Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Next » 12
Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi all,

the new extensions-site is in a test-mode since some weeks now. We have already
worked on a header graphic for the site. This is online now. But maybe there are some
ideas for improvements of the sites layout. I hope to get some proposals / mockups
from the "design-experts" here ;-)

You can find the site here at the moment:
http://extensions-test.libreoffice.org

Regards,
Andreas
--
## Developer LibreOffice
## http://LibreOffice.org

Olivier R. Olivier R.

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hello all,

Speaking as the new co-administrator of the extensions website, here are my remarks about the current layout.
And as a picture is worth a thousand words…

extension website home page

Best regards,
Olivier R.
Alexander Wilms Alexander Wilms

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Thats my attempt: http://ubuntuone.com/0qaaZ3eaxmxV10RvUYUjCL

Are you the admin of the template repository? I'm asking because I
submitted this file (http://ubuntuone.com/6GrGwdycMifBmPIyz3ri1m)and I
must say that the process is quite complicated. Is there any chance to
simplify it? Additionally I am not able to get an overview of the
project and the status.

Greetings

Alex

Am Fr 07 Okt 2011 20:24:39 CEST schrieb Andreas Mantke:

> Hi all,
>
> the new extensions-site is in a test-mode since some weeks now. We have already
> worked on a header graphic for the site. This is online now. But maybe there are some
> ideas for improvements of the sites layout. I hope to get some proposals / mockups
> from the "design-experts" here ;-)
>
> You can find the site here at the moment:
> http://extensions-test.libreoffice.org
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi Olivier, *,

Am Freitag, 7. Oktober 2011, 21:32:09 schrieb Olivier R.:
> Hello all,
>
> Speaking as the new co-administrator of the extensions website, here are my
> remarks about the current layout.
> And as a picture is worth a thousand words…
>
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3403858/extensions-website-sugge
> stions.png

I looked over it. There are a fast to solve issue: the unused space in the header.
The logo is currently to wide and to high. I can shrink it to 452 x 59 px and  the
unused space will be much smaller.
I created a new site in the wiki for the design-proposals:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Extensions-website-design-improvements

You can see a screenshot of the site with the smaller logo in this section:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Extensions-website-design-improvements#Logo

Please add your comments also there.

Regards,
Andreas
--
## Developer LibreOffice
## http://LibreOffice.org
## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi Olivier, *,

Am Freitag, 7. Oktober 2011, 21:32:09 schrieb Olivier R.:
> Hello all,
>
> Speaking as the new co-administrator of the extensions website, here are my
> remarks about the current layout.
> And as a picture is worth a thousand words…
>
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3403858/extensions-website-sugge
> stions.png

about your comment, that the first lines (entry) of the homepage are to wide, there
is only the solution, that we create or activate a portlet on the right side of the
homepage. There are already portlets for events and news available. But this means,
that we had to add news and events to the site.
We can also think about a portlet that points to the newest or highest rated
extensions. We then need to create such a portlet. I had then to investigate, how
difficult that would be.

Regards,
Andreas

--
## Developer LibreOffice
## http://LibreOffice.org
## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi,

Am Samstag, 8. Oktober 2011, 21:53:18 schrieb Andreas Mantke:
(...)
> about your comment, that the first lines (entry) of the homepage are to
> wide, there is only the solution, that we create or activate a portlet on
> the right side of the homepage. There are already portlets for events and
> news available. But this means, that we had to add news and events to the
> site.
> We can also think about a portlet that points to the newest or highest
> rated extensions. We then need to create such a portlet. I had then to
> investigate, how difficult that would be.

or we can add a donate portlet. I did such thing for PayPal for the German
association.

Regards,
Andreas
--
## Developer LibreOffice
## http://LibreOffice.org
## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi Alex, all!

Am Freitag, den 07.10.2011, 21:56 +0200 schrieb
[hidden email]:
> Hi,
>
> Thats my attempt: http://ubuntuone.com/0qaaZ3eaxmxV10RvUYUjCL

Hehe, nifty idea ... :-) But, several people asked some time ago (almost
one year ago) to not alter the LibO / TDF logo because of branding
reasons. As far as I know, we do have two exceptions until today:
      * our MIME type icons -> was a decision within the team to improve
        the visibility of our logo, but the changes are always without
        showing the LibO name
      * our Planet -> really needs to be updated anyway (in comparison
        to the other pages it looks quite dated)

Do you have any idea how to transform that idea into something less logo
related? Maybe using the text "Extensions" on a puzzle-piece background?

Furthermore, what do you think about the general style of the page?
Should we go for the default website style we have today, for the one
Nik proposed along with the Motif design, or are there any ideas for
further refinement?

> Are you the admin of the template repository? I'm asking because I
> submitted this file (http://ubuntuone.com/6GrGwdycMifBmPIyz3ri1m)and I
> must say that the process is quite complicated. Is there any chance to
> simplify it? Additionally I am not able to get an overview of the
> project and the status.

Yep, some simplification would be great ... although I know Andreas did
a lot to improve the Plone behavior for us. However, is there something
you have in mind that could be done easily? For example, I've asked
myself why the "TemplateCenter" / "ExtensionCenter" isn't visible on the
start page. I think this is what the people are searching for ... any
other ideas?

Cheers,
Christoph

> Am Fr 07 Okt 2011 20:24:39 CEST schrieb Andreas Mantke:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > the new extensions-site is in a test-mode since some weeks now. We have already
> > worked on a header graphic for the site. This is online now. But maybe there are some
> > ideas for improvements of the sites layout. I hope to get some proposals / mockups
> > from the "design-experts" here ;-)
> >
> > You can find the site here at the moment:
> > http://extensions-test.libreoffice.org
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andreas

Alexander Wilms Alexander Wilms

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi,

Here's my second try: http://ubuntuone.com/3k0frepq4ZPmeUFJAutmev

I don't know what general style Nik proposed, could you please give me
the link?

Regarding the simplifications: In my opinion there should be an obvious
link when you're logged in saying "Your Templates" leading to a simple
overview.

Good Night

Alex
Am So 09 Okt 2011 01:14:26 CEST schrieb Christoph Noack:

> Hi Alex, all!
>
> Am Freitag, den 07.10.2011, 21:56 +0200 schrieb
> [hidden email]:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thats my attempt: http://ubuntuone.com/0qaaZ3eaxmxV10RvUYUjCL
>
> Hehe, nifty idea ... :-) But, several people asked some time ago (almost
> one year ago) to not alter the LibO / TDF logo because of branding
> reasons. As far as I know, we do have two exceptions until today:
>        * our MIME type icons ->  was a decision within the team to improve
>          the visibility of our logo, but the changes are always without
>          showing the LibO name
>        * our Planet ->  really needs to be updated anyway (in comparison
>          to the other pages it looks quite dated)
>
> Do you have any idea how to transform that idea into something less logo
> related? Maybe using the text "Extensions" on a puzzle-piece background?
>
> Furthermore, what do you think about the general style of the page?
> Should we go for the default website style we have today, for the one
> Nik proposed along with the Motif design, or are there any ideas for
> further refinement?
>
>> Are you the admin of the template repository? I'm asking because I
>> submitted this file (http://ubuntuone.com/6GrGwdycMifBmPIyz3ri1m)and I
>> must say that the process is quite complicated. Is there any chance to
>> simplify it? Additionally I am not able to get an overview of the
>> project and the status.
>
> Yep, some simplification would be great ... although I know Andreas did
> a lot to improve the Plone behavior for us. However, is there something
> you have in mind that could be done easily? For example, I've asked
> myself why the "TemplateCenter" / "ExtensionCenter" isn't visible on the
> start page. I think this is what the people are searching for ... any
> other ideas?
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph
>
>> Am Fr 07 Okt 2011 20:24:39 CEST schrieb Andreas Mantke:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> the new extensions-site is in a test-mode since some weeks now. We have already
>>> worked on a header graphic for the site. This is online now. But maybe there are some
>>> ideas for improvements of the sites layout. I hope to get some proposals / mockups
>>> from the "design-experts" here ;-)
>>>
>>> You can find the site here at the moment:
>>> http://extensions-test.libreoffice.org
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Andreas

Ivan M. Ivan M.

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi Alexander,

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's my second try: http://ubuntuone.com/3k0frepq4ZPmeUFJAutmev
>
> I don't know what general style Nik proposed, could you please give me the
> link?

Here it is:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:ScatterInContext_bunch.jpg

Regards,
Ivan.

Alexander Wilms Alexander Wilms

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

I did another mockup, I hope it wouldn't be too hard to make it real:

http://ubuntuone.com/031AWeVXE6uLsDe9TFLnyf

I added the motif similar to nik's design, replaced the logo and changed
to color of the navigation bar.

Would it be possible to have links to both repositories on each site?

Kind Regards

Alex

Am 07.10.2011 20:24, schrieb Andreas Mantke:

> Hi all,
>
> the new extensions-site is in a test-mode since some weeks now. We have already
> worked on a header graphic for the site. This is online now. But maybe there are some
> ideas for improvements of the sites layout. I hope to get some proposals / mockups
> from the "design-experts" here ;-)
>
> You can find the site here at the moment:
> http://extensions-test.libreoffice.org
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi  Alexander,

Am Montag, 10. Oktober 2011, 16:04:37 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hi,
>
> I did another mockup, I hope it wouldn't be too hard to make it real:
>
> http://ubuntuone.com/031AWeVXE6uLsDe9TFLnyf
>
> I added the motif similar to nik's design, replaced the logo and changed
> to color of the navigation bar.
>
> Would it be possible to have links to both repositories on each site?

could you please upload your proposals to our wiki? I can't reach your resource at
the moment. Thus I couldn't comment on it.

Regards,
Andreas
--
## Developer LibreOffice
## http://LibreOffice.org
## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de

Alexander Wilms Alexander Wilms

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi Andreas,

Here it is: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Toxicbits

Greetings

Alex

Am Mo 10 Okt 2011 18:52:46 CEST schrieb Andreas Mantke:

> Hi  Alexander,
>
> Am Montag, 10. Oktober 2011, 16:04:37 schrieb [hidden email]:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did another mockup, I hope it wouldn't be too hard to make it real:
>>
>> http://ubuntuone.com/031AWeVXE6uLsDe9TFLnyf
>>
>> I added the motif similar to nik's design, replaced the logo and changed
>> to color of the navigation bar.
>>
>> Would it be possible to have links to both repositories on each site?
>
> could you please upload your proposals to our wiki? I can't reach your resource at
> the moment. Thus I couldn't comment on it.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi Alexander, *,

Am Montag, 10. Oktober 2011, 18:52:46 schrieb Andreas Mantke:

> Hi  Alexander,
>
> Am Montag, 10. Oktober 2011, 16:04:37 schrieb [hidden email]:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I did another mockup, I hope it wouldn't be too hard to make it real:
> >
> > http://ubuntuone.com/031AWeVXE6uLsDe9TFLnyf
> >
> > I added the motif similar to nik's design, replaced the logo and changed
> > to color of the navigation bar.
> >
> > Would it be possible to have links to both repositories on each site?
>
> could you please upload your proposals to our wiki? I can't reach your
> resource at the moment. Thus I couldn't comment on it.

the resource is available again now. But it would be nice, if the proposal would be
on the site for design improvements of the extensions-site, that I created some days
ago. Then everyone could make comments on your proposal and they get not lost.

It's currently not posible to put the extensions and templates in one repository
together. I explained that a long time ago on the websites-list and maybe on this
list. That would cause trouble with the search engine, because you get a mix of
extensions and templates if you search for all categories in one of the parts
(templates / extensions). Thus both currently had to be in different Plone sites.

It is no issue to change the logo in the header, but Olivier commented that the
header is too high. Thus the height of the logo should be smaller.

Regards,
Andreas
--
## Developer LibreOffice
## http://LibreOffice.org
## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de

Alexander Wilms Alexander Wilms

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi,

Put it on the wikipage for the website. I undestand that templates and
extensions would be mixed up, but I thought it would be possible to
simply have a link to "templates-test.libreoffice.org" on the extension
site and vice versa in this top bar.

Regarding the height of the logo: I don't think that it would be an
issue to resize it.

Alex

nik-2 nik-2

On 11.10.08 05:24, Andreas Mantke wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the new extensions-site is in a test-mode since some weeks now. We have already
> worked on a header graphic for the site. This is online now. But maybe there are some
> ideas for improvements of the sites layout. I hope to get some proposals / mockups
> from the "design-experts" here ;-)
>
> You can find the site here at the moment:
> http://extensions-test.libreoffice.org
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

I'd be happy to chip in a mock-up soon, but could you do me one favour
in advance;

(I'm sorry to sound like a stubborn and difficult Designer, even though
I am, but ...)
could you reinstate the original extensions logo?
...this one:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/7/7e/ExtensionsLogo_110712NS.png

I realise you modified the placement, size (and indeed the very shape)
of the triangles to attract /attention/, and you've succeeded: but for
some wrong reasons...

The triangles are attracting "bad" attention because they are
mis-aligned with the text (vertically).
This is the same as when you see one street-pole bent and the others are
intact. It isn't desirable.
And the ability to discern the "X" created by the negative space between
the triangles is lost when you remove the "X" from the context in which
it would usually occur (i.e. at the same hieght as the neighbouring
letters).

Believe me, the colour-contrast will be sufficent in attracting
attention, the size-difference right now is unnerving.
And the inconsistencies in shape look unprofessional.

Also, the sharp corners of the new triangles conflict with the soft
corners of the document symbol nearby.
And the radial gradient now employed doesn't suggest modularity like the
broken conical gradient did.

I'm being nit-picky. I'm sorry. I'll be quiet now.
-Nik

nik-2 nik-2

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi Andreas, all,

as promised, a mockup;
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:PROP_ExtensionsSite_111022NS.jpg

I've kept it realistic and in-line with the current site format/contents
so that it would be easier to implement.
The search box could always be moved back outside the Navbar if it
causes hassles to implement.
I envisage that the "only in current section" and other search options
(categories) would pop up upon clicking the "plus" alongside the search
field. Similarly, the full list of languages be made visible upon
clicking the down-arrow next to the current language.
I have more adventurous ideas, but they can wait.

That gets the ball rolling. Let me know what you think.
-Nik

On 11.10.22 01:12, Nik wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>

> On 11.10.08 05:24, Andreas Mantke wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> the new extensions-site is in a test-mode since some weeks now. We
>> have already
>> worked on a header graphic for the site. This is online now. But
>> maybe there are some
>> ideas for improvements of the sites layout. I hope to get some
>> proposals / mockups
>> from the "design-experts" here ;-)
>>
>> You can find the site here at the moment:
>> http://extensions-test.libreoffice.org
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andreas
>
> I'd be happy to chip in a mock-up soon, but could you do me one favour
> in advance;
>
> (I'm sorry to sound like a stubborn and difficult Designer, even
> though I am, but ...)
> could you reinstate the original extensions logo?
> ...this one:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/7/7e/ExtensionsLogo_110712NS.png
>
> I realise you modified the placement, size (and indeed the very shape)
> of the triangles to attract /attention/, and you've succeeded: but for
> some wrong reasons...
>
> The triangles are attracting "bad" attention because they are
> mis-aligned with the text (vertically).
> This is the same as when you see one street-pole bent and the others
> are intact. It isn't desirable.
> And the ability to discern the "X" created by the negative space
> between the triangles is lost when you remove the "X" from the context
> in which it would usually occur (i.e. at the same hieght as the
> neighbouring letters).
>
> Believe me, the colour-contrast will be sufficent in attracting
> attention, the size-difference right now is unnerving.
> And the inconsistencies in shape look unprofessional.
>
> Also, the sharp corners of the new triangles conflict with the soft
> corners of the document symbol nearby.
> And the radial gradient now employed doesn't suggest modularity like
> the broken conical gradient did.
>
> I'm being nit-picky. I'm sorry. I'll be quiet now.
> -Nik

Andrew Pullins Andrew Pullins

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

it looks grate, love the gradients and the motif. looks like the
same changes can be made to the Templets page as well.

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Nik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> intact. It isn't desirable.
>> And the ability to discern the "X" created by the negative space between
>> the triangles is lost when you remove the "X" from the context in which it
>> would usually occur (i.e. at the same hieght as the neighbouring letters).
>>
>> Believe me, the colour-contrast will be sufficent in attracting attention,
>> the size-difference right now is unnerving.
>> And the inconsistencies in shape look unprofessional.
>>
>> Also, the sharp corners of the new triangles conflict with the soft
>> corners of the document symbol nearby.
>> And the radial gradient now employed doesn't suggest modularity like the
>> broken conical gradient did.
>>
>> I'm being nit-picky. I'm sorry. I'll be quiet now.
>> -Nik

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi Nik,

Am Freitag, 21. Oktober 2011, 16:12:29 schrieb Nik:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> On 11.10.08 05:24, Andreas Mantke wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > the new extensions-site is in a test-mode since some weeks now. We have
> > already worked on a header graphic for the site. This is online now. But
> > maybe there are some ideas for improvements of the sites layout. I hope
> > to get some proposals / mockups from the "design-experts" here ;-)
> >
> > You can find the site here at the moment:
> > http://extensions-test.libreoffice.org
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andreas
>
> I'd be happy to chip in a mock-up soon, but could you do me one favour
> in advance;
>
> (I'm sorry to sound like a stubborn and difficult Designer, even though
> I am, but ...)
> could you reinstate the original extensions logo?
> ...this one:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/7/7e/ExtensionsLogo_110
> 712NS.png

hmm. It's easy to replace the current logo. But in my opinion the header of the site
need an eyecatcher, doesn't he? I think the visitor of the site should get very fast
an idea what the site is for. I'm not a designer and thus I'm asking here to get some
deeper insights.
(...)
> I'm being nit-picky. I'm sorry. I'll be quiet now.

I got your explanation and it's not nit-picking for me. But my question above
remains.

Regards,
Andreas

--
## Developer LibreOffice
## http://LibreOffice.org
## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi Nik, *,

Am Samstag, 22. Oktober 2011, 17:01:18 schrieb Nik:
> Hi Andreas, all,
>
> as promised, a mockup;
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:PROP_ExtensionsSite_111022NS.jpg

nice shot. I'm already thinking about the header and the logo. See my reply to your
previous mail.

> I've kept it realistic and in-line with the current site format/contents
> so that it would be easier to implement.

I need for the implementation your set of colours. Then I could look what's posible.
It would be easy to change the colour of the header. The header colour of the
donation portlet could be hard coded. I don't know yet, if it is posible to change
the colour of the button (will see). The explanation inside the donation portlet
could be moved to the top. But I placed it to the bottom, because I want to bring the
ways of donation more in foreground.

> The search box could always be moved back outside the Navbar if it
> causes hassles to implement.

I have no idea yet. I had to try out, what is currently posible.

> I envisage that the "only in current section" and other search options
> (categories) would pop up upon clicking the "plus" alongside the search
> field. Similarly, the full list of languages be made visible upon
> clicking the down-arrow next to the current language.

Hmm, I think that would cause greater changes in the code of Plone itself.

> I have more adventurous ideas, but they can wait.
>
> That gets the ball rolling. Let me know what you think.

I had to look, how much efford it is to implement the footer of the site in your
ordering. To try it out, I need first the code of the grey that you used in your
mockup.

Regards,
Andreas
--
## Developer LibreOffice
## http://LibreOffice.org
## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: Discussion about Extensions-Site-Layout

Hi everybody,

as the person who created the original version of sharp-triangled
Extensions & Templates logo (ie [1]): I absolutely second Nik's
request. If you need more of an eyecatcher, just make the entire image
(a little) larger. The current logo looks butchered badly (and it is,
given that I and later you modified Nik's good original logo).

Overall, though, the focus shouldn't be on the logo too much, but
rather on the content: a grid of newly-uploaded/curated/rave-reviewed
extensions and only two lines of text would be great.

By the way, your (Nik's) homepage proposal looks good apart from the
fact that there's still no action on the site (see above). The other
thing I don't quite understand is why there is the broken line at the
bottom (I know it's supposed to highlight the three columns below, but
with the white margins to its sides it doesn't seem to work very
well). Maybe it would be a good idea to use gradients as column
separators [2]. But that's minor.

Astron.

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/archive/e/ea/20110731204254%21Exttemplogo.png
, I later modified it into this version:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Exttemplogo.png

[2] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Bitxtnhp.jpg . I swear it
looked way better before saving as a JPEG, I hope you get the idea.

Next » 12