plane outline to
> > finally its final shape of a paper plane ready to fly ... it is done!
>
> I am liking the paper plane icon concept more and more, as well.
>
> To go along with the icon, we could create various folding templates for
> different paper plane designs, put a LibO icon on them in prominent
> places, and distribute them digitally as ODGs and PDFs. We could print
> them out for conferences, and let people pick them up and fold them using
> instructions printed as part of the template.
>
> There are many great designs to be found online, such as these:
> http://www.funpaperairplanes.com/Plane%20Downloads.html
>
> -Ben
>
> Benjamin Horst
> [hidden email]
> 646-464-2314 (Eastern)
> www.solidoffice.com

This could be the basis of an extremely good marketing campaign.

"LibreO -Fly the Plane" or something similar, paper plane designs on line, in
templates and extensions.

I'm coming round, I like it a lot, certainly as a launch platform.
  "LibreO takes Flight"

and so on

cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org

Brenden Seibel Brenden Seibel

Re: Change icon?

Love the paper plane idea.

Brenden

OpenOffice.org MarCon (Marketing Contact) NZ http://marketing.openoffice.org/contacts.html

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies) www.theingots.org

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Change icon?

Hi Marc, all!

Sorry for being a bit late - missed the plane (sorry, bad joke *g*). I
just have a few-hours-timeslot for answering mails which was partly
filled with the today's SC meeting. So well ...

Am Dienstag, den 02.11.2010, 21:31 -0400 schrieb Marc Paré:
> Before we do this. Is there any business or organization that uses a
> paper airplane as a logo?

However, when we thought about the LibO branding, we also thought about
the paper plane idea, but we did not use it for one main (let's call it)
reason. Marc, as you said, we didn't knew exactly about other
organizations and their logos. I remember that I saw something like that
for a postal service or so. But we didn't investigate here too much.
Maybe you can start here

I know that some people think the current logo misses a personal
touch ... to be honest, I thought that we might have something like
"Duke" (the Java mascot). But I really miss the design skills to turn a
document into a cool, thrilling and funny thing (the triangles being the
hat, the eyebrows, ...). Anybody with a pencil and a sheet of paper? :-)

Just my thoughts ...

Cheers,
Christoph

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Change icon?

Hi, :-)

> Am Dienstag, den 02.11.2010, 21:31 -0400 schrieb Marc Paré:
>> Before we do this. Is there any business or organization that uses a
>> paper airplane as a logo?

I can find a few hours today. Unless anyone's got a better plan, I
propose to do a bit of footwork and do some checking to see if the
idea is being used by any other organization... That might save Lucas
some time while he thinks more about his concept. So I'll report back
on this thread later.

David Nelson

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Change icon?

Le 2010-11-03 17:08, Christoph Noack a écrit :

> Hi Marc, all!
>
> Sorry for being a bit late - missed the plane (sorry, bad joke *g*). I
> just have a few-hours-timeslot for answering mails which was partly
> filled with the today's SC meeting. So well ...
>
> Am Dienstag, den 02.11.2010, 21:31 -0400 schrieb Marc Paré:
>> Before we do this. Is there any business or organization that uses a
>> paper airplane as a logo?
>
> However, when we thought about the LibO branding, we also thought about
> the paper plane idea, but we did not use it for one main (let's call it)
> reason. Marc, as you said, we didn't knew exactly about other
> organizations and their logos. I remember that I saw something like that
> for a postal service or so. But we didn't investigate here too much.
> Maybe you can start here
>
> I know that some people think the current logo misses a personal
> touch ... to be honest, I thought that we might have something like
> "Duke" (the Java mascot). But I really miss the design skills to turn a
> document into a cool, thrilling and funny thing (the triangles being the
> hat, the eyebrows, ...). Anybody with a pencil and a sheet of paper? :-)
>
> Just my thoughts ...
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

If I needed a personal icon for myself it would be a shredder. Hey,
maybe for the Emo's!

Canada Post -- a plane, but only kind of

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/languageswitcher.jsf

Just thought about it. But our concept would obviously look cooler.

Marc

Jens Habermann Jens Habermann

Re: Change icon?

Hi!

I don´t think a paper plane is the right choice for a serious application used in personal and business world.
Also a mascot is also a very difficult thing: you can get a tux or a paper clip...

Nevertheless we should continue gather ideas and maybe something will evolve...
So I will think about it and eventually come up with some ideas, too.

regards
Jens

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Change icon?

Hi Lucas & guys, :-)

I didn't find any usage of paper plane logos/graphics that, IMHO,
precludes adopting Lucas Filho's idea. The companies/organizations
using a paper plane-based logo probably have less name recognition
than LibO can potentially acquire. IANAL, but I imagine there wouldn't
be any copyright problem, especially if one came up with something
having its own originality.

In any case, a sheet of paper is a pretty ubiquitous thing, too, so
maybe the same issues would apply to TDF's current logo?

Below are some quick research results for your consideration. HTH.

David Nelson

Paper planes research:
===================

Uses a paper plane in their logo:

http://paperplane-studio.blogspot.com/
http://paperplane.net/
http://www.paperplane.co.nz/
http://www.paperplane-creative.co.uk/

Uses "paper plane" in their name:

http://www.paperplanestudio.com/newfiles/paper.html
http://www.paperplanemag.com/
http://www.myspace.com/paperplaneproject
http://pubget.com/help/paper_plane
http://littlepaperplanes.com/
http://www.paperplane.com.au/ (Drupal logo is their favicon...)
http://www.paper-plane.fr/ (cloud graphic as logo)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_Planes (might grant permission to
use excerpt from their music?)
http://www.gotopaperplane.com/
http://www.paperplane.co.nz/
http://paperplaneacademy.com.au/
http://www.paperplane-creative.co.uk/

Uses a paper plane in a prominent graphic:

http://paperplane.net/
http://www.funpaperairplanes.com/
http://www.paperplane.com.au/
http://paperplaneacademy.com.au/

Fun stuff about making paper planes:

http://www.paperplane.org/
http://www.paperairplanes.co.uk/planes.php
http://www.origami-kids.com/
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2768368762284821227#
http://www.amazingpaperairplanes.com/
http://paperairplaneshq.com/
http://www.bestpaperairplanes.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/planes/

Lucas Filho Lucas Filho

Res: [libreoffice-marketing] Change icon?

Hello David Nelson,

Thank you for your kind words in another e-mail.

I'm still a bit lost to view as many emails as I do this using Google to
translate. I confess I do not do this with all e-mails - at least one for each
subject to know what it is.

About one character to the Libo see what I can do and I provide the link.

Thanks.

Até mais,
Lucas Filho
Open-Ce Tecnologias e Serviços
http://www.open-ce.com.br
::@strogildo - Educação a distância
http://astrogildo.blogspot.com
Coordenador Estadual GUBRO-Ceará
http://www.broffice.org/gubro-ce

Blog Pessoal
http://lucasfilho.blogspot.com

Agradecemos a Deus por tudo

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Change icon?

Le 2010-11-03 19:54, David Nelson a écrit :

> Hi Lucas&  guys, :-)
>
> I didn't find any usage of paper plane logos/graphics that, IMHO,
> precludes adopting Lucas Filho's idea. The companies/organizations
> using a paper plane-based logo probably have less name recognition
> than LibO can potentially acquire. IANAL, but I imagine there wouldn't
> be any copyright problem, especially if one came up with something
> having its own originality.
>
> In any case, a sheet of paper is a pretty ubiquitous thing, too, so
> maybe the same issues would apply to TDF's current logo?
>
> Below are some quick research results for your consideration. HTH.
>
> David Nelson

Thanks David: I've added my comments on some of these too.

Marc

> Paper planes research:
> ===================
>
> Uses a paper plane in their logo:
>
> http://paperplane-studio.blogspot.com/
> http://paperplane.net/
> http://www.paperplane.co.nz/

This next one has a neat flash effect with the paper plane.
> http://www.paperplane-creative.co.uk/
>
> Uses "paper plane" in their name:
>
> http://www.paperplanestudio.com/newfiles/paper.html
> http://www.paperplanemag.com/
> http://www.myspace.com/paperplaneproject

This next one has a nice icon -- slanted
> http://pubget.com/help/paper_plane
> http://littlepaperplanes.com/
> http://www.paperplane.com.au/ (Drupal logo is their favicon...)
> http://www.paper-plane.fr/ (cloud graphic as logo)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_Planes (might grant permission to
> use excerpt from their music?)
Hmmm, they used gun shots for the register sounds and there is some kind
of political overtone to the song.

But, hey, from a marketing point of view we could perhaps run a contest
for a LibO "paperplane" icon song.?

> http://www.gotopaperplane.com/

This next one has a small paper plane icon -- nice if you want a subtle
icon effect
> http://www.paperplane.co.nz/
> http://paperplaneacademy.com.au/

This next one has a folding paper plane icon
> http://www.paperplane-creative.co.uk/
>
> Uses a paper plane in a prominent graphic:
>
> http://paperplane.net/

This next one has a larger icon, different shape.
> http://www.funpaperairplanes.com/
> http://www.paperplane.com.au/
> http://paperplaneacademy.com.au/
>
> Fun stuff about making paper planes:

This next one has a flying paper plane and music.
> http://www.paperplane.org/
> http://www.paperairplanes.co.uk/planes.php
> http://www.origami-kids.com/
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2768368762284821227#
> http://www.amazingpaperairplanes.com/
> http://paperairplaneshq.com/
> http://www.bestpaperairplanes.com/
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/planes/

Has a sort of paperplane logo.
http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/languageswitcher.jsf

Florian Monfort Florian Monfort

Re: Change icon?

Le mercredi 03 novembre 2010 à 20:27 +0000, Brenden Seibel a écrit :

> Love the paper plane idea.
>
> Brenden

Hello all,

In deed I should have thought of that before. "La Poste" uses a paper
plane. It's the postal service we use in France, and maybe this company
is also present in other countries.

It's even a bank now if I remember well.

Lucas Filho Lucas Filho

Res: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: Change icon?

Hellow,

link:
http://www.elyseeinside.fr/2009/06/16/projet-de-loi-luc-chatel-propose-une-modernisation-de-la-poste/

Até mais,
Lucas Filho
Open-Ce Tecnologias e Serviços
http://www.open-ce.com.br
::@strogildo - Educação a distância
http://astrogildo.blogspot.com
Coordenador Estadual GUBRO-Ceará
http://www.broffice.org/gubro-ce

Blog Pessoal
http://lucasfilho.blogspot.com

Agradecemos a Deus por tudo

Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 4 de Novembro de 2010 13:22:06
Assunto: RE: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: Change icon?

Le mercredi 03 novembre 2010 à 20:27 +0000, Brenden Seibel a écrit :

> Love the paper plane idea.
>
> Brenden

Lucas Filho Lucas Filho

Res: Res: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: Change icon?

Hello Community,

I did some sketches using the idea of the paper airplane and a small set of
icons, We provide the link [1].

Drafts and are not bothered with the sample color palette.

There are two versions A and B. And I'd like to see other examples of the same
element. And whether the idea of the paper airplane must evolve or not so that I
and other friends are not redoing something that can not be used.

[1]: http://picasaweb.google.com/lucascoe/Diversos?feat=directlink

De: Monfort Florian <[hidden email]>
Para: [hidden email]
Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 4 de Novembro de 2010 13:22:06

Le mercredi 03 novembre 2010 à 20:27 +0000, Brenden Seibel a écrit :

> Love the paper plane idea.
>
> Brenden

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Change icon?

Le 2010-11-04 12:22, Monfort Florian a écrit :

> Hello all,
>
> In deed I should have thought of that before. "La Poste" uses a paper
> plane. It's the postal service we use in France, and maybe this company
> is also present in other countries.
>
> It's even a bank now if I remember well.

Merci Monfort:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were many postal services in many
countries using paper plane icons. But we should be able to come up with
one that will not infringe on another copyright.

Let's work it out and discuss it and see where it takes us. It is still
a pretty neat idea.

Marc

Next » 1234