Cross Platfrom Support Question

Jay Ridgley Jay Ridgley

Cross Platfrom Support Question

Folks,

There are a group of us who need to use LibreOffice, however, we do not all use
the same type of hardware.

One of our members uses an iPad. When she tried to download 4.x from the website
she received a message that said:

"there were no regular installation files available and to make another selection"

She is running MAC OSX How should she proceed?

We can't afford to purchase new hardware, yet we need to be able to share the
information and to maintain it as well.

I am on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and am a happy camper.

Thanks,
Jay
--

Jay Ridgley
[hidden email]

snowshed snowshed

Re: Cross Platfrom Support Question

On 8/24/13 3:21 AM, Jay Ridgley wrote:

> Folks,
>
> There are a group of us who need to use LibreOffice, however, we do not all use
> the same type of hardware.
>
> One of our members uses an iPad. When she tried to download 4.x from the website
> she received a message that said:
>
> "there were no regular installation files available and to make another selection"
>
> She is running MAC OSX How should she proceed?
>
> We can't afford to purchase new hardware, yet we need to be able to share the
> information and to maintain it as well.
>
> I am on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and am a happy camper.
>
> Thanks,
> Jay

iPads do not use OS X, they use iOS, a different operating system for
mobile devices.  Does she have any other computer?

I know of no solution at the moment.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.4
Firefox 23.0
Thunderbird 17.0.8
LibreOffice 4.1.04

Tom Tom

Re: Cross Platfrom Support Question

Hi :)
Is there a different program that can edit ODFs on iPads and such?

I guess the obvious one is Google Docs which i think is now part of Google Drive.  Are there others?

Also is the reason there isn't an iOS version just down to needing someone to do a "build" or "make" or "compile", or whatever, or is there a technical reason why LO won't work on iOS yet?
Cley Faye Cley Faye

2013/8/24 Tom <[hidden email]>

> Hi :)
> Is there a different program that can edit ODFs on iPads and such?
>
> I guess the obvious one is Google Docs which i think is now part of Google
> Drive.  Are there others?
>
> Also is the reason there isn't an iOS version just down to needing someone
> to do a "build" or "make" or "compile", or whatever, or is there a
> technical
> reason why LO won't work on iOS yet?

​My 2cent:

The framework used on "regular" systems (like gtk) are completely different
than the one used on mobile devices, both iOS and Android. Although some
framework tries to reduce the gap (I'm thin​​king about Qt), last time I
checked LO sources it was not designed this way.

It's not a matter of "just" rebuilding, it would need a lot of work, first
redesigning the UI to work with mobile device (both having something
adapted to touch interface AND built using framework for mobile OS), and
moving the codebase (or rewriting from scratch) for objective C (the
language used for the iOS SDK).

Even funnier, an Android port would be easier to do if LO was still in Java
(insert laughters here :) )

tl;dr: having an iOS version of Libreoffice pretty much mean redoing
everything (in my opinion)

Of course, this doesn't answer the question of app available today for
editing ODF files on mobile devices in general... seeing that even google
drive (at least on Android) feels clunky, I would advise against doing real
work on tablets...

Tom Tom

Re: Cross Platfrom Support Question

Hi :)
Ahhh, that explains a lot.  I think there is some work-in-progress for an Android version but ii think it needs more devs working on it.  Not sure about an iOS version.  I was wondering if there was some quick work-around that might get a result more quickly but it's fairly clear there isn't.

I assume that mobile devices are too low spec to have much chance of running a "Virtual Machine" on even to install a VERY light-weight distro such as SliTaz (30 Mb) or Puppy or DSL or TinyCore or something?  I managed to get LibreOffice working in SliTaz on a full desktop machine but didn't try any of the others.

So we really need to find an ODF viewer for the iOS and hope that's enough?  With Google-docs being just for 'emergencies'.

________________________________
> Is there a different program that can edit ODFs on iPads and such?
>
> I guess the obvious one is Google Docs which i think is now part of Google
> Drive.  Are there others?
>
> Also is the reason there isn't an iOS version just down to needing someone
> to do a "build" or "make" or "compile", or whatever, or is there a
> technical
> reason why LO won't work on iOS yet?

​My 2cent:

The framework used on "regular" systems (like gtk) are completely different
than the one used on mobile devices, both iOS and Android. Although some
framework tries to reduce the gap (I'm thin​​king about Qt), last time I
checked LO sources it was not designed this way.

It's not a matter of "just" rebuilding, it would need a lot of work, first
redesigning the UI to work with mobile device (both having something
adapted to touch interface AND built using framework for mobile OS), and
moving the codebase (or rewriting from scratch) for objective C (the
language used for the iOS SDK).

Even funnier, an Android port would be easier to do if LO was still in Java
(insert laughters here :) )

tl;dr: having an iOS version of Libreoffice pretty much mean redoing
everything (in my opinion)

Of course, this doesn't answer the question of app available today for
editing ODF files on mobile devices in general... seeing that even google
drive (at least on Android) feels clunky, I would advise against doing real
work on tablets...

Jay Ridgley Jay Ridgley

Re: Cross Platfrom Support Question **CLOSED Thread**

To those who responded,

I guess the bottom line is that currently LibreOfffice does not and will not
without a LOT of work support mobile devices.

I am not a mobile user, so I have no frame of reference.  It does appear that
this feature (mobility) will be required at some future point, however.

Thanks,
Jay

doug-2 doug-2

On 08/24/2013 06:22 PM, Jay Ridgley wrote:

> To those who responded,
>
> I guess the bottom line is that currently LibreOfffice does not and will not
> without a LOT of work support mobile devices.
>
> I am not a mobile user, so I have no frame of reference.  It does appear that
> this feature (mobility) will be required at some future point, however.
>

> Thanks,
> Jay

What kind of masochist would wish to do any serious writing--the kind
that would require a word-processor--on a mobile phone, or a
touch-screen tablet?  Get real!

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley

snowshed snowshed

On 8/24/13 12:08 PM, Tom wrote:
> Is there a different program that can edit ODFs on iPads and such?

I don't own an iPad, but check these sites out...

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201205.mbox/%3C4FB06079.2060700@...%3E

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documents-unlimited-free-for/id633646265?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/open-word-processor-document/id523501455?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documents-free-mobile-office/id306273816?mt=8

forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61238

www.alwaysonpc.com/aboutOpenOffice.php

www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/36175-editing-open-office-writer-calc-files.html

appfinder.lisisoft.com/ipad-iphone-apps/openoffice-odt.html

https://www.rollapp.com/openoffice

I know nothing about any of these products.  May purchase an iPad-mini
in the future, but it's competing with the Google Nexus 7 at the moment.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.4
Firefox 23.0
Thunderbird 17.0.8
LibreOffice 4.1.04

Valter Mura Valter Mura

In data sabato 24 agosto 2013 21:40:14, Doug ha scritto:

> On 08/24/2013 06:22 PM, Jay Ridgley wrote:
> > To those who responded,
> >
> > I guess the bottom line is that currently LibreOfffice does not and will
> > not without a LOT of work support mobile devices.
> >
> > I am not a mobile user, so I have no frame of reference.  It does appear
> > that this feature (mobility) will be required at some future point,
> > however.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Jay
>
> What kind of masochist would wish to do any serious writing--the kind
> that would require a word-processor--on a mobile phone, or a
> touch-screen tablet?  Get real!

Well, maybe not in a phone, but a 10" tablet is suitable enough to work with
office stuff.

Maybe the important point is to re-think the way the commands have to be
available to the user, fine-tuned for touch screens: drag&drop, automatic
context menu and so on.

For example, a simply way could be a setup wizard (always available) to
customized the various context menus resulting by the context.

Ciao
--
Valter
Open Source is better!

Felmon Davis Felmon Davis

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013, Doug wrote:

> On 08/24/2013 06:22 PM, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>> To those who responded,
>>
>> I guess the bottom line is that currently LibreOfffice does not and will not
>> without a LOT of work support mobile devices.
>>
>> I am not a mobile user, so I have no frame of reference.  It does appear that
>> this feature (mobility) will be required at some future point, however.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Jay
>>
> What kind of masochist would wish to do any serious writing--the kind
> that would require a word-processor--on a mobile phone, or a
> touch-screen tablet?  Get real!
>
> --doug

you can add a small bluetooth keyboard.

some come in a kind of sleeve where you can fold the keyboard and the
10" tablet together held by velcro; you unfold it and the tablet is
propped up and the keyboard laid out flat. folded up, it all fits into
a woman's purse or a small satchel. the keyboard is pretty easy to use
for normal-sized hands and fingers.

opposite of masochism.

not my taste though - I prefer more power and gear - but perfectly
understandable setup for many use-cases.

F.

--
Felmon Davis

Better some of a pudding than none of a pie.  -- John Ray

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Cross Platfrom Support Question

Le 24/08/13 11:21, Jay Ridgley a écrit :

Hi Jay,

> "there were no regular installation files available and to make another
> selection"
>
> She is running MAC OSX How should she proceed?

There is currently no fully functional mobile version of LibreOffice
available for Android or iOS touchscreen devices. There are ports being
developed for both Android and iOS (iPad) to allow at least reading of
ODF documents, but these represent a significant amount of work and the
project is still quite a way off releasing something that will be
publicly acceptable.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GSoC/Ideas#Experimental_LibreOffice_app_for_iOS

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice_on_Android

In the meantime, if your colleague wants to just be able to read ODF
files on her iPad, she could try this :

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/ibm-lotus-symphony-viewer/id482597218?mt=8

Symphony also exists as an ODF reader app for Android.

The Symphony app also allows synching :

http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=46073

Alex

Tom Tom

Mobile devices?

I just had a glimpse of an Android and it looks like it's got a
 mini-Usb socket in the top.  If that could break-out to a powered
usb-hub then surely you could get keyboard, mice, maybe even screens working off the Android?

So 1 docking station at work and 1 at home might be enough to do emailing and more serious stuff there and still be able to keep an eye on things when travelling around or out?

Or is Android just not yet set-up to do this sort of thing?

> On 08/24/2013 06:22 PM, Jay Ridgley wrote:
>> To those who responded,
>>
>> I guess the bottom line is that currently LibreOfffice does not and will not
>> without a LOT of work support mobile devices.
>>
>> I am not a mobile user, so I have no frame of reference.  It does appear that
>> this feature (mobility) will be required at some future point, however.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Jay
>>
> What kind of masochist would wish to do any serious writing--the kind
> that would require a word-processor--on a mobile phone, or a
> touch-screen tablet?  Get real!
>
> --doug

you can add a small bluetooth keyboard.

some come in a kind of sleeve where you can fold the keyboard and the
10" tablet together held by velcro; you unfold it and the tablet is
propped up and the keyboard laid out flat. folded up, it all fits into
a woman's purse or a small satchel. the keyboard is pretty easy to use
for normal-sized hands and fingers.

opposite of masochism.

not my taste though - I prefer more power and gear - but perfectly
understandable setup for many use-cases.

F.

--
Felmon Davis

Better some of a pudding than none of a pie.  -- John Ray

Paul Steyn Paul Steyn

Re: Mobile devices?

Sounds like the Ubuntu Edge:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 20:23:49 +0100 (BST)
Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
> I just had a glimpse of an Android and it looks like it's got a
>  mini-Usb socket in the top.  If that could break-out to a powered
> usb-hub then surely you could get keyboard, mice, maybe even screens
> working off the Android?
>

> So 1 docking station at work and 1 at home might be enough to do
> emailing and more serious stuff there and still be able to keep an
> eye on things when travelling around or out?
>

> Or is Android just not yet set-up to do this sort of thing?
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

James Knott James Knott

Re: Mobile devices?

Tom Davies wrote:
> I just had a glimpse of an Android and it looks like it's got a
>  mini-Usb socket in the top.  If that could break-out to a powered
> usb-hub then surely you could get keyboard, mice, maybe even screens working off the Android?
>

> So 1 docking station at work and 1 at home might be enough to do emailing and more serious stuff there and still be able to keep an eye on things when travelling around or out?
>

> Or is Android just not yet set-up to do this sort of thing?

Every mobile device is required to have a USB connection for power.  It
doesn't have to be used for anything else but generally is.  I don't
know about keyboards though.  However, keyboards are supported via Blutooth.

Daniel Espinosa Daniel Espinosa

Re: Mobile devices?

Motorola's phones have docks to connect any keyword and mouse, even an HDMI
television. When docked you have a Desktop very similar to GNOME. First
Atrix had a dock shipped with the devise and can use LAPTOP like dock. New
models require to buy docks separately.

With this kind if devices and a LibreOffice version for it you can have all
the power you need for basic work station.
El ago 29, 2013 8:06 p.m., "James Knott" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Tom Davies wrote:
> > I just had a glimpse of an Android and it looks like it's got a
> >  mini-Usb socket in the top.  If that could break-out to a powered
> > usb-hub then surely you could get keyboard, mice, maybe even screens
> working off the Android?
> >

> > So 1 docking station at work and 1 at home might be enough to do
> emailing and more serious stuff there and still be able to keep an eye on
> things when travelling around or out?
> >

> > Or is Android just not yet set-up to do this sort of thing?
>
> Every mobile device is required to have a USB connection for power.  It
> doesn't have to be used for anything else but generally is.  I don't
> know about keyboards though.  However, keyboards are supported via
> Blutooth.

Tom Tom

Re: Mobile devices?

Wow!!  I had no idea!  I had assumed that every company still made it's own proprietary charger that would be the only thing able to charge it's devices.  I managed to get  a camera that has a fairly unique mini-usb but most seem to have a very standard one.

________________________________
> I just had a glimpse of an Android and it looks like it's got a
>  mini-Usb socket in the top.  If that could break-out to a powered
> usb-hub then surely you could get keyboard, mice, maybe even screens working off the Android?
>

> So 1 docking station at work and 1 at home might be enough to do emailing and more serious stuff there and still be able to keep an eye on things when travelling around or out?
>

> Or is Android just not yet set-up to do this sort of thing?

Every mobile device is required to have a USB connection for power.  It
doesn't have to be used for anything else but generally is.  I don't
know about keyboards though.  However, keyboards are supported via Blutooth.

Re: Cross Platfrom Support Question

This may not be the answer your looking for, but a friend of mine showed
this to me. They interpolate the functions to make your desktop a swipe
device.

http://www.splashtop.com/home

Look at the videos at...

http://www.splashtop.com/resource?type=demovideos