Enhancement for outline numbering

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Enhancement for outline numbering

Hi.
I never really got my head around outline numbering in Writer and always
seemed to muck it up.
I've finally done myself a howto reminder and wondered if any flaw can
be seen in some enhancements I was going to put on bugzilla.

Outline numbering works with styled paragraphs. The position of the
numbering is controlled in outline numbering.
2 simple suggestions for an enhancement to avoid making changes in the
wrong place are;

assuming menus are context aware, when you right click in an outline
numbered paragraph
-Make Paragraph.... Paragraph Style... and open the style for editing.
-Make Bullets and Numbering..... Chapter Numbering.... and open
Tools>Chapter Numbering....

Interestingly, if I right click on the number of the outline numbered
paragraph and select Character, modifying the character attributes
modifies the character style for the number, as I feel would be good for
the 2 items above.

Cheers, steve

jorge Rodríguez Fonseca jorge Rodríguez Fonseca

Re: Enhancement for outline numbering

Hi Steve:

         Would you please tell to this e-mail list what version of
LibreOffice do you use ?

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

El 21/03/2018 a las 14:46, Steve Edmonds escribió:

> Hi.
> I never really got my head around outline numbering in Writer and
> always seemed to muck it up.
> I've finally done myself a howto reminder and wondered if any flaw can
> be seen in some enhancements I was going to put on bugzilla.
>
> Outline numbering works with styled paragraphs. The position of the
> numbering is controlled in outline numbering.
> 2 simple suggestions for an enhancement to avoid making changes in the
> wrong place are;
>
> assuming menus are context aware, when you right click in an outline
> numbered paragraph
> -Make Paragraph.... Paragraph Style... and open the style for editing.
> -Make Bullets and Numbering..... Chapter Numbering.... and open
> Tools>Chapter Numbering....
>
> Interestingly, if I right click on the number of the outline numbered
> paragraph and select Character, modifying the character attributes
> modifies the character style for the number, as I feel would be good
> for the 2 items above.
>

> Cheers, steve

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Enhancement for outline numbering

Hi Jorge.
Version: 5.4.5.1
Build ID: 40m0(Build:1)

Regards,
Steve Edmonds

On 22/03/18 12:53, jorge Rodríguez wrote:

> Hi Steve:
>
>         Would you please tell to this e-mail list what version of
> LibreOffice do you use ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Rodríguez
>

> El 21/03/2018 a las 14:46, Steve Edmonds escribió:
>> Hi.
>> I never really got my head around outline numbering in Writer and
>> always seemed to muck it up.
>> I've finally done myself a howto reminder and wondered if any flaw
>> can be seen in some enhancements I was going to put on bugzilla.
>>
>> Outline numbering works with styled paragraphs. The position of the
>> numbering is controlled in outline numbering.
>> 2 simple suggestions for an enhancement to avoid making changes in
>> the wrong place are;
>>
>> assuming menus are context aware, when you right click in an outline
>> numbered paragraph
>> -Make Paragraph.... Paragraph Style... and open the style for editing.
>> -Make Bullets and Numbering..... Chapter Numbering.... and open
>> Tools>Chapter Numbering....
>>
>> Interestingly, if I right click on the number of the outline numbered
>> paragraph and select Character, modifying the character attributes
>> modifies the character style for the number, as I feel would be good
>> for the 2 items above.
>>

>> Cheers, steve

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: Enhancement for outline numbering

I have always disliked the way LO works with outlining. It requires one
to partially control his paragraph through styles and partially through
direct outline numbering. It always frustrates me, so much that, when I
need to quickly create an effective outline, I just use LyX instead. It
just works.

Virgil

On 03/21/2018 07:53 PM, jorge Rodríguez wrote:

> Hi Steve:
>
>         Would you please tell to this e-mail list what version of
> LibreOffice do you use ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Rodríguez
>

> El 21/03/2018 a las 14:46, Steve Edmonds escribió:
>> Hi.
>> I never really got my head around outline numbering in Writer and
>> always seemed to muck it up.
>> I've finally done myself a howto reminder and wondered if any flaw
>> can be seen in some enhancements I was going to put on bugzilla.
>>
>> Outline numbering works with styled paragraphs. The position of the
>> numbering is controlled in outline numbering.
>> 2 simple suggestions for an enhancement to avoid making changes in
>> the wrong place are;
>>
>> assuming menus are context aware, when you right click in an outline
>> numbered paragraph
>> -Make Paragraph.... Paragraph Style... and open the style for editing.
>> -Make Bullets and Numbering..... Chapter Numbering.... and open
>> Tools>Chapter Numbering....
>>
>> Interestingly, if I right click on the number of the outline numbered
>> paragraph and select Character, modifying the character attributes
>> modifies the character style for the number, as I feel would be good
>> for the 2 items above.
>>

>> Cheers, steve

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Enhancement for outline numbering

Which is why I wrote my little "note to self" howto. So few steps to get
right but easy to get in a knot.
I control all my paragraphs through styles now, I wish the right
click>paragraph or format>paragraph only worked with styles.

Steve