Documentation Nextcloud file organization

Dave Barton-4 Dave Barton-4

Documentation Nextcloud file organization

Hi Folks,

While uploading a reviewed chapter of the Calc Guide I looked around at
the Nextcloud folder structure (or lack thereof) and it put me in mind
of a moderately well stacked garbage dump.

I will refrain from getting back on my soapbox about the naming of the
folders, but I would like to propose that we create an "Archive" folder
within the English > Calc Guide > 6.2 path and when a
new/revised/reviewed file is added to either the "Feedback" or "Draft"
folders it's predecessor is moved to the "Archive" folder. At the moment
we have files (old and new) scattered around "Feedback" folder like
confetti.

Agreed this is a million miles/kilometers away from a real versioning
system, but at least if it ever becomes necessary to recover a previous
edit we have a known location to rummage around in. Unfortunately this
does not provide a solution to files directly edited via LOOL, unless we
can encourage contributors who wish to work this way to first save a
copy of the existing file to the "Archive" folder.

Over the coming months I am not going to be in a position to do much
revising or reviewing of guide chapters. However, now that Olivier has
taken the first step in moving the contributor guides to the wiki, I
think I may be able to spend some short periods of time working on
updating them. In which case I may be back here asking for concusses
about making changes to our workflow or other arrangements on a fairly
regular basis.

Dave

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Documentation Nextcloud file organization

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 at 03:21 Dave Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> While uploading a reviewed chapter of the Calc Guide I looked around at
> the Nextcloud folder structure (or lack thereof) and it put me in mind
> of a moderately well stacked garbage dump.
>
> I will refrain from getting back on my soapbox about the naming of the
> folders, but I would like to propose that we create an "Archive" folder
> within the English > Calc Guide > 6.2 path and when a
> new/revised/reviewed file is added to either the "Feedback" or "Draft"
> folders it's predecessor is moved to the "Archive" folder. At the moment
> we have files (old and new) scattered around "Feedback" folder like
> confetti.

I totally agree. I was going to do that, but didn’t get to it.
JJean

kees538-2 kees538-2

Jean Weber schreef op 04.06.2019 04:15:

> On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 at 03:21 Dave Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> While uploading a reviewed chapter of the Calc Guide I looked around
>> at
>> the Nextcloud folder structure (or lack thereof) and it put me in mind
>> of a moderately well stacked garbage dump.
>>
>> I will refrain from getting back on my soapbox about the naming of the
>> folders, but I would like to propose that we create an "Archive"
>> folder
>> within the English > Calc Guide > 6.2 path and when a
>> new/revised/reviewed file is added to either the "Feedback" or "Draft"
>> folders it's predecessor is moved to the "Archive" folder. At the
>> moment
>> we have files (old and new) scattered around "Feedback" folder like
>> confetti.
>

> I totally agree. I was going to do that, but didn’t get to it.
> JJean

I also think this is a good idea, so I took the liberty to make the
folder and move the old file to it.
It can easily change back if some others don't like it.
Is it also a good idea to move the files that are alreadey finished and
are in Draft?

Kind regards,
Kees

Jean Weber Jean Weber

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 3:32 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jean Weber schreef op 04.06.2019 04:15:
> > On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 at 03:21 Dave Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Folks,
> >>
> >> While uploading a reviewed chapter of the Calc Guide I looked around
> >> at
> >> the Nextcloud folder structure (or lack thereof) and it put me in mind
> >> of a moderately well stacked garbage dump.
> >>
> >> I will refrain from getting back on my soapbox about the naming of the
> >> folders, but I would like to propose that we create an "Archive"
> >> folder
> >> within the English > Calc Guide > 6.2 path and when a
> >> new/revised/reviewed file is added to either the "Feedback" or "Draft"
> >> folders it's predecessor is moved to the "Archive" folder. At the
> >> moment
> >> we have files (old and new) scattered around "Feedback" folder like
> >> confetti.
> >

> > I totally agree. I was going to do that, but didn’t get to it.
> > JJean
>
> I also think this is a good idea, so I took the liberty to make the
> folder and move the old file to it.
> It can easily change back if some others don't like it.
> Is it also a good idea to move the files that are alreadey finished and
> are in Draft?
>
> Kind regards,
> Kees

Yes, please do.
Jean

kees538-2 kees538-2

Jean Weber schreef op 04.06.2019 10:21:

> On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 3:32 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Jean Weber schreef op 04.06.2019 04:15:

>> > I totally agree. I was going to do that, but didn’t get to it.
>> > JJean
>>
>> I also think this is a good idea, so I took the liberty to make the
>> folder and move the old file to it.
>> It can easily change back if some others don't like it.
>> Is it also a good idea to move the files that are alreadey finished
>> and
>> are in Draft?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Kees
>
> Yes, please do.
> Jean
Done
Kees

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Documentation Nextcloud file organization

Howdy,

I was thinking about another way to look at the nextcloud resource.

Looking at NextCloud resource as a defined set of access links and not a
set of folders in the cloud.

I've set up an example of this using a single document project with
everything in a non shared folder.

A file (link on a wiki page perhaps) for the overview, though this could be
an entry on the shared calendar also.

Spread sheet to mark activity on files
online edit only/no download
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/YJyofYRrLxCn64w

Draft
read-only/download
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/Hw5t3LaRoRLm64t
online-edit/no download
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/LHPeMANLr3wownH

Feedback
Upload (drop box style) only
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/MGrA4T8r9dFasw2

Published (maybe, but not necessarily on NC at all given what is already
used)
Read-only/download as odt or pdf
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/adqpZ66zRFtWMsi

A Workflow then:

Review the files in the draft directory via the link.

Choose a file to make changes in and download it.

Update the activity spread sheet appropriately.

Make your changes offline with tracked changes on or off.

Name the file using the ODFAuthors naming scheme.

Upload the file to the feedback link address only (even if the file were
not renamed there is no chance of writing over an existing file)

Doc team members acting as editors for the document then need to review and
resolve the changes in the uploaded file. Best would be if the full set of
changes can be resolved then move it to the draft folder.

Now that I think replicates fairly closely the front of the ODFAuthors work
flow.

This workflow can change to offer content editors the option of working
online for small changes. If they are members of the LibreOffice
documentation team they are given access via their logon name; individuals
not part of the team can be handled by an email (or confederated from
another nextcloud server account) with a link for online only edit rights.

=====

Thinking out loud here, right before the weekly meeting.

Best wishes

Drew

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 1:45 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jean Weber schreef op 04.06.2019 10:21:

> mind

> the
> "Draft"

> >> I also think this is a good idea, so I took the liberty to make the
> >> folder and move the old file to it.
> >> It can easily change back if some others don't like it.
> >> Is it also a good idea to move the files that are alreadey finished
> >> and
> >> are in Draft?
> >>
> >> Kind regards,
> >> Kees
> >
> > Yes, please do.
> > Jean
> Done
> Kees

Dave Barton-4 Dave Barton-4

Re: Documentation Nextcloud file organization

Sorry, but I don't see this as being much like the front of the
ODFAuthors work flow and seems to add unnecessary complexity.

Remember we were pushed into the Nextcloud option for the convenience of
others who wanted to dispense with the last remaining Plone instances.
The extensions & templates Plone instance still exists and seemingly
still working well.

In my view we don't have to set up specially doctored (eg. read only)
Nextcloud folders, we only need to agree on a simple structured method
of working.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Dave