Donations ?

Harold Fuchs Harold Fuchs

Donations ?

I just noticed that the TDF "Donations" web page at
http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/  gives bank account details
for something called "Openoffice.org Deutschland e.V."

Does this mean the money goes to Oracle?

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

André Schnabel André Schnabel

Re: Donations ?

Hi Harold,

> Von: Harold Fuchs <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: [tdf-discuss] Donations ?

> I just noticed that the TDF "Donations" web page at
> http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/  gives bank account
> details
> for something called "Openoffice.org Deutschland e.V."
>
> Does this mean the money goes to Oracle?

No, definately not.

"Openoffice.org Deutschland e.V." is a German non-profit founded by
German community members about 6 years ago. OOoDeV is actually
hosting most of our infrastructure, pays legal fees and handles some
of the assets (like domain names, trademark). It will hand over
the collected donations and assets to the foundation, as soon as this
is astablished as a legal entity.

hope that helps,

André
--
GMX DSL Doppel-Flat ab 19,99 &euro;/mtl.! Jetzt auch mit

Volker Merschmann Volker Merschmann

Re: Donations ?

2010/10/12 Harold Fuchs <[hidden email]>:
> I just noticed that the TDF "Donations" web page at
> http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/  gives bank account details
> for something called "Openoffice.org Deutschland e.V."
>
> Does this mean the money goes to Oracle?

No!

I think you mixed the actual organisational form of Oracle in Europe
which is "BV" (a company form from the Netherlands) with the german
"e.V.".
The latter is a non-profit and "Openoffice.org Deutschland e.V."
collects the money until the TDF is founded at full form.

Bye

Volker

--
++ Volker Merschmann - ODF-Software Contributor

Harold Fuchs Harold Fuchs

Re: Donations ?

On 12 October 2010 12:38, Volker Merschmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2010/10/12 Harold Fuchs <[hidden email]>:
> > I just noticed that the TDF "Donations" web page at
> > http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/  gives bank account
> details
> > for something called "Openoffice.org Deutschland e.V."
> >
> > Does this mean the money goes to Oracle?
> >
> No!
>
> I think you mixed the actual organisational form of Oracle in Europe
> which is "BV" (a company form from the Netherlands) with the german
> "e.V.".
> The latter is a non-profit and "Openoffice.org Deutschland e.V."
> collects the money until the TDF is founded at full form.
>
> Bye
>
> Volker
>

> --
> ++ Volker Merschmann - ODF-Software Contributor

It was the "openoffice.org" name that led me astray. I thought that was a
name owned by Oracle and therefore ...

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England
Please do *not* reply to my personal e-mail address

elcico2001 एल्चिको elcico2001 एल्चिको

Re: Donations ?

Harold Fuchs ha scritto:
> I just noticed that the TDF "Donations" web page at
> http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/  gives bank account details
> for something called "Openoffice.org Deutschland e.V."
>
> Does this mean the money goes to Oracle?

Hello *,
Maybe it's a little early but...
I would suggest, as I already said to Italo Vignoli, a page on the
website to show a TDF annual financial report, like, for example, wikimedia:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Finance_report

I think transparency is a good way to show TDF is working well... and,
in my opinion, it also invites people to donate more money.
Namaste :)

--
cico
----

Bernd Glueckert Bernd Glueckert

Re: Donations ?

  hi all,

> I would suggest, as I already said to Italo Vignoli, a page on the
> website to show a TDF annual financial report, like, for example,
> wikimedia:
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Finance_report
>
> I think transparency is a good way to show TDF is working well... and,
> in my opinion, it also invites people to donate more money.
yes, thats a really good idea.

> Maybe it's a little early but...

no, i think its the rigth time for it.... lo is starting and why should
this information not online.... not only the annual report! during
startup a weekly or monthly report...

so long - bernd

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Donations ?

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 23:27 +0200, elcico2001 wrote:

> Maybe it's a little early but...
> I would suggest, as I already said to Italo Vignoli, a page on the
> website to show a TDF annual financial report, like, for example, wikimedia:
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Finance_report
>
> I think transparency is a good way to show TDF is working well... and,
> in my opinion, it also invites people to donate more money.
> Namaste :)

+1

I have been asking for this from the OpenOffice.org community council
for many years, with no results. I don't like to give money if I don't
know where it's going. I hope The Document Foundation will do better. I
don't expect auditing, but I do expect some basic accounting.

Here is an example, from the group that handles the money raised for
OOoAuthors from sales of printed copies of the OOo user guides:
http://www.friendsofopendocument.com/newsite/?page_id=181

(Which reminds me, I should have put the January-June 2010 figures on
that website some time ago.)

--Jean

drewjensen drewjensen

Re: Donations ?

On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 22:31 +1000, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 23:27 +0200, elcico2001 wrote:
>
> > Maybe it's a little early but...
> > I would suggest, as I already said to Italo Vignoli, a page on the
> > website to show a TDF annual financial report, like, for example, wikimedia:
> >
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Finance_report
> >
> > I think transparency is a good way to show TDF is working well... and,
> > in my opinion, it also invites people to donate more money.
> > Namaste :)
>
> +1
>
> I have been asking for this from the OpenOffice.org community council
> for many years, with no results. I don't like to give money if I don't
> know where it's going. I hope The Document Foundation will do better. I
> don't expect auditing, but I do expect some basic accounting.
>
> Here is an example, from the group that handles the money raised for
> OOoAuthors from sales of printed copies of the OOo user guides:
> http://www.friendsofopendocument.com/newsite/?page_id=181

HI,

Well I a bit lost here, doesn't http://www.ooodev.org/ have to do this,
as a matter of law?

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
Harold Fuchs Harold Fuchs

Re: Donations ?

On 13 October 2010 14:54, Drew Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 22:31 +1000, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 23:27 +0200, elcico2001 wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe it's a little early but...
> > > I would suggest, as I already said to Italo Vignoli, a page on the
> > > website to show a TDF annual financial report, like, for example,
> wikimedia:
> > >
> > > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Finance_report
> > >
> > > I think transparency is a good way to show TDF is working well... and,
> > > in my opinion, it also invites people to donate more money.
> > > Namaste :)
> >
> > +1
> >
> > I have been asking for this from the OpenOffice.org community council
> > for many years, with no results. I don't like to give money if I don't
> > know where it's going. I hope The Document Foundation will do better. I
> > don't expect auditing, but I do expect some basic accounting.
> >
> > Here is an example, from the group that handles the money raised for
> > OOoAuthors from sales of printed copies of the OOo user guides:
> > http://www.friendsofopendocument.com/newsite/?page_id=181
> >

> HI,
>
> Well I a bit lost here, doesn't http://www.ooodev.org/ have to do this,
> as a matter of law?
>
> Drew

Is the difference that by law the financials must be submitted to the
relevant [government] authority but not necessarily published on the web?
It's the latter that is being requested, I think.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

sophi sophi

Re: Donations ?

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Jean Hollis Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 23:27 +0200, elcico2001 wrote:
>
>> Maybe it's a little early but...
>> I would suggest, as I already said to Italo Vignoli, a page on the
>> website to show a TDF annual financial report, like, for example, wikimedia:
>>
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Finance_report
>>
>> I think transparency is a good way to show TDF is working well... and,
>> in my opinion, it also invites people to donate more money.
>> Namaste :)
>
> +1
+1

> I have been asking for this from the OpenOffice.org community council
> for many years, with no results.

And I've been asking the same when I was at the CC with no results.
 I don't like to give money if I don't
> know where it's going. I hope The Document Foundation will do better. I
> don't expect auditing, but I do expect some basic accounting.

I agree with you and have the same expectation. Transparency is very
important for me too.

Kind regards
Sophie

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Donations ?

Hi Jean,

Jean Hollis Weber wrote (13-10-10 14:31)

>> I think transparency is a good way to show TDF is working well... and,
>> in my opinion, it also invites people to donate more money.

> I have been asking for this from the OpenOffice.org community council
> for many years, with no results. I don't like to give money if I don't

It did help. Finally we started to add some data to the council wiki.
  See
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council/Funding_And_Budgets
Do check the section at the bottom.

Regards,
Cor

  - ideas/remarks for the community council? See
    http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council

Bernd Glueckert Bernd Glueckert

Re: Donations ?

> I have been asking for this from the OpenOffice.org community council
> for many years, with no results. I don't like to give money if I don't
> know where it's going.

I've made the same experience. No answer. So I learn, that informations
in this "open project" are not so open like it can be. Why?

The more I know about the money usage in such an organisation, the
easier is it for me to ask my board of directors to support them by some
donation.

sophi sophi

Re: Donations ?

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Bernd Glueckert
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I have been asking for this from the OpenOffice.org community council
>> for many years, with no results. I don't like to give money if I don't
>> know where it's going.
>
> I've made the same experience. No answer. So I learn, that informations in
> this "open project" are not so open like it can be. Why?

I remember Jean request, but not yours sorry. Again, I've tried to get
these information displayed with no success. I really hope this will
not be the case for the Foundation. Being a member of it, I'm quite
sure we will be successful this time :)

Kind regards
Sophie

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Donations ?

Sophie Gautier wrote (13-10-10 22:27)

> I remember Jean request, but not yours sorry. Again, I've tried to get
> these information displayed with no success.

It did help. Finally we started to add some data to the council wiki.
  See
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council/Funding_And_Budgets
Do check the section at the bottom.

  - ideas/remarks for the community council? See
    http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: Donations ?

On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 22:32 +0200, Cor Nouws wrote:
> Sophie Gautier wrote (13-10-10 22:27)
>
> > I remember Jean request, but not yours sorry. Again, I've tried to get
> > these information displayed with no success.
>
> It did help. Finally we started to add some data to the council wiki.
>   See
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council/Funding_And_Budgets
> Do check the section at the bottom.

Thanks, Cor! I had stopped paying attention to CC stuff because it was
too frustrating. Good to know that things finally started happening when
I wasn't looking. :-)

--Jean