Envelopes print in wrong orientation

wdrago wdrago

Envelopes print in wrong orientation

        All,

        I'm try to print 6x8 envelopes. The text prints perpendicular to the
long edge instead of paralleled to it no matter what format I select in
the Insert Envelope wizard. I can't figure out what I'm doing
wrong.

        I'm pulling my hair out with this.

        Thanks,

        Bill

Alan Boba Alan Boba

Re: Envelopes print in wrong orientation

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 7:17 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

>         I&#39;m try to print 6x8 envelopes. The text prints perpendicular
> to the
> long edge instead of paralleled to it no matter what format I select in
> the Insert Envelope wizard. I can&#39;t figure out what I&#39;m doing
> wrong.

What version of LO, what operating system, what printer?

I just successfully printed a 6x9 as follows
1. open LO 50.2.2
2. select from menu "Insert | Envelope..."
3. on Envelope dialog
3.1. Envelope tab, enter addressee and sender
3.2. Format tab, select size User Defined, set Width 9", Height 6"
3.3. Set Addressee position, from left 4.5", from top 3"
3.4. Set Sender position, from left 1", from top 1"
3.5. Printer orientation, print from top, vertical center (am using HP LJ
1000), no change to shift values
4. Click new document
some kind of bug or error, the new document is 9x7.25 (it has a 1.25 inch
top margin for unknown reason)
5. Select "Format | Page" from the menu
6. change height to 6"
7. change top margin to 0"
8. click OK
9. grab each text box, sender and addressee, and move to desired position
(they're too low after removing the margin)
9. Click print

Resulting output is correctly printed envelope.

Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

Re: Envelopes print in wrong orientation

Hi Alan :

The bug you find under your list 4 is an old one.  I changed from
Microsoft Word years ago to OpenOffice and I was horrified at the
efforts to prepare an envelope compared with the ease in Word.

When I dropped Windows for linux about 18 months' ago, I moved to
LibreOffice 4.2.8.2 and saw that LO Writer had inherited the same bug
from OO.

My case involved a standard size European envelope to suit A4 paper
folded into a third (two folds on the long side) - approx 22cm x 11cm.
IIRC, this is the DL envelope in LO and OO.

LibreOffice (and OO) give in this case an unwanted 2" top margin. Your
workaround to correct paper size, adjust top margin, shift the text
boxes, is too much hassle if you've lots of envelopes to do.

My 'fix' was to create my own envelope template with the sender's
address filled in and an empty text box for the recipient.  Highlight
and copy the recipient's address from the letter before opening the
envelope template and then paste the address into the recipient's text
box and hit print button.

Interesting how these old bugs hang around and don't get killed off by a
cold winter.  Much be something to do with climate change.

Philip

On 14/12/15 03:47, Alan B wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 7:17 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>         I&#39;m try to print 6x8 envelopes. The text prints perpendicular
>> to the
>> long edge instead of paralleled to it no matter what format I select in
>> the Insert Envelope wizard. I can&#39;t figure out what I&#39;m doing
>> wrong.
>>
> What version of LO, what operating system, what printer?
>
> I just successfully printed a 6x9 as follows
> 1. open LO 50.2.2
> 2. select from menu "Insert | Envelope..."
> 3. on Envelope dialog
> 3.1. Envelope tab, enter addressee and sender
> 3.2. Format tab, select size User Defined, set Width 9", Height 6"
> 3.3. Set Addressee position, from left 4.5", from top 3"
> 3.4. Set Sender position, from left 1", from top 1"
> 3.5. Printer orientation, print from top, vertical center (am using HP LJ
> 1000), no change to shift values
> 4. Click new document
> some kind of bug or error, the new document is 9x7.25 (it has a 1.25 inch
> top margin for unknown reason)
> 5. Select "Format | Page" from the menu
> 6. change height to 6"
> 7. change top margin to 0"
> 8. click OK
> 9. grab each text box, sender and addressee, and move to desired position
> (they're too low after removing the margin)
> 9. Click print
>
> Resulting output is correctly printed envelope.

Alan Boba Alan Boba

Re: Envelopes print in wrong orientation

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 7:53 AM, Philip Jackson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> When I dropped Windows for linux about 18 months' ago, I moved to
> LibreOffice 4.2.8.2 and saw that LO Writer had inherited the same bug
> from OO.
>
> My case involved a standard size European envelope to suit A4 paper
> folded into a third (two folds on the long side) - approx 22cm x 11cm.
> IIRC, this is the DL envelope in LO and OO.
>
> LibreOffice (and OO) give in this case an unwanted 2" top margin. Your
> workaround to correct paper size, adjust top margin, shift the text
> boxes, is too much hassle if you've lots of envelopes to do.

Yes, that workaround is too much if envelopes are routinely being printed.
I did the same thing, create a template for #10 envelopes, when I was on LO
3.x. Even though I wasn't making lots of envelopes I seem to recall it was
even harder to get a properly printed envelope than the steps provided in
my response. Creating a template was the only way to consistently get a
properly printed envelope.

Since I've been on LO 5 I've only printed #10 envelopes using the menu
features (didn't bring the template forward to the new installation) and
haven't encountered any bug. I was surprised to see it rear its head when I
did the testing to reply to Bill's message. Since it's happening to you on
a different size perhaps the bug is a component of the envelope size or
maybe the printer setting or a combination.

Regardless, yes it is a very frustrating bug to deal with If I was a
programmer I certainly would try and resolve that one. But I'm not. So
can't do more than identify, develop workarounds, and hope for it to go
away.

Erik Jan Erik Jan

Alan B schreef op 14-12-15 om 14:26:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 7:53 AM, Philip Jackson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> When I dropped Windows for linux about 18 months' ago, I moved to
>> LibreOffice 4.2.8.2 and saw that LO Writer had inherited the same bug
>> from OO.
>>
>> My case involved a standard size European envelope to suit A4 paper
>> folded into a third (two folds on the long side) - approx 22cm x 11cm.
>> IIRC, this is the DL envelope in LO and OO.
>>
>> LibreOffice (and OO) give in this case an unwanted 2" top margin. Your
>> workaround to correct paper size, adjust top margin, shift the text
>> boxes, is too much hassle if you've lots of envelopes to do.
>>

> Yes, that workaround is too much if envelopes are routinely being printed.
> I did the same thing, create a template for #10 envelopes, when I was on LO
> 3.x. Even though I wasn't making lots of envelopes I seem to recall it was
> even harder to get a properly printed envelope than the steps provided in
> my response. Creating a template was the only way to consistently get a
> properly printed envelope.
>
> Since I've been on LO 5 I've only printed #10 envelopes using the menu
> features (didn't bring the template forward to the new installation) and
> haven't encountered any bug. I was surprised to see it rear its head when I
> did the testing to reply to Bill's message. Since it's happening to you on
> a different size perhaps the bug is a component of the envelope size or
> maybe the printer setting or a combination.
>
> Regardless, yes it is a very frustrating bug to deal with If I was a
> programmer I certainly would try and resolve that one. But I'm not. So
> can't do more than identify, develop workarounds, and hope for it to go
> away.

Coming from MS Word I was horrified to see that I could not print
envelopes, because OOo/LO did not permit landscape printing. I found
that the preset language type for printer was "PDF". When I changed this
to "Postscript" I could print in Landscape. If this is your problem:

Under "Print" -> "General" -> "Properties of Printer" -> "Apparatus"
choose "Language Type of Printer": "Postscript Level of printing
propgram". The alternative is "PDF". If you choose the latter, it is
impossible to print in Landscape. I am working with the Dutch language
version, so the choices above might be slightly different.

I hope this helps.

Greetings and good luck.

Erik