Documentation conference call

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Next » 12
davidnelson davidnelson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Documentation conference call

Hi, :-)

The "marketing team" have been holding conference calls to discuss
ideas and on-going business. I think people have found it a good way
to exchange opinions and information quickly, and have also found it a
great way to get to know each other better and develop a team spirit.
Of course, there are almost certainly people who prefer just to do
their contributing without having that kind of interaction with other
project members.

But I'd like to suggest organizing a conference call for documentation
contributors - at least as a one-time thing (we could discuss the idea
of regular or periodic conferences during the call). Some reasons for
doing this are as follows:

1) I'd like to talk to some of the more-long-standing contributors and
get a better idea of what material and resources the project already
has, and what we could usefully work on developing.

2) We could get an idea of how many active documentation contributors
there actually are in the LibO community.

3) We could talk about workflows, and try and establish who would like
to play what role(s).

4) We can discuss working rules and conventions, to help new
contributors like me get up to speed more quickly.

5) We can talk about the above more quickly than via posts to the
mailing list, and can then follow up with further development of what
we discuss, on the mailing list and on the wiki. If anyone's
interested, we can also work live on a Google Wave (I could provide a
place to do that temporarily until the project gets its own Wave
resource, and we can make the Wave public).

Any reactions about all that?

If people seem favorable, I can follow up with Florian Effenberger to
arrange for access to the Talkyoo channel, we can set up a poll to see
when the best date and time is (hopefully in the *very near* future),
and I can create a wiki page where we can work-up an agenda.

David Nelson

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Gabriel Gurley Gabriel Gurley
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

>
> But I'd like to suggest organizing a conference call for documentation
> contributors - at least as a one-time thing (we could discuss the idea
> of regular or periodic conferences during the call). Some reasons for
> doing this are as follows:
>

Hi David,

It will be interesting to see how many others respond, but I think  
that it wouldn't hurt to at least give it a try.

+1 from me.

- Gabriel

--
Gabriel Gurley
Educator and Author
Website: http://www.gabrielgurley.com/




--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

In reply to this post by davidnelson
Hi David et al

Thanks for the message. In fact many of the aspects that you speak of
are of interest to the Drupal team. We have tried as best as we can to
question and lurk in different group mailists and we still need some
information to really round out our preparation for the Drupal website
with regards to the Documentation, Marketing and Dev teams. Which
explains the post of the thread yesterday: [Drupal Documentation Needs]
Documentation Team needs and Drupal site development.

The Drupal Web Dev Team is at the point where it is looking at the
information to try to complete these 3 sections so that the transfer in
the early 2011 months is as painless and seemless as possible.

It would be nice if that thread were filled out so that we can continue
our work to prepare the Drupal "Documentation site" which will also
allow time for testing by the Documentation members.

Marc


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Jeremy Cartwright Jeremy Cartwright
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

In reply to this post by davidnelson
 > On 11/20/2010 02:40 AM, David Nelson wrote:

> Any reactions about all that?

I don't have a microphone, but would like to participate moving forward.

--
jdc

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

davidnelson davidnelson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

Hi Jeremy, :-)

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 01:27, Jeremy Cartwright <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't have a microphone, but would like to participate moving forward.

In the marketing conference calls, there were people without
microphones who were listening-in on the discussion and making
comments/contributions via the TDF IRC channel. The moderator and most
of the participants were monitoring the channel and relaying what they
said, so no microphone doesn't have to be a total showstopper for
taking part. ;-)

In any case, there may well also be people who simply don't feel
comfortable with such a public discussion, but who want to contribute
to documentation work or are already doing so.

My proposal would be that, afterwards, we would write-up the results
and information learned, and draw up a list of people already active
in or interested in documentation work. We can then carry on the
communication on the list here.

The idea would be to try and form an identifiable team, and to work on
some agreed goals and best practices.

My hope would be to have a chance for a chat with some of the veteran
contributors (such as Jean Weber Hollis, for instance), to try and
learn whatever possible from them with regard to their past experience
in OOo.

David Nelson

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Jean Weber Jean Weber
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

On Sun, 2010-11-21, David Nelson wrote:
> My hope would be to have a chance for a chat with some of the veteran
> contributors (such as Jean Weber Hollis, for instance), to try and
> learn whatever possible from them with regard to their past experience
> in OOo.

I think a conference call is a very good idea, even though it's unlikely
that a time that is convenient for others will be a time that I'm awake
and available, and I don't like voice communications much at any time.
However, I do want to pass on some of my experience to the group... in
the hope of saving others from making the same mistakes.

BTW, the name is Jean Hollis Weber. :-)
It's okay to drop the "Hollis" in casual conversation.

Cheers, Jean



--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

davidnelson davidnelson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

Hi all, :-)

With the idea of trying to find a date and time for a conference call,
that fits for people, I've set-up a poll where you can enter your
preferred dates and times.

Initially, I've proposed the dates from this coming Thursday, Nov 25,
to next Monday, Nov 29, but let me know if only other dates are OK for
you...

I'm also asking Florian if it will be possible to use the Talkyoo
channel. (If so, I'll post details about how to use it. If not, we
could also use a Skype conference.)

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 04:31, Jean Hollis Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think a conference call is a very good idea, even though it's unlikely
> that a time that is convenient for others will be a time that I'm awake
> and available, and I don't like voice communications much at any time.
> However, I do want to pass on some of my experience to the group... in
> the hope of saving others from making the same mistakes.
>
> BTW, the name is Jean Hollis Weber. :-)
> It's okay to drop the "Hollis" in casual conversation.

Jean, I'm sorry about that... My *only* excuse is that it was very
late at night... :-( I got it firmly fixed in my head now. ;-)

David Nelson

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

Hi,

David Nelson wrote on 2010-11-22 11.46:

> With the idea of trying to find a date and time for a conference call,
> that fits for people, I've set-up a poll where you can enter your
> preferred dates and times.
>
> Initially, I've proposed the dates from this coming Thursday, Nov 25,
> to next Monday, Nov 29, but let me know if only other dates are OK for
> you...
>
> I'm also asking Florian if it will be possible to use the Talkyoo
> channel. (If so, I'll post details about how to use it. If not, we
> could also use a Skype conference.)

sure, I'm happy to provide that room. Please let me know when the date
is fixed and make sure it does not collide with the SC call and the
marketing call. We have only one room. ;)

Just ping me when you know the date, then I'll send you data for the room.

Thanks!
Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Steering Committee and Founding Member of The Document Foundation
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
Skype: floeff | Twitter/Identi.ca: @floeff

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Jean Weber Jean Weber
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

In reply to this post by davidnelson
On Mon, 2010-11-22, David Nelson wrote:
> Hi all, :-)
>
> With the idea of trying to find a date and time for a conference call,
> that fits for people, I've set-up a poll where you can enter your
> preferred dates and times.
>

And this poll is where?

--Jean



--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

davidnelson davidnelson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

Hi, :-)

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 19:22, Jean Hollis Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And this poll is where?

It's true that this little detail would be a useful piece of information. :-D

The poll is here:

http://doodle.com/qq8hiysi36fhkwy4

David Nelson

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

In reply to this post by Jean Weber
Le 2010-11-22 05:46, David Nelson a écrit :

>
> I'm also asking Florian if it will be possible to use the Talkyoo
> channel. (If so, I'll post details about how to use it. If not, we
> could also use a Skype conference.)
>
I have made myself a promise to keep reminding people that using a Skype
conference meeting is not an option for those with dial-up or cellphone
hook-up. We should at least try to find options where the possibility of
participation is greatest for our membership, even those who are really
only interested in "listening in" on the meeting.

We should avoid marginalising those with slower speeds of connection.

Marc




--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

davidnelson davidnelson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

Hi Marc, all, :-)

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 03:22, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have made myself a promise to keep reminding people that using a Skype
> conference meeting is not an option for those with dial-up or cellphone
> hook-up.

It's not a problem, Florian will be giving access to the Talkyoo. I'll
be posting details in the next 48 hours. We just have to schedule it
around the SC meeting on Sunday, November 28th, 1500 UTC. (The next
marketing conference looks like it will be held much later next week.)

Just to remind you, thi poll is at:

http://doodle.com/qq8hiysi36fhkwy4

David Nelson

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

vpanter vpanter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

In reply to this post by davidnelson


Op 20/11/2010 9:40, David Nelson schreef:

> Hi, :-)
>
> The "marketing team" have been holding conference calls to discuss
> ideas and on-going business. I think people have found it a good way
> to exchange opinions and information quickly, and have also found it a
> great way to get to know each other better and develop a team spirit.
> Of course, there are almost certainly people who prefer just to do
> their contributing without having that kind of interaction with other
> project members.
>
> But I'd like to suggest organizing a conference call for documentation
> contributors - at least as a one-time thing (we could discuss the idea
> of regular or periodic conferences during the call). Some reasons for
> doing this are as follows:
>
> 1) I'd like to talk to some of the more-long-standing contributors and
> get a better idea of what material and resources the project already
> has, and what we could usefully work on developing.
>
> 2) We could get an idea of how many active documentation contributors
> there actually are in the LibO community.
>
> 3) We could talk about workflows, and try and establish who would like
> to play what role(s).
>
> 4) We can discuss working rules and conventions, to help new
> contributors like me get up to speed more quickly.
>
> 5) We can talk about the above more quickly than via posts to the
> mailing list, and can then follow up with further development of what
> we discuss, on the mailing list and on the wiki. If anyone's
> interested, we can also work live on a Google Wave (I could provide a
> place to do that temporarily until the project gets its own Wave
> resource, and we can make the Wave public).
>
> Any reactions about all that?
>
> If people seem favorable, I can follow up with Florian Effenberger to
> arrange for access to the Talkyoo channel, we can set up a poll to see
> when the best date and time is (hopefully in the *very near* future),
> and I can create a wiki page where we can work-up an agenda.
>
> David Nelson
>
Great idea. I added my hours in Doodle.

Best regards

--
Leo Moons
LibreOffice/nl

Nous sommes condamnés à être libres


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

vpanter vpanter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

In reply to this post by davidnelson


Op 20/11/2010 9:40, David Nelson schreef:

> Hi, :-)
>
> The "marketing team" have been holding conference calls to discuss
> ideas and on-going business. I think people have found it a good way
> to exchange opinions and information quickly, and have also found it a
> great way to get to know each other better and develop a team spirit.
> Of course, there are almost certainly people who prefer just to do
> their contributing without having that kind of interaction with other
> project members.
>
> But I'd like to suggest organizing a conference call for documentation
> contributors - at least as a one-time thing (we could discuss the idea
> of regular or periodic conferences during the call). Some reasons for
> doing this are as follows:
>
> 1) I'd like to talk to some of the more-long-standing contributors and
> get a better idea of what material and resources the project already
> has, and what we could usefully work on developing.
>
> 2) We could get an idea of how many active documentation contributors
> there actually are in the LibO community.
>
> 3) We could talk about workflows, and try and establish who would like
> to play what role(s).
>
> 4) We can discuss working rules and conventions, to help new
> contributors like me get up to speed more quickly.
>
> 5) We can talk about the above more quickly than via posts to the
> mailing list, and can then follow up with further development of what
> we discuss, on the mailing list and on the wiki. If anyone's
> interested, we can also work live on a Google Wave (I could provide a
> place to do that temporarily until the project gets its own Wave
> resource, and we can make the Wave public).
>
> Any reactions about all that?
>
> If people seem favorable, I can follow up with Florian Effenberger to
> arrange for access to the Talkyoo channel, we can set up a poll to see
> when the best date and time is (hopefully in the *very near* future),
> and I can create a wiki page where we can work-up an agenda.
>
> David Nelson
>
Great idea. I added my hours in Doodle.

Best regards

--
Leo Moons
LibreOffice/nl

Nous sommes condamnés à être libres


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

davidnelson davidnelson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

Hi all, :-)

I've created a wiki page [1] with more information about the planned
conference call.

Notably, you can add suggested agenda items there, or you can discuss
them in this thread beforehand.

If you're interested in taking part, please add your available time
slots to the poll at:

http://doodle.com/qq8hiysi36fhkwy4

All currently-contributing and prospective documentation workers are
enthusiastically invited!

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/ConfCalls

David Nelson

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

Le 2010-11-22 18:59, David Nelson a écrit :

> Hi all, :-)
>
> I've created a wiki page [1] with more information about the planned
> conference call.
>
> Notably, you can add suggested agenda items there, or you can discuss
> them in this thread beforehand.
>
> If you're interested in taking part, please add your available time
> slots to the poll at:
>
> http://doodle.com/qq8hiysi36fhkwy4
>
> All currently-contributing and prospective documentation workers are
> enthusiastically invited!
>
> [1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/ConfCalls
>
> David Nelson
>

Thanks David.

Will there be an mp3 and text version available afterwards just like the
Marketing confcalls?

I may sit on the sidelines if I can make it. The Drupal team will be
interested on any decisions made on infrastructure for our site
development team.

Cheers

Marc


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

davidnelson davidnelson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

Hi Marc, :-)

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 17:05, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Will there be an mp3 and text version available afterwards just like the
> Marketing confcalls?

That's uncertain and will depend on participants' express agreement.

> I may sit on the sidelines if I can make it. The Drupal team will be
> interested on any decisions made on infrastructure for our site development
> team.

I'm not *sure* that it's *possible* to get many meaningful answers
regarding that at the moment. But feel free to add it to the agenda if
you like. ;-)

Poll for participants to choose a date and time:
http://doodle.com/qq8hiysi36fhkwy4

Conference call wiki page for more info and the agenda:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/ConfCalls

David Nelson

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

In reply to this post by marcpare4
Le 2010-11-23 04:19, David Nelson a écrit :
> Hi Marc, :-)
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 17:05, Marc Paré<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Will there be an mp3 and text version available afterwards just like the
>> Marketing confcalls?
>
> That's uncertain and will depend on participants' express agreement.
>

As we have made a commitment to be a transparent organisation, I think
it would be in our interest to plan for this. This allows all of the
membership the opportunity to hear/read (also in translated form by some
groups) the proceedings of the meeting. If I am unable to attend, it
would be nice to have this.

All of the marketing proceedings are posted this way.

Marc


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

davidnelson davidnelson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

Hi, :-)

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 17:55, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As we have made a commitment to be a transparent organisation, I think it
> would be in our interest to plan for this. This allows all of the membership
> the opportunity to hear/read (also in translated form by some groups) the
> proceedings of the meeting. If I am unable to attend, it would be nice to
> have this.

It's a question that I'll ask people, but this is just an experimental
thing for the moment, and I would make people's personal privacy the
first consideration. Some of the people taking part might not actually
be into this kind of communication in general, and it will already be
an achievement to even get them online at all.

Reminder:

Poll for participants to choose a date and time:
http://doodle.com/qq8hiysi36fhkwy4

Conference call wiki page for more info and the agenda:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/ConfCalls

David Nelson

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Jean Weber Jean Weber
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation conference call

On Tue, 2010-11-23, David Nelson wrote:
>
> Conference call wiki page for more info and the agenda:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/ConfCalls
>

I just added a lengthy list of topics, probably too many to attempt to
cover in the first conference call. I may think of more later today.

--Jean


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/documentation/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Next » 12