Euro symbol not inserted into write documents

AG AG

Euro symbol not inserted into write documents

Greetings all

In LibO Write, I am unable to insert the special character of the Euro
symbol into the text.  I can in Calc, but in Write when I try to do so
all that is shown is a slim grey bar where the symbol should be.

I am using the Symbol fonts (which is the only place I could find the
Euro symbol) on an up-to-date GNU/Linux Debian testing machine.

Has anyone else come across this, and what are the fixes/ work-arounds?

Many thanks

AG

RGB.ES RGB.ES

Re: Euro symbol not inserted into write documents

Almost all modern typefaces include the euro symbol, no need to use a
different font for that: it's unicode 20AC. If you for any reason
can't find it, just press Ctrl+Shift+U (you will see an underlined u),
then type 20ac and press Enter: the euro symbol € will appear.
This works not only on LibO but also on any GTK app under Linux (on
KDE 4.5+ apps you have the "Character runner")
Cheers
Ricardo

Jean-Baptiste_Faure Jean-Baptiste_Faure

Le 19/03/2011 09:41, AG a écrit :

> Greetings all
>
> In LibO Write, I am unable to insert the special character of the Euro
> symbol into the text.  I can in Calc, but in Write when I try to do so
> all that is shown is a slim grey bar where the symbol should be.
>
> I am using the Symbol fonts (which is the only place I could find the
> Euro symbol) on an up-to-date GNU/Linux Debian testing machine.
>
> Has anyone else come across this, and what are the fixes/ work-arounds?
>
> Many thanks
>
> AG

Hi,

Have you tried AltGr+E with some common fonts like DejaVu or Liberation ?

JBF

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Euro symbol not inserted into write documents

AG wrote (19-03-11 09:41)
> In LibO Write, I am unable to insert the special character of the Euro
> symbol into the text. I can in Calc, but in Write when I try to do so
> all that is shown is a slim grey bar where the symbol should be.
>
> I am using the Symbol fonts (which is the only place I could find the
> Euro symbol) on an up-to-date GNU/Linux Debian testing machine.
>
> Has anyone else come across this, and what are the fixes/ work-arounds?

I have seen some posts on the developer list about possibly two Symbol
fonts that can be installed. One system wide and one in the LibreOffice
Share path.
In the current situation, that can lead to random display errors
(depending on circumstances, probably..)
Maybe you can check if you have two Symbol fonts installed?

Best,
Cor

--
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

On 3/19/11 12:28 PM, Cor Nouws wrote:

> Hi,
>
> AG wrote (19-03-11 09:41)
>> In LibO Write, I am unable to insert the special character of the Euro
>> symbol into the text. I can in Calc, but in Write when I try to do so
>> all that is shown is a slim grey bar where the symbol should be.
>>
>> I am using the Symbol fonts (which is the only place I could find the
>> Euro symbol) on an up-to-date GNU/Linux Debian testing machine.
>>
>> Has anyone else come across this, and what are the fixes/ work-arounds?
>
> I have seen some posts on the developer list about possibly two Symbol
> fonts that can be installed. One system wide and one in the
> LibreOffice Share path.
> In the current situation, that can lead to random display errors
> (depending on circumstances, probably..)
> Maybe you can check if you have two Symbol fonts installed?
>
> Best,
> Cor

I honestly think the one in the share path should be removed, and system
fonts be used. I think it would cause the least issues in regards to
symbols etc.

AG AG

On 19/03/11 09:02, RGB ES wrote:
> Almost all modern typefaces include the euro symbol, no need to use a
> different font for that: it's unicode 20AC. If you for any reason
> can't find it, just press Ctrl+Shift+U (you will see an underlined u),
> then type 20ac and press Enter: the euro symbol € will appear.

Ricardo

Thanks - this is the fix. Cheers.

AG

Tinkerer Tinkerer

Re: Euro symbol not inserted into write documents

On my keyboard Option+2 prints €.

Tink
Mark Preston Mark Preston

Re: Euro symbol not inserted into write documents

How odd. Here in the UK - and most other places I've seen, <Alt Gr> +
(numeral) 4 produces the Euro symbol.

Simon Cropper (The foss Workflow Guides) Simon Cropper (The foss Workflow Guides)

On 25/03/11 09:18, Mark Preston wrote:

> How odd. Here in the UK - and most other places I've seen,<Alt Gr>  +
> (numeral) 4 produces the Euro symbol.
>
> On 23/03/2011 18:55, Tinkerer wrote:
>> On my keyboard Option+2 prints €.
>>
>> Tink

Mark,

The euro symbol (U+20AC) can be found in most common fonts.

You can create a macro that inserts the symbol then attach this macro to
any keystroke combination you like.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper
    Principal Consultant
    Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd
    PO Box 160, Sunshine, VIC
    W: www.botanicusaustralia.com.au

Tinkerer Tinkerer

Re: Euro symbol not inserted into write documents

Hi Mark

I am in the UK too.
Perhaps I should have mentioned, I am using an iMac System 10.6.6
Shift 3 = £
Shift 4 = $
Alt    2 = €

The € is universal now and you should not need to use things like macro's

Tink.
Mark Preston Mark Preston

Re: Euro symbol not inserted into write documents

Yes, I'm aware you can do that. I was talking about the standard
keyboard - which I thought Tinkerer was too.

mhenriday mhenriday

2011/3/25 Tinkerer <[hidden email]>

> Hi Mark
>
> I am in the UK too.
> Perhaps I should have mentioned, I am using an iMac System 10.6.6
> Shift 3 = £
> Shift 4 = $
> Alt    2 = €
>
> The € is universal now and you should not need to use things like macro's
>
> Tink.

On the standard 105-key Scandinavian keyboard, the symbol «€» is most easily
typed via «Alt Gr + e». Doesn't this procedure work on English-language
keyboards ?...

Henri

AG AG

On 24/03/11 22:18, Mark Preston wrote:

> How odd. Here in the UK - and most other places I've seen,<Alt Gr>  +
> (numeral) 4 produces the Euro symbol.
>
> On 23/03/2011 18:55, Tinkerer wrote:
>
>> On my keyboard Option+2 prints €.
>>
>> Tink

Thanks - actually, it does on mine too. Just didn't clock that option!

Cheers.

AG