Contributors' names in LibO 3.3: how to ask for a correction?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Gianluca Turconi-4 Gianluca Turconi-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Contributors' names in LibO 3.3: how to ask for a correction?

I post here because I've just read a message about credits in LibO 3.3 and  
so I've checked them in order to confirm that bug, but if there's a better  
place where we can discuss this other issue, please point me to it.

Here are the facts: in the credits it's written

luctur
Commits: 5
Joined 2003-11-05

That "luctur" was my userid when commiting "code" in the OOo project. I  
don't know why there is my username and not my full name there, however  
this is not the main problem. In fact, I' haven't found among the  
contributors the name of Davide Prina, co-author of the Italian  
spellchecker dictionary.

Since I have originally contributed it to the OOo code base under my own  
liability but, of course, with Davide's authorization, by contributing it  
by mean of my signed Joint Copyright Agreement, I think Davide's name  
should be added to the list of credits too.

Furthermore, I've checked the THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html file and there,  
there is Davide's name and not mine as copyright owner... :)

It's a rather awkward situation, I think, and both credits and third party  
license lists should be checked and somehow synchronized.

TIA for any comments and hints about this issue.

Regards,

Gianluca
--
Tempesta e Passione sbarcano su Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Sturm-Drang-Gianluca-Turconi/dp/B002ACTPSE/ref=sr_1_79?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243410943&sr=1-79
Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza, fantasy,  
horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale:  
http://www.letturefantastiche.com/

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
Archive: http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

cbosdonnat cbosdonnat
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Contributors' names in LibO 3.3: how to ask for a correction?

Hello Gianluca,

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 15:41 +0100, Gianluca Turconi wrote:

> I post here because I've just read a message about credits in LibO 3.3 and  
> so I've checked them in order to confirm that bug, but if there's a better  
> place where we can discuss this other issue, please point me to it.
>
> Here are the facts: in the credits it's written
>
> luctur
> Commits: 5
> Joined 2003-11-05
>
> That "luctur" was my userid when commiting "code" in the OOo project. I  
> don't know why there is my username and not my full name there, however  
> this is not the main problem.

In fact these are extracted from the git logs... You need to make sure
you commit new code with a correct full name and email address. After
that we could setup an alias to merge all luctur commits to the ones of
your name. Ping spaetz for that on IRC.

> In fact, I' haven't found among the  
> contributors the name of Davide Prina, co-author of the Italian  
> spellchecker dictionary.

If he committed the changes as patches and the dictionary is in git
repos, then he should appear... otherwise I don't think there is any way
to change that other than adding entries manually.

Regards,

--
C├ędric Bosdonnat
LibreOffice hacker
http://documentfoundation.org
OOo Eclipse Integration developer
http://cedric.bosdonnat.free.fr


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
Archive: http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Andrea Pescetti Andrea Pescetti
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Contributors' names in LibO 3.3: how to ask for a correction?

In reply to this post by Gianluca Turconi-4
On 25/01/2011 Gianluca Turconi wrote:
> I post here because I've just read a message about credits in LibO 3.3 and  
> so I've checked them ... I' haven't found among the  
> contributors the name of Davide Prina, co-author of the Italian  
> spellchecker dictionary. ...
> Furthermore, I've checked the THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html file and there,  
> there is Davide's name and not mine as copyright owner... :)

Both OpenOffice.org 3.3 and Libreoffice 3.3 ship the same extension for
the Italian dictionary, and will install two files named
README_it_IT.txt and README_th_it_IT.txt containing proper credits and
copyright and licensing information. These files are more reliable and
up-to-date than other sources.

Regards,
  Andrea.


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
Archive: http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Michael Meeks Michael Meeks
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Contributors' names in LibO 3.3: how to ask for a correction?

In reply to this post by cbosdonnat
Hi guys,

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 09:59 +0100, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 15:41 +0100, Gianluca Turconi wrote:
> > I post here because I've just read a message about credits in LibO 3.3 and  
> > so I've checked them in order to confirm that bug, but if there's a better  
> > place where we can discuss this other issue, please point me to it.
> ....
> > That "luctur" was my userid when commiting "code" in the OOo project. I  
> > don't know why there is my username and not my full name there, however  
> > this is not the main problem.
..
> In fact these are extracted from the git logs... You need to make sure
> you commit new code with a correct full name and email address.

        Right; but of course, perhaps we can fix this for the past by adding
some exceptions: any chance we can add 'Gianluca Turconi' as a
replacement for 'luctur' in your script ?

> > In fact, I' haven't found among the contributors the name of
> > Davide Prina, co-author of the Italian spellchecker dictionary.

        I guess we need to think about this too - perhaps we need an addendum
list of people who have contributed things, but for whom the git log is
inaccurate / incomplete / fragmentary :-)

        Looking at the (pretty) web page, it might be helpful too to have an
affiliation tag for old (non-Sun/Oracle) contributors on the page too.
Oh, and a mail link at the bottom for corrections (the dev list
perhaps?).

        Thanks !

                Michael.

--
 [hidden email]  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot



--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
Archive: http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
spaetz spaetz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Contributors' names in LibO 3.3: how to ask for a correction?

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:53:35 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > In fact these are extracted from the git logs... You need to make sure
> > you commit new code with a correct full name and email address.
>
> Right; but of course, perhaps we can fix this for the past by adding
> some exceptions: any chance we can add 'Gianluca Turconi' as a
> replacement for 'luctur' in your script ?

There is an "alias" file at
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~cbosdo/gitdm-lo-config/tree/aliases
 which can be used to merge several email addresses.

My attribution script also extracts all "real names" from the git logs
and prefers a 2-word name over a 1-word name. So if you commit as
"luctur <[hidden email]>" and as "Gianluca Turconi <[hidden email]>" the next
time, the full name will be shown. The disadvantage is that "Wol" will
now always be credited as "Wols Lists" :-).

I hope that makes things clear.

> > > In fact, I' haven't found among the contributors the name of
> > > Davide Prina, co-author of the Italian spellchecker dictionary.
>
> I guess we need to think about this too - perhaps we need an addendum
> list of people who have contributed things, but for whom the git log is
> inaccurate / incomplete / fragmentary :-)

Of course, we can only look at the "author" or "committer" names for the
commits. And if those are wrong/missing...
 
> Looking at the (pretty) web page, it might be helpful too to have an
> affiliation tag for old (non-Sun/Oracle) contributors on the page too.

I did not include affiliation tags on purpose, as I did not want to be
too invasive concerning privacy. The Oracle guys already complained that
their name shows up on a Libreoffice web site (ask thorsten), and I did
not want to go too far to make people complain (even if it is based on
public information anyway). But if the SC says they are fine with
affiliations, I can easily add those affiliations that we have identified.

> Oh, and a mail link at the bottom for corrections (the dev list
> perhaps?).

I'll add something to have people mail me directly, I only skim the dev
list these days. That having said, there is still no update mechanism in
place as I still don't have access to that CMS. :-(

Sebastian

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
Archive: http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***