Copying data from Calc to Base...

zed zed

Copying data from Calc to Base...

Using LibreOffice Base v6..4.2.2 on Linux Mint v20.0 Mate
I am trying to copy and paste a LibreOffice Calc file from that program
to Base.  Here is what I have done so far.

Calc - created spreadsheet
A = ID (Default format)
B = Name (Default format)
C = Location (Default format)
D = Date - First (Format as DD MMM YYYY)
E = Date - Last (Format as DD MMM YYYY)

Base:
Created a database named Reactors and created fields:
ID Interger [INTEGER]
Name   Text [VARCHAR]
Location Text [VARCHAR]
Gender Text [VARCHAR]
No. Number [NUMERIC]
Date - First Date [DATE]
Date - Last Date [DATE]

Opened spreadsheet and highlighted columns  (as listed above)
(as a test I chose only Rows 1-6)

Chose Copy and navigated to Database and clicked to Paste

 From Menu presented, chose Append data (the default option)
clicked Next and unticked ID
clicked Create and following error message was displayed

Warning.  Wrong data type:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException.

Searched both Internet (in general) and LibreOffice website (in
particular) but found nothing to help.

Obviously I am doing something wrong but I am unable to find the
error.All help will be very welcome.

Zed

Alan Boba Alan Boba

Re: Copying data from Calc to Base...

Hello Zed,

I haven't used 6.4 much yet except with already existing databases. With
6.0 (on Ubuntu) it was required that there be an auto incrementing index
field or the import would fail with messages like you describe.

If your ID field is not set to auto increment modify the field property so
it auto increments then try the import again.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 11:35 PM zed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using LibreOffice Base v6..4.2.2 on Linux Mint v20.0 Mate
> I am trying to copy and paste a LibreOffice Calc file from that program
> to Base.  Here is what I have done so far.
>
> Calc - created spreadsheet
> A = ID (Default format)
> B = Name (Default format)
> C = Location (Default format)
> D = Date - First (Format as DD MMM YYYY)
> E = Date - Last (Format as DD MMM YYYY)
>
> Base:
> Created a database named Reactors and created fields:
> ID Interger [INTEGER]
> Name   Text [VARCHAR]
> Location Text [VARCHAR]
> Gender Text [VARCHAR]
> No. Number [NUMERIC]
> Date - First Date [DATE]
> Date - Last Date [DATE]
>
> Opened spreadsheet and highlighted columns  (as listed above)
> (as a test I chose only Rows 1-6)
>
> Chose Copy and navigated to Database and clicked to Paste
>
>  From Menu presented, chose Append data (the default option)
> clicked Next and unticked ID
> clicked Create and following error message was displayed
>
> Warning.  Wrong data type:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException.
>
> Searched both Internet (in general) and LibreOffice website (in
> particular) but found nothing to help.
>
> Obviously I am doing something wrong but I am unable to find the
> error.All help will be very welcome.
>
> Zed

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Gabriele Ponzo Gabriele Ponzo

Re: Copying data from Calc to Base...

But in that case, I think it won't let you fill (or paste) ID field anymore.

I'm not sure, just memory recall, hope to be wrong.

Il gio 23 lug 2020, 05:59 Alan B <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hello Zed,
>
> I haven't used 6.4 much yet except with already existing databases. With
> 6.0 (on Ubuntu) it was required that there be an auto incrementing index
> field or the import would fail with messages like you describe.
>
> If your ID field is not set to auto increment modify the field property so
> it auto increments then try the import again.
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 11:35 PM zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Using LibreOffice Base v6..4.2.2 on Linux Mint v20.0 Mate
> > I am trying to copy and paste a LibreOffice Calc file from that program
> > to Base.  Here is what I have done so far.
> >
> > Calc - created spreadsheet
> > A = ID (Default format)
> > B = Name (Default format)
> > C = Location (Default format)
> > D = Date - First (Format as DD MMM YYYY)
> > E = Date - Last (Format as DD MMM YYYY)
> >
> > Base:
> > Created a database named Reactors and created fields:
> > ID Interger [INTEGER]
> > Name   Text [VARCHAR]
> > Location Text [VARCHAR]
> > Gender Text [VARCHAR]
> > No. Number [NUMERIC]
> > Date - First Date [DATE]
> > Date - Last Date [DATE]
> >
> > Opened spreadsheet and highlighted columns  (as listed above)
> > (as a test I chose only Rows 1-6)
> >
> > Chose Copy and navigated to Database and clicked to Paste
> >
> >  From Menu presented, chose Append data (the default option)
> > clicked Next and unticked ID
> > clicked Create and following error message was displayed
> >
> > Warning.  Wrong data type:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException.
> >
> > Searched both Internet (in general) and LibreOffice website (in
> > particular) but found nothing to help.
> >
> > Obviously I am doing something wrong but I am unable to find the
> > error.All help will be very welcome.
> >
> > Zed
> >

> > --

> Alan Boba
> CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Re: Copying data from Calc to Base...

Zed,

Le 23/07/2020 à 05:33, zed a écrit :

> Using LibreOffice Base v6..4.2.2 on Linux Mint v20.0 Mate
> I am trying to copy and paste a LibreOffice Calc file from that program
> to Base.  Here is what I have done so far.
>
> Calc - created spreadsheet
> A = ID (Default format)
> B = Name (Default format)
> C = Location (Default format)
> D = Date - First (Format as DD MMM YYYY)
> E = Date - Last (Format as DD MMM YYYY)
>
> Base:
> Created a database named Reactors and created fields:
> ID Interger [INTEGER]

As you didn't specify it, and just in case : the ID column (or any
column you wish since its contents is unique to the table) must be set
as the Primary Key.

Best,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Copying data from Calc to Base...

Hi Zed,

> Warning.  Wrong data type:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException.

This only says: You will input, for example, a text in a field for dates.
Are there field-descriptions in the first row you wanted to import? Then
you have to chose "First row with fieldnames".

I see the fields in the Calc-sheet. There are 5 fields. You created a
database table with 7 fields. Did you chose the columns and sort the
columns in the second tab of the import dialog?

Regards

Robert
--
Homepage: https://www.familiegrosskopf.de/robert

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Copying data from Calc to Base...

Le 23/07/2020 à 05:33, zed a écrit :

We need to know which columns you are actually attempting to copy, and
whether or not you are including the first row of the Calc sheet.

What that error message tells you is that an attempt was made to copy a
value from a cell that doesn't correspond to the expected data type
defined in the Base table.

As we don't know, e.g. whether you're trying to paste a text date into a
DB date field, or some other such mismatch, it is a bit difficult to be
more precise.

Alex

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: Copying data from Calc to Base...

When in Calc, be sure the date fields are actually defined as DATE type
and YYYY-MM-DD format before copy/paste.

Hope this helps.