Convert .wps into Ms Word format

charles meyer charles meyer

Convert .wps into Ms Word format

HI all,

I was sent a .wps file (about 3-5 pages). It's from a trustworthy person
who has really old software and not computer savvy.

I've read a plethora of Google results and none have worked to convert that
file format into readable format. Word pad came the closes but still a lot
of unrecognized characters.

I've read Zamar online is not to be trusted.

Has anyone used Libre Writer or Draw or any downloadable free program to
convert .wps files?

Thank you,

Charles.

John-11 John-11

Re: Convert .wps into Ms Word format

On Sat, 2019-07-13 at 15:29 -0400, charles meyer wrote:

> HI all,
>
> I was sent a .wps file (about 3-5 pages). It's from a trustworthy person
> who has really old software and not computer savvy.
>
> I've read a plethora of Google results and none have worked to convert that
> file format into readable format. Word pad came the closes but still a lot
> of unrecognized characters.
>
> I've read Zamar online is not to be trusted.
>
> Has anyone used Libre Writer or Draw or any downloadable free program to
> convert .wps files?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Charles.

-----------------
I know nothing about Microsoft Works (the usual source of .wps files) but the
following reference seems to indicate that MS Word in it's newer incarnations
can open this file type.  Note the caveat that the .wps file format was changed
at one point and Word needs a special plugin to pen it.

Hope that helps.

https://www.lifewire.com/wps-file-2622400

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

charles meyer schrieb am 13-Jul-19 um 21:29:
> HI all,
>
> I was sent a .wps file (about 3-5 pages). It's from a trustworthy person
> who has really old software and not computer savvy.

It is a Microsoft Works Document or a Kingsoft Writer Document?

> I've read a plethora of Google results and none have worked to convert that
> file format into readable format. Word pad came the closes but still a lot
> of unrecognized characters.
>
> I've read Zamar online is not to be trusted.
>
> Has anyone used Libre Writer or Draw or any downloadable free program to
> convert .wps files?

Why not simple try it? You need not install LibreOffice, but can use a
portable version.

Why do you want MS Word format? If someone, who has only MS Office and
wants MS Word format, and the file is indeed a Microsoft Works Document,
then "Microsoft Works 6–9 File Converter" might be an option too.

Kind regards
Regina

Dennis Roczek Dennis Roczek

Re: Convert .wps into Ms Word format

> In Microsoft Word 2003 or newer, just choose the "Works" file type from the
Open dialog box.
> You can then navigate to the folder containing the WPS file you want to
> open.
Which was removed in MS Office 2007... so basically no: if you / your friend
does not also have a decade old software then you will have to use
LibreOffice. If it is not a Microsoft Works file, then we have a completely
different situation...

Best regards,

Dennis Roczek

mhenriday mhenriday

Den lör 13 juli 2019 kl 21:31 skrev charles meyer <[hidden email]>:

> HI all,
>
> I was sent a .wps file (about 3-5 pages). It's from a trustworthy person
> who has really old software and not computer savvy.
>
> I've read a plethora of Google results and none have worked to convert that
> file format into readable format. Word pad came the closes but still a lot
> of unrecognized characters.
>
> I've read Zamar online is not to be trusted.
>
> Has anyone used Libre Writer or Draw or any downloadable free program to
> convert .wps files?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Charles.

Hullo Charles,

I had occasion to test opening and reading .wps files in LibreOffice on a
single occasion several years ago, when one of our pensioners needed to
read some ancient documents. Worked like a charm....

Henri