Download page: Make the 'stable' version more prominent?

Robinson Tryon Robinson Tryon

Download page: Make the 'stable' version more prominent?

Hiya,

During discussion on the QA call today, the topic of the download page
came up. We link to the 'Fresh' page from the front-page of
libreoffice.org, and while we do provide a link from the Fresh page to
the Stable version, said link is pretty small.

Thoughts on making the link to the Stable version more prominent?  (We
generally promote the Fresh version more heavily, but I do have many
users ask me about the Stable version)

Thanks,
--R

--
Robinson Tryon
LibreOffice Community Outreach Herald

elcico2001 एल्चिको elcico2001 एल्चिको

Re: Download page: Make the 'stable' version more prominent?

Il 21/04/2014 22:56, Robinson Tryon ha scritto:

> Hiya,
>
> During discussion on the QA call today, the topic of the download page
> came up. We link to the 'Fresh' page from the front-page of
> libreoffice.org, and while we do provide a link from the Fresh page to
> the Stable version, said link is pretty small.
>
> Thoughts on making the link to the Stable version more prominent?  (We
> generally promote the Fresh version more heavily, but I do have many
> users ask me about the Stable version)
>
> Thanks,
> --R

Completely agree about this; I would also add a link to download archives.
Namastè all :)

--
cico
----

Jean-Baptiste Faure Jean-Baptiste Faure

Le 21/04/2014 22:56, Robinson Tryon a écrit :

> Hiya,
>
> During discussion on the QA call today, the topic of the download page
> came up. We link to the 'Fresh' page from the front-page of
> libreoffice.org, and while we do provide a link from the Fresh page to
> the Stable version, said link is pretty small.
>
> Thoughts on making the link to the Stable version more prominent?  (We
> generally promote the Fresh version more heavily, but I do have many
> users ask me about the Stable version)

My proposition:
1/ on the home page, have 2 buttons "Download fresh version" and
"Download stable version". The buttons could be colored differently.
2/ on each download page, have a link "Fresh/Stable version: what does
mean" to a page where the difference is explained. This link should be
in front of the title LibreOffice Fresh / Stable, above "Main installer".

Best regards.
JBF

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Download page: Make the 'stable' version more prominent?

I strongly advocate against it; it would only create more confusion and continue into the storyline that fresh=unstable and stable=good.

No one puts an older software branch in front of the more recent branch. Does MS Office advertise MS Office 2010? :-)

Best,
Charles.

On 21 avril 2014 22:56:07 CEST, Robinson Tryon <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hiya,
>
>During discussion on the QA call today, the topic of the download page
>came up. We link to the 'Fresh' page from the front-page of
>libreoffice.org, and while we do provide a link from the Fresh page to
>the Stable version, said link is pretty small.
>
>Thoughts on making the link to the Stable version more prominent?  (We
>generally promote the Fresh version more heavily, but I do have many
>users ask me about the Stable version)
>
>Thanks,
>--R
>
>--
>Robinson Tryon
>LibreOffice Community Outreach Herald
>Senior QA Bug Wrangler
>The Document Foundation
>[hidden email]
>
>--
>deleted

Robinson Tryon Robinson Tryon

Re: Download page: Make the 'stable' version more prominent?

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM, Charles-H. Schulz
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I strongly advocate against it; it would only create more confusion and
> continue into the storyline that fresh=unstable and stable=good.

Hmm.. perhaps the word "stable" is problematic in this situation. If
we call the branch with less churn 'stable,' that does imply something
about the stability of other branches that are under more active
development.

> No one puts an older software branch in front of the more recent branch.
> Does MS Office advertise MS Office 2010? :-)

Good point, although I think our situation might be a bit different. Consider:

* We push updates to the LO 'stable' branch. Does Microsoft push the
same kinds of updates to Office 2010?

* (I believe) we recommend our 'stable' branch for enterprise
deployment. Does Microsoft recommend Office 2010 for enterprise
deployment?

In some ways this might just boil down to the question of: "What's our
use case for the 'stable' branch?"

Cheers,
--R

Le 2014-04-22 09:29, Robinson Tryon a écrit :

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM, Charles-H. Schulz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I strongly advocate against it; it would only create more confusion
>> and
>> continue into the storyline that fresh=unstable and stable=good.
>
> Hmm.. perhaps the word "stable" is problematic in this situation. If
> we call the branch with less churn 'stable,' that does imply something
> about the stability of other branches that are under more active
> development.

That is what I think too. While Stable gets the right message in a
comparison with "Fresh", the second message it sends might indeed be
that if this one's stable the other one is not.
I∕we welcome other terms, by the way. I thought about "mature"

>> No one puts an older software branch in front of the more recent
>> branch.
>> Does MS Office advertise MS Office 2010? :-)
>
> Good point, although I think our situation might be a bit different.
> Consider:
>
> * We push updates to the LO 'stable' branch. Does Microsoft push the
> same kinds of updates to Office 2010?

Absolutely, yes. They're called Service Packs.

> * (I believe) we recommend our 'stable' branch for enterprise
> deployment. Does Microsoft recommend Office 2010 for enterprise
> deployment?

There's never been a real statement on that, despite what we have
written here and there or rather, it's more a consequence than a true
choice. While MS may not recommend MS Office 2010, they do suggest and
understand (contrary to a lot of people faced with a LibreOffice
migration) that it starts early, with a recent branch,through a pilot
project for upgrade or migration . Just like with MS Office, LibreOffice
gets tested, and in the interim, not only has this branch of LibreOffice
received more recent versions (the x.x.2,3,4,5), it has also become the
older branch. It is how it works.

Now MS may not recommend MS Office 2010, but they certainly, in
practice, encourage enterprise deployments that come with Service Packs
and not the most recent release. Same goes with the ongoing migration to
Windows 7 by the way.

> In some ways this might just boil down to the question of: "What's our
> use case for the 'stable' branch?"

good point. From a purely analytical perspective - hence this is not a
use case:
- less features, more patches.
Hence: more stability. That's where it becomes tricky, reminding
everyone that:
- Fresh: same patches, more features... hence more bugs. But that's a
fact of life, not an engineering failure.

In this sense it's right for the enterprise. And then yes, that would be
the use case: a more "stable" as in "rock-solid" release. The rest of
the world can use the Fresh version, and not just "early adopters". For
goodness sake, it's an office suite, not a bleeding edge Linux distro
;-)

Best,

Charles.

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 22/04/14 03:53 AM, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :

> Le 2014-04-22 09:29, Robinson Tryon a écrit :
>> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM, Charles-H. Schulz
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I strongly advocate against it; it would only create more confusion and
>>> continue into the storyline that fresh=unstable and stable=good.
>>
>> Hmm.. perhaps the word "stable" is problematic in this situation. If
>> we call the branch with less churn 'stable,' that does imply something
>> about the stability of other branches that are under more active
>> development.
>
> That is what I think too. While Stable gets the right message in a
> comparison with "Fresh", the second message it sends might indeed be
> that if this one's stable the other one is not.
> I∕we welcome other terms, by the way. I thought about "mature"

I completely agree with Charles in that identifying our second option
for download as "LibreOffice Stable" in that "stable" does indeed seem
to signify our first choice as being "unstable". "LibreOffice Mature"
does seem to have a nice ring to it, plus it does convey the obvious
fact of that particular version's state at which it finds itself.

BTW ... "LibreOffice Fresh" is, IMO, an excellent pick in name, to the
point where I would suggest it is easily marketable as a possible brand
name if we wanted to do so; let's not change that particular name.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré