Do not support writing to OOXML format

Next » 1234567 ... 16 « Prev
Paul Gress Paul Gress

Re: Do not support writing to OOXML format

On 12/31/10 05:07 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> On 30/12/10 20:41, Larry Gusaas wrote:
>>
>> On 2010/12/30 2:19 PM  Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>>> OOXML will spread anyway because MS Office 2007 and 2010 use this format by default. Nothing you can do about it I'm afraid....
>>
>> Yes you can do something about it. Don't enable writing in that format. Use PDF's for communicating. If a MS user needs to be able to modify a document, use .doc format. There is no need to use .docx format. MS Office 2008 and 2011 can still read .doc files.
>>

> None of you get the point, do you.
> 1. It is arrogant to return a document in a format different to that which was sent to you. (That's why email clients always reply in the same format in which the original message was received)

It must be arrogant for them to send you a format you don't support.  Also, if the Win 7 users don't know what format the documents are in, why does it matter if it's returned to them in a .doc format?

> 2. Changing the format may well lose formatting in the document that is not supported in the older document type.

Changing the format is inevitable.  Libreoffice and OOo converts it to ODF when it opens/imports the docx.  When you save that document as a .doc file Libreoffice and OOo simply export it to that format.  There are two conversion, opening and saving.  As I stated previously, saving to .docx will not be as accurate as saving to .doc until it matures.

> 3. .doc, .xls and .ppt  are Microsoft proprietary formats anyway - it's just that they are much easier to analyse...

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Do not support writing to OOXML format

Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote (31-12-10 13:14)
> On 31/12/10 09:30, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
>> FYI for those that aren't aware. Microsoft office 2010 supports ODF
>> format for opening and saving documents now.
>>

> So does 2007 SP2 as well. However in 2007 the opening of ods documents
> has deliberately broken formulae....don't know whether they've "fixed"
> this in 2010, or whether they even want to fix it...

(No idea if someone already answered this somewhere else in this thread,
so here I go ;-) )

MS sticks (anyway up until now) with the ISO-certified version of ODF.
In the mean time ODF evolves.
Formulae support is close to final, and for months already, there is
very little chance that there will be changes in the specs.
Even more: the formulae definitions in ODF have to a high level been
based on MS-implementations of formulae.
So MS could have made a choice to to implement close to final ODF
versions already.
For OOo and others, it is completely logic and natural to offer support
for close-to-final ODF specifications already. ODF is the native format
plus that the open source suites develop so much faster, that it would
be impractical not to implement them.

Best,
Cor

Ian Lynch Ian Lynch

On 31 December 2010 17:04, Cor Nouws <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote (31-12-10 13:14)
>
>  On 31/12/10 09:30, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
>>
>>> FYI for those that aren't aware. Microsoft office 2010 supports ODF
>>> format for opening and saving documents now.
>>>

>> So does 2007 SP2 as well. However in 2007 the opening of ods documents
>> has deliberately broken formulae....don't know whether they've "fixed"
>> this in 2010, or whether they even want to fix it...
>>

> (No idea if someone already answered this somewhere else in this thread, so
> here I go ;-) )
>
> MS sticks (anyway up until now) with the ISO-certified version of ODF.
> In the mean time ODF evolves.
> Formulae support is close to final, and for months already, there is very
> little chance that there will be changes in the specs.
> Even more: the formulae definitions in ODF have to a high level been based
> on MS-implementations of formulae.
> So MS could have made a choice to to implement close to final ODF versions
> already.
> For OOo and others, it is completely logic and natural to offer support for
> close-to-final ODF specifications already. ODF is the native format plus
> that the open source suites develop so much faster, that it would be
> impractical not to implement them.

Considering the opportunity cost of developing export filters against other
development priorities is certainly a valid consideration. Of course if it
is work sponsored by someone who would not spend it on anything else that
means there is no effective opportunity cost.

Best,

> Cor
>
> --
>  - giving openoffice.org its foundation :: The Document Foundation -

Ian

Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications
The Schools ITQwww.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wolf Halton Wolf Halton

Re: Do not support writing to OOXML format

@svenki: it is nice to know the problems with conversion are minor.  The
situation here is that the company does not have any plans to convert. They
live in a brand-named world and are preparing students for going to work in
the usa.  My main point was echoed in other posts here, that it is poor
planning to cut functionality, if we have it, and we do, to open and save in
...x formats. I had forgotten about the "extensions off by default" aspect
of Windows installations, but that makes it that much harder for core users
who have no 'cause' to understand what we prize about open formats.
You are right, this is definitely a computer-literacy issue, and it is
clouded by how operating-system GUIs are constructed. We have been
developing OSes for years with an underlying notion that core users should
not have to understand what was actually happening when they clicked their
mouse. Developers have trained core users not to care about the underlying
structure.

Wolf Halton Wolf Halton

Re: Do not support writing to OOXML format

@rgb.mldc-  if your request for a document included a format type, you might
even include a link to LO as well. My copy of OO.o opens docx, so I can't
say docx is unreadable.  Everything I run is tweaked a little, so I am not a
standard use case.
There was a long thread on one of the Linux lists to which I subscribe of
the poor taste of hr recruiters who ask for.doc versions of an applicant's
resume on a linux-focused job board. Do you think an applicant would be
considered if they sent an odf instead?

Carl Symons Carl Symons

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Paul Gress <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> One minor point here...OOo also supports writing to docx format.
>>

> I checked my OOo, dev m95 (3.4), it doesn't support save as "docx" and 3.3
> rc8 (3.3 m18) also doesn't support "docx" in save as.  What version are you
> using that supports docx?
>
>From standard Kubuntu 10.10 repositories...

OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
OOO320m19 (Build:9505)
ooo-build 3.2.1.4, Ubuntu package 1:3.2.1-7ubuntu1

Screenshot attached.

> Also, for what it's worth, saving as a docx to me is a bad idea.  I've
> imported doc files extensively in the past, straightened them out to view
> properly, saved as an odt, then saved as a doc again only to find some
> different formatting doesn't come out correctly with the doc.  I suspect
> docx will be worse.  I have got many people in the past to convert to OOo.
>  I will now promote them to Libreoffice.  I cannot move over myself as I use
> Solaris 11 Express (similar to Opensolaris) which there is no port.

Carl Symons Carl Symons

Re: Do not support writing to OOXML format

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker
<[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

> And if you are sent an OOXML document to edit and return then it's bad
> manners not to send it back in the format it was sent to you, just like it's
> bad manners to receive a plain text email and reply in HTML....

How about if I receive an HTML email and reply in plain text? If
that's a faux pas, I've been a very bad boy.

Paul Gress Paul Gress

On 12/31/10 07:50 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> The answer to ALL this nonsense is surely this.
> If you receive an OOXML document, politely reply to the sender and request that they send it in another format, explaining why.
> And BTW, the latest Open Office ALSO supports writing to OOXML format...

As I've stated previously, what version?  I have installed OOo dev 3.4 (m95) and 3.3 OOo rc8 (m18) and I can't save as a "docx".

Paul

Larry Gusaas Larry Gusaas

On 2010/12/31 12:15 PM  Carl Symons wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Paul Gress<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I checked my OOo, dev m95 (3.4), it doesn't support save as "docx" and 3.3
>> rc8 (3.3 m18) also doesn't support "docx" in save as.  What version are you
>> using that supports docx?
>>
> > From standard Kubuntu 10.10 repositories...
>
> OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
> OOO320m19 (Build:9505)
> ooo-build 3.2.1.4, Ubuntu package 1:3.2.1-7ubuntu1

That is the Go-OO derivative. OOo downloaded from the OpenOffice.org website do not write to
.docx format.

Larry
--
_________________________________
Larry I. Gusaas

Carl Symons Carl Symons

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Mark Preston <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I may inject what I hope is a little sense into this argument:-

Thank you for injecting sense into what had become entirely emotional
and irrational B^)

> A major strength of Open Office is and always was that it could read
> and often write documents in many proprietary formats. That strength
> should remain solidly a feature of Libre Office and for exactly the
> same reasons.
>
> When it comes to the Microsoft formats there is a significant issue
> with writing the formats - specifically, that even Microsoft cannot
> fully adhere to the standards they set. This is a major fault and it
> is one which Microsoft has placed into the marketplace.
>
> It leaves Libre Office with three choices when it comes to these
> formats. It can either:-
>
> 1. Write in the format as used by Microsoft.
> 2. Write in the format as specified in the ISO standard.
> 3. Refuse to write in the new formats at all.
>
> The problem with option 1 is that it is a strictly proprietary form
> which even Microsoft admits does not actually meet the open standard.
> It is therefore open to attacks using patent and other legislation if
> adopted by Libre Office.
>
> The problem with option 2 is that while it is an open standard it does
> not actually fully work with Microsoft Office and is therefore a
> pointless choice until (according to Microsoft) at least 2014.
>
> The problem with option 3 is that Libre Office would be left in the
> situation where its own files would need to be read by the ODF open
> feature in Microsoft Office, thus making Microsoft appear to be the
> ones making efforts to read "incompatible" formats. I would suggest
> that this is the very reason why Microsoft has taken this action with
> these formats.
>
> We are left, in short, with just two realistic choices. Either we
> reverse-engineer the OOXML as actually used and let Microsoft scream
> about it (as they certainly would) or we simply ignore the format for
> written documents and write them in the old "doc" format... while
> telling people clearly on the download website that this is because we
> are prevented from using the Microsoft "open" standard. Given the work
> involved in these choices, I would suggest the only realistic option
> is the latter one.

Sincere thank you for a well-reasoned and clear analysis. Better minds
than mine can decide whether or not it's complete.

The idea of requesting a document in a readable format is also useful.
Thanks to whoever in this monster thread suggested that. For the most
part, I'm exchanging documents with acquaintances (so much for trying
this trick with a recruiter who wants Word). Talking with them about
file formats is simple.

There's another dynamic at play here. Microsoft is facing a situation
where markets with big potential are choosing open source. They have
discounted MS products to near nothing to gain footholds in some of
these markets. BRIC markets (as described by IMF and The Economist)
are seen as up-and-coming. These countries--Brazil, Russia, India,
China--are making or have already made commitments to open source.
This is not good news for Microsoft. These countries represent serious
market potential.

If LibreOffice and other open source projects continue to operate as
welcoming communities with other interests than profits and growth,
then they will prosper. Some underlying principles support open source
software. These principles should inform the way that this issue and
others are resolved. Microsoft is obligated to do whatever it can to
maximize return on investments. LibO and most other true open source
projects also have stakeholders--us--who seek a different kind of
return. I want quality software with a community of users who
cooperate, where I can contribute and appreciate the contributions of
others.

Thanks again, Mark. Your message has the kind of clear thinking that I
appreciate in the open source community.

Carl Symons

Andy Brown Andy Brown

On Fri Dec 31 2010 10:53:16 GMT-0800 (PST)  Paul Gress wrote:

> On 12/31/10 07:50 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>>
>> The answer to ALL this nonsense is surely this.
>> If you receive an OOXML document, politely reply to the sender and
>> request that they send it in another format, explaining why.
>> And BTW, the latest Open Office ALSO supports writing to OOXML format...
>>

> As I've stated previously, what version?  I have installed OOo dev 3.4
> (m95) and 3.3 OOo rc8 (m18) and I can't save as a "docx".
>

> Paul

They are using the Go-oo version so that explains it.  Plain old OOo
does not have the docx save as docx ability.  If one reads the links in
the original post they will find out why.  Hint: Novell is in bed with M$.

Craig A. Eddy Craig A. Eddy

Re: Do not support writing to OOXML format

There are many times in which HTML doesn't translate correctly to a
recipient.  The lowest common denominator, then, is plain text.  That
being the case I habitually set my email reader to send in plain text.

Also, for one who uses gpg (or it's equivalent), even occasionally, the
encrypting and/or signing program automatically converts to plain text.

It isn't arrogance.  It's the need to meet the needs of the greatest
number of people.

Carl Symons Carl Symons

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2010/12/31 12:15 PM  Carl Symons wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Paul Gress<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I checked my OOo, dev m95 (3.4), it doesn't support save as "docx" and
>>> 3.3
>>> rc8 (3.3 m18) also doesn't support "docx" in save as.  What version are
>>> you
>>> using that supports docx?
>>>
>> > From standard Kubuntu 10.10 repositories...
>>
>> OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
>> OOO320m19 (Build:9505)
>> ooo-build 3.2.1.4, Ubuntu package 1:3.2.1-7ubuntu1
>
> That is the Go-OO derivative. OOo downloaded from the OpenOffice.org website
> do not write to .docx format.
>

> Larry

Until this discussion thread, I was unaware of any difference. IIRC,
this version of OOo comes standard on the Kubuntu Live/Install CD, and
updated through standard repositories. (The startup splash screen has
the Oracle logo.) Much different from a Windows installation.

Whadda mess!

Carl Symons Carl Symons

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Andy Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri Dec 31 2010 10:53:16 GMT-0800 (PST)  Paul Gress wrote:
>>
>> On 12/31/10 07:50 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>>>
>>> The answer to ALL this nonsense is surely this.
>>> If you receive an OOXML document, politely reply to the sender and
>>> request that they send it in another format, explaining why.
>>> And BTW, the latest Open Office ALSO supports writing to OOXML format...
>>>

>> As I've stated previously, what version?  I have installed OOo dev 3.4
>> (m95) and 3.3 OOo rc8 (m18) and I can't save as a "docx".
>>

>> Paul
>>

> They are using the Go-oo version so that explains it.  Plain old OOo does
> not have the docx save as docx ability.  If one reads the links in the
> original post they will find out why.  Hint: Novell is in bed with M$.

Does this mean that Go-oo is driven by Novell? The contact on
go-oo.org/about has a novell.com email address.

Andy Brown Andy Brown

On Fri Dec 31 2010 11:17:28 GMT-0800 (PST)  Carl Symons wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Andy Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>> As I've stated previously, what version?  I have installed OOo dev 3.4
>>> (m95) and 3.3 OOo rc8 (m18) and I can't save as a "docx".
>>>

>>> Paul
>>>
>> They are using the Go-oo version so that explains it.  Plain old OOo does
>> not have the docx save as docx ability.  If one reads the links in the
>> original post they will find out why.  Hint: Novell is in bed with M$.
>>

> Does this mean that Go-oo is driven by Novell? The contact on
> go-oo.org/about has a novell.com email address.

Yep.  Go back to the first message in this thread and follow the links.
  Very eye opening.

Andy

Carl Symons Carl Symons

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Andy Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri Dec 31 2010 11:17:28 GMT-0800 (PST)  Carl Symons wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Andy Brown <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> They are using the Go-oo version so that explains it.  Plain old OOo does
>>> not have the docx save as docx ability.  If one reads the links in the
>>> original post they will find out why.  Hint: Novell is in bed with M$.
>>>

>> Does this mean that Go-oo is driven by Novell? The contact on
>> go-oo.org/about has a novell.com email address.
>>

> Yep.  Go back to the first message in this thread and follow the links.
>  Very eye opening.
>
> Andy

You're right, some interesting reading there and on the links.

The Go-oo homepage also says "Going forward, the Go-oo project will be
discontinued in favor of LibreOffice." Does that mean that LibreOffice
is driven by Novell too?

Paul Gress Paul Gress

On 12/31/10 08:23 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> On 31/12/10 13:21, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>> On 31/12/10 13:17, RGB ES wrote:
>>>
>>> As someone already said, that's absolutely wrong: I have 3.3rc8 and
>>> 300m95 running here and none of them support writing to whateverX
>>> formats.
>>> Maybe you are using some go-oo derivative, but oracle's OOo do not
>>> support writing to those formats, not even the development version for
>>> 3.4.
>>>
>> Well, Open Office 3.2.1 running on Ubuntu 10.04 has a Save-As option of Office 2007 xml (docx). So i don't know what THAT is then, if it's not OOXML....
>
> And it's the ORACLE version as well.....

I just installed OOo 3.2.1 in my Windows VBox and it didn't have a save as docx.  When you select "Help > About Openoffice.org" what version does it display?

Andy Brown Andy Brown

On Fri Dec 31 2010 11:45:46 GMT-0800 (PST)  Carl Symons wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Andy Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Yep.  Go back to the first message in this thread and follow the links.
>>  Very eye opening.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> You're right, some interesting reading there and on the links.
>
> The Go-oo homepage also says "Going forward, the Go-oo project will be
> discontinued in favor of LibreOffice." Does that mean that LibreOffice
> is driven by Novell too?

What do you think?

Andy

Carl Symons Carl Symons

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Andy Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri Dec 31 2010 11:45:46 GMT-0800 (PST)  Carl Symons wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Andy Brown <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>
>>> Yep.  Go back to the first message in this thread and follow the links.
>>>  Very eye opening.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> You're right, some interesting reading there and on the links.
>>
>> The Go-oo homepage also says "Going forward, the Go-oo project will be
>> discontinued in favor of LibreOffice." Does that mean that LibreOffice
>> is driven by Novell too?
>>

> What do you think?
>
> Andy

Good question...especially as thinking sometimes gets me in trouble.

Not being privy to the Novell sale goings-on, I don't know how the
Novell/Microsoft arrangement unfolded, how much or what of the
agreements (reported on the Groklaw link, first post) between MS and
Novell are still in place, or who would be bound by them.

Based on what I've read and the actions of people associated with The
Document Foundation, I think that they are operating from true open
source principles. Further, I think that the structures put in place
around LibreOffice support an open source community.

So, pretty much not knowing what I'm talking about, I think that
LibreOffice is a valuable project worth using, supporting, caring
about. I appreciate that the LO founders jumped off into the unknown
with it.

Carl

Sveinn í Felli Sveinn í Felli

Re: Do not support writing to OOXML format

Þann fös 31.des 2010 17:04, skrifaði Paul Gress:

> On 12/31/10 05:07 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

>>> Yes you can do something about it. Don't enable writing in that
>>> format. Use PDF's for communicating. If a MS user needs to be able to
>>> modify a document, use .doc format. There is no need to use .docx
>>> format. MS Office 2008 and 2011 can still read .doc files.

Sure, but how about conservation and readability by future generations
(when there's no more Microsoft knowledge around and nobody knows
anymore how to decrypt all the nuances of.doc + .docx files) ?

---------------
> It must be arrogant for them to send you a format you don't support.
> Also, if the Win 7 users don't know what format the documents are in,
> why does it matter if it's returned to them in a .doc format?

Think you hit the nail on the head, pal.
Those who ignore any notion of a file format, will do it both ways,
always, anyways...

Best regards,

Sveinn í Felli

Next » 1234567 ... 16 « Prev