Chart Colors

yphilips yphilips

Chart Colors

Hi All,

We were discussing the issue of the current chart colors no longer being
part of our new default palettes (tdf#106534) in the telegram group and
kendy suggested we

1. have a separate chart palette
2. update our current colors by reaching out to the community for
contributions (e.g. from graphics designers)

I think both ideas are good, as with a separate chart palette we could
include the old palette, a new default palette, as well as we multiple
separate chart palettes from various sources, which users could easily pick
from and hopefully we could use in the future when palette presets are
added to the chart wizard dialog.

So i've created a google drive folder for submissions[1] and interested
submitters can use this calc file[2] as the basis of their submissions by
colorizing the existing chart. I've already submitted two versions of a
possible libreoffice palette-based chart palette and andreas will be
submitting a breeze palette-based chart palette. The folder also has images
of the default chart palettes used in Excel and Quattro Pro.

[1]
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6qJrVIa0SAlcm1PdFVnWVd3Rms?usp=sharing
[2]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6qJrVIa0SAldEhGa0VGRVJETTA/view?usp=sharing

Interested individuals can email me their submissions and i'll add it to
the folder for a first round of suggestions and hopefully we can then reach
out to the wider community for more suggestions.

Yousuf Philips

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Re: Chart Colors

Just for completeness, I'm opposed to the idea of a separate palette, at least as a quick and simple solution. We changed the color palettes recently to clean up the various unorganized collections from the past. Users should pick the color in 90% from a standard set and select in rare cases other palettes. For example, when creating a document for the web it would be the html palette. Having a standard palette for the daily work in parallel with a chart palette requires to switch often between them. Of course it would be nice to switch the appearance of a chart by just selecting another palette. But that requires a lot of code changes as the chart colors are hard-coded. The only advantage of the chart palette today is that users can find the color directly (after switching to it). My approach was to change the hard-coded colors a bit, similar to tdf#107731, so that we have it in the standard palette (https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/37819/). It is also suggestion #2 in the Bugzilla ticket.

Cheers,
Heiko

On 22.05.2017 00:16, Jay Philips wrote:
> We were discussing the issue of the current chart colors no longer being
> part of our new default palettes (tdf#106534) in the telegram group and
> kendy suggested we
>
> 1. have a separate chart palette
> 2. update our current colors by reaching out to the community for
> contributions (e.g. from graphics designers)

Toki Toki

Re: Chart Colors

On 05/28/2017 11:01 AM, Heiko Tietze wrote:

>as the chart colors are hard-coded.

Going by
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/officecfg/registry/schema/org/openoffice/Office/Chart.xcs#30
it looks that users don't have the ability to change them.
if so, that is unacceptable.

In some industries, there are standard colour schemes for charts, and
changing them will result in "bad interpretations".

Corporate branding requirements include taboo colours. Colours that may
not be used under any circumstances.

By way of example, one of the universities in the United States
prohibits black to be used in any content produced and distributed by
it. This prohibitions extends to the student newspaper, academic thesis
presented as part of the requirements of a degree, college advertising
(^1), and presentations given by students, staff, faculty, and others,
at conferences, conventions, and the like, if the name of the University
is included as part of the identifier on the presenter. The official
university colour palette has a shade named "dark text", which is to be
used as a replacement for black.

A different university has the colour "light text" in its official
branding palette, to be used instead of white.

Somebody else can go into the cultural, ethnic, and national taboos
regarding colour.

>The only advantage of the chart palette today is that users can find the color directly (after switching to it).

With a user selectible palette, the user can have a 12 colour palette
just for use with charts. One that works with the corporate branding
palette of 4 colours.

To me, it seems simpler to use the same mechanism for selecting chart
colours, as for the other places where users have that option.

^1: Even though the exclusive use of four-colour advertising wrecks
havoc on the budget, doing so drives home the point that the official
branding palette is used everywhere a message is presented for, by, or
on behalf of the university.

jonathon