Epson XP-820 paper size setup

Gary Dale-2 Gary Dale-2

Epson XP-820 paper size setup

I'm running Debian/Bullseye and the printer is attached via USB cable.
My LibreOffice version is 7.0.3.1. My CUPS version is 2.3.3op1. The
printer is using the Epson ESC/P-R driver.

The printer works fine but one thing is driving me crazy. I need to
print to a 244mm x  149mm envelope sometimes. This should load through
the rear paper slot which is provided for this purpose. However I can't
tell Writer to use this size. The envelope is defined as that size but I
can only select one of a list of paper sizes for that printer in the
Print dialogue.

I have the same problem when I try to load the envelope into a paper
tray. I can tell the printer what size it is but that still doesn't show
up in Writer when I try to print.

To make things weird, a number of the paper sizes are given as "User
Defined: 9.999in x 9.999in" but I have no idea how they got there -
although some seem to be standard sizes (photos, envelopes, etc.).

Through trial and error (one or more errors per trial), I've come close
to getting an envelope to print reasonably without spraying ink outside
the paper range. However, the envelope document only vaguely resembles
what is printed. And I have to go through this again if I try to print
to a different paper size.

Is there a way I can tell Writer to use the paper size of the document
so that it actually prints the way I set it up?

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: Epson XP-820 paper size setup

Which operating system are you using?

On 12/9/20 1:13 PM, Gary Dale wrote:

> I'm running Debian/Bullseye and the printer is attached via USB cable.
> My LibreOffice version is 7.0.3.1. My CUPS version is 2.3.3op1. The
> printer is using the Epson ESC/P-R driver.
>
> The printer works fine but one thing is driving me crazy. I need to
> print to a 244mm x  149mm envelope sometimes. This should load through
> the rear paper slot which is provided for this purpose. However I
> can't tell Writer to use this size. The envelope is defined as that
> size but I can only select one of a list of paper sizes for that
> printer in the Print dialogue.
>
> I have the same problem when I try to load the envelope into a paper
> tray. I can tell the printer what size it is but that still doesn't
> show up in Writer when I try to print.
>
> To make things weird, a number of the paper sizes are given as "User
> Defined: 9.999in x 9.999in" but I have no idea how they got there -
> although some seem to be standard sizes (photos, envelopes, etc.).
>
> Through trial and error (one or more errors per trial), I've come
> close to getting an envelope to print reasonably without spraying ink
> outside the paper range. However, the envelope document only vaguely
> resembles what is printed. And I have to go through this again if I
> try to print to a different paper size.
>
> Is there a way I can tell Writer to use the paper size of the document
> so that it actually prints the way I set it up?

mikey mikey

Re: Epson XP-820 paper size setup

This isn't a solution, but have you tried printing the envelope page to
PDF, then printing that with a PDF viewer?

As far as I know Libreoffice does respect the page definition for PDF
creation, then you can work around the lack of proper integration of the LO
print dialogs to debian outside of LibreOffice... I do this type of thing
for custom pages all the time, but I'm still on LO6.3 running on Ubuntu
18.04.  I have a portable instance of 7.0.3 but I didn't fully test my
suggestion, only that the print dialog still looks similar to that in 6.3.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 1:03 PM Gary Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running Debian/Bullseye and the printer is attached via USB cable.
> My LibreOffice version is 7.0.3.1. My CUPS version is 2.3.3op1. The
> printer is using the Epson ESC/P-R driver.
>
> The printer works fine but one thing is driving me crazy. I need to
> print to a 244mm x  149mm envelope sometimes. This should load through
> the rear paper slot which is provided for this purpose. However I can't
> tell Writer to use this size. The envelope is defined as that size but I
> can only select one of a list of paper sizes for that printer in the
> Print dialogue.
>
> I have the same problem when I try to load the envelope into a paper
> tray. I can tell the printer what size it is but that still doesn't show
> up in Writer when I try to print.
>
> To make things weird, a number of the paper sizes are given as "User
> Defined: 9.999in x 9.999in" but I have no idea how they got there -
> although some seem to be standard sizes (photos, envelopes, etc.).
>
> Through trial and error (one or more errors per trial), I've come close
> to getting an envelope to print reasonably without spraying ink outside
> the paper range. However, the envelope document only vaguely resembles
> what is printed. And I have to go through this again if I try to print
> to a different paper size.
>
> Is there a way I can tell Writer to use the paper size of the document
> so that it actually prints the way I set it up?

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: Epson XP-820 paper size setup

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 13:49:03 -0500
"Paul D. Mirowsky" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Which operating system are you using?
>
> On 12/9/20 1:13 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
> > I'm running Debian/Bullseye

!!

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: Epson XP-820 paper size setup

I am using Ubuntu 20.04, debian/Bullseye should be similar.

In browser, type URL "localhost:631"

Click on "Administration" Tab. Click on "Manage Printers" button.

Click on the printers name you want.

Click on "Administration" menu button and select "Set Default Options".

At "Media Size" either select size you are looking for or define
"Custom" size.

Select "Custom" to print.

It may not be perfect because you may have to do a specialized select
whenever you want to print this size, but usually does work.

Note: Printer min/max sizes may not be available to do what you want as
defined by manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

Paul