Changes to the Download pages

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Jean Spiteri Jean Spiteri
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Changes to the Download pages

I've already posted this on other mailing lists and feedback was positive
thus I'm posting it here as well.

I have done some work on the LibreOffice website in an effort to work on
https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/2155. At the moment, the work
has been saved as draft. Thus, it's not visible to users, except those who
have an account in SilverStripe.

My work can be divided in three tasks

1.    Created a new page named "LibreOffice Impress Remote" and put it as a
child of the Download. Thus, it can be seen in the Download menu as well.
2.    I have renamed the "Android and iOS" page to "LibreOffice Viewer for
Android".
3.    I have removed the Impress Remote download links from that page and
changed the text to lead to the new page.

I am looking forward for feedback. If this is positive, the changes could be
published soon. Thank you.



--
Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Website-f1644957.html

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changes to the Download pages

Hi Jean,

Apologies for not replying to this sooner...

On 13/08/2018 15:35, Jean Spiteri wrote:

>
> My work can be divided in three tasks
>
> 1.    Created a new page named "LibreOffice Impress Remote" and put it as a
> child of the Download. Thus, it can be seen in the Download menu as well.
> 2.    I have renamed the "Android and iOS" page to "LibreOffice Viewer for
> Android".
> 3.    I have removed the Impress Remote download links from that page and
> changed the text to lead to the new page.
>
> I am looking forward for feedback. If this is positive, the changes could be
> published soon. Thank you.

Those changes sound good to me, and I agree that we should make our
mobile apps more prominent! Do you need any help implementing the
changes, or is it just a case of clicking "Publish" to go live?

Cheers,
Mike

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Jean Spiteri Jean Spiteri
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changes to the Download pages

Mike Saunders wrote
> Hi Jean,
>
> Apologies for not replying to this sooner...

No problem.


Mike Saunders wrote

> On 13/08/2018 15:35, Jean Spiteri wrote:
>>
>> My work can be divided in three tasks
>>
>> 1.    Created a new page named "LibreOffice Impress Remote" and put it as
>> a
>> child of the Download. Thus, it can be seen in the Download menu as well.
>> 2.    I have renamed the "Android and iOS" page to "LibreOffice Viewer
>> for
>> Android".
>> 3.    I have removed the Impress Remote download links from that page and
>> changed the text to lead to the new page.
>>
>> I am looking forward for feedback. If this is positive, the changes could
>> be
>> published soon. Thank you.
>
> Those changes sound good to me, and I agree that we should make our
> mobile apps more prominent! Do you need any help implementing the
> changes, or is it just a case of clicking "Publish" to go live?

No, they required only clicking "Publish" to do so I did that. After doing
that, I re-read the text and carried out some changes. It would be nice if
you could read the new pages to make sure grammar is correct (as far as I
know it is but you know grammar more, probably).

I have also changed the download link in the 'LibreOffice Viewer for
Android' page to point users intending to download the plain apk to v14/15
(it was leading to v8/9 which will likely be less developed than the
latest). If someone could download the apk and confirm that the links works
well, it would be very nice.

I have also set the primary "Download LibreOffice Viewer for Android" button
to take the whole of the "page" (excluding the sidebar) and adjusted the
button text to align to the button's center.

Finally, I have changed the video iframe to take up 90% of the "page" width
while keeping it to the same height as it was. It still aligns itself to the
center of the page.

I have published the changes I did as soon as I finished them. Of course,
those who access to the CMS can use the History tab to see them in more
detail. Again, all feedback is welcome.



--
Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Website-f1644957.html

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changes to the Download pages

Hi Jean,

On 22/08/2018 18:38, Jean Spiteri wrote:
>
> No, they required only clicking "Publish" to do so I did that.

Looks great, thanks!

> I have also set the primary "Download LibreOffice Viewer for Android" button
> to take the whole of the "page" (excluding the sidebar) and adjusted the
> button text to align to the button's center.

Yes, good idea.

> Finally, I have changed the video iframe to take up 90% of the "page" width
> while keeping it to the same height as it was. It still aligns itself to the
> center of the page.

I think this looks fine when the video isn't active, but when you click
play, suddenly the large black borders on the left and right appear.
Maybe make it a little bit taller to shrink the borders?

Cheers,
Mike

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Jean Spiteri Jean Spiteri
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changes to the Download pages

I have enlarged the height to 370px. It should work well for most devices I
think. If you think there's anything else to change (or you don't like the
new height), feel free to comment.



--
Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Website-f1644957.html

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Daniel A. Rodriguez Daniel A. Rodriguez
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changes to the Download pages

t the bottom of 'LibreOffice Viewer for Android' still appears the
section 'Impress Remote for Android and iOS', should not be deleted?
El jue., 23 ago. 2018 a las 9:46, Jean Spiteri
(<[hidden email]>) escribió:

>
> I have enlarged the height to 370px. It should work well for most devices I
> think. If you think there's anything else to change (or you don't like the
> new height), feel free to comment.
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Website-f1644957.html
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
> Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Jean Spiteri Jean Spiteri
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changes to the Download pages

Daniel A. Rodriguez wrote
> t the bottom of 'LibreOffice Viewer for Android' still appears the
> section 'Impress Remote for Android and iOS', should not be deleted?

I thought about removing it but I only just reduced the text but left a
reference so that one can still find it. If most think it's useless, it can
be removed but I think a bit of cross-promotion would not be bad, unless the
Viewer application totally replaces the remote one (does it?).



--
Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Website-f1644957.html

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy