Compatibility with markdown

H H

Compatibility with markdown

I have been running LibreOffice under CentOS 7 for several years and am a satisfied user. I would, however, very much like to have the ability to both import and export documents in the markdown-format, preferable the CommonMark flavor which also handles tables.

When composing complex and/or long documents, I always use markdown formatting in a text editor since that allows me to focus on the content, not the layout which I don't touch until the document is nearly finished.

Having the ability to import a markdown document into LO  where LO uses the markdown formatting would be very valuable, as would the ability to export a LO document to markdown. Most of the LO formatting would of course be lost but that would not be the primary consideration in that scenario.

Are there any such plans?

Tony Arnold Tony Arnold

Re: Compatibility with markdown

On Sun, 2020-06-14 at 14:18 -0400, H wrote:
> I have been running LibreOffice under CentOS 7 for several years and
> am a satisfied user. I would, however, very much like to have the
> ability to both import and export documents in the markdown-format,
> preferable the CommonMark flavor which also handles tables.
>
> When composing complex and/or long documents, I always use markdown
> formatting in a text editor since that allows me to focus on the
> content, not the layout which I don't touch until the document is
> nearly finished.

I don't know about any plans for LO to support markdown, but there is a
MD editor called retext that will export to ODT files. Not sure if it
does everything you need, but may be worth checking out.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039

H H

On 06/14/2020 03:48 PM, Tony Arnold wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-06-14 at 14:18 -0400, H wrote:
>> I have been running LibreOffice under CentOS 7 for several years and
>> am a satisfied user. I would, however, very much like to have the
>> ability to both import and export documents in the markdown-format,
>> preferable the CommonMark flavor which also handles tables.
>>
>> When composing complex and/or long documents, I always use markdown
>> formatting in a text editor since that allows me to focus on the
>> content, not the layout which I don't touch until the document is
>> nearly finished.
> I don't know about any plans for LO to support markdown, but there is a
> MD editor called retext that will export to ODT files. Not sure if it
> does everything you need, but may be worth checking out.
>
> Regards,
> Tony.

As I said, I already have an editor. My wish is to be able to import and export markdown files in LO.

By the way, please do not send replies to my private e-mail, I am a list member and do not need two copies. Thank you.

toki toki

On 2020/06/14 18:18, H wrote:
> I have been running LibreOffice under CentOS 7 for several years and am a satisfied user. I would, however, very much like to have the ability to both import and export documents in the markdown-format, preferable the CommonMark flavor which also handles tables.
> Are there any such plans?
Somewhere on GitHub is a project that converts MarkDown to/from ODT. I
did ask the developer if they would be willing to modify it, so that it
could be used as a LibO extension. They declined, on the grounds that
that feature would be outside the scope of their project.

There used to be an extension that validated Markdown, when creating
documents using that presentation markup language. It did _not_ convert
MarkDown to/from ODT.  I say used to be, because it calls something
within LibO that appears to no longer exists.

jonathon

H H

On June 15, 2020 6:03:02 PM EDT, [hidden email] wrote:

>On 2020/06/14 18:18, H wrote:
>> I have been running LibreOffice under CentOS 7 for several years and
>am a satisfied user. I would, however, very much like to have the
>ability to both import and export documents in the markdown-format,
>preferable the CommonMark flavor which also handles tables.
>> Are there any such plans?
>Somewhere on GitHub is a project that converts MarkDown to/from ODT. I
>did ask the developer if they would be willing to modify it, so that it
>could be used as a LibO extension. They declined, on the grounds that
>that feature would be outside the scope of their project.
>
>There used to be an extension that validated Markdown, when creating
>documents using that presentation markup language. It did _not_ convert
>MarkDown to/from ODT.  I say used to be, because it calls something
>within LibO that appears to no longer exists.
>
>jonathon
>
>--

Thank you for investigating, I wish their answer would have been different, of course...

Were you thinking of https://github.com/abcBHM/MD2odt or perhaps of https://github.com/DjebbZ/markdown-to-odt? The latter seems to be one-way only though. Neither project has been updated for a while and it seems as if they can both be forked?

toki toki

On 2020/06/16 00:31, H wrote:
> Were you thinking of https://github.com/abcBHM/MD2odt or perhaps of https://github.com/DjebbZ/markdown-to-odt? The latter seems to be one-way only though. Neither project has been updated for a while and it seems as if they can both be forked?

Neither of them look right.

jonathon