EasyHack on EasyHacks

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

EasyHack on EasyHacks

Hi all,

Our "EasyHacks" page here:

 http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks

is quite a mess by now as we have so many of them. Also I dont think it
is very inviting to newcomers. An really important "EasyHack" -- that
does not even require elite programming skills would be to split that
page into multiple topics, so that contributors can find something for
their skillset. A possible splitup would be:

- Infrastructure (skills: bug trackers, mailinglists, web stuff)
- build system (skills: perl, scripting, building)
- testing (skill: build, tools like valgrind)
- code cleanup (skills: beginners C++)
- UI improvements (skills: C++)

Any volunteers?

Best Regards,

Bjoern

--
https://launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen

Nuno J. Silva Nuno J. Silva

Re: EasyHack on EasyHacks

Bjoern Michaelsen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Our "EasyHacks" page here:
>
>  http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks
>
> is quite a mess by now as we have so many of them. Also I dont think it
> is very inviting to newcomers. An really important "EasyHack" -- that
> does not even require elite programming skills would be to split that
> page into multiple topics, so that contributors can find something for
> their skillset. A possible splitup would be:
>
> - Infrastructure (skills: bug trackers, mailinglists, web stuff)
> - build system (skills: perl, scripting, building)
> - testing (skill: build, tools like valgrind)
> - code cleanup (skills: beginners C++)
> - UI improvements (skills: C++)
>
> Any volunteers?

I made an attempt to split it under my user pages,
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Njsg/EasyHacksIndex

It is based on the Easy Hacks page as of 2011-03-29T13:52:51
(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Development/Easy_Hacks&oldid=18812).

It needs some cleanup (empty lines and empty sections), which I'll now
do. I should also change heading levels so that the root ones are the
top level, but for now I didn't change that, to keep the text blocks
unchanged.

Although it lists these skill sets you pointed out, some tasks (maybe
most of them?) require other skills -- I tried to group tasks based on
what each list is about, but there's probably some room for improvement.

I hope this is helpful.

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

Re: EasyHack on EasyHacks

Hi Nuno,

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:43:27 +0100
[hidden email] (Nuno J. Silva) wrote:

> Bjoern Michaelsen <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Our "EasyHacks" page here:
> >
> >  http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks
> >
> > is quite a mess by now as we have so many of them. [...]
> > Any volunteers?
>
> I made an attempt to split it under my user pages,
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Njsg/EasyHacksIndex

Looking great IMHO!

> It is based on the Easy Hacks page as of 2011-03-29T13:52:51
> (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Development/Easy_Hacks&oldid=18812).
>
> It needs some cleanup (empty lines and empty sections), which I'll now
> do. I should also change heading levels so that the root ones are the
> top level, but for now I didn't change that, to keep the text blocks
> unchanged.
>
> Although it lists these skill sets you pointed out, some tasks (maybe
> most of them?) require other skills -- I tried to group tasks based on
> what each list is about, but there's probably some room for
> improvement.

Sure, that was just a very rough proposal. Improvements are much
appreciated.

> I hope this is helpful.

It is. Anyone vetoing Nunos great work? Opinions?
(I am hoping for a lot of +1s here for your effort.)

Best Regards,

Bjoern

--
https://launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen

Michael Meeks Michael Meeks

Re: EasyHack on EasyHacks

On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 22:51 +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> Hi Nuno,

        First - great work :-) and good to have you helping out here Nuno.

        Second - this is a page of incredible importance to developers, and as
such - any changes to it need to be discussed and decided on the
developer list.

        Thirdly - I'd like to see it changed only after more thought, and I am
out tomorrow so can't be involved in that.

> > I made an attempt to split it under my user pages,
> > http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Njsg/EasyHacksIndex
>
> Looking great IMHO!

        Personally I dislike pages that fragment and hide the information I'm
looking for behind some high-latency switch-tab / middle-click /
re-load-page stuff. They also tend to make it much harder to search
within that category quickly (ctrl-F style), now I have to do
ctrl-F/alt-N/switch-tab/ctrl-F/alt-N/alt-N/switch-tab/ctrl-F etc. etc.

        I agree the information is not as cleanly structured as it could be;
and that perhaps a separate index to the same data might be good (though
it might also have maintenance problems). Possibly just re-structuring
that page would help.

> It is. Anyone vetoing Nunos great work? Opinions?
> (I am hoping for a lot of +1s here for your effort.)

        IMHO the discuss list is the wrong venue for any number of +1s when it
comes to developer focused marketing / infrastructure.

        I'm also fairly convinced that at a first approximation sorting by
easy-ness is what people most want when they hit that thing; rather than
by more vague categories. Then again - if we have -enough- tasks in each
of the categories perhaps it could be made to fly, but ... needs
thought.

        I'd also like to hear from some of our new developers that liked that
page - again, on the dev list.

        HTH,

                Michael.

Norbert Thiebaud Norbert Thiebaud

Re: [Libreoffice] [tdf-discuss] Re: EasyHack on EasyHacks

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Michael Meeks <[hidden email]> wrote:

>        I'd also like to hear from some of our new developers that liked that
> page - again, on the dev list.

The easy hack page has hugely grown since I started. I guess that is a
good thing, but in my opinion it's current form is not very practical
nor inviting.

I think that grouping easy-hack by 'nature' and then by difficulty do
make sense. Difficulty is a very subjective measure,
and something that is a 'easy gui hack' for someone may be a daunting
task for someone else... when I was parsing this
list I would first look at the title, then the skill required and
_then_ the degree of difficulty announced - mostly to
verify my first impression based on the previous 2 items.
So, I do like the 'nature' oriented classification proposed, but maybe
we could keep a one line overview of each task with a link for a
dedicated page per task
That way, a given task can be expended with as much information as
needed without flooding the main page, including volunteer's progress
report, declaration of intent and/or
questions/answer section to clarify the task if need be.

That way the main page still give a global overview of all easy-hack,
but become much more readable...
If the task are limited, on the main page to a one-liner, then the ToC
doesn't have to be 3 pages long....

Norbert

Gukk_Devel Gukk_Devel

Am 29.03.2011 23:24, schrieb Norbert Thiebaud:

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Michael Meeks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>        I'd also like to hear from some of our new developers that liked that
>> page - again, on the dev list.
>>
> The easy hack page has hugely grown since I started. I guess that is a
> good thing, but in my opinion it's current form is not very practical
> nor inviting.
>
> I think that grouping easy-hack by 'nature' and then by difficulty do
> make sense. Difficulty is a very subjective measure,
> and something that is a 'easy gui hack' for someone may be a daunting
> task for someone else... when I was parsing this
> list I would first look at the title, then the skill required and
> _then_ the degree of difficulty announced - mostly to
> verify my first impression based on the previous 2 items.
> So, I do like the 'nature' oriented classification proposed, but maybe
> we could keep a one line overview of each task with a link for a
> dedicated page per task
> That way, a given task can be expended with as much information as
> needed without flooding the main page, including volunteer's progress
> report, declaration of intent and/or
> questions/answer section to clarify the task if need be.
>
> That way the main page still give a global overview of all easy-hack,
> but become much more readable...
> If the task are limited, on the main page to a one-liner, then the ToC
> doesn't have to be 3 pages long....
>
> Norbert

just a question: Is there a database in the wiki? in this case could we
build a table with the necessary variables and display the tasks by
selection of skills and difficulty?

Regards
Karl-Heinz

Robert Derman Robert Derman

Karl-Heinz Gödderz wrote:

> Am 29.03.2011 23:24, schrieb Norbert Thiebaud:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Michael Meeks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>        I'd also like to hear from some of our new developers that liked that
>>> page - again, on the dev list.
>>>

>> The easy hack page has hugely grown since I started. I guess that is a
>> good thing, but in my opinion it's current form is not very practical
>> nor inviting.
>>
>> I think that grouping easy-hack by 'nature' and then by difficulty do
>> make sense. Difficulty is a very subjective measure,
>> and something that is a 'easy gui hack' for someone may be a daunting
>> task for someone else... when I was parsing this
>> list I would first look at the title, then the skill required and
>> _then_ the degree of difficulty announced - mostly to
>> verify my first impression based on the previous 2 items.
>> So, I do like the 'nature' oriented classification proposed, but maybe
>> we could keep a one line overview of each task with a link for a
>> dedicated page per task
>> That way, a given task can be expended with as much information as
>> needed without flooding the main page, including volunteer's progress
>> report, declaration of intent and/or
>> questions/answer section to clarify the task if need be.
>>
>> That way the main page still give a global overview of all easy-hack,
>> but become much more readable...
>> If the task are limited, on the main page to a one-liner, then the ToC
>> doesn't have to be 3 pages long....
>>
>> Norbert

Discuss is the only list that I am subscribed to, and I am not sure if
this is the proper list for this, but I do have one idea for what might
be called an easy hack,  perhaps it is already there, I don't know.  But
here goes.

As we all know the spellcheck dictionary at least in the English
version, to use English slang SUCKS!  it is almost totally devoid of
compound words and as such I feel that it makes a very bad impression on
new users, and most particularly businesses and professional users.  My
idea is that a number of us users could perhaps send in our own personal
dictionaries to which we have had to add thousands of compound words,
and with a bit of editing these could be combined and added to the
current woefully inadequate word list.

Another easy hack would be to add a little work to the default form of
the Autocorrect function, things like to change monday to Monday.  a few
hours of such work to the Autocorrect could turn it into a fairly
adequate grammar checker, or perhaps more accurately, grammar
correcter.  If these are already listed in easy hacks, someone please
point me there, and if not, show me how to add them.

Nuno J. Silva Nuno J. Silva

Re: EasyHack on EasyHacks

Michael Meeks <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 22:51 +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
>> Hi Nuno,
>
> First - great work :-) and good to have you helping out here Nuno.

Thanks :-)

> Second - this is a page of incredible importance to developers, and as
> such - any changes to it need to be discussed and decided on the
> developer list.
>
> Thirdly - I'd like to see it changed only after more thought, and I am
> out tomorrow so can't be involved in that.

I'll try to keep the split draft up-to-date, while playing around with
the structure.

All in this "sandbox", of course. I agree this should only be changed if
people agree, and after being sure it is actually better this way.

>> > I made an attempt to split it under my user pages,
>> > http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Njsg/EasyHacksIndex
>>
>> Looking great IMHO!
>
> Personally I dislike pages that fragment and hide the information I'm
> looking for behind some high-latency switch-tab / middle-click /
> re-load-page stuff. They also tend to make it much harder to search
> within that category quickly (ctrl-F style), now I have to do
> ctrl-F/alt-N/switch-tab/ctrl-F/alt-N/alt-N/switch-tab/ctrl-F etc. etc.

It is harder. I dislike these too :-).

> I agree the information is not as cleanly structured as it could be;
> and that perhaps a separate index to the same data might be good (though
> it might also have maintenance problems). Possibly just re-structuring
> that page would help.

This is split into several pages, but it is possible to join it again in
a single list, after all the subpages are just parts of a big list. It
is a restructuring that happened to involve splitting.

Also, maybe it is possible to have /both/ split-lists and single-list
versions.

For a quick and rough attempt, see
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Njsg/EasyHacksFullList, which
just includes the content of the split lists.

(But the headings from the split lists are messing the full list page,
hence "rough".)

The list is big, thus the idea of splitting. But, as you say,
re-structuring will probably help too. Either I misclassified many hacks
as "cleanup", or there are many of them, making the cleanup hacks list
harder to read in the same way the original list is:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Njsg/EasyHacks/cleanup

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg

*All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted*

Jan Holesovsky Jan Holesovsky

Re: [Libreoffice] [tdf-discuss] Re: EasyHack on EasyHacks

Hi Bjoern,

On 2011-03-31 at 13:35 +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:

> Why wasnt it removed on the wiki page? Because it is a
> huge pain to dig through the history of that huge page to find the
> orginial author and politely ask him, because simply removing it is
> offense. I added a ON HOLD note to the task btw.

Well - I myself am not personally attached to the Easy Hacks I added [I
do it mostly in the shoot-and-forget mode when I spot something
interesting], so I'd support the stand that removing without
confirmation is just OK if on the mailing list, there is an agreement to
do that :-)

Regards,
Kendy

*All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted*