Documents wearing out?

Eddie Janusz Eddie Janusz

Documents wearing out?

I have a to-do list in Writer that I update and save at least once a
day. I've had the same document for several months, and have probably
revised and saved it 250 times.

I have had no problem at all with it, but I'm wondering if a document
that has been used and abused that often may be prone to corruption or
damage? Should I consider cut-and-pasting the information into a blank
document on a regular schedule? Or just do the whole thing over from
scratch, also on a regular schedule?

I'm not sure I've *ever* had a LibreOffice document (Writer or Calc)
fail on me, but I'm certain I've never put one through the grinder at
this pace.

Thanks.

TomD TomD

Re: Documents wearing out?

Hi :)
It 'shouldn't do'  but what should happen and what actually happens are
often at least 2 different things.  In this case it's very unlikely to go
wrong though.

The main thing is to have a duplicate 'copy' in ODF format as a back-up in
case the file does go wonky.  Ideally either emailed to yourself, or copied
to a Cloud, or saved on a usb-stick or on a different machine or just
somewhere other than the 1 place you usually use it from.

I suspect that your file is of the type that it's already got several old
versions of itself floating around in different places already - and that
might be enough if the main up-to-date version ever does go wonky.

Between LibreOffice 3.x.x and 4.0.0 there were significant changes that
made it worth refreshing quite a lot of documents in the way you
suggested.  Ideally pasting as unformatted text or by going via a
text-editor to strip out all the cruft defunct formatting accumulated over
the years - and then reapplying styles and formatting after.

I don't think it's been needed since then.

If you bounce it around between different formats, especially if it's been
saved and re-used from a Microsoft format for MS Office 2010 or more recent
then it might well be a good idea to de-cruft it - but that is more to do
with the messiness and constantly changing "transitional" versions of it's
format used in different versions of MS Office.

If it's stayed as an Odt (or whatever) then the build-up of cruft is
unlikely to be noticeable.

Regards from
a Tom :)

On 6 August 2018 at 17:55, Eddie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a to-do list in Writer that I update and save at least once a
> day. I've had the same document for several months, and have probably
> revised and saved it 250 times.
>
> I have had no problem at all with it, but I'm wondering if a document
> that has been used and abused that often may be prone to corruption or
> damage? Should I consider cut-and-pasting the information into a blank
> document on a regular schedule? Or just do the whole thing over from
> scratch, also on a regular schedule?
>
> I'm not sure I've *ever* had a LibreOffice document (Writer or Calc)
> fail on me, but I'm certain I've never put one through the grinder at
> this pace.
>
> Thanks.

Eddie Janusz Eddie Janusz

Re: Documents wearing out?

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 18:46:15 +0100
Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
> It 'shouldn't do'  but what should happen and what actually happens
> are often at least 2 different things.  In this case it's very
> unlikely to go wrong though.
>
> The main thing is to have a duplicate 'copy' in ODF format as a
> back-up in case the file does go wonky.  Ideally either emailed to
> yourself, or copied to a Cloud, or saved on a usb-stick or on a
> different machine or just somewhere other than the 1 place you
> usually use it from.
>
> I suspect that your file is of the type that it's already got several
> old versions of itself floating around in different places already -
> and that might be enough if the main up-to-date version ever does go
> wonky.
>
> Between LibreOffice 3.x.x and 4.0.0 there were significant changes
> that made it worth refreshing quite a lot of documents in the way you
> suggested.  Ideally pasting as unformatted text or by going via a
> text-editor to strip out all the cruft defunct formatting accumulated
> over the years - and then reapplying styles and formatting after.
>
> I don't think it's been needed since then.
>
> If you bounce it around between different formats, especially if it's
> been saved and re-used from a Microsoft format for MS Office 2010 or
> more recent then it might well be a good idea to de-cruft it - but
> that is more to do with the messiness and constantly changing
> "transitional" versions of it's format used in different versions of
> MS Office.
>
> If it's stayed as an Odt (or whatever) then the build-up of cruft is
> unlikely to be noticeable.
>
> Regards from
> a Tom :)

Thanks, Tom. This document has never been anything but an .odt, so I'm
safe there. I haven't noticed the file size getting outlandishly
bulbous, either. Once in a while I make a plain-text copy, so between
that and a backup on a flash drive, it sounds like I'm safe continuing
to do what I'm doing.

Best,

Eddie

TomD TomD

Re: Documents wearing out?

Hi :)
Yep, sounds good to me :)  It is tempting fate a bit to say such a thing so
i'm crossing my fingers as i try to tpye.

Regards from
a Tom :)

On 6 August 2018 at 23:41, Eddie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 18:46:15 +0100
> Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi :)
> > It 'shouldn't do'  but what should happen and what actually happens
> > are often at least 2 different things.  In this case it's very
> > unlikely to go wrong though.
> >
> > The main thing is to have a duplicate 'copy' in ODF format as a
> > back-up in case the file does go wonky.  Ideally either emailed to
> > yourself, or copied to a Cloud, or saved on a usb-stick or on a
> > different machine or just somewhere other than the 1 place you
> > usually use it from.
> >
> > I suspect that your file is of the type that it's already got several
> > old versions of itself floating around in different places already -
> > and that might be enough if the main up-to-date version ever does go
> > wonky.
> >
> > Between LibreOffice 3.x.x and 4.0.0 there were significant changes
> > that made it worth refreshing quite a lot of documents in the way you
> > suggested.  Ideally pasting as unformatted text or by going via a
> > text-editor to strip out all the cruft defunct formatting accumulated
> > over the years - and then reapplying styles and formatting after.
> >
> > I don't think it's been needed since then.
> >
> > If you bounce it around between different formats, especially if it's
> > been saved and re-used from a Microsoft format for MS Office 2010 or
> > more recent then it might well be a good idea to de-cruft it - but
> > that is more to do with the messiness and constantly changing
> > "transitional" versions of it's format used in different versions of
> > MS Office.
> >
> > If it's stayed as an Odt (or whatever) then the build-up of cruft is
> > unlikely to be noticeable.
> >
> > Regards from
> > a Tom :)
> >

> Thanks, Tom. This document has never been anything but an .odt, so I'm
> safe there. I haven't noticed the file size getting outlandishly
> bulbous, either. Once in a while I make a plain-text copy, so between
> that and a backup on a flash drive, it sounds like I'm safe continuing
> to do what I'm doing.
>
> Best,
>
> Eddie

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Documents wearing out?

       ah, the paper age vs. the computer age  ;-)

       Although the computer's HD - even the external HDs - can wear out,
the document itself can't;
          just be sure you have this - & all others - saved, so if one
begins to fail, you're still able to continue functioning as before.

Howard Fleming Howard Fleming

After upgrading to libreoffice 6.0.6, unable to save files to samba shares

Good afternoon,

I have run into an interesting issue with a small network I maintain.

Server is CentOS with Samba services (up to date with patches and updates).

When using Libreoffice 5.x, I am able to open, create, edit and save
files on the network without any issues.

After upgrading Libreoffice to 6.0.6, anytime I go to edit an existing
file on the network, I get:

The lock file could not be created for exclusive access by LibreOffice
due to missing permission to create the lock file on that file location
or lack of free disk space.

Neither of the above conditions exist.  If I continue and open the file
as read only, when I try to save it on the network I get:

This file cannot be edited, possibly due to missing access rights. Do
you want to edit a copy of the document?

If I attempt to save the file in the same location, but with a different
file name, I get:

Error saving the document Untitled 1:  Object not accessible.  The
object cannot be access due to insufficient user rights.

If I then attempt to save the document to the local drive (C), it works
as expected.

So far in searches have not found anything referencing this issue except
for one tech document on Novell.

This ONLY affects Libreoffice, MS office on the same machine does not
have any issues.

I have rolled Libreoffice back to version 5 on one machine that having
this issue, and it opens and saves files without any issues.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Howard

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: After upgrading to libreoffice 6.0.6, unable to save files to samba shares

Hi.
I am working fine on Version: 6.0.4.2 with samba shares ok, so you could
possibly try this version.

But, from recollection this issue came up before (check nabble if your
list history does not go far enough back).
I can't remember if I altered my server or it was to do with adding
nobrl in my mounts.
steve

On 10/08/18 09:02, Howard Fleming wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> I have run into an interesting issue with a small network I maintain.
>
> Server is CentOS with Samba services (up to date with patches and
> updates).
>
> When using Libreoffice 5.x, I am able to open, create, edit and save
> files on the network without any issues.
>
> After upgrading Libreoffice to 6.0.6, anytime I go to edit an existing
> file on the network, I get:
>
> The lock file could not be created for exclusive access by LibreOffice
> due to missing permission to create the lock file on that file
> location or lack of free disk space.
>
> Neither of the above conditions exist.  If I continue and open the
> file as read only, when I try to save it on the network I get:
>
> This file cannot be edited, possibly due to missing access rights. Do
> you want to edit a copy of the document?
>
> If I attempt to save the file in the same location, but with a
> different file name, I get:
>
> Error saving the document Untitled 1:  Object not accessible.  The
> object cannot be access due to insufficient user rights.
>
> If I then attempt to save the document to the local drive (C), it
> works as expected.
>
> So far in searches have not found anything referencing this issue
> except for one tech document on Novell.
>
> This ONLY affects Libreoffice, MS office on the same machine does not
> have any issues.
>
> I have rolled Libreoffice back to version 5 on one machine that having
> this issue, and it opens and saves files without any issues.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Howard

Howard Fleming Howard Fleming

Re: After upgrading to libreoffice 6.0.6, unable to save files to samba shares

Thanks for the response.

The problem is cropping up on Windows 7 sp1 workstations (forget to add
that... ), so not sure if the nobrl option is an option in my case.

Thanks,
Howard

On 08/09/2018 06:26 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:

> Hi.
> I am working fine on Version: 6.0.4.2 with samba shares ok, so you
> could possibly try this version.
>
> But, from recollection this issue came up before (check nabble if your
> list history does not go far enough back).
> I can't remember if I altered my server or it was to do with adding
> nobrl in my mounts.
> steve
>
> On 10/08/18 09:02, Howard Fleming wrote:
>> Good afternoon,
>>
>> I have run into an interesting issue with a small network I maintain.
>>
>> Server is CentOS with Samba services (up to date with patches and
>> updates).
>>
>> When using Libreoffice 5.x, I am able to open, create, edit and save
>> files on the network without any issues.
>>
>> After upgrading Libreoffice to 6.0.6, anytime I go to edit an
>> existing file on the network, I get:
>>
>> The lock file could not be created for exclusive access by
>> LibreOffice due to missing permission to create the lock file on that
>> file location or lack of free disk space.
>>
>> Neither of the above conditions exist.  If I continue and open the
>> file as read only, when I try to save it on the network I get:
>>
>> This file cannot be edited, possibly due to missing access rights. Do
>> you want to edit a copy of the document?
>>
>> If I attempt to save the file in the same location, but with a
>> different file name, I get:
>>
>> Error saving the document Untitled 1:  Object not accessible. The
>> object cannot be access due to insufficient user rights.
>>
>> If I then attempt to save the document to the local drive (C), it
>> works as expected.
>>
>> So far in searches have not found anything referencing this issue
>> except for one tech document on Novell.
>>
>> This ONLY affects Libreoffice, MS office on the same machine does not
>> have any issues.
>>
>> I have rolled Libreoffice back to version 5 on one machine that
>> having this issue, and it opens and saves files without any issues.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Howard

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: After upgrading to libreoffice 6.0.6, unable to save files to samba shares

You might try creating a odt on C drive.  Copy to your server and then
see if it opens.
Also, in Windows, check the permissions comparing LibreOffice 5 to 6
created documents.
I assume that since 5 worked on the server, the linux permissions are
correct.

Hope this helps

On 8/9/2018 5:02 PM, Howard Fleming wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> I have run into an interesting issue with a small network I maintain.
>
> Server is CentOS with Samba services (up to date with patches and
> updates).
>
> When using Libreoffice 5.x, I am able to open, create, edit and save
> files on the network without any issues.
>
> After upgrading Libreoffice to 6.0.6, anytime I go to edit an existing
> file on the network, I get:
>
> The lock file could not be created for exclusive access by LibreOffice
> due to missing permission to create the lock file on that file
> location or lack of free disk space.
>
> Neither of the above conditions exist.  If I continue and open the
> file as read only, when I try to save it on the network I get:
>
> This file cannot be edited, possibly due to missing access rights. Do
> you want to edit a copy of the document?
>
> If I attempt to save the file in the same location, but with a
> different file name, I get:
>
> Error saving the document Untitled 1:  Object not accessible.  The
> object cannot be access due to insufficient user rights.
>
> If I then attempt to save the document to the local drive (C), it
> works as expected.
>
> So far in searches have not found anything referencing this issue
> except for one tech document on Novell.
>
> This ONLY affects Libreoffice, MS office on the same machine does not
> have any issues.
>
> I have rolled Libreoffice back to version 5 on one machine that having
> this issue, and it opens and saves files without any issues.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Howard

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: After upgrading to libreoffice 6.0.6, unable to save files to samba shares

Hi.
Are the files stored in the samba share  to be shared with others.
I remember when this issue occurred before I modified my share that
resulted in a loss of ownership of the files on the share. I.e. I forced
ownership to a share specific owner and group.
This may have been 7 years ago searching back.

I also see a couple of bugs on bugzilla that may relate, this looks the
closest.
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=115747

steve

On 11/08/18 03:22, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:

> You might try creating a odt on C drive.  Copy to your server and then
> see if it opens.
> Also, in Windows, check the permissions comparing LibreOffice 5 to 6
> created documents.
> I assume that since 5 worked on the server, the linux permissions are
> correct.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> On 8/9/2018 5:02 PM, Howard Fleming wrote:
>> Good afternoon,
>>
>> I have run into an interesting issue with a small network I maintain.
>>
>> Server is CentOS with Samba services (up to date with patches and
>> updates).
>>
>> When using Libreoffice 5.x, I am able to open, create, edit and save
>> files on the network without any issues.
>>
>> After upgrading Libreoffice to 6.0.6, anytime I go to edit an
>> existing file on the network, I get:
>>
>> The lock file could not be created for exclusive access by
>> LibreOffice due to missing permission to create the lock file on that
>> file location or lack of free disk space.
>>
>> Neither of the above conditions exist.  If I continue and open the
>> file as read only, when I try to save it on the network I get:
>>
>> This file cannot be edited, possibly due to missing access rights. Do
>> you want to edit a copy of the document?
>>
>> If I attempt to save the file in the same location, but with a
>> different file name, I get:
>>
>> Error saving the document Untitled 1:  Object not accessible. The
>> object cannot be access due to insufficient user rights.
>>
>> If I then attempt to save the document to the local drive (C), it
>> works as expected.
>>
>> So far in searches have not found anything referencing this issue
>> except for one tech document on Novell.
>>
>> This ONLY affects Libreoffice, MS office on the same machine does not
>> have any issues.
>>
>> I have rolled Libreoffice back to version 5 on one machine that
>> having this issue, and it opens and saves files without any issues.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Howard

Howard Fleming Howard Fleming

Re: After upgrading to libreoffice 6.0.6, unable to save files to samba shares

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info, it may be something along these lines.  I will look
into it further.

The bug below is the same problem I am running into.  It is only a
problem on LO 6.x and above.

There is no problem saving the same file on the local drive.

Cheers,
Howard