Debian's new website -- some ideas for LibreOffice website?

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Debian's new website -- some ideas for LibreOffice website?

Hi everyone,

I just came across this preview of the new Debian website, which is due
to be launched later this month:

https://debian-newhomepage.larjona.net

I like the way there's a clear distinction between community and
product. Maybe it's something we could take inspiration from, in a
future website redesign? What does everyone think?

--
Mike Saunders, Marketing & PR
The Document Foundation

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Debian's new website -- some ideas for LibreOffice website?

Hello Mike,

Le mardi 05 novembre 2019 à 13:53 +0100, Mike Saunders a écrit :
> https://debian-newhomepage.larjona.net
> I like the way there's a clear distinction between community and
> product. Maybe it's something we could take inspiration from, in a
> future website redesign? What does everyone think?

Yes, I think we could pretty much revisit the "Discover LibreOffice", a
section I've never been quite happy with. I do notice something which
jumps to my eyes in the Debian's new website, which is how it has drawn
direct inspiration from our website:
- focus on community (with a picture taken at a conference)
- similar iconset
- words/terms close to what you find on our website.

So I'd say they took a lot from us, but their simple and clear
distinction between community and product is something for us to study
in turn.

Best,
--
Charles-H. Schulz
Co-founder, The Document Foundation,

kainz.a kainz.a

Re: Debian's new website -- some ideas for LibreOffice website?

The separation between the product and the community is indeed something
that is an good idea.

For me the Product is now Download button that's fine but the Product is
for me:

- LibreOffice Download (for the different OS's and packages)
- LibreOffice Online (link to an Demo login)
- Professional Support

And the community is

- ask.libreoffice.org
- get involved (where you come to the different groups)
- templates
- extensions
- documentation
- wiki
- planet

There is a nice blog post from Krita from the Blender conference about
community content.
https://krita.org/en/item/introducing-krita-artists-org/

So from my point of view the extension page (with extensions, templates and
documentation) should be more in the focus.

Best
Andreas_K

Emiliano Vavassori Emiliano Vavassori

Il 05/11/19 13:53, Mike Saunders ha scritto:
> I just came across this preview of the new Debian website, which is due
> to be launched later this month:
>
> https://debian-newhomepage.larjona.net

I hope (for them) this is only a mockup, because I found a lot of issues
with their layout and how information are showed/organized (and I am not
a web developer/designer). Plus, the two column layout (abruptly
inserted and interrupted, indeed) doesn't feel right to me.

The actual landing page for libreoffice.org is much better than the new
Debian one from a design/usability point of view, IMHO.

> I like the way there's a clear distinction between community and
> product.

That's the only good idea I would take from that page.

The only idea I had (but frankly has to be developed) is a first
"landing" page with a clear product/community split, pointing the two
parts to their own specific "minisite" inside libreoffice.org (like
libreoffice.org/community - libreoffice.org/product or
community.libreoffice.org - product.libreoffice.org).

And, additionally, maybe libreoffice.org/community should really point
to documentfoundation.org (which probably needs a new fresh face, also).

My 2 cents :)

Emiliano Vavassori

Il 05/11/19 23:22, kainz.a ha scritto:
> And the community is> - templates
> - extensions
> - documentation
> - wiki

I don't agree on these being in Community, since these items are
strictly related to LibreOffice as a software; they will not exist if
LibreOffice wasn't a product, either. They are better fitted on the
Product part, with a big fat sign indicating these are products and are
maintained by the Community.

I'm uncertain on ask.lo.org, additionally.

Nothing to say about what I haven't cited here, I fully agree :)

Emiliano Vavassori