Email more than once .doc file

Next » 12
marcpare4 marcpare4

Email more than once .doc file

A couple of users who are using LibreOffice professionally are wondering
if it was possible to email their .odt files through the
"File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" not only one at a time? There are
many occasions where they need to email to contacts but need to send
.doc formatted files.

The "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" allows emailing .odt files
into .doc without being forced to save the same file into an identical
.doc file.

They said that they would really like a function where the "Send->Email
as Microsoft Word" that would allow to do this with more than only one
file at a time.

Cheers,

Marc

"Ing. Jiří Hladůvka" "Ing. Jiří Hladůvka"

Re: Email more than once .doc file

Dne 7.5.2012 6:04, Marc Paré napsal(a):

> A couple of users who are using LibreOffice professionally are
> wondering if it was possible to email their .odt files through the
> "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" not only one at a time? There
> are many occasions where they need to email to contacts but need to
> send .doc formatted files.
>
> The "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" allows emailing .odt files
> into .doc without being forced to save the same file into an identical
> .doc file.
>
> They said that they would really like a function where the
> "Send->Email as Microsoft Word" that would allow to do this with more
> than only one file at a time.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marc

Why should be the LibO a clon from M$ Word?
There is no obstacle for the users to download and install LibO
as an alternative software for reading open document format
if the M$ apps are not able to show o.d.files correctly.

Regards,
Jiri

--
Ing. Jiří Hladůvka - REVIDA

http://www.revida.sk
mailto:[hidden email]

Tom Tom

Re: Email more than once .doc file

Hi :)
True but that doesn't help in the real world.

Is tehre any problem with just keeping the original in odt format and then do "Save As ..." to create a "doc" to share with other people?

> A couple of users who are using LibreOffice professionally are wondering if it was possible to email their .odt files through the "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" not only one at a time? There are many occasions where they need to email to contacts but need to send .doc formatted files.
>
> The "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" allows emailing .odt files into .doc without being forced to save the same file into an identical .doc file.
>
> They said that they would really like a function where the "Send->Email as Microsoft Word" that would allow to do this with more than only one file at a time.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marc

Why should be the LibO a clon from M$ Word?
There is no obstacle for the users to download and install LibO
as an alternative software for reading open document format
if the M$ apps are not able to show o.d.files correctly.

Regards,
Jiri

-- Ing. Jiří Hladůvka - REVIDA

http://www.revida.sk
mailto:[hidden email]

-- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Email more than once .doc file

Hi Jiri and Tom

Le 2012-05-07 06:18, Tom Davies a écrit :

> Hi :)
> True but that doesn't help in the real world.
>
> Is tehre any problem with just keeping the original in odt format and then do "Save As ..." to create a "doc" to share with other people?
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Jiri: Both of these people work for professional organizations where the
organizations have settled on the .docx format as their default document
format. For one of these people, installing LibreOffice at his
university is simply not an option for now. The other person works for a
large music organization that has also settled on MSO although she is
advocating LibreOffice with some sort of success, but not yet endorsed
by the organization.

Tom: Both of these people are already exporting their files in .doc or
.pdf files. The problem with this is that they now have a ton of files
that have been doubled; they are both at the admin levels of their
organizations and have very active roles in committees.

Being able to "Send" more than one file at a time would eliminate
completely the need to export physical files to hardrives.

I was thinking if LibreOffice were able to do this, then people would
grow to depend on the ODF file formats more and view any other file
format as being less important. The perception to users would be that
ODF formats are the "defacto" format and other are really "sub-formats"
to the defacto OFD formats.

Perhaps add this as a feature request?

Marc

Tom Tom

Re: Email more than once .doc file

Hi :)
+1
This link might help you post a feature request
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport

Nino Nino

On 07.05.2012 06:04, Marc Paré wrote:

> A couple of users who are using LibreOffice professionally are wondering
> if it was possible to email their .odt files through the
> "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" not only one at a time? There are
> many occasions where they need to email to contacts but need to send
> .doc formatted files.
>
> The "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" allows emailing .odt files
> into .doc without being forced to save the same file into an identical
> .doc file.
>
> They said that they would really like a function where the "Send->Email
> as Microsoft Word" that would allow to do this with more than only one
> file at a time.

Did you search for a suitable Macro? I'm not familiar with Macro
programming, but I'd suppose one could add such functionality using
OOoBasic (or is it AOOBasic now?).

Regards, Nino

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 01:31 +0200, Nino wrote:

> On 07.05.2012 06:04, Marc Paré wrote:
> > A couple of users who are using LibreOffice professionally are wondering
> > if it was possible to email their .odt files through the
> > "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" not only one at a time? There are
> > many occasions where they need to email to contacts but need to send
> > .doc formatted files.
> >
> > The "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" allows emailing .odt files
> > into .doc without being forced to save the same file into an identical
> > .doc file.
> >
> > They said that they would really like a function where the "Send->Email
> > as Microsoft Word" that would allow to do this with more than only one
> > file at a time.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Marc

Did you search for a suitable Macro? I'm not familiar with Macro
> programming, but I'd suppose one could add such functionality using
> OOoBasic (or is it AOOBasic now?).
>
> Regards, Nino

     Since LO has a Document Converter that will convert multiple Word,
Excel, and PowerPoint into their equivalent LO formats, OOoBasic should
be able to be used to convert documents in the opposite direction. The
only problem: I don't know how to do this either. Hopefully, someone on
this list does know.

--Dan

--Dan

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Email more than once .doc file

Hi Dan and Nino,

Le 2012-05-07 19:50, Dan Lewis a écrit :

> On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 01:31 +0200, Nino wrote:
>> On 07.05.2012 06:04, Marc Paré wrote:
>>> A couple of users who are using LibreOffice professionally are wondering
>>> if it was possible to email their .odt files through the
>>> "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" not only one at a time? There are
>>> many occasions where they need to email to contacts but need to send
>>> .doc formatted files.
>>>
>>> The "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" allows emailing .odt files
>>> into .doc without being forced to save the same file into an identical
>>> .doc file.
>>>
>>> They said that they would really like a function where the "Send->Email
>>> as Microsoft Word" that would allow to do this with more than only one
>>> file at a time.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Marc
>>>
> Did you search for a suitable Macro? I'm not familiar with Macro
>> programming, but I'd suppose one could add such functionality using
>> OOoBasic (or is it AOOBasic now?).
>>
>> Regards, Nino
>
>       Since LO has a Document Converter that will convert multiple Word,
> Excel, and PowerPoint into their equivalent LO formats, OOoBasic should
> be able to be used to convert documents in the opposite direction. The
> only problem: I don't know how to do this either. Hopefully, someone on
> this list does know.
>
> --Dan
>
> --Dan

Thanks for the input.

I think I'll put this in as a "feature request". I'll see if there could
be an additional function in the "Send" option so that a user could have
the choice of sending through email not only 1 document but multiple
documents. It should be available to all LibreOffice users.

I think the "Send" option is an awesome tool but that it still needs to
be tweaked for the regular production user.

Maybe a dev will decide to take up the challenge to modify the "Send"
option.

Cheers,

Marc

Gordon Burgess-Parker Gordon Burgess-Parker

Re: Email more than once .doc file

The problem with doing "Save As" is that you end up with lots of duplicate
documents in different formats - which is what happens in MS Office.
I agree with Jiri that LO shouldn't necessarily be a clone of MS Office,
but this is a function that MS Office doesn't have at ALL, so a multiple
converter would put LO even farther ahead...

Tom Tom

Re: Email more than once .doc file

Hi :)
True.  I don't have a good way around this.  I think the best route would be to post your suggestion as a feature-request but it's unlikely to be a high priority so until it's done you just have to find a work-around.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport

I tend to have quite a few versions of a document but ones made temporarily in a 'wrong' format for emailing just get deleted quite quickly because i still have the original in Odt format.

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Am 07.05.2012 06:04, Marc Paré wrote:

> A couple of users who are using LibreOffice professionally are wondering
> if it was possible to email their .odt files through the
> "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" not only one at a time? There are
> many occasions where they need to email to contacts but need to send
> .doc formatted files.
>
> The "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" allows emailing .odt files
> into .doc without being forced to save the same file into an identical
> .doc file.
>
> They said that they would really like a function where the "Send->Email
> as Microsoft Word" that would allow to do this with more than only one
> file at a time.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marc

Do the "send as MS Word" with as many ODF documents as you like. When
you are done drag all the attachments into one email and close them
without saving.

Tom Tom

Re: Email more than once .doc file

Hi :)
Sounds like Andreas uses a very nice email-client.  Mine couldn't handle it and i don't think Outlook would either.  Is Andreas using something OpenSource such as Thunderbird or Evolution or proprietary such as "The Bat!"?

Actually that might be the best way to do this.  Upgrade to something like Thunderbird and then do as Andreas suggests.

It would still be nice to have a feature-request for all those people that are stuck with some lame email-client.

James Knott James Knott

Andreas Säger wrote:
> Do the "send as MS Word" with as many ODF documents as you like. When
> you are done drag all the attachments into one email and close them
> without saving.

How do you drag the attachments?  Where do you drag them from?

James Knott James Knott

Tom Davies wrote:
> Actually that might be the best way to do this.  Upgrade to something like Thunderbird and then do as Andreas suggests.

It doesn't work on Thunderbird.

nabbler nabbler

On 07/05/2012, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A couple of users who are using LibreOffice professionally are wondering
> if it was possible to email their .odt files through the
> "File->Send->Email as Microsoft Word" not only one at a time? There are
> many occasions where they need to email to contacts but need to send
> .doc formatted files.

They should be sending them using m$. Otherwise, next you will be
complaining on behalf of your users that recipients are receiving
poorly-formatted m$ documents, which of course is _irrelevant to LO_.

> They said that they would really like a function where the "Send->Email
> as Microsoft Word" that would allow to do this with more than only one
> file at a time.

If they are professional organisations, please ask them to make a
financial donation for development of such a function.

nabbler nabbler

Re: Email more than once .doc file

> Jiri: Both of these people work for professional organizations where the
> organizations have settled on the .docx format as their default document
> format. For one of these people, installing LibreOffice at his
> university is simply not an option for now. The other person works for a
> large music organization that has also settled on MSO although she is
> advocating LibreOffice with some sort of success, but not yet endorsed
> by the organization.

The fact that these organisation chose to use m$ in instead of odf is
of their own right to do. Making their lives easier using m$ is of _no
benefit_ to LO.

> Tom: Both of these people are already exporting their files in .doc or
> .pdf files. The problem with this is that they now have a ton of files
> that have been doubled; they are both at the admin levels of their
> organizations and have very active roles in committees.

Nothing to do with LO. Are these people using LO with authorisation
from those who decided to use m$ by default? The duplication of
documents in multiple formats is entirely the responsibility of the
organisation; nothing to do with LO.

> Being able to "Send" more than one file at a time would eliminate
> completely the need to export physical files to hardrives.

They should have thought about this before deciding upon m$!

> I was thinking if LibreOffice were able to do this, then people would
> grow to depend on the ODF file formats more and view any other file
> format as being less important. The perception to users would be that
> ODF formats are the "defacto" format and other are really "sub-formats"
> to the defacto OFD formats.

Total nonsense. The only result would be: "fantastic, we can continue
to use LO as a m$ clone and increase the proliferation of m$ file
formats" Even m$ would find that scenario (m$ documents being created
by LO) preferable to an increase in quantities of odf documents being
distributed.

Lack of strategic analysis is preventing growth in the use of odf...

Tom Tom

Re: Email more than once .doc file

Hi :)
I disagree.  When people have decent software that does adequately support the ODF format people will find that it is preferable because it's better imo.  MS Office had a great excuse for using the older ODF 1.0 but ODF 1.2 has been officially released now so they will have to find some excuse for stuffing things up.

> Jiri: Both of these people work for professional organizations where the
> organizations have settled on the .docx format as their default document
> format. For one of these people, installing LibreOffice at his
> university is simply not an option for now. The other person works for a
> large music organization that has also settled on MSO although she is
> advocating LibreOffice with some sort of success, but not yet endorsed
> by the organization.

The fact that these organisation chose to use m$ in instead of odf is
of their own right to do. Making their lives easier using m$ is of _no
benefit_ to LO.

> Tom: Both of these people are already exporting their files in .doc or
> .pdf files. The problem with this is that they now have a ton of files
> that have been doubled; they are both at the admin levels of their
> organizations and have very active roles in committees.

Nothing to do with LO. Are these people using LO with authorisation
from those who decided to use m$ by default? The duplication of
documents in multiple formats is entirely the responsibility of the
organisation; nothing to do with LO.

> Being able to "Send" more than one file at a time would eliminate
> completely the need to export physical files to hardrives.

They should have thought about this before deciding upon m$!

> I was thinking if LibreOffice were able to do this, then people would
> grow to depend on the ODF file formats more and view any other file
> format as being less important. The perception to users would be that
> ODF formats are the "defacto" format and other are really "sub-formats"
> to the defacto OFD formats.

Total nonsense. The only result would be: "fantastic, we can continue
to use LO as a m$ clone and increase the proliferation of m$ file
formats" Even m$ would find that scenario (m$ documents being created
by LO) preferable to an increase in quantities of odf documents being
distributed.

Lack of strategic analysis is preventing growth in the use of odf...

Tom Tom

Re: Email more than once .doc file

For 'final' versions of documents it's best to send Pdf.  I really like the hybrid Pdf format that looks and behaves like a Pdf but if you open it with Libreoffice you can edit it because it's really an odf wrapped up to look like Pdf.

I think we should make the most of this feature to try to encourage places to start thinking about installing LibreOffice.  MSO might introduce the feature fairly soon but i don't think they are even working on it just yet.

Check out Simon Phipp's YouTube video, as linked to from the Documentation's wiki-page.

Am 08.05.2012 14:18, James Knott wrote:
> Tom Davies wrote:
>> Actually that might be the best way to do this. Upgrade to something
>> like Thunderbird and then do as Andreas suggests.
>
> It doesn't work on Thunderbird.

I can do it with Thunderbird 11.

Am 08.05.2012 14:15, James Knott wrote:
> Andreas Säger wrote:
>> Do the "send as MS Word" with as many ODF documents as you like. When
>> you are done drag all the attachments into one email and close them
>> without saving.
>>

> How do you drag the attachments? Where do you drag them from?

Thunderbird shows the attachment of a new mail in a square box in the
top-right corner of the window. From there you can drag into the same
box of another mail.

Next » 12