Drop GTK2 support in favor of GTK3

Caolán McNamara Caolán McNamara

Drop GTK2 support in favor of GTK3

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/77405/ is my proposal to drop
LibreOffice's Gtk2 support in favor of the Gtk3 vclplug for LibreOffice
6.4. Gtk3 has been the default for quite a while and f.e. in Fedora we
dropped building Gtk2 since Fedora 30. This simplifies the ifdef maze
and drops the include gtk2 source from gtk3 versions hackery

Thorsten Behrens-6 Thorsten Behrens-6

Re: Drop GTK2 support in favor of GTK3

Caolán McNamara wrote:
> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/77405/ is my proposal to drop
> LibreOffice's Gtk2 support in favor of the Gtk3 vclplug for LibreOffice
> 6.4.

About time, yep. I just wonder if we should give it the usual
one-release-cycle deprecation warning?

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment
Rene Engelhard Rene Engelhard

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 09:22:17PM +0200, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Caolán McNamara wrote:
> > https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/77405/ is my proposal to drop
> > LibreOffice's Gtk2 support in favor of the Gtk3 vclplug for LibreOffice
> > 6.4.
> >
> About time, yep. I just wonder if we should give it the usual
> one-release-cycle deprecation warning?

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/6.2 already has

"Feature removal / deprecation
General
The KDE4 VCL backend is deprecated and will be removed in the next
version.

The GTK+2 VCL backend is deprecated and will be removed in a future
version."

OK, there's the difference "next" vs. "in a future", but...

Regards,

Rene

Rene Engelhard wrote:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/6.2 already has
>
> The GTK+2 VCL backend is deprecated and will be removed in a future
> version."

Ah - didn't check in older release notes; taking the caveat back
then. ;)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment
julien2412 julien2412

Re: Drop GTK2 support in favor of GTK3

Rene Engelhard wrote
> The KDE4 VCL backend is deprecated and will be removed in the next
> version.
>
> The GTK+2 VCL backend is deprecated and will be removed in a future
> version."
>
> OK, there's the difference "next" vs. "in a future", but...

So what about putting
"The GTK+2 VCL backend is deprecated and will be removed in the next
version."
in https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/6.3 ?
So perhaps less people will complain.

Julien

--
Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Dev-f1639786.html
Jan-Marek Glogowski Jan-Marek Glogowski

Am 14.08.19 um 12:03 schrieb julien2412:
> So what about putting
> "The GTK+2 VCL backend is deprecated and will be removed in the next
> version."
> in https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/6.3 ?
> So perhaps less people will complain.

People will complain anyway. They complained when we removed TDE, when
we removed KDE4 (much less) and I just had a bug report from someone
running gtk2 on LXDE, if I remember correctly.

It's easy to complain, if you don't have to do the support.

I imagine they will complain end of 2020, when qt6 will be there…
eventually. And when we drop X11 support for Wayland, but that's
probably past my lifetime.

Jan-Marek