Do not support writing to OOXML format

1 ... 13141516 « Prev
Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Co-working with Moz, etc

I 2nd your Mac comments. What i find impressive is how they work really
well for those that like 3rd party apps like myself Thunderbird
interfaces really nicely with the other mac apps that were mentioned below.

On 1/6/11 11:47 AM, James Wilde wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2011, at 20:02 , BRM wrote:
>
>> I think such a project would have to focus really on Windows and perhaps Mac.
>> Most Linux systems use package management software, often vary different. Some
>> (e.g. gentoo) do not have a GUI interface at all.
>> And honestly, the only place this is really a problem is on Windows, with Mac as
>> a runner up.
>> I'm pretty sure there isn't an issue on any other platform.
>>
>> But as I said - it's really a project for another entity to take control of -
>> whether another project managed by TDF, or by someone else entirely, like
>> FreeDesktop.org.
> I think Ben's last comment is a good idea: put this in the hands of another project.  At first I would expect the project to be in the nature of a feasibility study.  And I'd like to suggest a slightly wider scope.
>
> On Linux the choice is between T-bird/Lightning and Evolution, and personally I've always sooner or later run into problems with Evolution.  On Windows there is whatever Microsoft now call Outlook Express.  They have an abysmal address book, but no calendar functionality included in the OS as far as I remember, and I don't think OE and Address Book work together, so here, too, there is room for T-bird/Lightning.
>
> For my own part, I'm a recent convert to the Mac, after years of being a Linux user and unwilling Windows supporter for my relatives.  On the Mac I'm impressed at the way things just _work_ together, and I don't willingly add a third party app if there is a free Apple equivalent which fills my needs.  In this respect there is Mail, iCal and Address Book, all of which interact well, and interact with everything else on the Mac.  So if TDF is going to get into looking at interacting with mail, calendar and contact functionality, I for one would like it to include the Apple apps in its study.
>
> //James

Andy Brown Andy Brown

Re: Co-working with Moz, etc

On Thu Jan 06 2011 02:28:26 GMT-0800 (PST)  Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> Shouldn't we file these wish list items somewhere and if so where?

You can always create an account on the wiki and create a list.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Main_Page  there is an area called
Crazy Ideas within the Development section of the page that should work
just fine for such ideas.

Jaime R. Garza Jaime R. Garza

Re: Co-working with Moz, etc

i think it would be great to have a HTML5 LO, which will only need a
browser. The could be installed locallz or on a server. There would only be
need for one version that supports the 4 major browsers.

At least we should start with a ODF reader, it doesn't have to be a plugin,
it can be a HTML5 application.

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 10:00, Ian Lynch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What would be better if more difficult would be to have a Writer/Calc
> plugin
> to Firefox using the extensions so you could have a WP or SS as an
> extension
> to your web browser. Since in Europe Firefox is reported to have displaced
> IE as the most popular browser that would provide an immediate route to
> lots
> of users. Google pay Mozilla to have their search as the default because of
> the number of Firefox users for a reason.

Christophe Strobbe Christophe Strobbe

Re: Co-working with Moz, etc

Hi Jaime,

At 17:52 6/01/2011, Jaime R. Garza wrote:
>i think it would be great to have a HTML5 LO, which will only need a
>browser. The could be installed locallz or on a server. There would only be
>need for one version that supports the 4 major browsers.

Are you aware of WebODF <http://www.webodf.org/>?
It was presented at the ODF Plugfest in Brussels in October last
year. See <http://lwn.net/Articles/409957/> (browse down to "ODF on the web".)
(I know it uses XHTML 1.0 Strict instead of HTML5.)

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442

Jaime R. Garza Jaime R. Garza

Re: Co-working with Moz, etc

Well for a reader is not such a big deal if it's HTML5 or nor, but if there
were a Office Suite, like Microsoft Docs & Google Docs, that should be in
HTML5! But apparently no one has started such a thing and no one seems to be
interested. IBM is working on one and Oracle is already offering one, at
least both are ODF based! I'm wondering why libre office is not interested
in developing an HTML5 complete office Suite.

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 18:15, Christophe Strobbe <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jaime,
>
> Are you aware of WebODF <http://www.webodf.org/>?
> It was presented at the ODF Plugfest in Brussels in October last year. See
> <http://lwn.net/Articles/409957/> (browse down to "ODF on the web".)
> (I know it uses XHTML 1.0 Strict instead of HTML5.)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Christophe
>

>  At least we should start with a ODF reader, it doesn't have to be a
>> plugin,
>> it can be a HTML5 application.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 10:00, Ian Lynch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> > What would be better if more difficult would be to have a Writer/Calc
>> > plugin
>> > to Firefox using the extensions so you could have a WP or SS as an
>> > extension
>> > to your web browser. Since in Europe Firefox is reported to have
>> displaced
>> > IE as the most popular browser that would provide an immediate route to
>> > lots
>> > of users. Google pay Mozilla to have their search as the default because
>> of
>> > the number of Firefox users for a reason.
>>

> --
> Christophe Strobbe
> K.U.Leuven - Dept. of Electrical Engineering - SCD
> Research Group on Document Architectures
> Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442
> B-3001 Leuven-Heverlee
> BELGIUM
> tel: +32 16 32 85 51
> http://www.docarch.be/
> Twitter: @RabelaisA11y
> ---
> "Better products and services through end-user empowerment"
> www.usem-net.eu - www.stand4all.eu
> ---
> Please don't invite me to Facebook, Quechup or other "social networks". You
> may have agreed to their "privacy policy", but I haven't.

RGB.ES RGB.ES

Re: Co-working with Moz, etc

2011/1/6 Jaime R. Garza <[hidden email]>:
> I'm wondering why libre office is not interested
> in developing an HTML5 complete office Suite.

Who told you that? An html5 app based on LibO does not exists yet,
that's clear, but that does not mean it will never be one. LibO is a
FOSS project, the only thing needed is someone with the knowledge to
start such a project (not an easy task, for sure...). Surely there
will be hands interested on helping if someone is able to put the
first bits together.
BUT: LibO is still defining its roadmap. I think it is not a good idea
to start building over something that will change in the near future.

Jaime R. Garza Jaime R. Garza

Re: Co-working with Moz, etc

Nobody told me, that's the problem, i have been asking a lot about that, and
nobody seems to be interested, nor knows anything. So that's why I'm
wondering why. I think that is the future, there will be less and less fat
client apps, and more and more browser based apps. The main reason is
interoperabilty and platform independence. With ann HTML5 Office suite, you
just need a browser, and you can even install it locally. Now LO develops
several versionsfor different platforms, which cost more resources.