Converting MS Office templates to Libre Office

Gordon Burgess-Parker Gordon Burgess-Parker

Converting MS Office templates to Libre Office

Is there a way of converting MS Office templates (some .dot and some
.dotx) easily and quickly into Libre Office templates?

Thanks!

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Converting MS Office templates to Libre Office

I tend to open them in LO and then save then to LO's template file
format.  It has worked in the past, but I have not done that since 4-6
months ago.  LO has changed since then.  I also did it with OOo 3.x
before.  The .dotx did not work will with OOo, but .dot did last year.
So I see no reason for LO not to be able to do it now.

An external, batch system?  I do not know of a way.  Batch conversion
systems may not be the best way, if there is one.  I used one for
converting graphic files to a different format, since my open-source
package did not support the original clipart image files.  About half of
the files gave me errors in the batch process, when it gave me no
problems opening it in a different graphics package [not open source]
and the saving it in a format that my open source package could use.
SO, I do not have any good luck with batch conversion packages.

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

Re: Converting MS Office templates to Libre Office

On 11/30/2011 10:04 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> Is there a way of converting MS Office templates (some .dot and some
> .dotx) easily and quickly into Libre Office templates?
>
> Thanks!

How many templates are you doing? I do not know of a batch method for
converting a large number.

--
Jay Lozier

On 30/11/2011 17:18, Jay Lozier wrote:
> On 11/30/2011 10:04 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>> Is there a way of converting MS Office templates (some .dot and some
>> .dotx) easily and quickly into Libre Office templates?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
> How many templates are you doing? I do not know of a batch method for
> converting a large number.

Not a great deal actually, so I think the best way is to open them
individually to check they are OK and then save as an OTT file, as it
seems that there may be some issues with doing it programatically.

Thanks for the responses everyone...

Jack Jack

Jay Lozier wrote:
> How many templates are you doing? I do not know of a batch method for
> converting a large number.

I believe the command line could be used for this purpose.  Something like:
soffice -headless -convert-to ott MyTemplateFile.dotx

It should not be too much trouble to modify this to perform a batch
operation.  But it seems this is not an issue for the originator as
there aren't many templates to convert.

Regards
Stephan