EPS images in ODF documents

Next » 12
Magnus Johansson Magnus Johansson

EPS images in ODF documents

Hello! I write books containing a lot of EPS images. When I have tried to use
OpenOffice I have not been satisfied with the rendition of the inserted EPS
images. Is LibreOffice better than OpenOffice in this respect?

Regards,
Magnus Johansson

RGB.ES RGB.ES

Re: EPS images in ODF documents

It is not. During edition you can only see the raster preview (when
available). But you can still use eps images on Writer without too
much problems: you just need not to use the native pdf export. Use a
postscript printer driver to print to a file instead, and then convert
that postscript file to pdf using, for example, ghostscript.

2011/1/28 Magnus Johansson <[hidden email]>:

> Hello! I write books containing a lot of EPS images. When I have tried to use
> OpenOffice I have not been satisfied with the rendition of the inserted EPS
> images. Is LibreOffice better than OpenOffice in this respect?
>
> Regards,
> Magnus Johansson

Fernand Vanrie Fernand Vanrie

Re: EPS images in ODF documents

Magnus ,
No difference between LO and OO sofar
Using EPS is in fact not a problem, at condition you start from EPS with
a build in lowres "preview" .
EPS without preview is not "shown' in a document but when printed (using
a postscript printer) like PDF etc.. the Highres images will be in the
PDF document  for RGB and CMYK as well.
When using the direct PDF output in LO or OO then the lowres images will
been in the PDF document, what is still a issue for LO and OO PDF creation.

Hope it helps as a workaround ?

Fernand

PS: Trye to convince your Publisher, Printer not to use EPS anymore,
Postcript has had is best day's, using a RGB workflow with Hyres
RGB-images ( Tif or jpg) in your  Documents, is far more simpeler with
same quality outcome.

See my response at http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/EPS-images-in-ODT-documents-td2369889.html.

I deleted the original post in this thread and replaced it with the one in the link, but it seems not to have worked.
Magnus Johansson Magnus Johansson

Re: EPS images in ODF documents

Thank you, Fernand, for your reply. However, I have not been able to get better EPS images by printing to a PDF file. The problem is not coupled to PDF export, although OOo's built-in PDF export is not very good either. The problem is the poor quality of the inserted EPS images in the actual ODT document, both on screen and on print-out.

Regarding using another format than EPS: For image creation I use an application that can only export to EPS.
Sveinn í Felli Sveinn í Felli

Re: EPS images in ODF documents

On 01/30/2011 09:47 AM, skrifaði Magnus Johansson:

> Thank you, Fernand, for your reply. However, I have not been able to get
> better EPS images by printing to a PDF file. The problem is not coupled to
> PDF export, although OOo's built-in PDF export is not very good either. The
> problem is the poor quality of the inserted EPS images in the actual ODT
> document, both on screen and on print-out.
>
> Regarding using another format than EPS: For image creation I use an
> application that can only export to EPS.

Magnus,

Your EPS-files, are they mostly vector graphics or bitmapped ?

EPS can act as a container for both, but with different
"best practices" (Fernand described what I'd do if I had an
EPS with a high-res TIFF, vector content is another story).

Best regards
Sveinn í Felli

Jean-Baptiste_Faure Jean-Baptiste_Faure

Le 30/01/2011 10:47, Magnus Johansson a écrit :
> Thank you, Fernand, for your reply. However, I have not been able to get
> better EPS images by printing to a PDF file. The problem is not coupled to
> PDF export, although OOo's built-in PDF export is not very good either. The
> problem is the poor quality of the inserted EPS images in the actual ODT
> document, both on screen and on print-out.
>
> Regarding using another format than EPS: For image creation I use an
> application that can only export to EPS.
Hi,

PDF export of EPS images exports the preview. If you want a good result
you may want insert an high resolution preview in your EPS image.
Using linked pictures instead of inserted pictures make easier to work
with low resolution previews during edition and high resolution preview
when your doc is finished and you want make a beautiful pdf.

Try that: Defines two sets of EPS pictures, one with low resolution
preview and the second with high resolution. Make a symbolic link to the
first one with a generic name. Link yours EPS images using the path to
the symbolic link. To have high resolution preview in your doc, remake
the symbolic link to the second one and reload your doc.

Best regards
JBF

Halló Sveinn, and thanks for your reply. I don't know if my EPS images are vector graphics or bitmapped. How can I find out?

Salut Jean-Baptiste, and thank you for your response. How do I insert a high resolution preview in my EPS images? I do not know how to manipulate the EPS files themselves, I just insert the result I get from the other program into OOo and the ODT document.
mgagnonlv mgagnonlv

Le 2011-01-30 07:10, Magnus Johansson a écrit :
> Salut Jean-Baptiste, and thank you for your response. How do I insert a high
> resolution preview in my EPS images? I do not know how to manipulate the EPS
> files themselves, I just insert the result I get from the other program into
> OOo and the ODT document.

Magnus,

All eps files are not created equal, so it's hard to find a single
software that would open all eps files and do wonders with it.

What eps softwares do you have access to? In the free world, Gimp will
do wonders with the few eps files it opens successfully. For a more
universal conversion, you could try Illustrator or Photoshop ($$$). All
these will convert your file in a tiff or jpeg file at the resolution
you want. Do it at 150-300 dpi and you will get great printouts.

I haven't tried LibreOffice on that, but OpenOffice 3.2.x didn't work
well, on Windows, with eps files that have patterns or fonts in them.

--

Michel Gagnon – [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Montréal (Québec, Canada) – mgagnon.net <http://mgagnon.net>

todd rme todd rme

Re: EPS images in ODF documents

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Magnus Johansson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Salut Jean-Baptiste, and thank you for your response. How do I insert a high
> resolution preview in my EPS images? I do not know how to manipulate the EPS
> files themselves, I just insert the result I get from the other program into
> OOo and the ODT document.

This is particularly necessary in impress, since printing to a pdf is
not really an option.

-Todd

RGB.ES RGB.ES

Re: EPS images in ODF documents

Many times I successfully converted/fixed problematic eps files using
inkscape: they are opened as vector graphics and you can modify them
and export to almost any format (eps included...)

Le 30/01/2011 13:10, Magnus Johansson a écrit :
> Salut Jean-Baptiste, and thank you for your response. How do I insert a high
> resolution preview in my EPS images? I do not know how to manipulate the EPS
> files themselves, I just insert the result I get from the other program into
> OOo and the ODT document.
Hi Magnus,

Here is a script I did for Linux to convert a PS into a EPS file and
include a preview in this EPS.

> #conversion d'un ensemble de fichiers ps en eps
> #addition d'une image de prévisualisation dans les fichiers eps créés
> # conversion ps -> eps
>
> ls *.ps > list
> for i in `cat list`
>     do
>         echo  \>\>\>\>\> traitement de "$i"
>         ps2eps -f -R + "$i"
>     done
> exit
> #addition de la preview en 72 et 600 dpi
> ls *.eps > list
> #exemple : epstool -t6p --dpi 600 *.eps ../eps_files/
> for i in `cat list`
>     do
>         echo \>\>\>\>\> traitement de "$i"
>         epstool -t6p --dpi 72 "$i" ./images_72/"$i"
>         epstool -t6p --dpi 600 "$i" ./images_600/"$i"
>     done

Best regards.
JBF

NoOp NoOp

On 01/30/2011 04:01 AM, Magnus Johansson wrote:

> Halló Sveinn, and thanks for your reply. I don't know if my EPS images are
> vector graphics or bitmapped. How can I find out?

This discussion is probably better over on the libereoffice user list -
that way you might find more answers.

I've had success importing an .eps (it was originally an .svg that was
exported to .eps from Inkscape). If you can save a few pages of your
document and send to me directly I'll be happy to test in LO Stable
(RC4) and OOo 3.3.0 on linux & WinXP and Win7. I can also test with
OOo3.2.1 on linux (I'm not sure if I have any OOo3.2.x in the archives
for Win). Send to glgxg @ sbcglobal.net (note: I'll most likely not
respond until tomorrow (my time).

Gary

Added note: I can post the eps file that I used for testing, but think
that this should be on the user list rather than the discuss list.

Magnus Johansson Magnus Johansson

Re: EPS images in ODF documents

I have made two test files with the kind of EPS images I work with. I put the test together with OOo in the ODT document and then printed a PDF file of that document with CUPS-PDF; I hope I managed to upload and attach them here properly. With the files I want to show my problem and that is the poor quality of the EPS images in the ODT document. The resulting PDF file is on the contrary very good; it is e.g. better than if I had made the original document in DOC format in Microsoft Word. But the ODT file that I work with when writing my texts and books has such poor EPS illustrations that I cannot rely on them for quick controls of what they contain.

Regards,
Magnus

EPS_Image_Test_1.odtEPS_Image_Test_1.pdf
Fernand Vanrie Fernand Vanrie

Re: EPS images in ODF documents

Magnus ,

Your document contains EPS images with a lowres preview. OO or LO
"shows" only this preview.The poor quality is due to the lowres (72x72)
pixels per inch.

OO or LO can NOT show eps images.

Ok, so far the bad news, if you want to "see" hig quality in your LO doc
, then you need to transfer the pictures to the OO-draw-vector format
and copy from there to your Writzer Doc.

open your picture with Gview ( Opensource)
Convert in Gview to EPS, save.
Open the new saved EPS in OO-draw and copy the picture from draw into
your Writer Document

When now making a PDF you will see that some parts of your picture (text
and notations) have a "lower" quality than the original EPS output.

You can also following a other work flow, with no loss of quality.

Start opening your orginal pictures in Gview, export a to a pixel
format, who has better results in your Writer Doc.

Insert this pixelformats as "linked" file in your writer doc.

Befor printing, change your "pixelformat_link" to the original
"epsfile_link" ( can ealy been done with a macro when using some naming
conventions)

Hope it helps a bit

Fernand

Thank you, Fernand, for your suggestions. However, from my point of view I would rather have OOo or LO perform at the level of Microsoft Word when it comes to inserted EPS's instead of making the user do extra work. Isn't it feasible to have EPS show in ODT documents at a higher resolution while retaining the earlier good result in the PDF file?

On 1/02/2011 13:11, Magnus Johansson wrote:
> Thank you, Fernand, for your suggestions. However, from my point of view I
> would rather have OOo or LO perform at the level of Microsoft Word when it
> comes to inserted EPS's instead of making the user do extra work.
I do not know is MS office can show EPS vector graphics in there
documents without using a Raster Preview in the EPS pictures?
>   Isn't it
> feasible to have EPS show in ODT documents at a higher resolution while
Iit al depends on how your originals EPS pictures are made, when using
more pixels you automaticly have a better preview and bigger files !
> retaining the earlier good result in the PDF file?
when the PDF is made with the Postscript output, then its using the
vector graphic parts of the picture not the preview !

Greetz

Fernand

Magnus Johansson Magnus Johansson

Re: EPS images in ODF documents

Fernand: "when the PDF is made with the Postscript output, then it's using the
vector graphic parts of the picture not the preview!"

OK, I see; then I would simply like to request a better preview. I understand the file size of the ODT document goes up, but I would prefer that instead of the current situation. It would be interesting to find out how small an improvement in preview resolution would yield an enough good result for me. Are you a programmer, Fernand? May I ask you to look into this?
Fernand Vanrie Fernand Vanrie

Re: EPS images in ODF documents

Magnus ,

No programmer skils needed here:

- dowload GSview
- open a EPS picture with GSview
- Change the "MEDIA" "Diplay settings" to 500 dpi and use 24 bits/pixel
- goto "FILE" and convert PS to EPS who ask for a new file name (the
helpinfo explains the whole thing)
- trie to import the new file in LO and check the difference in Previeuw
quality when not OK then trie other Display settings

Hope it helps

Ferna    nd

> Fernand: "when the PDF is made with the Postscript output, then it's using
> the
> vector graphic parts of the picture not the preview!"
>
> OK, I see; then I would simply like to request a better preview. I
> understand the file size of the ODT document goes up, but I would prefer
> that instead of the current situation. It would be interesting to find out
> how small an improvement in preview resolution would yield an enough good
> result for me. Are you a programmer, Fernand? May I ask you to look into
> this?

Next » 12