Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Next » 12
marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

Hi Michael

I seem to be getting an error page for some reason.

http://www.wheatland.com.au/libreoffice/

I tried the login. Seems to work. It was sent to my spam bucket though.
Not sure why.

Marc


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

Le 2010-11-02 23:03, Marc Paré a écrit :

> Hi Michael
>
> I seem to be getting an error page for some reason.
>
> http://www.wheatland.com.au/libreoffice/
>
> I tried the login. Seems to work. It was sent to my spam bucket though.
> Not sure why.
>
> Marc
>
>
Thanks. Got in.

Marc


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Wheatbix Wheatbix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

In reply to this post by marcpare4
At the moment users are required to validate email and admin approval.
This will change with the Single Sign On implementation, but as it is
a development site we don't want people just wandering around inside
there.

Currently there is not much more a registered user can do, but for
those who are interested I created a dummy account-
Username: user
Password: user

Strategy moving forward. Need Input.
WIKIWIKI - http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal_Strategy
Volunteers Needed

There are some contentious issues that need to be discussed also on
the strategy page.

Michael Wheatland (Wheatbix)
www.wheatland.com.au/libreoffice

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

Le 2010-11-02 23:54, Michael Wheatland a écrit :

> At the moment users are required to validate email and admin approval.
> This will change with the Single Sign On implementation, but as it is
> a development site we don't want people just wandering around inside
> there.
>
> Currently there is not much more a registered user can do, but for
> those who are interested I created a dummy account-
> Username: user
> Password: user
>
> Strategy moving forward. Need Input.
> WIKIWIKI - http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal_Strategy
> Volunteers Needed
>
> There are some contentious issues that need to be discussed also on
> the strategy page.
>
> Michael Wheatland (Wheatbix)
> www.wheatland.com.au/libreoffice
>

Thanks Michael for the great work! Looks good.

I also sent you a note off-line.

Marc


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Wheatbix Wheatbix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

Out of interest does anyone know where I can get a SVG of the LibreOffice Logo?
I would like to have a go at creating some project artwork.

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Volker Merschmann Volker Merschmann
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

Hi Michael,

2010/11/3 Michael Wheatland <[hidden email]>:
> Out of interest does anyone know where I can get a SVG of the LibreOffice Logo?
> I would like to have a go at creating some project artwork.
>
Look at http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Logos
under "Resources"
More information on the marketing list.

Volker
--
++ Volker Merschmann - ODF-Software Contributor

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

epix epix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

In reply to this post by marcpare4
Am 03.11.2010 04:32, schrieb Marc Paré:
> Le 2010-11-02 23:03, Marc Paré a écrit :
>> I seem to be getting an error page for some reason.
>> http://www.wheatland.com.au/libreoffice/
>> I tried the login. Seems to work. It was sent to my spam bucket though.
>> Not sure why.
> Thanks. Got in.

Page not found
The requested page could not be found.

Erich


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

Hi Michael, *,

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Erich Christian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 03.11.2010 04:32, schrieb Marc Paré:
>> Le 2010-11-02 23:03, Marc Paré a écrit :
>>> I seem to be getting an error page for some reason.
>>> http://www.wheatland.com.au/libreoffice/
>
> Page not found
> The requested page could not be found.

Same here, no matter what language I choose from the dropdown.

ciao
Christian

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Wheatbix Wheatbix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

Sorry guys, I need a little more info. Can you access ANY of the site?
Or is it specific pages?
Note that not all of the site is not complete. Hence a shout out on
the wiki for volunteers.


On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Page not found
>> The requested page could not be found.
>
> Same here, no matter what language I choose from the dropdown.

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

In reply to this post by Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Le 2010-11-03 08:13, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :

> Hi Michael, *,
>
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Erich Christian<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Am 03.11.2010 04:32, schrieb Marc Paré:
>>> Le 2010-11-02 23:03, Marc Paré a écrit :
>>>> I seem to be getting an error page for some reason.
>>>> http://www.wheatland.com.au/libreoffice/
>>
>> Page not found
>> The requested page could not be found.
>
> Same here, no matter what language I choose from the dropdown.
>
> ciao
> Christian
>
Hi Erich and Christian:

You have to register before seeing anything or you can also user user/user

Cheers

Marc


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

Hi *.

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Le 2010-11-03 08:13, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :
>> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Erich Christian<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Am 03.11.2010 04:32, schrieb Marc Paré:
>>>> Le 2010-11-02 23:03, Marc Paré a écrit :
>>>>>
>>>>> I seem to be getting an error page for some reason.
>>>>> http://www.wheatland.com.au/libreoffice/
>
> You have to register before seeing anything or you can also user user/user

Not very intuitive, but well.
Things noticed at first look, even before logging in:
The site uses the ugly node/<number> scheme

When logging in:
The editor doesn't provide way to insert internal URLs,
The available content types seems strange - you can create an
Extension via the site? Doubt so...
and in fact it offers just the regular blog-entry style input.
no workflow, etc.

Bottom line: I's not clear to me whats going on with this proof of
concept and the site Erich hosts - Why not combie the two and work on
a site that will actually work?
If the site at wheatland is only to show a possible structure
(navigation, what content to put under what section) of the site, then
it doesn't need to be drupal. The presentation-document did present it
just fine. After all the best concept won't work out if the people
aren't able to fill it with content, esp. when talking about video
tutorials and similar "fancy" stuff. Those need to be done really,
really well, otherwise you can easily be flagged as unprofessional.

If the site is about to show off drupal's features, then IMHO there is
no point in working on two seperate installations, that will then have
different editors, different feel for the user.

To me it now looks like a split effort

So please work together on *one* drupal demo/prototype, please don't
create drupal instances here and there that all lack basic
functionality, differ in basic concepts.

ciao
Christian

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Karl-Heinz Gödderz Karl-Heinz Gödderz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

In reply to this post by Wheatbix
Michael Wheatland schrieb:
> Currently there is not much more a registered user can do, but for
> those who are interested I created a dummy account-
> Username: user
> Password: user
>  
Hi,
it worked. what rights are given to user? can you install second user
with (restricted) adminrights?
in this state user can see all revisions of a page. is this wanted? as a
mere user I would like to see only the up-to-date version or am I wrong
with this?

best regards

Karl-Heinz

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

In reply to this post by Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Le 2010-11-03 11:29, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :

> Not very intuitive, but well.
> Things noticed at first look, even before logging in:
> The site uses the ugly node/<number>  scheme
>
> When logging in:
> The editor doesn't provide way to insert internal URLs,
> The available content types seems strange - you can create an
> Extension via the site? Doubt so...
> and in fact it offers just the regular blog-entry style input.
> no workflow, etc.
>
> Bottom line: I's not clear to me whats going on with this proof of
> concept and the site Erich hosts - Why not combie the two and work on
> a site that will actually work?
> If the site at wheatland is only to show a possible structure
> (navigation, what content to put under what section) of the site, then
> it doesn't need to be drupal. The presentation-document did present it
> just fine. After all the best concept won't work out if the people
> aren't able to fill it with content, esp. when talking about video
> tutorials and similar "fancy" stuff. Those need to be done really,
> really well, otherwise you can easily be flagged as unprofessional.
>
> If the site is about to show off drupal's features, then IMHO there is
> no point in working on two seperate installations, that will then have
> different editors, different feel for the user.
>
> To me it now looks like a split effort
>
> So please work together on *one* drupal demo/prototype, please don't
> create drupal instances here and there that all lack basic
> functionality, differ in basic concepts.
>
> ciao
> Christian
>

Wow, Christian, thank you for the constructive criticism. It is nice to
see that we can all work in a collegial atmosphere.

We were given from 3-6 months to work on a site and so far we have
constructed in less that 3-4 days:

* a very rough in Drupal site at http://www.parEntreprise.ca
* another rough in site on Erich's site
* a more involved site outgrown from discussions with various groups on
mailists (http://www.wheatland.com.au/libreoffice/)
* a Drupal Development Wiki page
(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website#Drupal_Development)
* created a Website Achritectrue and Structure page
(https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=0Ad3nEslnhQO_ZGZzZjUzYmpfNzZjd3pycDc1eg&hl=en&authkey=CJ7D4fkE)
* a more investigative approach with the document team and offers to
conference with team members and take stock of their "best wishes" for a
Drupal support site (documentation mailist)
* there is now a Drupal Strategy Wiki page identifying time lines; areas
of importance thus far for site development and "contentious decisions)
(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal_Strategy)
* Drupal Proof of Concept Wiki page
(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal_Proof_of_Concept)
* a Wiki page where busy Drupal Team Members are organising their roles
within the Drupal development
(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal)
* a Drupal Wiki page for module assessment/testing and establishing
member roles
(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal_Modules#Documentation_framework)
* we are presently investigating better communications method to the
Drupal Team (Florian has been made aware of this and we may ask him for
a mailist/forum/nntp etc later after our discussion) --
(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal)

And this is only the start. We presently have a membership of 13 people
on the Drupal Website Team (everyone if free to join and participate);
we also have an offer from a Drupal Website dev. company and we are
looking at their offer or paticipation and the generous conditions of
only having some kind of recognition of their help on the LibO site --
Florian may have to take this to the SC for a closer look)

I am quite proud of the amount of cooperation that I have seen in many
groups and find that this group, again, exemplifies very well what
should be a cooperative and collaborative group.

Yes, there will be hiccups along the way but we will get it right for
all stakeholders and keep listening to other suggestions in order to
deliver a well-thought-out and productive home for "The Document
Foundation" and "LibreOffice".

Many thanks for your words of wisdom and we will certainly try our best
to correct any oversights that you may have pointed out.

Marc


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

Hi Marc,

sarcasm and communication in written from doesn't get along well.

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Le 2010-11-03 11:29, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :
>> [...]
>> So please work together on *one* drupal demo/prototype, please don't
>> create drupal instances here and there that all lack basic
>> functionality, differ in basic concepts.
>
> Wow, Christian, thank you for the constructive criticism. It is nice to see
> that we can all work in a collegial atmosphere.

I don't understand why you think this wasn't constructive or why it is
not a collecial advice.

> We were given from 3-6 months to work on a site and so far we have
> constructed in less that 3-4 days:
>
> * a very rough in Drupal site at http://www.parEntreprise.ca

Yet another one! Why?

> [...]
> I am quite proud of the amount of cooperation that I have seen in many
> groups and find that this group, again, exemplifies very well what should be
> a cooperative and collaborative group.

Everyone setting up their own drupal site is /not/ collaboration. That
is everything doing his/her own thing.

If you cannot give an explanation, why there are 4 drupal sites
necessary, why it would make sense to use four different sites, I
stick with my opinion: It is a waste of efforts and time.

I really don't get the point of all this. I clearly understand the
motivation behind Eirch's site (i.e. a site where people can get shell
access to install plugins, stuff, etc). But again: Why so many others?

And yes, despite 13 drupal people working on it, the basic
functionality is not usable. So 3 Month isn't that much if in one
month there isn't even a usable editor component!

> Many thanks for your words of wisdom and we will certainly try our best to
> correct any oversights that you may have pointed out.

Well, sorry for being the asshole here, but I wrote about the basics
so many times and it is very frustrating that despite so many people
working on it, the results still lack that basic functionality.
Instead people come with new ideas (what is perfectly fine), but
instead of improving what is already there, implementing those new
ideas in an existing site, just create another copy that then has to
be configured from scratch again, they create a new site that suffers
from all those annoyances that have been mentioned over and over and
over and over and over again.

ciao
Christian

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Carlos Jenkins Carlos Jenkins
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

Hi Christian,

2010/11/3 Christian Lohmaier
<[hidden email]<lohmaier%[hidden email]>
>

> Hi Marc,
>
>  Instead people come with new ideas (what is perfectly fine), but
> instead of improving what is already there, implementing those new
> ideas in an existing site, just create another copy that then has to
> be configured from scratch again,
>
+1
I've also said we need to focus and organize. I can only say to you, please
wait and be patient. We are on the right way :) Also, please, implement the
Silverstripe site and, when a more advanced Drupal site, ready to be tested
and not some proof of concept for specific "internal group" tasks
is announced we will very happy to hear about your observations.

Cheers

--
http://www.cjenkins.net/
http://csl-tec.softwarelibrecr.org/

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Wheatbix Wheatbix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

>Everyone setting up their own drupal site is /not/ collaboration. That
>is everything doing his/her own thing.
>
>If you cannot give an explanation, why there are 4 drupal sites
>necessary, why it would make sense to use four different sites, I
>stick with my opinion: It is a waste of efforts and time.

Christian,
Your suggested negatives are the very core of rapid prototyping,
Drupal is VERY easy to set up quickly and it is often easier to
demonstrate ideas you are talking about. If we all just did what we
wanted to some official installation it would be a giant mess and not
well integrated across the site.

I don't think we are yet at the stage where we should be constructing
the final draft of the drupal site, it has really only been a few days
yet. We need to get the structure right and that will involve more
prototyping probably. Sorry.

Also, In any organisation, voluntary or not it is not, it is not
acceptable to call peoples work "A waste of efforts and time". People
have worked very hard on creating these resources which will be used
in building a final site. If you don't understand it, just say that.

Marc,
Brilliant summary of the efforts going on around the Drupal
development. This type of communication and effort combined with the
structure of the WIKI should allow us to get it right the first time
when we do get an official Drupal development site when the new server
is set up.

All,
May I suggest www.libreoffice.org/drupal for the official development site.
Can it be hosted on the new CMS server?
We will need to decide quickly who needs what permissions. May I
suggest that the official devel site has all permissions for 'auth
user' and none for 'unauth user' initially, this would allow us to
start constructing but stop people looking at an unfinished product
and disapproving.

I have not seen any community collaboration on SilverLight yet, is
there a possibility we may have to step up to the plate and launch
sooner or is SL being built without community collaboration?

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Wheatbix Wheatbix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

Cross Post from documentation@libreoffice.org

Jeff Prater:
I am a member of the JoomlArt template club--I'm more than happy to donate a
Drupal template if you guys want one.

http://www.joomlart.com/drupal/themes
Rimas Kudelis Rimas Kudelis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

In reply to this post by Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
2010.11.03 17:29, Christian Lohmaier rašė:
> The site uses the ugly node/<number>  scheme

Just wondering: is it at all possible to avoid node/<number> URLS for
news/blog articles in Drupal? It seems like canonical.com has this
feature, but it's weird that it's not Drupal's default. Shame...

Rimas


--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Wheatbix Wheatbix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

Drupal has a module called path and pathauto which do exactly that,
but there is still the underlying node number scheme.
It is pretty easy to implement, which I did for the english version of
the site, I am a little inexperienced with i18n, so there are some
issues that I am sure someone can tackle.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Rimas Kudelis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010.11.03 17:29, Christian Lohmaier rašė:
>>
>> The site uses the ugly node/<number>  scheme
>
> Just wondering: is it at all possible to avoid node/<number> URLS for
> news/blog articles in Drupal? It seems like canonical.com has this feature,
> but it's weird that it's not Drupal's default. Shame...
>
> Rimas
>
>
> --
> E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to
> unsubscribe
> List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
> All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>
>

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Carlos Jenkins Carlos Jenkins
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drupal test site -- Proof of concept

In reply to this post by Rimas Kudelis
2010/11/4 Rimas Kudelis <[hidden email]>

> 2010.11.03 17:29, Christian Lohmaier rašė:
>
>  The site uses the ugly node/<number>  scheme
>>
>
> Just wondering: is it at all possible to avoid node/<number> URLS for
> news/blog articles in Drupal? It seems like canonical.com has this
> feature, but it's weird that it's not Drupal's default. Shame...
>

Yes, no problem. Please check this e-mail I wrote some weeks ago.

As Michael said, the pathauto module allow to define patterns for automatic
URL naming of content types.

Cheers

--
http://www.cjenkins.net/
http://csl-tec.softwarelibrecr.org/

--
E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/website/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Next » 12