Change icon?

Next » 1234 « Prev
marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Res: Res: Re: Change icon?

Le 2010-11-05 00:12, Lucas Filho a écrit :

> Hello Community,
>
> I did some sketches using the idea of the paper airplane and a small set of
> icons, We provide the link [1].
>
> Drafts and are not bothered with the sample color palette.
>
> There are two versions A and B. And I'd like to see other examples of the same
> element. And whether the idea of the paper airplane must evolve or not so that I
> and other friends are not redoing something that can not be used.
>
> [1]:http://picasaweb.google.com/lucascoe/Diversos?feat=directlink

Hi Lucas:

A 01 and B 01 - I don't particularly like the back view of the plane

I do like however the other icons with the trailing tail. This is quite
unique as I have not seen any other paper plane icons with this. It
shows movement. Of the 2 sets, I like the A02 with the shorter trailing
tail and shaded plane.

Small sets: A01, I like without colour fill. I wonder how it would look
like with a trailing tail?

Marc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Res: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: Change icon?

Hi Lucas, guys, :-)

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:12, Lucas Filho <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did some sketches using the idea of the paper airplane and a small set of
> icons, We provide the link [1].
> [1]: http://picasaweb.google.com/lucascoe/Diversos?feat=directlink

+1 A 02

+1 B 02

+1 for 01 of http://picasaweb.google.com/lucascoe/Diversos?feat=directlink#slideshow/5529578190029627330
but maybe with paper plane *behind* the lettering rather than in front.

But it would also be interesting to also see any other ideas, if you
have some in mind.

0.2 cents. ;-)

David Nelson

Manfred Usselmann Manfred Usselmann

Re: Res: Res: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: Change icon?

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 21:12:24 -0700 (PDT)
Lucas Filho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Community,
>
> I did some sketches using the idea of the paper airplane and a small
> set of icons, We provide the link [1].
>
> Drafts and are not bothered with the sample color palette.
>
> There are two versions A and B. And I'd like to see other examples of
> the same element. And whether the idea of the paper airplane must
> evolve or not so that I and other friends are not redoing something
> that can not be used.
>
> [1]: http://picasaweb.google.com/lucascoe/Diversos?feat=directlink

The paper plane is a nice idea, but I'm not sure if it is really suitable.

I associate it with a) air mail and b) childhood / toy.

Manfred

yorick yorick

On Friday 05 Nov 2010 22:36:20 Manfred Usselmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 21:12:24 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Lucas Filho <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello Community,
> >
> > I did some sketches using the idea of the paper airplane and a small
> > set of icons, We provide the link [1].
> >
> > Drafts and are not bothered with the sample color palette.
> >
> > There are two versions A and B. And I'd like to see other examples of
> > the same element. And whether the idea of the paper airplane must
> > evolve or not so that I and other friends are not redoing something
> > that can not be used.
> >
> > [1]: http://picasaweb.google.com/lucascoe/Diversos?feat=directlink
>
> The paper plane is a nice idea, but I'm not sure if it is really suitable.
>
> I associate it with a) air mail and b) childhood / toy.
>
> Manfred

People will always have different associations for logos and that doesn't
really matter unless it has a high profile attachment to another brand or
similar.  Now that I've seen so many other paper plane icons I'm thinking that
it fails because it is not unique. The page with the folded corner is however,
quite unique.

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Res: Res: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: Change icon?

Hi, :-)

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 20:06, Graham Lauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> People will always have different associations for logos and that doesn't
> really matter unless it has a high profile attachment to another brand or
> similar.  Now that I've seen so many other paper plane icons I'm thinking that
> it fails because it is not unique. The page with the folded corner is however,
> quite unique.

+1 for Lucas' paper plane. :-D

Personally, the "folded corner" doesn't trigger any such association
in my mind. I had to read that in the list to realize that's what it
was supposed to be.

At least the paper plane looks clearly like what it is. And,IMHO,
there weren't *so many* paper plane logos. Plus LibO's is likely to be
the most-recognized worldwide.

The important thing would be for LibO's paper plane to have its own
originality? Plus I feel the concept has a lot of flexibility and
open-endedness...

Subjective thing. 0.2 cents. ;-)

David Nelson

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Res: Res: Re: Change icon?

Le 2010-11-05 08:49, David Nelson a écrit :

> Hi, :-)
>
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 20:06, Graham Lauder<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> People will always have different associations for logos and that doesn't
>> really matter unless it has a high profile attachment to another brand or
>> similar.  Now that I've seen so many other paper plane icons I'm thinking that
>> it fails because it is not unique. The page with the folded corner is however,
>> quite unique.
>
> +1 for Lucas' paper plane. :-D
>
> Personally, the "folded corner" doesn't trigger any such association
> in my mind. I had to read that in the list to realize that's what it
> was supposed to be.
>
> At least the paper plane looks clearly like what it is. And,IMHO,
> there weren't *so many* paper plane logos. Plus LibO's is likely to be
> the most-recognized worldwide.
>
> The important thing would be for LibO's paper plane to have its own
> originality? Plus I feel the concept has a lot of flexibility and
> open-endedness...
>
> Subjective thing. 0.2 cents. ;-)
>
> David Nelson

I also like the paper plane logo. Most people will naturally assume a
paper product and I would think that this is a universal impression. We
can still create a unique style of logo, in this case, I favour the
trailing tail on the paper plane.

If we wanted to we could also move on to a form of animated gif-type
logo, the print version would be the static logo.

There are so many more forms of directions and styles that we could
develop for different use of LibO suite. The home version could have
more of the snappy and vibrant paper plane logo, while the
business/corporate paper plane logo could be more of a stiffer/staid logo.

The page with the folded corner just doesn't seem to have promise of
many more options that could offer the change to add a kind of
"coolness" and "snappy" feel to it.

Just my added thoughts.

Marc

yorick yorick

On Saturday 06 Nov 2010 01:49:34 David Nelson wrote:

> Hi, :-)
>
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 20:06, Graham Lauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > People will always have different associations for logos and that doesn't
> > really matter unless it has a high profile attachment to another brand or
> > similar.  Now that I've seen so many other paper plane icons I'm thinking
> > that it fails because it is not unique. The page with the folded corner
> > is however, quite unique.
>
> +1 for Lucas' paper plane. :-D
>
> Personally, the "folded corner" doesn't trigger any such association
> in my mind. I had to read that in the list to realize that's what it
> was supposed to be.

It's not supposed to trigger any association at this point.  It's necessary to
look at the branding long term

> At least the paper plane looks clearly like what it is. And,IMHO,
> there weren't *so many* paper plane logos.

More than one is too many, One large corporate such as laPoste is more than
too many.   Branding is about having unique image that eventually is
immediately identified with the product or service.

> Plus LibO's is likely to be
> the most-recognized worldwide.
>
> The important thing would be for LibO's paper plane to have its own
> originality? Plus I feel the concept has a lot of flexibility and
> open-endedness...

Originality and uniqueness are the key indeed, I'm just saying that the paper
plane while cool in concept is not sufficiently unique or original
unfortunately.  Does the Folded corner page, fulfil the criteria?  Moreso than
the paper plane.

Have a read of Paul Rand, Rand designed the IBM logo as well as a few other
iconic brands in the US, Westinghouse, UPS and ABC.  He is considered the
father of modern branding by many. He explains it better than I can.

http://www.paul-rand.com/site/thoughts_logosflags/

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Res: Res: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: Change icon?

Hi Graham, :-)

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 07:59, Graham Lauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Have a read of Paul Rand, Rand designed the IBM logo as well as a few other
> iconic brands in the US, Westinghouse, UPS and ABC.  He is considered the
> father of modern branding by many. He explains it better than I can.
>
> http://www.paul-rand.com/site/thoughts_logosflags/

It is indeed an interesting and enlightening read. Thanks for the link. :-)

David Nelson

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Res: Res: Re: Change icon?

Le 2010-11-05 19:59, Graham Lauder a écrit :
> Have a read of Paul Rand, Rand designed the IBM logo as well as a few other
> iconic brands in the US, Westinghouse, UPS and ABC.  He is considered the
> father of modern branding by many. He explains it better than I can.
>
> http://www.paul-rand.com/site/thoughts_logosflags/

Thanks for the link.

Marc

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Res: Res: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: Change icon?

Hi Graham, hi David!

Good reading, I agree. Thanks Graham!

My personal highlight - because it is also absolutely valid for User
Experience work: "Simple ideas, as well as simple designs are,
ironically, the products of circuitous mental purposes."

Cheers,
Christoph

Am Samstag, den 06.11.2010, 12:55 +0800 schrieb David Nelson:

> Hi Graham, :-)
>
> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 07:59, Graham Lauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Have a read of Paul Rand, Rand designed the IBM logo as well as a few other
> > iconic brands in the US, Westinghouse, UPS and ABC.  He is considered the
> > father of modern branding by many. He explains it better than I can.
> >
> > http://www.paul-rand.com/site/thoughts_logosflags/
>
> It is indeed an interesting and enlightening read. Thanks for the link. :-)
>
> David Nelson

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Change icon?

Hi David,

thanks for the research work :-) I just wanted to mention that, because
I won't be able to comment on the rest of the threads at the moment.

Moreover, it would be great if you could link your mail (along with some
paper plane considerations) from within the Marketing Ideas page [1] -
so it doesn't get lost.

Cheers,
Christoph

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Ideas

Am Donnerstag, den 04.11.2010, 07:54 +0800 schrieb David Nelson:

> Hi Lucas & guys, :-)
>
> I didn't find any usage of paper plane logos/graphics that, IMHO,
> precludes adopting Lucas Filho's idea. The companies/organizations
> using a paper plane-based logo probably have less name recognition
> than LibO can potentially acquire. IANAL, but I imagine there wouldn't
> be any copyright problem, especially if one came up with something
> having its own originality.
>
> In any case, a sheet of paper is a pretty ubiquitous thing, too, so
> maybe the same issues would apply to TDF's current logo?
>
> Below are some quick research results for your consideration. HTH.
>
> David Nelson
>
> Paper planes research:
> ===================
>
> Uses a paper plane in their logo:
>
> http://paperplane-studio.blogspot.com/
> http://paperplane.net/
> http://www.paperplane.co.nz/
> http://www.paperplane-creative.co.uk/
>
> Uses "paper plane" in their name:
>
> http://www.paperplanestudio.com/newfiles/paper.html
> http://www.paperplanemag.com/
> http://www.myspace.com/paperplaneproject
> http://pubget.com/help/paper_plane
> http://littlepaperplanes.com/
> http://www.paperplane.com.au/ (Drupal logo is their favicon...)
> http://www.paper-plane.fr/ (cloud graphic as logo)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_Planes (might grant permission to
> use excerpt from their music?)
> http://www.gotopaperplane.com/
> http://www.paperplane.co.nz/
> http://paperplaneacademy.com.au/
> http://www.paperplane-creative.co.uk/
>
> Uses a paper plane in a prominent graphic:
>
> http://paperplane.net/
> http://www.funpaperairplanes.com/
> http://www.paperplane.com.au/
> http://paperplaneacademy.com.au/
>
> Fun stuff about making paper planes:
>
> http://www.paperplane.org/
> http://www.paperairplanes.co.uk/planes.php
> http://www.origami-kids.com/
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2768368762284821227#
> http://www.amazingpaperairplanes.com/
> http://paperairplaneshq.com/
> http://www.bestpaperairplanes.com/
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/planes/

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Change icon?

Le 2010-11-03 19:54, David Nelson a écrit :

> Hi Lucas&  guys, :-)
>
> I didn't find any usage of paper plane logos/graphics that, IMHO,
> precludes adopting Lucas Filho's idea. The companies/organizations
> using a paper plane-based logo probably have less name recognition
> than LibO can potentially acquire. IANAL, but I imagine there wouldn't
> be any copyright problem, especially if one came up with something
> having its own originality.
>
> In any case, a sheet of paper is a pretty ubiquitous thing, too, so
> maybe the same issues would apply to TDF's current logo?
>
> Below are some quick research results for your consideration. HTH.
>
> David Nelson
>
> Paper planes research:
> ===================
>
> Uses a paper plane in their logo:
>
> http://paperplane-studio.blogspot.com/
> http://paperplane.net/
> http://www.paperplane.co.nz/
> http://www.paperplane-creative.co.uk/
>
> Uses "paper plane" in their name:
>
> http://www.paperplanestudio.com/newfiles/paper.html
> http://www.paperplanemag.com/
> http://www.myspace.com/paperplaneproject
> http://pubget.com/help/paper_plane
> http://littlepaperplanes.com/
> http://www.paperplane.com.au/ (Drupal logo is their favicon...)
> http://www.paper-plane.fr/ (cloud graphic as logo)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_Planes (might grant permission to
> use excerpt from their music?)
> http://www.gotopaperplane.com/
> http://www.paperplane.co.nz/
> http://paperplaneacademy.com.au/
> http://www.paperplane-creative.co.uk/
>
> Uses a paper plane in a prominent graphic:
>
> http://paperplane.net/
> http://www.funpaperairplanes.com/
> http://www.paperplane.com.au/
> http://paperplaneacademy.com.au/
>
> Fun stuff about making paper planes:
>
> http://www.paperplane.org/
> http://www.paperairplanes.co.uk/planes.php
> http://www.origami-kids.com/
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2768368762284821227#
> http://www.amazingpaperairplanes.com/
> http://paperairplaneshq.com/
> http://www.bestpaperairplanes.com/
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/planes/

  Add this one:

http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/static/aboutus.html

bedipp bedipp

Re: Change icon?

Hi Lucas, all

sorry for stepping in so late :-(

I'd like to reply to not only this mail, but to this thread in general
(including Graham's link to Paul Rand).

Lucas Filho schrieb:
> Hello Community,
> [...]
>
> I think the logo Libo too simple. Expresses nothing: (

Simplicity is not at all a negative aspect of a logo.

I agree with you on the expression thing, if you refer to feelings. For
me the logo is more neutral and professional than associated with a
strong positive feeling. It's not cold, mainly because of the rounded
corners, and if we change the basic color from black to gray/anthracite
(or a shading) as already proposed the general impression will be even
more positive.

Stronger feelings (friendly, free, happy, natural ...) can be achieved
by the branding - by colors, fonts, shadings, related graphical elements
and so on.

We should avoid to be associated with "just playing" and "not serious" -
only with a professional impression we are able to be adopted not only
by individuals, but by decision makers in business, administration and
government.

If your "expresses nothing" refers to "no associations", I have to
disagree: Form the first sight it reminds me on the "normal document
icon" with the folded corner. In fact I wondered about the possibility
to define it as logo because of it's similarity to the document icon.

Without Christoph's information on the unfolded "dog-ear"
(http://luxate.blogspot.com/2010/10/1001-document-icons.html) I wouldn't
have associated it with an arrow or as metaphor for the transition from
the folded-corner paper documents to all the future document types.

But these associations are not necessary to have a good logo.

> What do you think of only changing the logo (icon design)?

I would rather think of creating secondary graphical elements that could
be integral part of our branding - perhaps even on the mimetype icons.

> I thought of something like a paper airplane.[...]

I really like the paper plane idea.

In my vision there is a LibO logo folding and becoming a paper plane
flying from one person to the next...

But stop - we don't want our logo to be presented in wrong perspectives.
Does this included folded? Needs some discussion...

Another idea could be the mascot - based on the logo too.

With regard to your proposals
(http://picasaweb.google.com/lucascoe/Diversos?feat=directlink):

The first versions (A1 / B1) look clumsy to me, the second much better
and easier to understand (A2 / B2). They are slim and look fast ;-)

I would not show that the plane changed it's direction (negative
association IMHO), just leave the line away.

At the moment I'm not sure how the mimetype icons should look like (I
really like Ivan's second proposal:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding/Mimetype_Icons/Proposals#Second_Draft),
but I'm looking forward to discuss this topic in the near future...

Thanks for your ideas and proposals!

Best regards

Bernhard

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Change icon?

Hi, :-)

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 21:08, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi David,
> Moreover, it would be great if you could link your mail (along with some
> paper plane considerations) from within the Marketing Ideas page [1] -
> so it doesn't get lost.
> [1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Ideas

Done. ;-)

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Ideas#.22Libo.22_mascot

David Nelson

Florian Monfort Florian Monfort

Re: Res: Res: Re: Change icon?

Le vendredi 05 novembre 2010 à 14:54 -0400, Marc Paré a écrit :

> Le 2010-11-05 08:49, David Nelson a écrit :
> > Hi, :-)
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 20:06, Graham Lauder<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >> People will always have different associations for logos and that doesn't
> >> really matter unless it has a high profile attachment to another brand or
> >> similar.  Now that I've seen so many other paper plane icons I'm thinking that
> >> it fails because it is not unique. The page with the folded corner is however,
> >> quite unique.
> >
> > +1 for Lucas' paper plane. :-D
> >
> > Personally, the "folded corner" doesn't trigger any such association
> > in my mind. I had to read that in the list to realize that's what it
> > was supposed to be.
> >
> > At least the paper plane looks clearly like what it is. And,IMHO,
> > there weren't *so many* paper plane logos. Plus LibO's is likely to be
> > the most-recognized worldwide.
> >
> > The important thing would be for LibO's paper plane to have its own
> > originality? Plus I feel the concept has a lot of flexibility and
> > open-endedness...
> >
> > Subjective thing. 0.2 cents. ;-)
> >
> > David Nelson
> >

> I also like the paper plane logo. Most people will naturally assume a
> paper product and I would think that this is a universal impression. We
> can still create a unique style of logo, in this case, I favour the
> trailing tail on the paper plane.
>
> If we wanted to we could also move on to a form of animated gif-type
> logo, the print version would be the static logo.
>
> There are so many more forms of directions and styles that we could
> develop for different use of LibO suite. The home version could have
> more of the snappy and vibrant paper plane logo, while the
> business/corporate paper plane logo could be more of a stiffer/staid logo.
>
> The page with the folded corner just doesn't seem to have promise of
> many more options that could offer the change to add a kind of
> "coolness" and "snappy" feel to it.
>
> Just my added thoughts.
>
> Marc

About the copyrights, maybe I could give a call or a message to laposte
to ask them about the paper plane logo.

It would be something less to care about, even if in other countries
there might be other paper plane logos.

What do you think ?

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Res: Res: Re: Change icon?

Le 2010-11-08 14:36, Monfort Florian a écrit :

> About the copyrights, maybe I could give a call or a message to laposte
> to ask them about the paper plane logo.
>
> It would be something less to care about, even if in other countries
> there might be other paper plane logos.
>
> What do you think ?

It would surprise me if they hadn't copyrighted the logo. I don't think
you need to do this, we could safely assume that large organisations
have already done their homework and reserved all copyrights.

Thanks for offering though.

Marc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Res: Res: Re: Change icon?

Hi, :-)

They can certainly copyright their particular version. However, IANAL,
but I don't think they can copyright the whole concept of a paper
plane in general. Anyway, La Poste? Those guys can hardly stagger out
of bed in the morning... I'd be surprised if there would be a
problem... Anyway, their logo is in fact a bird, not a plane...

David Nelson

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Res: Res: Re: Change icon?

Le 2010-11-08 16:57, David Nelson a écrit :

> Hi, :-)
>
> They can certainly copyright their particular version. However, IANAL,
> but I don't think they can copyright the whole concept of a paper
> plane in general. Anyway, La Poste? Those guys can hardly stagger out
> of bed in the morning... I'd be surprised if there would be a
> problem... Anyway, their logo is in fact a bird, not a plane...
>
> David Nelson

Now, now, we could have some of them as members. LOL

Well, I guess we don't have to worry avout that one.

Marc

yorick yorick

Re: Res: Res: Re: Change icon?

On Tuesday 09 Nov 2010 10:57:39 David Nelson wrote:
> Hi, :-)
>
> They can certainly copyright their particular version. However, IANAL,
> but I don't think they can copyright the whole concept of a paper
> plane in general. Anyway, La Poste? Those guys can hardly stagger out
> of bed in the morning... I'd be surprised if there would be a
> problem... Anyway, their logo is in fact a bird, not a plane...
>
> David Nelson

The point is not about copyright or trademark, it's about uniqueness.It
wouldn't matter if they didn't have it trademarked, it would still be
unusable.

And you make good point why would we want a logo that is associated with:
"Those guys can hardly stagger out of bed in the morning."

When people see our logo it has to be unique enough to be only associated with
LibreO

People take the easy way out:

A logo attracts a persons attention.
Natural curiosity creates the question "Who does that represent?"
Natural laziness chooses an easily justified reply "Paper plane, must be
LaPoste." or whatever paperplane logo they're familiar with.

The paper plane is cool, I like it better than the folded page, however that
is just an aesthetic judgement, from a practical branding POV the paper loses
under the uniqueness criteria.

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org

Ivan M. Ivan M.

Re: Res: Res: Re: Change icon?

Hi Graham, all,

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Graham Lauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> The paper plane is cool, I like it better than the folded page, however that
> is just an aesthetic judgement, from a practical branding POV the paper loses
> under the uniqueness criteria.

IMO, the paper page is not a metaphor we should extend too much. The
Document Foundation/LibO logo is fine because it's close to the actual
symbol used for representing a wide variety of digital data formats.
However, a paper plane takes the metaphor too literally. LibreOffice
is a digital product; we're supposed to be living in the paperless age
(it's not the reality, I know, but it's not a bad thing to aspire to).
Linking the brand too closely with physical paper links it with the
past. I don't think there are many people out there who will embrace a
paper-based mascot (it won't be warm and cuddly - it'll give you
papercuts!)

- Ivan.

Next » 1234 « Prev