Data Range in Calc

Pat Brown Pat Brown

Data Range in Calc

Every year I open a new sheet in Calc to record data from a new year. The
layout remains exactly the same each year, only the data changes. The
simplest is to copy the whole of the previous year's sheet and past it into
a new sheet. Then delete all the previous year's data and fill in the new
data. I have two graphs on this page and this is where my problem comes in.
The simplest method would be to select the graph and then change the Data
Range to read from the new sheet, BUT, once a graph has been created I
cannot find any way to edit the data range. Am I missing something or is
this just not possible? Is it really necessary to re-create each graph from
scratch?

James Knott James Knott

Re: Data Range in Calc

On 07/07/2016 09:37 AM, Pat Brown wrote:

> Every year I open a new sheet in Calc to record data from a new year. The
> layout remains exactly the same each year, only the data changes. The
> simplest is to copy the whole of the previous year's sheet and past it into
> a new sheet. Then delete all the previous year's data and fill in the new
> data. I have two graphs on this page and this is where my problem comes in.
> The simplest method would be to select the graph and then change the Data
> Range to read from the new sheet, BUT, once a graph has been created I
> cannot find any way to edit the data range. Am I missing something or is
> this just not possible? Is it really necessary to re-create each graph from
> scratch?

Instead of clearing out a previous sheet, why not create a template and
use that to create a new sheet each year?  At the very least, you could
create a blank sheet and copy it to the current year.

Mike Scott-2 Mike Scott-2

Re: Data Range in Calc

On 07/07/16 14:37, Pat Brown wrote:

> Every year I open a new sheet in Calc to record data from a new year. The
> layout remains exactly the same each year, only the data changes. The
> simplest is to copy the whole of the previous year's sheet and past it into
> a new sheet. Then delete all the previous year's data and fill in the new
> data. I have two graphs on this page and this is where my problem comes in.
> The simplest method would be to select the graph and then change the Data
> Range to read from the new sheet, BUT, once a graph has been created I
> cannot find any way to edit the data range. Am I missing something or is
> this just not possible? Is it really necessary to re-create each graph from
> scratch?

No.

Double-click on the chart background to select it. Right-click on any
point (or a trend line) and select "Data Ranges"

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

Mike Scott-2 Mike Scott-2

Re: Data Range in Calc

On 08/07/16 02:01, Pat Brown wrote:
> Mike, the problem is that when I double click on the chart and I right
> click, none of the options is "Data Ranges". The closest I can come is
> "Data Table.." This is what has been frustrating me. I wonder if it
> would help to re-install LO as there may have been some sort of
> corruption during my last install. I am using version 5.1.3.2 on Win 7 Pro.

5.1.4.2/mint here. But it's behaved the same for as long as I remember.

OTOH, I'm charting a set of cells within the spreadsheet. If I
double-click the chart, and select "View" from the menu bar, then "Data
Table" is a greyed-out option. I have not the foggiest idea what it does
-- the help system unhelpfully tells me:

   "Opens the Data Table dialog where you can edit the chart data.

   The Data Table dialog is not available if you insert a chart that is
   based on a Calc sheet or on a Writer table."

But if I double-click the chart and then R-click somewhere on it, I get
different menus depending on what's been clicked (background, grid,
point, trend line), but they /all/ finish with chart type, data ranges,
copy, paste.

Do you have/can you borrow another machine you can run this on? IMO if
you seriously think the installation is corrupted, reinstalling might be
a good plan; but try moving your profile to one side first - I gather
resetting that can cure a number of ills.

(BTW, it's almost always best to follow up to the list, rather than to
any individual. At the very least, you get the benefit of the collected
wisdom, while others may benefit from any discussion.)

> On 7 July 2016 at 16:15, Mike Scott <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/07/16 14:37, Pat Brown wrote:
>
>         Every year I open a new sheet in Calc to record data from a new
>         year. The
>         layout remains exactly the same each year, only the data
>         changes. The
>         simplest is to copy the whole of the previous year's sheet and
>         past it into
>         a new sheet. Then delete all the previous year's data and fill
>         in the new
>         data. I have two graphs on this page and this is where my
>         problem comes in.
>         The simplest method would be to select the graph and then change
>         the Data
>         Range to read from the new sheet, BUT, once a graph has been
>         created I
>         cannot find any way to edit the data range. Am I missing
>         something or is
>         this just not possible? Is it really necessary to re-create each
>         graph from
>         scratch?
>

>     No.
>
>     Double-click on the chart background to select it. Right-click on
>     any point (or a trend line) and select "Data Ranges"

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
"The only way is Brexit" -- anon.

Piet van Oostrum-2 Piet van Oostrum-2

Re: Data Range in Calc

Mike Scott wrote:

 > On 08/07/16 02:01, Pat Brown wrote:
 > > Mike, the problem is that when I double click on the chart and I right
 > > click, none of the options is "Data Ranges". The closest I can come is
 > > "Data Table.." This is what has been frustrating me. I wonder if it
 > > would help to re-install LO as there may have been some sort of
 > > corruption during my last install. I am using version 5.1.3.2 on Win 7 Pro.
 >
 > 5.1.4.2/mint here. But it's behaved the same for as long as I remember.
 >
 > OTOH, I'm charting a set of cells within the spreadsheet. If I
 > double-click the chart, and select "View" from the menu bar, then "Data
 > Table" is a greyed-out option. I have not the foggiest idea what it does
 > -- the help system unhelpfully tells me:
 >
 >    "Opens the Data Table dialog where you can edit the chart data.
 >
 >    The Data Table dialog is not available if you insert a chart that is
 >    based on a Calc sheet or on a Writer table."
 >
 > But if I double-click the chart and then R-click somewhere on it, I get
 > different menus depending on what's been clicked (background, grid,
 > point, trend line), but they /all/ finish with chart type, data ranges,
 > copy, paste.

If you double-click on the chart, then there is Format > Data Ranges in the normal menu (and a lot more).
--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/