Error messages on starting LO

Rev. Nick Sharp Rev. Nick Sharp

Error messages on starting LO

Whenever I open LibreOffice for the first time, whether it's a Writer,
Calc, Draw, Impress or Base document, new or existing, I get two error
messages popping up.

The first says,
Error loading BASIC of document
file:///c:/Users/Nick/AppData/Roaming/LibreOffice/3/user/basic/dialog.xlc:
General Error.
General input/output error.

The second says,
Error loading BASIC of document
file:///c:/Users/Nick/AppData/Roaming/LibreOffice/3/user/basic/dialog.xli:
General Error.
General input/output error.

That's identical, except it refers to dialog.xli, not dialog.xlc.

If I navigate to that location, the folder "basic" does not include a
file with either name, just one called script.xlc. There are two files
called dialog.xlb in two subfolders, Library1 and Standard.

Reinstalling hasn't helped.

LibreOffice 3.4.3 on Windows 7 64 bit.

I just dismiss the messages and carry on without any problems, so it's
not too bad, just a puzzle and an irritation.

Does anybody know what I can do to fix this?

Nick

NoOp NoOp

Re: Error messages on starting LO

On 09/26/2011 06:43 AM, Rev. Nick Sharp wrote:

> Whenever I open LibreOffice for the first time, whether it's a Writer,
> Calc, Draw, Impress or Base document, new or existing, I get two error
> messages popping up.
>
> The first says,
> Error loading BASIC of document
> file:///c:/Users/Nick/AppData/Roaming/LibreOffice/3/user/basic/dialog.xlc:
> General Error.
> General input/output error.
>
> The second says,
> Error loading BASIC of document
> file:///c:/Users/Nick/AppData/Roaming/LibreOffice/3/user/basic/dialog.xli:
> General Error.
> General input/output error.
>
> That's identical, except it refers to dialog.xli, not dialog.xlc.
>
> If I navigate to that location, the folder "basic" does not include a
> file with either name, just one called script.xlc. There are two files
> called dialog.xlb in two subfolders, Library1 and Standard.
>
> Reinstalling hasn't helped.

That's because these errors typically caused by corrupt files in the
user profile. When you reinstall, the profile is left intact & you're
still using the same corrupt profile as before.

> LibreOffice 3.4.3 on Windows 7 64 bit.

This also happens on linux as well.

Halt LO (including Quickstarter if you have it turned on) and rename:
c:/Users/Nick/AppData/Roaming/LibreOffice/
c:/Users/Nick/AppData/Roaming/LibreOffice_backup/

Restart LO and that will create a new profile as:
c:/Users/Nick/AppData/Roaming/LibreOffice/3/user/

Note: by doing that you will have to reset any settings that you had in
your other profile, but you still have the old profile as a backup if
necessary.

Ref:
<http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/misc/Troubleshooting_guide.html#7.General%20error%20or%20General%20input/output%20error%20|outline>

Rev. Nick Sharp Rev. Nick Sharp

Re: Error messages on starting LO

Thanks - that did the trick.

NoOp NoOp

On 09/26/2011 11:21 AM, Rev. Nick Sharp wrote:
> Thanks - that did the trick.

You are most welcome Rev.

Lena Lena

NoOp <glgxg <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On 09/26/2011 11:21 AM, Rev. Nick Sharp wrote:
> > Thanks - that did the trick.

> You are most welcome Rev.

Hi, guys
I have the same errors at my mac LibreOffice 3.4.5 OOO340m1(Build:502)
I need to correct the user profile? How?
Thanks

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Error messages on starting LO

Hi Lena,

Lena wrote (24-01-12 00:20)

> I have the same errors at my mac LibreOffice 3.4.5 OOO340m1(Build:502)
> I need to correct the user profile? How?

I don't know where Mac has the user profile. But you can find out
yourself when you look at Tools > Options > LO General > Paths

There is something as ../LibreOffice/user/3
If you rename that folder (when LibreOffice is not running) and then
restart LibreOffice, you'll have a fresh user profile.

HTH,
best,

--
  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

laurent alonso laurent alonso

Le 24 janv. 2012 à 10:11, Cor Nouws a écrit :

> Hi Lena,
>
> Lena wrote (24-01-12 00:20)
>
>> I have the same errors at my mac LibreOffice 3.4.5 OOO340m1(Build:502)
>> I need to correct the user profile? How?
>
> I don't know where Mac has the user profile. But you can find out yourself when you look at Tools > Options > LO General > Paths
>
> There is something as ../LibreOffice/user/3
> If you rename that folder (when LibreOffice is not running) and then restart LibreOffice, you'll have a fresh user profile.
>
> HTH,
> best,

        Hello Lena,
on OsX 10.6 and LibreOffice 3.5 beta, you can find the paths' list by going to the menu
LibreOffice > Preferences... then in the preferences' windows : LibreOffice > Paths
In my case, the directory is << ~/Library/Application Support/LibreOffice/3/user/ >> .

        Note: on OsX 10.7, this repository will be hidden,  but
http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/22/access-user-library-folder-in-os-x-lion/
explains how to access it .

--
  Amicalement,
    Laurent.

Tom Tom

Re: Error messages on starting LO

This guide might help?
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/UserProfile
but Cor is right because you can change from the default given in that guide (allegedly) so it's possible yours is completely different.  Cor's method is the only way of being completely certain of where your profile is.
Silvain Dupertuis Silvain Dupertuis

Re: Error messages on starting LO

I had this annoying problem
1. I looked for a dialog.xlc file [1]
2. I Found one in two places
– C:\Program Files (x86)\LibreOffice 3.5\presets\basic, 1KB
– C:\Program Files (x86)\LibreOffice 3.5\share\basic, 2KB
   (on Windows 7 where I had the problem – in Ubuntu it worked fine)
3. Copied it to where it complained not to find it
– C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\3\user\basic
Resutls
=> the erreor message has disappeared
=> the extensions are working again
THANKS