Default font in LO calc

12 « Prev
steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Default font in LO calc

Hi Piet,

On 2017-02-21 12:31, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

> Ian Whitfield wrote:
>
>   > Thanks All
>   >
>   > But still no joy!! Why does this have to be so difficult!!?? None of the
>   > ideas about using the Side-Bar do anything that makes any sense.
>   >
>   > So I thought I would try Paul's idea and try and edit the Default
>   > Template but I can find no reference in the Drop-Down options in the
>   > Menu Bar for Templates or Edit Templates. So where do you find this and
>   > edit it??
>   >
>   > This should be as easy to do as it is in Scribus!!! Why make things so
>   > difficult??
>   >
>
> It had been posted before, but I'll repeat:
> (This is LO 5.3.0.3 on Mac)
> File > New > Spreadsheet
> Side Bar > Styles and Formatting (or Format > Styles > Styles and Formatting)
>> Cell Styles (icon) > Default
> Right Click Modify..
> Set your font and font size > OK
> File > Templates > Save as Template
> Enter a name (e.g. Default), select category "My Templates",
> check "Set as default template" > Save
> In other versions you might have to do
> File > Templates < Manage Templates, Filter Spreadsheets, to set the template as default.

  just beat me to it. Quite straight forward but not easily found with
this explanation.
For me in writer I also change the default margins as well as font and
have custom named paragraph styles (to avoid issues copy/pasting between
documents with the same named but different styles).
steve

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

RE: Default font in LO calc

I hadn't seen Piet's post below until Steve responded to it, but Piet's process is what I used to change my default font. Worked just fine.

Virgil

On 2017-02-21 12:31, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

> Ian Whitfield wrote:
>
>   > Thanks All
>   >
>   > But still no joy!! Why does this have to be so difficult!!?? None of the
>   > ideas about using the Side-Bar do anything that makes any sense.
>   >
>   > So I thought I would try Paul's idea and try and edit the Default
>   > Template but I can find no reference in the Drop-Down options in the
>   > Menu Bar for Templates or Edit Templates. So where do you find this and
>   > edit it??
>   >
>   > This should be as easy to do as it is in Scribus!!! Why make things so
>   > difficult??
>   >
>
> It had been posted before, but I'll repeat:
> (This is LO 5.3.0.3 on Mac)
> File > New > Spreadsheet
> Side Bar > Styles and Formatting (or Format > Styles > Styles and Formatting)
>> Cell Styles (icon) > Default
> Right Click Modify..
> Set your font and font size > OK
> File > Templates > Save as Template
> Enter a name (e.g. Default), select category "My Templates",
> check "Set as default template" > Save
> In other versions you might have to do
> File > Templates < Manage Templates, Filter Spreadsheets, to set the template as default.

  just beat me to it. Quite straight forward but not easily found with
this explanation.
For me in writer I also change the default margins as well as font and
have custom named paragraph styles (to avoid issues copy/pasting between
documents with the same named but different styles).
steve

Ian Whitfield Ian Whitfield

Re: Default font in LO calc

*Thanks Everyone*

I seem to have stirred-up a real Hornets Nest here - but to me it just
shows how badly this part of LO is!!! It's a GREAT program except for
this problem and of course the orphan child Base!!

Anyway - still no luck here - I tried the Side-Bar method first of all
but my version has no such option as Cell Styles - so no joy there!!

Next I tried starting a new Spreadsheet, changing to the Font and size I
want, (which is what I've been doing for a couple of years or so), and
then saving this as a Template with the name 'Default'. I then close
down the program and re-start it and it comes up with Liberation Sans 10
still!!!! *GRRRRRR!!!*

This should be one change in the Options Menu - "Set Default Font and
Size". Why all these hoops to jump through!!!!!
It's no wonder some people leave LO for other programs!!

But thank you all for trying - appreciated. (back to the repetitive
manual method I guess!!!!!)

IanW
Pretoria RSA.

Piet van Oostrum-2 Piet van Oostrum-2

Re: Default font in LO calc

Ian Whitfield wrote:

 > Next I tried starting a new Spreadsheet, changing to the Font and size I
 > want, (which is what I've been doing for a couple of years or so), and
 > then saving this as a Template with the name 'Default'. I then close
 > down the program and re-start it and it comes up with Liberation Sans 10
 > still!!!! *GRRRRRR!!!*

That's not enough. You also have to designate it as the default template. The name doesn't do that. Go to File > Template > Manage Templates, select the template and set it as the default template.
See my posting.

 > This should be one change in the Options Menu - "Set Default Font and
 > Size". Why all these hoops to jump through!!!!!
 > It's no wonder some people leave LO for other programs!!

Next time, somebody wants an option to set the default page size, or the default background color, or ...
Putting it all in a template is much easier than having options for everything

--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/

Dave Barton-3 Dave Barton-3

Re: Default font in LO calc

On 21.02.2017 03:56, Ian Whitfield wrote:

> *Thanks Everyone*
>
> I seem to have stirred-up a real Hornets Nest here - but to me it just
> shows how badly this part of LO is!!! It's a GREAT program except for
> this problem and of course the orphan child Base!!
>
> Anyway - still no luck here - I tried the Side-Bar method first of all
> but my version has no such option as Cell Styles - so no joy there!!
>
> Next I tried starting a new Spreadsheet, changing to the Font and size I
> want, (which is what I've been doing for a couple of years or so), and
> then saving this as a Template with the name 'Default'. I then close
> down the program and re-start it and it comes up with Liberation Sans 10
> still!!!! *GRRRRRR!!!*
>
> This should be one change in the Options Menu - "Set Default Font and
> Size". Why all these hoops to jump through!!!!!
> It's no wonder some people leave LO for other programs!!
>
> But thank you all for trying - appreciated. (back to the repetitive
> manual method I guess!!!!!)
>
> IanW
> Pretoria RSA.

Hi Ian,

I cannot understand why this is not working for you. The simple one time
method of creating a default Calc template described in my previous
email works perfectly for me and 14 others here all using PCLinuxOS and
LO version 5.3.0.3

My guess is the problem is either an issue with your user profile, or
something else in your setup that we are not picking up from your
description.

Try directly opening the attached sample template and you should see a
single sheet with Bold 14pt. Liberation Serif font. If not there is
something "adrift" in your setup.

Regards
Dave

Ian Whitfield Ian Whitfield

Re: Default font in LO calc

*Thank you, Thank you Piet and Brian*

That did it - Magic!! Just what I wanted. You have made my frequent use
of Calc so much better!!

I still think it is a convoluted way of doing things but I'm very happy
to have the answer at last.

With much appreciation!!

Ian
Pretoria RSA

On 02/21/2017 10:08 AM, Piet van Oostrum wrote:
> That's not enough. You also have to designate it as the default template. The name doesn't do that. Go to File > Template > Manage Templates, select the template and set it as the default template.
> See my posting.

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

Re: Default font in LO calc

On 02/21/2017 02:56 AM, Ian Whitfield wrote:

> It's no wonder some people leave LO for other programs!!

Like all software that offers users options, some learning of how to use
the program is required.

I understand why software learning is not done --- skill testing either
ignores, or actively penalizes those who have learned "advanced", more
efficient ways of doing things, than using mouse clicks. Furthermore,
the more efficient way can look scary, and scary is an anathema to PHBs.
Nonetheless, learning how to use one's tools effectively, and
efficiently should remain standard practice, no matter the
discombobulation to both designers of skill rating tests, and PHBs.

> But thank you all for trying - appreciated. (back to the repetitive manual method I guess!!!!!)

Why would you rather do the same sequence of actions every time you want
a spreadsheet, than do things once, and be done with it?

jonathon

Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

Re: Default font in LO calc

On Mon Feb 20 2017 14:32:17 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Philip
Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I prepare a new blank spreadsheet with my preferred font and save it
> as a new template, whenever I open a new spreadsheet by File > New >
> Templates > Spreadsheets tab > select my new template > click Open, I
> get a new blank spreadsheet with my fonts I selected. So this is
> available as a workaround but it involves a lot of clicks just to get
> what is needed. More clicks than it takes to change the font in the
> default spreadsheet.

I have never, ever, used the menus and/or the application template
directory with my templates.

I create my templates, save them wherever I want with a meaningful name,
then when I'm ready to use one, I just go to MY templates folder (in the
filesystem, not through the Libreoffice menu system), then dbl-click the
template I want to use. Done.

For any that I use a lot, I create a shortcut and put it on my desktop.

Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

Re: Default font in LO calc

On Mon Feb 20 2017 18:16:45 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Ian
Whitfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks All
>
> But still no joy!! Why does this have to be so difficult!!?? None of the
> ideas about using the Side-Bar do anything that makes any sense.
>
> So I thought I would try Paul's idea and try and edit the Default
> Template

No, no NO.

If you must use the Libreoffice menu system to create new documents and
want to change the defaults (I prefer just saving my templates in the
filesystem and using them from there), then do as has already been
suggested multiple times.

1. Create a template the way you want it to be.

2. Set that template as the NEW Default.

3. Done.

Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

Re: Default font in LO calc

On 20/02/17 23:44, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

> Philip Jackson wrote:
> [...]
>  > If I prepare a new blank spreadsheet with my preferred font and save it
>  > as a new template, whenever I open a new spreadsheet by File > New >
>  > Templates > Spreadsheets tab > select my new template > click Open, I
>  > get a new blank spreadsheet with my fonts I selected. So this is
>  > available as a workaround but it involves a lot of clicks just to get
>  > what is needed. More clicks than it takes to change the font in the
>  > default spreadsheet.
>
> If that template is set as default template then all that is not necessary. Just File > New > Spreadsheet will create a new spreadsheet based upon the template.

You are quite right, thanks. There is always something to learn -
fortunately.

Philip

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: Default font in LO calc

This whole discussion about Calc's default font has got me thinking. I
am one who appreciates LO's templates/style approach and I have learned
how to use it. Once learned, templates and styles are easy to use and
make the finished result polished and consistent. Yet, I will admit, it
has taken me a lot of time and effort to learn templates and styles, and
I have learned that this is time and effort that most users aren't
willing to expend.

When I consider changing Calc's default, the template method is
efficient and took me about a minute. But, I believe someone else found
a way to change it by editing some settings in the Advanced options
settings. This, of course is unadvised and I understand why. But, for me
it raises a question.

Since the advanced settings are just text strings in a file, which can
be easily edited, couldn't there be a GUI method of editing them? The
example of Firefox's "about.config" file was mentioned. Some of the
settings in that file can be edited through the graphical Preferences
dialogs. Other settings require direct editing of the about.config file.
I have to believe that part of LO's GUI Options dialogs could be to make
changes to some of these deeper level settings, such as Ian's default
Calc font.

Virgil

On 21/02/17 19:53, Virgil Arrington wrote:
> Since the advanced settings are just text strings in a file, which can
> be easily edited, couldn't there be a GUI method of editing them? The
> example of Firefox's "about.config" file was mentioned. Some of the
> settings in that file can be edited through the graphical Preferences
> dialogs. Other settings require direct editing of the about.config file.
> I have to believe that part of LO's GUI Options dialogs could be to make
> changes to some of these deeper level settings, such as Ian's default
> Calc font.

There is a GUI method of editing them. Using the normal LO GUI. I
outlined it in a post earlier in this thread.
 4 mouse clicks and you're into the 'Expert Configuration' dialog. 3
double clicks and you're into the default font settings of your own
language. I was wary of the dragons, but it is easy to do and easy to undo.

Philip

12 « Prev