Constraining LibreOffice as called in LibreOfficeKit to improve stability

Sander Maijers Sander Maijers

Constraining LibreOffice as called in LibreOfficeKit to improve stability

I’m running LibreOffice 6 through LibreOfficeKit calls (saveAs), and I’m interested in stabilizing and isolating LibreOffice during calls into it. My only purpose is document conversion. How can I minimize:

- the amount of user profile IO

- interactions with other processes

- network endpoints and the filesystem in general

- internal features that can cause instability (threading and locks) or are superfluous (e.g. scripting, rendering, etc.)?

There’s a list of environment variables at https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Environment_variables

A good deal of them seem to be useful to constrain LibreOffice’s behavior. I would be interested in your advice: which of these would be most useful for me? Do you have other suggestions? I hope to be able to document useful environment variables on the Wiki in the process.

Riccardo Magliocchetti Riccardo Magliocchetti

Re: Constraining LibreOffice as called in LibreOfficeKit to improve stability

Il 21/02/2018 13:55, Sander Maijers ha scritto:

> I’m running LibreOffice 6 through LibreOfficeKit calls (saveAs), and I’m
> interested in stabilizing and isolating LibreOffice during calls into it. My
> only purpose is document conversion. How can I minimize:
>
> - the amount of user profile IO
>
> - interactions with other processes
>
> - network endpoints and the filesystem in general
>
> - internal features that can cause instability (threading and locks) or are
> superfluous (e.g. scripting, rendering, etc.)?
>
> There’s a list of environment variables at
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Environment_variables
>
> A good deal of them seem to be useful to constrain LibreOffice’s behavior. I
> would be interested in your advice: which of these would be most useful for me?
> Do you have other suggestions? I hope to be able to document useful environment
> variables on the Wiki in the process.
> <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Environment_variables>

I'd take a look at what libreoffice online is doing:
https://github.com/LibreOffice/online/

There may be hints in the docker directory.

--
Riccardo Magliocchetti
@rmistaken

http://menodizero.it
jan iversen-5 jan iversen-5

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 at 13:55, Sander Maijers <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m running LibreOffice 6 through LibreOfficeKit calls (saveAs), and I’m interested in stabilizing and isolating LibreOffice during calls into it. My only purpose is document conversion. How can I minimize:

If you look on how LibreOfficeLight is generated (directory ios), you will see that it limits LibreOffice quite a lot, by removing libraries.

Rgds
Jan I.