Editing Impress Master Slides

Cuyahoga Falls Cuyahoga Falls

Editing Impress Master Slides

As a college professor, I use slide presentations daily. I have used a
variety of solutions including LaTeX/Beamer, Markdown/Slidy, and LO Impress.

Impress is obviously very full-featured and easy to use with its WYSIWYG
user interface. However, I have been bothered by what appears to be a
strange behavior in Impress.

There are times when, after creating a slide presentation with 15 to 20
slides, I find I need to edit something globally, such as the size or
shape of a text box on the slides. To do this, I go into the appropriate
Master Slide and make my changes. I then click to apply the Master Slide
to all slides, but then when I go back into the slide presentation, I
find that my changes are only applied to some, but not all of the
slides. I then find myself having to go into each slide to reapply the
same changes on a slide-by-slide basis that I had tried to apply
globally by changing the Master Slide.

I'm finding that, when working with Impress, I have to carefully design
all of my slide formatting *before* composing my content, because if I
have to change formatting later, I have no assurance that the changes
will take effect globally. This is obviously the opposite of the
behavior in LaTeX or Markdown, where the formatting can be designed at
any point in the process with predictable results.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Is this a bug, or can anyone
suggest anything I might do differently?

I am currently using LO 6.3.4.2 on Windows 10, but I have noticed this
behavior for years on a variety of LO versions on both Windows and Linux.

Virgil

mikey mikey

Re: Editing Impress Master Slides

I think what you want is "clear direct formatting." In LO 6.3 this is on
the right-click menu for each object in a page, but it doesn't show up when
you have multiple objects selected, and it doesn't show up when you select
the page on the page browser.

It would be nice if 'clear local overrides' was programmable to a key in
'customize keyboard' but I don't see it there.

On 10/24/2020 11:12 AM, Michael H wrote:
> I think what you want is "clear direct formatting." In LO 6.3 this is
> on the right-click menu for each object in a page, but it doesn't show
> up when you have multiple objects selected, and it doesn't show up
> when you select the page on the page browser.
>
> It would be nice if 'clear local overrides' was programmable to a key
> in 'customize keyboard' but I don't see it there.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't think it works on my problem.
When I right click on a text box on a slide and then click "Clear Direct
Formatting" it clears the formatting of the text itself (boldface,
italics, etc.), but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the geometry
of the text box that holds the text. When I edit a master slide, usually
what I am editing is the layout, meaning the placement and size of text
boxes on the slide. When I apply the edited master slide to all slides,
there are always some slides that don't accept the changes, while others
do.

I have tested this on several different slide presentation files,
starting from scratch in each case. I have been careful *not* to apply
any direct changes to text box geometry on individual slides before
editing the master slide. Even so, after editing the master slide, the
changes are never applied to all slides in a presentation and clicking
"Clear Direct Formatting" doesn't seem to help.

Virgil