Design Team Tasks (was: Christoph Noack is Design Team Lead!)

Ivan M. Ivan M.

Design Team Tasks (was: Christoph Noack is Design Team Lead!)

Hi Christoph, all,

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Christoph Noack
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Bernhard, hi all!
>
> So ... what to say ... thank you all for your great support. That's very
> more than encouraging :-) Maybe my current feelings can be expressed by
> "I'll do my best to help you to make LibreOffice something really
> great". And (hopefully) beyond that ...

I know it's redundant, but I still want to say, "Congratulations,
Christoph!', since I didn't say it before :)

> What I like to ask you is to think about what's important for you, for
> the community. What's currently the most pressing task for LibreOffice,
> the biggest issue within the Design Team (within the LibreOffice
> community), ...? As you know - we have collected lots of stuff on the
> WhatWeNeed pages? What do we need to improve first ...

I'm sure we'd all like to hear your thoughts too, but I'll kick off
the discussion. Maybe it would help if we try to qualify our
suggestions with some additional information (if applicable), rather
than just a sentence or two, so I'll give it a shot here...

WHAT: Improve the Download Page on our website
WHERE: http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
WHY: It's not very usable for less experienced users, and it could
look a lot better too
HOW: Decide on a new design and implement it in HTML/CSS/JS
WHO: Anyone interested, and myself
WHEN: As soon as possible...

Regards,
Ivan.

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Design Team Tasks (was: Christoph Noack is Design Team Lead!)

Le 2011-09-28 21:55, Ivan M. a écrit :

> Hi Christoph, all,
>
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Christoph Noack
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi Bernhard, hi all!
>>
>> So ... what to say ... thank you all for your great support. That's very
>> more than encouraging :-) Maybe my current feelings can be expressed by
>> "I'll do my best to help you to make LibreOffice something really
>> great". And (hopefully) beyond that ...
>
> I know it's redundant, but I still want to say, "Congratulations,
> Christoph!', since I didn't say it before :)
>
>> What I like to ask you is to think about what's important for you, for
>> the community. What's currently the most pressing task for LibreOffice,
>> the biggest issue within the Design Team (within the LibreOffice
>> community), ...? As you know - we have collected lots of stuff on the
>> WhatWeNeed pages? What do we need to improve first ...
>
> I'm sure we'd all like to hear your thoughts too, but I'll kick off
> the discussion. Maybe it would help if we try to qualify our
> suggestions with some additional information (if applicable), rather
> than just a sentence or two, so I'll give it a shot here...
>
> WHAT: Improve the Download Page on our website
> WHERE: http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
> WHY: It's not very usable for less experienced users, and it could
> look a lot better too
> HOW: Decide on a new design and implement it in HTML/CSS/JS
> WHO: Anyone interested, and myself
> WHEN: As soon as possible...
>
> Regards,
> Ivan.

Hi Ivan,

FYI - The French team has just done a revision of their download
page[1]. It was made less verbose and user experience was considered
through the process. It is still being tweaked at this time. JB Faure
was/is instrumental at facilitating the change which is well
appreciated. Merci JB!

Cheers

Marc
[1] http://fr.libreoffice.org/telecharger

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Download Page Improvements

Hi Marc, all!

Am Donnerstag, den 29.09.2011, 12:42 -0400 schrieb Marc Paré:
> Le 2011-09-28 21:55, Ivan M. a écrit :
[...]
> > WHAT: Improve the Download Page on our website
> > WHERE: http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
> > WHY: It's not very usable for less experienced users, and it could
> > look a lot better too
> > HOW: Decide on a new design and implement it in HTML/CSS/JS
> > WHO: Anyone interested, and myself
> > WHEN: As soon as possible...

[...]

> FYI - The French team has just done a revision of their download
> page[1]. It was made less verbose and user experience was considered
> through the process. It is still being tweaked at this time. JB Faure
> was/is instrumental at facilitating the change which is well
> appreciated. Merci JB!
>
> Cheers
>
> Marc
> [1] http://fr.libreoffice.org/telecharger

Of course, the changes led to improvements, but I think it is still too
complex for average users. So here is the proposal to get some more
inspiration - I worked it out some time ago (technical guidance by
Christian, inspired by Nik, pushed by a discussion on the German mailing
list):
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/7/7c/2011-07-01_DownloadPage_Default_Windows_Collapsed.png

All thoughts - requirements, texts, website structure - are here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Download_Page

@ Ivan: I don't know if that fits to the "HOW: decide on a new
design ...". I invested almost two weeks refining the details and got
very good feedback by different people. We "just" need somebody to
implement it ;-)

Cheers,
Christoph

Ivan M. Ivan M.

Re: Download Page Improvements

Hi Christoph,

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Christoph Noack
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> @ Ivan: I don't know if that fits to the "HOW: decide on a new
> design ...". I invested almost two weeks refining the details and got
> very good feedback by different people. We "just" need somebody to
> implement it ;-)

Sorry, I should have been more specific - I'm more than happy to adapt
the design in the mockup. However, your mockup has a third navigation
level, some of which appears to map onto existing pages, and some that
may not, so presumably these pages will need to be designed. That's
more of what I was referring to - that this won't just involve a
single page.

Regards,
Ivan.

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Download Page Improvements

Hi Ivan, all!

Am Samstag, den 01.10.2011, 22:40 +1300 schrieb Ivan M.:

> Hi Christoph,
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Christoph Noack
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > @ Ivan: I don't know if that fits to the "HOW: decide on a new
> > design ...". I invested almost two weeks refining the details and got
> > very good feedback by different people. We "just" need somebody to
> > implement it ;-)
>
> Sorry, I should have been more specific - I'm more than happy to adapt
> the design in the mockup. However, your mockup has a third navigation
> level, some of which appears to map onto existing pages, and some that
> may not, so presumably these pages will need to be designed. That's
> more of what I was referring to - that this won't just involve a
> single page.

Ah, yes, you're right. After playing around with some alternatives, the
third navigation area is something which is not that nice [1], but also
something we can't avoid ... the navigation hierarchy is more than
strange looking at the dual-LibO-download page and e.g. separate
"features and fixes" pages.

Thus, the third navigation area is something we should take care about -
but filling it with content is something for marketing, website and
documentation team. Same for "Development Versions" or "All Downloads";
here we also might ask for help. The main thing is still the download
page (better: the download page reference for the different
versions) ... that should take care of 98% of all users.

The only page that might need some additional design love is the
"features and fixes" page ... the "Features Selection" (weird naming, by
the way, on a "features and fixes" page) is something which currently
looks odd:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/3-4-new-features-and-fixes/

I hope now my thoughts might make a bit more sense :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

[1] Our page design already grew to a complexity which makes the
horizontal menus not scale that well. Something for later :-)

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2011-09-29 17:04, Christoph Noack a écrit :

> Hi Marc, all!
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 29.09.2011, 12:42 -0400 schrieb Marc Paré:
>> Le 2011-09-28 21:55, Ivan M. a écrit :
> [...]
>>> WHAT: Improve the Download Page on our website
>>> WHERE: http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
>>> WHY: It's not very usable for less experienced users, and it could
>>> look a lot better too
>>> HOW: Decide on a new design and implement it in HTML/CSS/JS
>>> WHO: Anyone interested, and myself
>>> WHEN: As soon as possible...
>
> [...]
>> FYI - The French team has just done a revision of their download
>> page[1]. It was made less verbose and user experience was considered
>> through the process. It is still being tweaked at this time. JB Faure
>> was/is instrumental at facilitating the change which is well
>> appreciated. Merci JB!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Marc
>> [1] http://fr.libreoffice.org/telecharger
>
> Of course, the changes led to improvements, but I think it is still too
> complex for average users. So here is the proposal to get some more
> inspiration - I worked it out some time ago (technical guidance by
> Christian, inspired by Nik, pushed by a discussion on the German mailing
> list):
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/7/7c/2011-07-01_DownloadPage_Default_Windows_Collapsed.png
>
> All thoughts - requirements, texts, website structure - are here:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Download_Page
>

> @ Ivan: I don't know if that fits to the "HOW: decide on a new
> design ...". I invested almost two weeks refining the details and got
> very good feedback by different people. We "just" need somebody to
> implement it ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

Nice! I like the design. IMO, the less verbose the better for our new
users. Users are interested in downloading, installing and using right
away. But there are still some issues.

One of the recurring questions from users is that of Java ("Do we need
to download/install Java?"). For a new user to LibreOffice, this would
not be evident from your mockup and he/she would just assume that
everything needed would come included in the one download.

I also like the fact that there is a short descriptive section on the FR
download site ("Quels fichiers télécharger" [Which Files to Download?])
where it displays the needed files for all three supported OS's. This
again, for a new user would not be evident on the mockup.

I would also suggest a "Corporate Use" link on the right hand side as we
are also getting more questions about which version is for corporate
use. This link could also help streamline help for corporate use --
maybe send them off to a FAQ targeted for corporate use? Alternatively,
we could have a "Corporate use version" on the second tier menu with a
version specifically targeted to corporate use with accompanying links
to help files such as "large scale installation" and "professional
services" offerings etc.

I think if these issues were dealt with on the download page mockup, it
would make for a great page.

Marc

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2011-10-02 16:21, Christoph Noack a écrit :
> The only page that might need some additional design love is the
> "features and fixes" page ... the "Features Selection" (weird naming, by
> the way, on a "features and fixes" page) is something which currently
> looks odd:
> http://www.libreoffice.org/download/3-4-new-features-and-fixes/

Yes, this does need some re-design. The idea at the time, was not to
vary the 3.3 and 3.4 pages and we were short on help. I helped adding
the data on the page.

One caveat, is that, if we want to these pages to be "user-functional"
is to make the v3.3 and 3.4 page styles similar so that the user finds
himself/herself comfortable browsing from one page to the other.

Another issue is to not over-complicate the page, so that when we decide
to update at the very next feature update, the person who will do the
updating of data will not get confused over page styling issues. More
often than not, we are short on manpower and chances are that someone
who has never worked these pages will be updating them.

A re-design of these pages would be welcome.

+1

Marc

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Download Page Improvements

Hi Marc,

cool to hear you ... I hope everything is fine(er) now!

Am Sonntag, den 02.10.2011, 22:11 -0400 schrieb Marc Paré:

> Le 2011-09-29 17:04, Christoph Noack a écrit :
> > Hi Marc, all!
> >
> > Am Donnerstag, den 29.09.2011, 12:42 -0400 schrieb Marc Paré:
> >> Le 2011-09-28 21:55, Ivan M. a écrit :
> > [...]

[...]

> > All thoughts - requirements, texts, website structure - are here:
> > http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Download_Page

[...]

> Nice! I like the design. IMO, the less verbose the better for our new
> users. Users are interested in downloading, installing and using right
> away. But there are still some issues.

Let's see :-)

> One of the recurring questions from users is that of Java ("Do we need
> to download/install Java?"). For a new user to LibreOffice, this would
> not be evident from your mockup and he/she would just assume that
> everything needed would come included in the one download.

Do they need Java to run LibreOffice? As far as I remember Java is still
optional (decreased dependency) and rather a question for people
migrating from OpenOffice.org. So, it is something for "Installing
Instructions" - the placeholder is already there.

> I also like the fact that there is a short descriptive section on the FR
> download site ("Quels fichiers télécharger" [Which Files to Download?])
> where it displays the needed files for all three supported OS's. This
> again, for a new user would not be evident on the mockup.

Since cleanliness of the page was important for me, I checked with
Christian whether the files for download could be made dependent on the
operating system (like today). So instead offering the user everything
he could download (for system he never heard of *g*), we offer him the
pre-selection for his OS - which should be sufficient for 99.5% of all
use case. If the user needs to download other versions, then:
      * he can change the "Computer system" setting
      * he can check out "All Downloads"

For example, the Linux Download page mentions all three downloads - for
Windows you only have the Help Pack that could be added optionall.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/8/80/2011-07-01_DownloadPage_Features_Linux_Expanded.png

> I would also suggest a "Corporate Use" link on the right hand side as we
> are also getting more questions about which version is for corporate
> use. This link could also help streamline help for corporate use --
> maybe send them off to a FAQ targeted for corporate use? Alternatively,
> we could have a "Corporate use version" on the second tier menu with a
> version specifically targeted to corporate use with accompanying links
> to help files such as "large scale installation" and "professional
> services" offerings etc.

Well, this has been discussed in-depth some time ago ... according to
our release schedule, there are only two versions "the more stable", and
the "the newer features" version. The latter refers several times to
"cooperations and large-scale deployments". The only thing missing is
the FAQ (or similar info) - can be linked from e.g. "Release Notes and
Known Issues" or "Installing Instructions". Then, we keep the download
page quite clean. Well, if company admins use our download page at
all :-)

However, if we offer a special "ultra-hardened" version, its simple to
add that (at the beginning, I've started with this idea). Traveling back
in time...
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Design/Whiteboards/Download_Page&oldid=26394#Versions_Descriptions

> I think if these issues were dealt with on the download page mockup, it
> would make for a great page.

I don't know whether my answers have been sufficient ... I think it
still fits. And even if its not perfect, each small step towards a
better download experience is a great step :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2011-10-03 09:03, Christoph Noack a écrit :
> Hi Marc,
>
> cool to hear you ... I hope everything is fine(er) now!

Thanks. I should know by December if I need to go back in again. Slow to
cure and I am constantly told to be patient.

> Am Sonntag, den 02.10.2011, 22:11 -0400 schrieb Marc Paré:
>> Le 2011-09-29 17:04, Christoph Noack a écrit :
>>> Hi Marc, all!

>>> [...]
>
> [...]
>
>>> All thoughts - requirements, texts, website structure - are here:
>>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Download_Page
>
> [...]
>
>> Nice! I like the design. IMO, the less verbose the better for our new
>> users. Users are interested in downloading, installing and using right
>> away. But there are still some issues.
>
> Let's see :-)
>
>> One of the recurring questions from users is that of Java ("Do we need
>> to download/install Java?"). For a new user to LibreOffice, this would
>> not be evident from your mockup and he/she would just assume that
>> everything needed would come included in the one download.
>
> Do they need Java to run LibreOffice? As far as I remember Java is still
> optional (decreased dependency) and rather a question for people
> migrating from OpenOffice.org. So, it is something for "Installing
> Instructions" - the placeholder is already there.

I guess the true test would be to put the page into use and see if we
still get questions about Java. I believe we get questions mostly from
Windows users. Not sure about Mac's but Linux normally does not have a
problem with this as most distro's will already have Java installed on
the systems.

>> I also like the fact that there is a short descriptive section on the FR
>> download site ("Quels fichiers télécharger" [Which Files to Download?])
>> where it displays the needed files for all three supported OS's. This
>> again, for a new user would not be evident on the mockup.
>
> Since cleanliness of the page was important for me, I checked with
> Christian whether the files for download could be made dependent on the
> operating system (like today). So instead offering the user everything
> he could download (for system he never heard of *g*), we offer him the
> pre-selection for his OS - which should be sufficient for 99.5% of all
> use case. If the user needs to download other versions, then:
>        * he can change the "Computer system" setting
>        * he can check out "All Downloads"
>
> For example, the Linux Download page mentions all three downloads - for
> Windows you only have the Help Pack that could be added optionall.
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/8/80/2011-07-01_DownloadPage_Features_Linux_Expanded.png

Sounds good. I guess if all of the necessary files are listed for the
platforms, then it does serve this purpose well.

>> I would also suggest a "Corporate Use" link on the right hand side as we
>> are also getting more questions about which version is for corporate
>> use. This link could also help streamline help for corporate use --
>> maybe send them off to a FAQ targeted for corporate use? Alternatively,
>> we could have a "Corporate use version" on the second tier menu with a
>> version specifically targeted to corporate use with accompanying links
>> to help files such as "large scale installation" and "professional
>> services" offerings etc.
>
> Well, this has been discussed in-depth some time ago ... according to
> our release schedule, there are only two versions "the more stable", and
> the "the newer features" version. The latter refers several times to
> "cooperations and large-scale deployments". The only thing missing is
> the FAQ (or similar info) - can be linked from e.g. "Release Notes and
> Known Issues" or "Installing Instructions". Then, we keep the download
> page quite clean. Well, if company admins use our download page at
> all :-)

Even if we did not have an ultra-hardened version, we should make it
easier for corporations to find information for large scale
installations a little more easy. Maybe this would mean providing a tab
or link on one of the download sub-menus to take them to a FAQ-type page.

I was just wondering, you say "Well, if company admins use our download
page at all." Where else would they get the necessary files?

> However, if we offer a special "ultra-hardened" version, its simple to
> add that (at the beginning, I've started with this idea). Traveling back
> in time...
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Design/Whiteboards/Download_Page&oldid=26394#Versions_Descriptions
>
>> I think if these issues were dealt with on the download page mockup, it
>> would make for a great page.
>
> I don't know whether my answers have been sufficient ... I think it
> still fits. And even if its not perfect, each small step towards a
> better download experience is a great step :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

Yes, it all sounds good. Thanks for all that info.

Marc

nik-2 nik-2

Re: Design Team Tasks (was: Christoph Noack is Design Team Lead!)

Hullo all!
I've mustered up the nerve (and time) to show my face again =)
My VERY sincere apologies to anyone who was waiting on me for anything.

anywho ...

On 11.09.29 11:55, Ivan M. wrote:
---8< snip ---
> I know it's redundant, but I still want to say, "Congratulations,
> Christoph!', since I didn't say it before :)

I regret TERRIBLY that I decided to take a "sabbatical" at the time such
an important milestone occurred!
For what it is worth and so it may be recorded in the annals of
LibreOffice history:    +>1
Congrats Christoph! it was a long time coming =)

> I'm sure we'd all like to hear your thoughts too, but I'll kick off
> the discussion. Maybe it would help if we try to qualify our
> suggestions with some additional information (if applicable), rather
> than just a sentence or two, so I'll give it a shot here...
>
> WHAT: Improve the Download Page on our website
> WHERE: http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
> WHY: It's not very usable for less experienced users, and it could
> look a lot better too
> HOW: Decide on a new design and implement it in HTML/CSS/JS
> WHO: Anyone interested, and myself

+Nik

I still see this as a critical area for improvement and I'm in if you'll
have me!

> WHEN: As soon as possible...
>
> Regards,
> Ivan.

I've missed quite a bit while I was gone (some of it, not too pleasant
sadly), but I've ploughed through the 350+ Emails in my backlog and I
wanna get back to business while I have this (again) short break in my
research. Is this project still underway Ivan/Christoph?

-Nik

Ivan M. Ivan M.

Re: Design Team Tasks (was: Christoph Noack is Design Team Lead!)

Hi Nik,

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Nik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hullo all!
> I've mustered up the nerve (and time) to show my face again =)
> My VERY sincere apologies to anyone who was waiting on me for anything.

It seems we're both in a similar position :)

> On 11.09.29 11:55, Ivan M. wrote:
> ---8< snip ---
>>
>> I know it's redundant, but I still want to say, "Congratulations,
>> Christoph!', since I didn't say it before :)
>>

> I regret TERRIBLY that I decided to take a "sabbatical" at the time such an
> important milestone occurred!
> For what it is worth and so it may be recorded in the annals of LibreOffice
> history:    +>1
> Congrats Christoph! it was a long time coming =)
>
>> I'm sure we'd all like to hear your thoughts too, but I'll kick off
>> the discussion. Maybe it would help if we try to qualify our
>> suggestions with some additional information (if applicable), rather
>> than just a sentence or two, so I'll give it a shot here...
>>
>> WHAT: Improve the Download Page on our website
>> WHERE: http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
>> WHY: It's not very usable for less experienced users, and it could
>> look a lot better too
>> HOW: Decide on a new design and implement it in HTML/CSS/JS
>> WHO: Anyone interested, and myself
>
> +Nik
>
> I still see this as a critical area for improvement and I'm in if you'll
> have me!

Absolutely! But I think it's waiting on me at this stage since we're
going ahead with Christoph's mockup, and it needs to be translated
into a web layout (if you want to do it, go for it - just let me know
:)).

Regards,
Ivan.