EasuHacks spring cleanup

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

EasuHacks spring cleanup

Hi,

So looking at the EasyHacks, I'd suggest the following actions:

- make the queries on:
  https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks/lists/by_Required_Skill
  https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks/lists/by_Difficulty
  https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks/lists/by_Topic
  exclude easyHacks in state NEEDINFO

- update EasyHack docs to encourage mentees to set an issue to NEEDINFO, if it
  doesnt seem actionable to them

- check open easyHacks with Bug IDs < 40000:
  https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=PLEASETEST&f1=bug_id&keywords=easyHack%2C%20&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=587248&o1=lessthan&product=LibreOffice&query_format=advanced&resolution=---&v1=40000
  those were mostly the EasyHack I copied over from the wiki, thus I am the
  reporter although for most of them, I dont want to mentor them. Checking them
  should include:
  - since this one is open since before 2011-09, why isnt this solved? If its
    neither easy nor interesting but actionable, remove the easyHack tag.
  - otherwise is there a mentor explicitly named? -> if not, set them to NEEDINFO

- look at the 99 easyHacks with more than 10 comments:
  These have to be highly daunting to newcomers.
  Unless these are all commit notifications, either remove the easyHack tag, or:
  - open a new easyHack consolidating all the info from the back an forth in the comments
  - close the old easyHack with a link to the new one in "see also:"

The goal of all of this is to focus newcomers on our best EasyHacks, instead of
letting them wade though lots of rotten ones.

Lets discuss in the ESC call (or on this list, if you cant join), if any of
that is controversial.

Best,

Bjoern
jan iversen jan iversen

Re: EasuHacks spring cleanup

> - make the queries on:
>  https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks/lists/by_Required_Skill
>  https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks/lists/by_Difficulty
>  https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks/lists/by_Topic
>  exclude easyHacks in state NEEDINFO
I am working at combining the new "step by step" guide with the getInvolved page, so we only have 1 page but with the combined info.

NEEDINFO should really be excluded, and also if the bug is assigned to someone.

> - check open easyHacks with Bug IDs < 40000:
>  https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=PLEASETEST&f1=bug_id&keywords=easyHack%2C%20&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=587248&o1=lessthan&product=LibreOffice&query_format=advanced&resolution=---&v1=40000
>  those were mostly the EasyHack I copied over from the wiki, thus I am the
>  reporter although for most of them, I dont want to mentor them. Checking them
>  should include:
>  - since this one is open since before 2011-09, why isnt this solved? If its
>    neither easy nor interesting but actionable, remove the easyHack tag.
>  - otherwise is there a mentor explicitly named? -> if not, set them to NEEDINFO
Is this already done ?

> - look at the 99 easyHacks with more than 10 comments:
>  These have to be highly daunting to newcomers.
>  Unless these are all commit notifications, either remove the easyHack tag, or:
>  - open a new easyHack consolidating all the info from the back an forth in the comments
>  - close the old easyHack with a link to the new one in "see also:"
Is this already done ?

> The goal of all of this is to focus newcomers on our best EasyHacks, instead of
> letting them wade though lots of rotten ones.
Could not agree more. However I can see a lot of work has been made the last couple of days, so I am unsure what is really outstanding.

rgds
jan i

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 09:16:58AM +0100, jan iversen wrote:
> Is this already done ?
nope

> Is this already done ?
nope

> Could not agree more. However I can see a lot of work has been made the last
> couple of days, so I am unsure what is really outstanding.

That was Michael Stahl and me finding other bits and pieces along the way ;) --
not the stuff mentioned above.

Best,

Bjoern