Download page

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Danishka Navin Danishka Navin
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Download page

Hi,

It would be better if we can set the dropdown menu for 'locales'  in
alphabetical order.
en-US should be in the default value but once click on the drop-down it
should list all locales in an order.

http://test.libreoffice.org/download/

--
Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://identi.ca/danishka

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download page

Hi Danishka, *,

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Danishka Navin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It would be better if we can set the dropdown menu for 'locales'  in
> alphabetical order.

Well - it is in alphabetical order, but taking the native localename
as sort-key.

> en-US should be in the default value

Sorry, don't understand what you mean. Do you mean your browser is set
to accept en-US, but it is not preselected? Or do I misunderstand?

> but once click on the drop-down it
> should list all locales in an order.

It does - *E*nglish comes after *D*eutsch, but before *I*rish for example.

The reason not to sort by iso-locale was that someone remarked that
people usually don't know what this is about.

> http://test.libreoffice.org/download/

The expandable lists below are sorted by ISO-identifier, thus when you
expand "LibreOffice, the productivity suite", then for example Mac PPC
→ Languagepacks, you'll see the list sorted by iso

If more people think it should be sorted by iso in the dropdown, I'll
change it back to sort by iso - I don't have a strong opinion on it.

ciao
Christian

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Danishka Navin Danishka Navin
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download page

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Christian Lohmaier <
[hidden email] <lohmaier%[hidden email]>>wrote:

> Hi Danishka, *,
>
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Danishka Navin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > It would be better if we can set the dropdown menu for 'locales'  in
> > alphabetical order.
>
> Well - it is in alphabetical order, but taking the native localename
> as sort-key.
>
please do not take the locale name but localcode (lang-Country)
that is the part not localized

for example;

si-LK  is the langcode for Sinhala
if we set the dropdown by order of langcode every one can see there language
as the langcode order and every lancode is redable.

according to my request Arabic, African  and Any Lang code start with 'a'
should be in top of the list.

as we all know the web site is going to be localized.
So, in the English content page default package should be English.

Hope you got my point :)



> > en-US should be in the default value
>
> Sorry, don't understand what you mean. Do you mean your browser is set
> to accept en-US, but it is not preselected? Or do I misunderstand?
>
> > but once click on the drop-down it
> > should list all locales in an order.
>
> It does - *E*nglish comes after *D*eutsch, but before *I*rish for example.
>
> The reason not to sort by iso-locale was that someone remarked that
> people usually don't know what this is about.
>
> > http://test.libreoffice.org/download/
>
> The expandable lists below are sorted by ISO-identifier, thus when you
> expand "LibreOffice, the productivity suite", then for example Mac PPC
> → Languagepacks, you'll see the list sorted by iso
>
> If more people think it should be sorted by iso in the dropdown, I'll
> change it back to sort by iso - I don't have a strong opinion on it.
>
> ciao
> Christian
>
> --
> Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]<website%[hidden email]>
> List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
> *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
>



--
Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://identi.ca/danishka

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download page

Hi Danishka, *,

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Danishka Navin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Christian Lohmaier <
> [hidden email] <lohmaier%[hidden email]>>wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Danishka Navin <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> [sorting of the languagedropdown on download-page]
> please do not take the locale name but localcode (lang-Country)
> that is the part not localized
>
> for example;
>
> si-LK  is the langcode for Sinhala
> if we set the dropdown by order of langcode every one can see there language
> as the langcode order and every lancode is redable.

But the question is: Will people know what the iso-code for their language is?

> as we all know the web site is going to be localized.
> So, in the English content page default package should be English.

The default is whatever the browser's language is, the default is not
tied to the locale of the page.
The browser's UI usually reflect the UI preference of the user,...

> Hope you got my point :)

I hope you get mine as well (for the user there should be no need to
switch to another language hopefully - if detection fails, then please
tell me so). The user definitely knows the name of the language, but
might not know the iso-code.

And for people who want to download more than one language, I suggest
to expand the list below the selection (which then is sorted by
iso-code)

In the end, it is only a small change, I hoped that other people would
post their opinion on this..

ciao
Christian

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Danishka Navin Danishka Navin
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download page

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Christian Lohmaier <
[hidden email] <lohmaier%[hidden email]>>wrote:

> Hi Danishka, *,
>
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Danishka Navin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Christian Lohmaier <
> > [hidden email] <lohmaier%[hidden email]><
> lohmaier%[hidden email]<lohmaier%[hidden email]>
> >>wrote:
> >> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Danishka Navin <[hidden email]>
> >> wrote:
> >> [sorting of the languagedropdown on download-page]
> > please do not take the locale name but localcode (lang-Country)
> > that is the part not localized
> >
> > for example;
> >
> > si-LK  is the langcode for Sinhala
> > if we set the dropdown by order of langcode every one can see there
> language
> > as the langcode order and every lancode is redable.
>
> But the question is: Will people know what the iso-code for their language
> is?
>
> > as we all know the web site is going to be localized.
> > So, in the English content page default package should be English.
>
> The default is whatever the browser's language is, the default is not
> tied to the locale of the page.
> The browser's UI usually reflect the UI preference of the user,...
>
> > Hope you got my point :)
>
>


Just write down the list in order by language code
and compare it with the existing one

understanding of the langcode is not required.

for example,

if you want to get either slovanian or sinhala you can just type 'S' then
list will move to langcodes start with Sinhala
then you can see your language is around there.

this will work for many languages.



 I hope you get mine as well (for the user there should be no need to
> switch to another language hopefully - if detection fails, then please
> tell me so). The user definitely knows the name of the language, but
> might not know the iso-code.
>

in my language Unicode is not use in every where its still promoting100%

the best solution is to remove this dropdown list and just show a a table
like in Mozilla or in OO.o
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

01 detect your systems locale and prompt relevant Libo package
if not let them to select from a table

check this out
getfirefox.com > 'Other Systems and
Languages<http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html>
'
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

>
> And for people who want to download more than one language, I suggest
> to expand the list below the selection (which then is sorted by
> iso-code)
>
> In the end, it is only a small change, I hoped that other people would
> post their opinion on this..
>
> ciao
> Christian
>
> --
> Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]<website%[hidden email]>
> List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
> *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
>
>


--
Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://identi.ca/danishka

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
davidnelson davidnelson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download page

Hi Christian, :-)

Heads-up: in the lang packs langs list, lang "my" needs an encoding
fix - the lang name shows up as little boxes...

HTH.

David Nelson

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download page

Hi David, *,

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 1:41 AM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Heads-up: in the lang packs langs list, lang "my" needs an encoding
> fix - the lang name shows up as little boxes...

You got a font installed that displays Burmese characters?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burmese_script

And I wonder that this is the only one you get little boxes :-) You
got quite good unicode coverage with your fonts then :-)

ciao
Christian

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***