Changing the case of first letter of every paragraph

Keith Bates Keith Bates

Changing the case of first letter of every paragraph

I have been using the voice typing feature in Google Chrome to write
some documents, then download them in .odt format for editing.

I find that it consistently starts a new paragraph with a lower case
first letter. So I need to find the first letter of every paragraph in
the document and convert it to upper case.

I thought of using Find and Replace with Regular Expressions, which is
easy. ^[:lower:] finds every lower case letter which is the first letter
of a paragraph. But when I enter [:upper:] in the replace box it simply
pastes the text [:upper:] . I have both the "match case" and "regular
expressions" boxes ticked.

Is there a way to do this other than going through the document ad
replacing manually?

Thank you

Keith

Keith Bates Keith Bates

Re: Changing the case of first letter of every paragraph

To answer my own question:

1. Use the Find and Replace box and Reg. Exp.. Click on "Find All".

2. Close "Find and Replace" dialog.

3. Right click on one of the highlighted letters. Format- Text- Upper case

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 20:00 05/03/2020 +1100, Keith Bates wrote:
>To answer my own question:
>1. Use the Find and Replace box and Reg. Exp.. Click on "Find All".
>2. Close "Find and Replace" dialog.
>3. Right click on one of the highlighted letters. Format- Text- Upper case

Does this also work?
o Find: ^. (caret-dot)
o Replace: & (ampersand)
o Tick "Regular expressions". (No need for "Match case".)
o With the cursor in the Replace box, click Format... .
o On the Font Effects tab, for Effects select Capitals.
o Replace All.
o Voilà!

Brian Barker

Philip Jackson-2 Philip Jackson-2

On 05/03/2020 10:52, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 18:28 05/03/2020 +1100, Keith Bates wrote:
>> I have been using the voice typing feature in Google Chrome to write some documents, then download them in .odt format for editing.
>>
>> I find that it consistently starts a new paragraph with a lower case first letter. So I need to find the first letter of every paragraph in the document and convert it to upper case.
>>
> Does this also work?
> o Find: ^. (caret-dot)
> o Replace: & (ampersand)
> o Tick "Regular expressions". (No need for "Match case".)
> o With the cursor in the Replace box, click Format... .
> o On the Font Effects tab, for Effects select Capitals.
> o Replace All.
> o Voilà!
>
> Brian Barker

Elegant solution, Brian.

Philip

John Kaufmann John Kaufmann

On 2020-03-05 04:00, Keith Bates wrote:
> To answer my own question:
>
> 1. Use the Find and Replace box and Reg. Exp.. Click on "Find All".
> 2. Close "Find and Replace" dialog.
> 3. Right click on one of the highlighted letters. Format- Text- Upper case

Keith, I like your solution (and Brian's, which is as elegant as the way he presented it), but am confused about step 3: do you /really/ right-click (for context menu)? From step 1, you already have the first letter of each paragraph in focus; don't you just go from there to the main menu <Format-Text-UPPERCASE>? [The order of steps 2 and 3 has no effect - or, to put it another way, step 2 is not essential to your solution.]

John

Keith Bates Keith Bates

Re: Changing the case of first letter of every paragraph

Thanks, John. You are right. I always have to complicate things!

On 6/3/20 4:33 am, John Kaufmann wrote:

>> On 5/3/20 6:28 pm, Keith Bates wrote:
>>> I have been using the voice typing feature in Google Chrome to write
>>> some documents, then download them in .odt format for editing.
>>>
>>> I find that it consistently starts a new paragraph with a lower case
>>> first letter. So I need to find the first letter of every paragraph
>>> in the document and convert it to upper case.
>>>
>>> I thought of using Find and Replace with Regular Expressions, which
>>> is easy. ^[:lower:] finds every lower case letter which is the first
>>> letter of a paragraph. But when I enter [:upper:] in the replace box
>>> it simply pastes the text [:upper:] . I have both the "match case"
>>> and "regular expressions" boxes ticked.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to do this other than going through the document ad
>>> replacing manually?
>>>
> On 2020-03-05 04:00, Keith Bates wrote:
>> To answer my own question:
>>
>> 1. Use the Find and Replace box and Reg. Exp.. Click on "Find All".
>> 2. Close "Find and Replace" dialog.
>> 3. Right click on one of the highlighted letters. Format- Text- Upper
>> case
>
> Keith, I like your solution (and Brian's, which is as elegant as the
> way he presented it), but am confused about step 3: do you /really/
> right-click (for context menu)? From step 1, you already have the
> first letter of each paragraph in focus; don't you just go from there
> to the main menu <Format-Text-UPPERCASE>? [The order of steps 2 and 3
> has no effect - or, to put it another way, step 2 is not essential to
> your solution.]
>
> John

Keith Bates Keith Bates

Re: Changing the case of first letter of every paragraph

Thanks, Brian. That is very good.

--
*Keith Bates**

**Senior Pastor

*p: 02 67924890

s: 4 Mooloobar St
     Narrabri, NSW 2390
w3w: checklist.windsurf.partly

e: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

w: www.new-life.org.au <http://www.new-life.org.au>

*
*